Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

It was right there in the episode title from last week's preview.

Well, yeah, but it's not like you get hard every time you say the word. Unless you do, in which case you should get that checked.
(Also I didn't pay attention to the episode name.)

Mikl posted:

Counterpoint: Hirokawa. After he was revealed to have been human, everyone even remotely associated with parasites, human brain or not, should be suspected.

Not a counterpoint, because all that means is that some crazy fanatic human decided to side with the parasytes out of his own personal bias. The organization believes that parasytes always target the head, and while Gotoh proved that parasytes could also replace other body parts, there's still no evidence to suggest that it can happen in the case of the body still having a human brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ViggyNash posted:

Not a counterpoint, because all that means is that some crazy fanatic human decided to side with the parasytes out of his own personal bias. The organization believes that parasytes always target the head, and while Gotoh proved that parasytes could also replace other body parts, there's still no evidence to suggest that it can happen in the case of the body still having a human brain.

I didn't get my point across very well, sorry. I meant that at this point it shouldn't matter whether Shinichi's a parasite or not since they found out that Hirokawa, a human, was willing to help parasites. They can no longer dismiss things like Shinichi being heavily involved with parasites (first his mom and then Tamura, and clearly having met Gotou before), by saying "Yeah but he's human, so he's on our side".

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I did not expect at all that Hirokawa was a human all along. I mean, he acted just like a parasite, had the same usual facial expression, met them in several occasions... You have to wonder how he didn't get killed by a rogue parasite at some point, but it's pretty cool that they blurred the lines between the parasites and the humans like that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Migi is the helping hand.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

I didn't get my point across very well, sorry. I meant that at this point it shouldn't matter whether Shinichi's a parasite or not since they found out that Hirokawa, a human, was willing to help parasites. They can no longer dismiss things like Shinichi being heavily involved with parasites (first his mom and then Tamura, and clearly having met Gotou before), by saying "Yeah but he's human, so he's on our side".

Ah, yeah I didn't get that the first time. Makes sense though.

Huragok posted:

Migi is the helping hand.

You are both terrible people, making me laugh this hard.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How come japanese stuff alwasy has the most masochistic poo poo in it? I've only watched 2 episodes, but already in the second one the thugs are throwing stones to a cat that's buried neck-deep in playground sand. The logistics of that seem pretty impossible. AlSo it's pretty hosed up.

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches

ManOfTheYear posted:

How come japanese stuff alwasy has the most masochistic poo poo in it? I've only watched 2 episodes, but already in the second one the thugs are throwing stones to a cat that's buried neck-deep in playground sand. The logistics of that seem pretty impossible. AlSo it's pretty hosed up.

Masochistic?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CasualMaleXL posted:

Masochistic?

Obviously, the cat was enjoying it. What, you didn't get that vibe?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

CasualMaleXL posted:

Masochistic?

Welp, wrong word, sadistic was what I was after.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The story called for people doing something bad to an animal.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ManOfTheYear posted:

Unfortunately that's a pretty realistic depiction of the sort of things bored teenagers often do.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Unfortunately that's a pretty realistic depiction of the sort of things bored teenagers often do.

You must know some extremely hosed up teenagers.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Read posted:

I have had to intervene three or four times to stop kids from strapping firecrackers, usually M80s or the ones all strung together, to stray cats and blowing them up. Once I found a group of 10-12 year old kids with a cat they had caught, they had constructed a makeshift cage using little sections of garden fence and had poured a puddle of gasoline in the cage under the cat, they had the matches in hand when I caught them. This was in the garage of one of the kids homes, when the mother came out and found out what her son had been up to he got the poo poo slapped out of him and a spanking afterwards. I don't approve of beating your kids but I have a hard time summoning up sympathy with some of these little shits.

So yeah, kids can be little monsters. :sigh:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jesus loving christ.

Maybe I just lucked out with where I grew up, I've never heard of something like that happening.

e: Actually thinking back I remember stopping kids throwing rocks at a family of ducks, which is a far cry from some of that poo poo but I guess I can see where it comes from.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Read posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Maybe I just lucked out with where I grew up, I've never heard of something like that happening.

e: Actually thinking back I remember stopping kids throwing rocks at a family of ducks, which is a far cry from some of that poo poo but I guess I can see where it comes from.

I could tell you significantly worse stuff if you want.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I have had to intervene three or four times to stop kids from strapping firecrackers, usually M80s or the ones all strung together, to stray cats and blowing them up. Once I found a group of 10-12 year old kids with a cat they had caught, they had constructed a makeshift cage using little sections of garden fence and had poured a puddle of gasoline in the cage under the cat, they had the matches in hand when I caught them. This was in the garage of one of the kids homes, when the mother came out and found out what her son had been up to he got the poo poo slapped out of him and a spanking afterwards. I don't approve of beating your kids but I have a hard time summoning up sympathy with some of these little shits.

Yeaaaah, I don't think this is too normal. I work with kids and used to work in children's protective services and I haven't seen stuff like this. Where the gently caress did you live man?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yeaaaah, I don't think this is too normal. I work with kids and used to work in children's protective services and I haven't seen stuff like this. Where the gently caress did you live man?

This all happened in New Haven Connecticut in the 90s, well, that stuff and worse. There was an incident at the middle school I used to go to where a mentally handicapped and (mostly)mute boy was bound and gagged in a bathroom stall by the local bullies and they burned him all over one arm with cigarettes and matches, they also tore out one of his fingernails. Another time they smashed another kid in the back of the head with a fist sized rock and put him in the hospital. They did some pretty horrible stuff to me too but I don't really want to talk about it right now.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This all happened in New Haven Connecticut in the 90s, well, that stuff and worse. There was an incident at the middle school I used to go to where a mentally handicapped and (mostly)mute boy was bound and gagged in a bathroom stall by the local bullies and they burned him all over one arm with cigarettes and matches, they also tore out one of his fingernails. Another time they smashed another kid in the back of the head with a fist sized rock and put him in the hospital. They did some pretty horrible stuff to me too but I don't really want to talk about it right now.

Wow, that's some stuff. I guess the sadistic stuff in anime isn't that far-fetched then. The worst families I knew dealt drugs and fought each other and kids experienced sexual abuse and the like, but they just kinda stuck in their own circles, nothing like you experienced. Do you know what happened to those guys once they got older? Are they dead or in prison?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't approve of beating your kids but I have a hard time summoning up sympathy with some of these little shits.

The whole reason kids are little monsters is because their parents don't beat them

Read
Dec 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

The whole reason kids are little monsters is because their parents don't beat them

You're missing the little sarcasm tag.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If that were my kid, I don't even know. Granted, I have a cat sleeping on me and I don't have kids, but loving gently caress that has me seeing red.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Read posted:

I almost got drowned by a bored neighbor kid once. There's absolutely no dumb poo poo that people won't do. Not a single god drat thing. I watched the movie "The Good Son" recently and just went "yep". :negative::hf::v: Anyone who never got exposed to bad decisions by other kids lucked out.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Read posted:

You're missing the little sarcasm tag.

Why would I add a sarcasm tag

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ManOfTheYear posted:

Wow, that's some stuff. I guess the sadistic stuff in anime isn't that far-fetched then. The worst families I knew dealt drugs and fought each other and kids experienced sexual abuse and the like, but they just kinda stuck in their own circles, nothing like you experienced. Do you know what happened to those guys once they got older? Are they dead or in prison?

There is a reason Lord of The Flies is so widely taught in schools. It's frighteningly easy for children to develop in such a way where they completely lack a true sense of empathy/moral compass without decent adult guidance. I'm not saying I think all kids are borderline psychopaths, but those kinds of violent tendencies are more common than we'd like to acknowledge. I'd say you're very fortunate for not having encountered more of that sort of thing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Grown men and women are perfectly capable of inducing children, and even other adults, to commit horrendous acts of violence. Children may be less susceptible to social cues, but adults will happily follow them even if they result in the deaths of those in the outgroup.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

I have no idea what happened to most of them, but the last time I saw the ringleader of all the bullying he was on his way to the hospital.

You see there was this one kid who must have had gigantism or something because at twelve years old he was like six and a half feet tall, he was also somewhat mentally handicapped but he was a really nice person, sort of a classic "gentle giant", we will call him Michael though that isn't his actual name. Anyway, the bullies avoided him for the most part, I'm guessing because he was so damned huge, until a certain incident. The bullies were harassing some neighborhood kid who was walking his dog and they started kicking and hitting the dog, the dog started yelping loudly and apparently Michael heard the dog and went to see what was going on. Michael ran over and started shouting "Go away!" at the top of his lungs and then picked up the dog and ran off with it, he was found later petting the dog and feeding it cornflakes and milk in his garage, the dog was returned and the whole thing was over right?

Well, the leader of the bullies was apparently pissed that his fun had been ruined and that some of his little clique had gotten in trouble with their parents over the whole dog incident so he started harassing Michael. One day just before school everyone was waiting outside the school for the doors to be unlocked like we did every morning. The ringleader of the bullies and a couple of his gang had cornered Michael and were doing things like kicking him while he sort of crouched and cowered away from them, then the ringleader had a "bright" idea and he pulled out a folding pocket knife. He started swinging it at Michael but not close enough to make contact and then he actually stabbed Michael in the arm. Michael must have snapped or panicked or something because he grabbed the bully, picked him up and threw him into the brick wall of the school. There was a giant commotion and one of the janitorial staff came out to see what was going on and sent some kids to get the principal, an ambulance was called and the bully was carted off with a big crack in his skull. I don't know what happened to him after that but my honest feeling at the time was that I hoped he would die, I'm not proud of that but I really hated that kid and all the things he did to me and everyone else.

Shortly after that my parents took me out of that school and we moved, I started going to a different school without a bullying problem and life was much better after that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Grown men and women are perfectly capable of inducing children, and even other adults, to commit horrendous acts of violence. Children may be less susceptible to social cues, but adults will happily follow them even if they result in the deaths of those in the outgroup.

Hence, ISIS.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I have no idea what happened to most of them, but the last time I saw the ringleader of all the bullying he was on his way to the hospital.

You see there was this one kid who must have had gigantism or something because at twelve years old he was like six and a half feet tall, he was also somewhat mentally handicapped but he was a really nice person, sort of a classic "gentle giant", we will call him Michael though that isn't his actual name. Anyway, the bullies avoided him for the most part, I'm guessing because he was so damned huge, until a certain incident. The bullies were harassing some neighborhood kid who was walking his dog and they started kicking and hitting the dog, the dog started yelping loudly and apparently Michael heard the dog and went to see what was going on. Michael ran over and started shouting "Go away!" at the top of his lungs and then picked up the dog and ran off with it, he was found later petting the dog and feeding it cornflakes and milk in his garage, the dog was returned and the whole thing was over right?

Well, the leader of the bullies was apparently pissed that his fun had been ruined and that some of his little clique had gotten in trouble with their parents over the whole dog incident so he started harassing Michael. One day just before school everyone was waiting outside the school for the doors to be unlocked like we did every morning. The ringleader of the bullies and a couple of his gang had cornered Michael and were doing things like kicking him while he sort of crouched and cowered away from them, then the ringleader had a "bright" idea and he pulled out a folding pocket knife. He started swinging it at Michael but not close enough to make contact and then he actually stabbed Michael in the arm. Michael must have snapped or panicked or something because he grabbed the bully, picked him up and threw him into the brick wall of the school. There was a giant commotion and one of the janitorial staff came out to see what was going on and sent some kids to get the principal, an ambulance was called and the bully was carted off with a big crack in his skull. I don't know what happened to him after that but my honest feeling at the time was that I hoped he would die, I'm not proud of that but I really hated that kid and all the things he did to me and everyone else.

Shortly after that my parents took me out of that school and we moved, I started going to a different school without a bullying problem and life was much better after that.

Holy gently caress... :psyduck:

Props to your parents for getting you out of there.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

lol i bet that michael kid had a huge dick

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, things like this aren't incredibly rare, especially in particularly poor areas. There was one incident in my primary school where a 9 year old and his 11 year old brother cornered an 8 year old in an alley somewhere and beat him into hospital with planks of wood.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

I got my poo poo kicked in when I rescued a cat inside of a bag a bunch of teenagers threw into a creek.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Do remember that psychopathy is essentially arrested development. Psychopaths literally have the moral compasses of five-year-olds.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I'm just happy the sex scene was normal instead of ANIMUUUU.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Agreed. I was really surprised that the whole scene was handled so well.

Real humans in an anime what the gently caress.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I am still waiting for the inevitable Kana Hanazawa vs Aya Hirano showdown but I guess they sortof had a threesome instead?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was like 6 episodes behind, so that was a hell of an arc to power through in an afternoon.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is a really good anim and a solid adaptation of the original work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They kind of underplayed the fight with Gotoh and Migi's death in the first half. Robbed the ep of a good chunk of its impact. The music/sound direction continuing to be functional at best didn't help, either.

Despite the changes from the source material, this somehow feels like a very unimaginative adaptation.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

They kind of underplayed the fight with Gotoh and Migi's death in the first half. Robbed the ep of a good chunk of its impact. The music/sound direction continuing to be functional at best didn't help, either.

Despite the changes from the source material, this somehow feels like a very unimaginative adaptation.

Yeah, that was a rather pitiful episode. Migi's death had very little impact, and the granny wasn't all that interesting. And yeah, the sound design continues to be amusingly absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, that was a rather pitiful episode. Migi's death had very little impact, and the granny wasn't all that interesting. And yeah, the sound design continues to be amusingly absurd.

Likely because we hear strong evidence that Migi is still alive via the dream. I would strongly suspect that given that Gotou has multiple parasites, that he absorbed Migi. He's not dead, he's just now a part of Gotou

• Locked thread