Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Germstore posted:

There's nothing wrong with technophiles though. I love technology. Thanks to technology I've seen more tits today than any of my ancestors saw their entire life.

There's actually a lot wrong with them, you retard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Improbable Lobster posted:

OK

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Improbable Lobster posted:

OH poo poo YOU GOT HIM

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

How about instead of giving "transhumanists" credit for things people who've never even heard of transhumanism did and saying all the ones we see are just the wierd fringers of this vast silent majority you just link to one self-described member of the transhumanist movement who's not a complete fucken retard broski

How about that

You seem really worked up over the definition of a word. :shrug:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SolTerrasa posted:

He might be a secret crazy person, but I met Amal Graafstra at Toorcamp 2014, and he seems pretty sane, if a little over excited about the prospects of what he's been working on. Still, he actually *does* something, which I respect. In that way, he's very different from the cyberdick dragon folks.

Here's his TEDx talk, I saw a version of it at Toorcamp.
http://youtu.be/7DxVWhFLI6E

This guy seems fun and I'd have a beer with him, I am glad that at no point does he suggest sticking a better phonepoker under his skin has made him a superman. More dudes injecting themselves with weird poo poo from industrial supply catalogues to see what happens less self-styled Galileos of the modern day imo.

lol at the dudes on the see infrared diet tho that won't end well

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 2, 2015

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tiggum posted:

You seem really worked up over the definition of a word. :shrug:
He really doesn't.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Since he's such an animu nerd, I wonder what Yudkowsky would think of Fullmetal Alchemist, which pushes the "deathist" angle much, much harder than Harry Potter ever did, what with the only way to cheat death being to make a literal human soul concentrate by sacrificing living humans, and the entire plot being about what an abomination this is and the hubris in trying to transcend the human condition.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Woolie Wool posted:

Since he's such an animu nerd, I wonder what Yudkowsky would think of Fullmetal Alchemist, which pushes the "deathist" angle much, much harder than Harry Potter ever did, what with the only way to cheat death being to make a literal human soul concentrate by sacrificing living humans, and the entire plot being about what an abomination this is and the hubris in trying to transcend the human condition.
I think he said somewhere that he liked FMA. Maybe he wasn't really paying attention.

FMA is actually interesting in that it is somewhat transhumanist but anti-immortalist. So the opposite of Yud who is immortalist but anti-transhumanist and anti-singularitarian.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
He has been updating the Harry Potter fanfic and right now is taking suggestions on how our Rational Protagonist can escape from his situation in a scenario that some point out is eerily familiar to a powerless AI having to convince a powerful overlord to be let out of the box to spare him.

Also, he has been saying that there were *totally serious story reasons* why Harry Potter was such an obnoxious twat and not because he was a self-insert and of course everyone is stupid untermensch for not realizing that because obviously Yudkowsky is a master writer so we should have seen that Harry had been behaving oddly (again, because he is totally not a self-insert).

Namarrgon posted:

That said I like his Harry Potter fanfic more than the original honestly. Though I liked it less when I learned it was an author self-insert and the Harry Potter of the story is supposed to be sympathetic.

I take this back.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 2, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Yes but it's worth the sacrifice if the abomination lives long enough because the good it experiences will eventually outweigh the sacrificial plebs.

SHUT UP AND MULTIPLY

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Lmao do these people ever see the light of day or do they just sit around being loving stupid all the time. Like who the gently caress writes fanfic how is that even a thing that exists cant u just come up with an original idea and write about that instead.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I think I've found a much superior version, anyway

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Yes but it's worth the sacrifice if the abomination lives long enough because the good it experiences will eventually outweigh the sacrificial plebs.

SHUT UP AND MULTIPLY

Well the whole point of the equivalent exchange business was that it doesn't work that way, you deplete the soul juice and have to kill more and more and more. But I guess if you think the lives of normal people have little or no value then...

Oh. Right. These people think that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

roymorrison posted:

Lmao do these people ever see the light of day or do they just sit around being loving stupid all the time.
:goonsay:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Namarrgon posted:

He has been updating the Harry Potter fanfic and right now is taking suggestions on how our Rational Protagonist can escape from his situation in a scenario that some point out is eerily familiar to a powerless AI having to convince a powerful overlord to be let out of the box to spare him.

Also, he has been saying that there were *totally serious story reasons* why Harry Potter was such an obnoxious twat and not because he was a self-insert and of course everyone is stupid untermensch for not realizing that because obviously Yudkowsky is a master writer so we should have seen that Harry had been behaving oddly (again, because he is totally not a self-insert).

I take this back.
That twist incidentally is that he actually does have the mind of a middle-aged megalomaniac, and I suppose it represents a hint of cleverness that that maniac is in fact Tom Riddle, aka Voldemort's non-ring name. Evidently if he'd been raised normally, Harry would have just been a rival maniac, but since he's been exposed to THE POWER OF THE BAYESIAN THEOREM he is instead going to blow up the universe.

Kind of mixing your messages there, Elizier.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
No, you see, blowing up the universe is good and cool because all it's in all the animes and it's such an ~Evil Genius~ thing to do.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Nessus posted:

That twist incidentally is that he actually does have the mind of a middle-aged megalomaniac, and I suppose it represents a hint of cleverness that that maniac is in fact Tom Riddle, aka Voldemort's non-ring name. Evidently if he'd been raised normally, Harry would have just been a rival maniac, but since he's been exposed to THE POWER OF THE BAYESIAN THEOREM he is instead going to blow up the universe.

The thing is, Elizier claims not to have read Harry Potter. If he had put in even a small amount of world building (modern magic with something unique) and some character development he wouldn't have needed to write a fanfic; he could have just written a novel. Hell, you can keep almost the entire story the same but change details and it would still have passed as an original work (magic school and evil wizards are not exactly rare stories).

So much wasted potential. He is not an incompetent writer, but there is just NO REASON FOR THIS TO BE A FANFIC except laziness.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Laziness, and the opportunity to poo poo on the original.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

An actually good writer who did read the books and uses the source material as a base to teach young people basic reasoning skills would actually be interesting. Unfortunately Eliezer Yudkowsky is not a good writer, didn't read the books, is not as good at basic reasoning as he thinks he is, and probably couldn't entertain an audience of children (real children, not manchildren) if his life depended on it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

An actually good writer who did read the books and uses the source material as a base to teach young people basic reasoning skills would actually be interesting. Unfortunately Eliezer Yudkowsky is not a good writer, didn't read the books, is not as good at basic reasoning as he thinks he is, and probably couldn't entertain an audience of children (real children, not manchildren) if his life depended on it.

Well the only reason we know about him is he's apparently gathered a little story circle of grown adults who want to talk at length about what if Wall-E was real and your friend

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Did he ever have an epiphany about how most of his "paradoxes" are bullshit that comes from not understanding how conditional probabilities work?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did he ever have an epiphany about how most of his "paradoxes" are bullshit that comes from not understanding how conditional probabilities work?

Not that I know of, please elaborate.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SolTerrasa posted:

Not that I know of, please elaborate.

My first post in this thread, way back:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Finally finished reading the thread. What a ride! As someone who has actually worked with Bayesian probability, I can tell you right now why precisely Yudkowsky is full of crap.

The basic idea in Bayesian probability is that it is meaningless to talk about probability in isolation. Probability is always conditional. You always write P(B|A), meaning "probability of B given A". Even when you have P(A), it just means P(A|I), where I embodies your assumptions about the system you are dealing with.

Why is this important? Because P(B|A) and P(B|C) need not be the same at all. Now let's say we have:

P("this person is serious"|"he says he is going to torture 1 person if I don't give him $10")

There is no reason to think that this is equal to:

P("this person is serious"|"he says he is going to torture 10 people if I don't give him $10")

In fact, I would be willing to bet that it is more than 10 times smaller. And similarly for 100. So if you look at:

nP("this person is serious"|"he says he is going to torture n people if I don't give him $10")

which is the expected number of tortured people by this person, assuming we don't have any other evidence other than his bald statement, this value is going to go to zero as n goes to infinity, rather than any finite number.

There. That's it. All of this guy's arguments are rubbish. drat him for sullying Bayesian probability/statistics/data analysis.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, I remember that! He doesn't call them paradoxes as far as I know, but no, he's never explicitly stated his assumption that the expected value of a torture threat to n people is monotonically decreasing on n, or his assumption that it's unboundedly decreasing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:viggo: ZERO ISNT A PROBABILITY FUCKNUTS

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tunicate posted:

ZERO ISNT A PROBABILITY FUCKNUTS

What is going to zero isn't the probability, it's the expected value, which is a measure of how much we should give a poo poo about a threat. (Hint: not much, and less the crazier the threat by the same person with no substantiation).

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

SolTerrasa posted:

Oh, I remember that! He doesn't call them paradoxes as far as I know, but no, he's never explicitly stated his assumption that the expected value of a torture threat to n people is monotonically decreasing on n, or his assumption that it's unboundedly decreasing.

But he doesn't seem to do this in the case of the torture AI. Or any of his future projections. Even his utility function arguments where he calculates that 1 dollar equals x lives improved in the future from immanentizing the digital eschaton assumes that the value is the same as n increases.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 3, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Political Whores posted:

But he doesn't seem to do this in the case of the torture AI. Or any of his future projections. Even his utility function arguments where he calculates that 1 dollar equals x lives improved in the future from immanentizing the digital eschaton assumes that the value is the same as n increases.

Currently still analog, thanks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Transhumanism is better understood as an artistic concept than a philosophical one. The motif of transcending humanness through technology is definitely expressed in the modern understanding of the interplay between invention, art, and imagination. It's pretty cool sometimes.

Your typical self-styled transhumanist is a dumbshit who doesn't know anything about art, philosophy, invention, or imagination. This is the kind of reject who thinks that they're living in an anime and that science fiction is actually about the future because, duh, it says it's set in the 24th century right there in black and white. (Give or take the odd doomed naif trying to "reclaim" the term or whatever.)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

(Give or take the odd doomed naif trying to "reclaim" the term or whatever.)

Way to own yourself there duder.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh hey, Scott linked a twitter rationalist! Let's see what kind of cool ideas this guy has!

https://twitter.com/graaaaaagh/status/565973046121332736

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
What is with the "rationalist" obsession with utilions? Of treating all experiences not just as a number, but as an interchangeable number? If torturing chickens has any value, then "rationally", if you torture ENOUGH chickens that's EXACTLY THE SAME as torturing a human! Would the concept that torturing any number of chickens is simply not comparable in any meaningful sense to torturing a human blow their minds? I'm not saying torturing a chicken isn't bad, or that torturing more chickens isn't worse, or even that torturing their favorite number 3^^^^3 chickens isn't an atrocity, but it's a non-comparable, completely different atrocity than torturing a human.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

What is with the "rationalist" obsession with utilions? Of treating all experiences not just as a number, but as an interchangeable number? If torturing chickens has any value, then "rationally", if you torture ENOUGH chickens that's EXACTLY THE SAME as torturing a human! Would the concept that torturing any number of chickens is simply not comparable in any meaningful sense to torturing a human blow their minds? I'm not saying torturing a chicken isn't bad, or that torturing more chickens isn't worse, or even that torturing their favorite number 3^^^^3 chickens isn't an atrocity, but it's a non-comparable, completely different atrocity than torturing a human.

Because it makes the math easy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

This, but unironically, even though I can't tell if he's referring to Israel or just the current trend of anti-immigration rhetoric in the political West.

"Hrrmmnnyes, the fact that you don't understand me just proves how smart I am" :chord:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Iunnrais posted:

The best ethical model for justifying being a huge douche through basic sophistry of all the ones taught in Intro to Philosophy

Renaissance Robot posted:

This, but unironically, even though I can't tell if he's referring to Israel or just the current trend of anti-immigration rhetoric in the political West.

"Hrrmmnnyes, the fact that you don't understand me just proves how smart I am" :chord:

Going by his other tweets, almost certainly Reddit's Race Realist Rhodesia Redux. He's not talking about anti-immigration sentiment, he's talking about the corrupting Western religion of white self-hatred

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 5, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Renaissance Robot posted:

He's a white nationalist, like every other person Scott Alexander likes to promote.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Going by his other tweets, almost certainly Reddit's Race Realist Rhodesia Redux. He's not talking about anti-immigration sentiment, he's talking about the corrupting Western religion of white self-hatred

If I'm reading this right, he's attempting to use the correct assertion that white guilt is dumb as a justification of the correctness of the opposite position, ie: naked white supremacism is fine if it's true (which is all the time, naturally)

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014
Delusions of grandeur

http://hpmor.com/notes/119/

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

lunacy afterword posted:

I decided long ago that once HPMOR was fully written and published, I would try to get in touch with J. K. Rowling to see if HPMOR could be published in book form, maybe as HJPEV and the Methods of Rationality, with all profits accruing to a UK charity. I’m not getting my hopes up, but I do have a rule telling me to try rather than automatically giving up and assuming something can’t be done. If any reader thinks they can put me in touch with J. K. Rowling, or for that matter Daniel Radcliffe, regarding this matter, I do hereby ask them to contact me at yudkowsky@gmail.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Hate Fibration posted:

Who gave you a Master's for that? gently caress trying to do original work, let's talk about how to COPY PEOPLE.

quote:

Masters Degree Thesis: Simulating Dennett: tools and constructions of a naturalist. The book aims to enable the reader to think in the philosophical style of Daniel Dennett.

But Dennett already wrote that book himself. It's a pretty good book, too.

• Locked thread