Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Neurion posted:

Holy poo poo, that looks amazing. I'm really starting to get the urge to make some Homeworld MOCs.

BRINN BATTLECRUISER by Pierre E Fieschi, on Flickr

This guy makes some pretty sweet Homeworld / Homeworld inspired stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The new Speed Champions line is some good stuff. I don't even like race cars especially but they are small, detailed and fun to build and the fact they are based on real cars is just a bonus. The Lotus is especially cool, I think (surfboard spoiler!). Probably going to have to get the whole line :gonk:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Potential BFF posted:

BRINN BATTLECRUISER by Pierre E Fieschi, on Flickr

This guy makes some pretty sweet Homeworld / Homeworld inspired stuff.

Argh I wish I had the collection/space/money/time to do stuff like this.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Phrosphor posted:

He even built two!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

You and me both.

I've been getting nostalgic about the Lego sets and themes I grew up with, I'd love to see some sort of limited release of old themes, especially Space, with current building techniques and parts.

Ice Inspector by thebrickbin, on Flickr

Threash
May 18, 2003

The Duke posted:

The new Speed Champions line is some good stuff. I don't even like race cars especially but they are small, detailed and fun to build and the fact they are based on real cars is just a bonus. The Lotus is especially cool, I think (surfboard spoiler!). Probably going to have to get the whole line :gonk:

So far I've picked up both sets which contain F1 cars and I agree that the sets are pretty good. I was happily surprised with how great the F1 cars look once built and while the Ferrari big rig isn't hard to build the end result is good looking. I'm not sure about the $15 car sets but I see the Porsche set that contains the start/finish and podium in my near future though.

I can't recall if it was mentioned in here recently but Target seems to have some sets with pretty decent clearance prices; Spaceship x3 was $30 off, the Police Dropship was $25 off along with some other various sets at 30%+ off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can anyone think of a clever technique to connect these 1x1's?

The gap is exactly one plate thick. A 4081b (1x1 clip light) works but I was hoping to keep the bumper square all the way across. I can't attach it to the undercarriage either because it's between studs.

I might just design a new bumper but this seems like it should be simple to solve, I'm just dumb.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
What's wrong about using a 1x1 plate?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because then the join is floating and I like my builds to not be explodey if I can avoid it.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Lamp Holder.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Threash posted:

So far I've picked up both sets which contain F1 cars and I agree that the sets are pretty good. I was happily surprised with how great the F1 cars look once built and while the Ferrari big rig isn't hard to build the end result is good looking. I'm not sure about the $15 car sets but I see the Porsche set that contains the start/finish and podium in my near future though.

I can't recall if it was mentioned in here recently but Target seems to have some sets with pretty decent clearance prices; Spaceship x3 was $30 off, the Police Dropship was $25 off along with some other various sets at 30%+ off.

I've only bought the Lotus and the LaFerrari so far and I love them. The semi and the F1 are definitely calling my name though!

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

xzzy posted:

Can anyone think of a clever technique to connect these 1x1's?

The gap is exactly one plate thick. A 4081b (1x1 clip light) works but I was hoping to keep the bumper square all the way across. I can't attach it to the undercarriage either because it's between studs.

I might just design a new bumper but this seems like it should be simple to solve, I'm just dumb.

1x1 plate with a technic 1/2 pin in the bottom and into 1 brick will give you a tiny gap, from the ring in the center of the pin

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Is there any speculative release date for the kwik-e-mart?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think it's a VIP release for the second half of April and general release in May.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The Duke posted:

The Lotus is especially cool, I think (surfboard spoiler!).

You mean McLaren P1?

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Here's how I spent my day off today. First MOC in a very long time (like 1 yr.+). I've had Armored Core on the brain. Have to redesign the feet and ankles, come up with an idea for hands, and sort out some weapons systems.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
If anyone has a dropship on sale near them and wants to ship to MD, pm me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hulkbuster set is pretty awesome. Hulk is a great figure, I love that his trousers have an Avengers logo on them, Think I'm going to modify the Hulk trap into a little vehicle for him at some point. I see what people mean about those super launchers grabbing stuff pretty tight though. They seem kind of fun though so I think I might just grab a spare set of generic minifigure legs and any minifigure wishing to try it out will have to wear the Super Launcher Trousers.

Dr. Benway posted:

Here's how I spent my day off today. First MOC in a very long time (like 1 yr.+). I've had Armored Core on the brain. Have to redesign the feet and ankles, come up with an idea for hands, and sort out some weapons systems.

That's a nice robot. I always find big MOC robots very impressive, mine always turn out a bit rubbish. I think that's partly why I like actual sets that are robots so much, I can actually make those. :v:

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

McDragon posted:

Who needs a Kwik-E-Mart?

Let's build a Brick-E-Mart...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

beato posted:

Let's build a Brick-E-Mart...

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

A neighbor just called and let me know that Goodwill had 3 big bags of Lego for $40 apiece, and they're holding a 40% off everything in the store sale. I went to go check it out, and came back with all three bags for $78.

Totaled up, it's about 15.2 pounds (6.9kg) including the thick bags. You may notice damaged pieces (that green baseplate's been cut, it looks like), and none of the torsos I saw had attached arms, so some of them may be cracked. The sharp-eyed may also notice clone bricks. It's hard to get an estimate right now, but there is a fair amount of megablok and others in there. I wouldn't've paid $40 for these bags.

:barf: Obviously just taken right from the dirty tub of whoever donated these and poured right into the bags. All three bags are going to get dumped directly in the bath tub with some hand soap and soaked for a few hours.

Very definitely some Star Wars Lego in here, circa 2008/09 (I thought that was Han Solo's torso, but it turns out it's a regular rebel torso from a 2008 battlepack).

After I get them cleaned, I'll sort out the clone brands and weigh what's left. Hopefully it's more than 50% lego, or I got screwed even after the sale.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Been sorting through my new and old Clone Troopers and Stormtroopers today. I've got quite a lot now. But it reminded me of my favourite little detail, they all have the same face. Different expressions sometimes, but always that face. I mean, yeah, they're clones, but I always like being able to take off the helmet and know I'm going to see that face. Except for one guy in my collection so today I decided to find out why. Apparently he's supposed to be more cartoon styled? I never saw any of that but on a proper inspection, it is still recognizable as That Face. Just maybe somebody clocked him in the head with a shovel or something. Anyway, that's my silly lego story of the day.

Also I like the looks of those F1 sets, but all those stickers. :gonk: I am so very bad at stickers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The clone wars based sets have more cartoon styled characters.

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

McDragon posted:

Also I like the looks of those F1 sets, but all those stickers. :gonk: I am so very bad at stickers.

Just picked up the LaFerrari, Spyder, and McLaren P1 as decoration for my office. I don't normally use stickers, but this time I spent like 60% of the build time meticulously positioning all those stickers. They look real good though, so it was worth it.
Except the Spyder comes with a checkered flag that is a sticker, and only for one side... Good thing I have plenty of the older printed flags.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
A target opened up near where I live so I finally had a chance to buy some Legos. So I picked up some series 13 (and got the three I wanted. :smug: ) I also picked up the Iron man vs the three ultron dudes and was impressed. The detail on the ultron guys is just fantastic.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Had all my Legos out today and asked my four year old what he wanted to build. Gonna need to work on his creativity, he responded with; "a shed"

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

He obviously ment underwater battle shed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

anotherblownsave posted:

Had all my Legos out today and asked my four year old what he wanted to build. Gonna need to work on his creativity, he responded with; "a shed"

You misheard, he said *the* shedd

https://www.sheddaquarium.org

It's honestly pretty ambitious for a 4 year old.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've got the falling water set and I stupidly displayed it in my kitchen for a about a year and over time it got slightly sticky to the touch due to grease the air. Which also means dust kind of sticks to it. I'm trying to figure out a good way to clean it. Any ideas? I'm thinking I might just need to take it apart and soak it in soapy water or something, but something easier would be ideal. It's kind of hard to wiper down considering it's a bajillion tiny pieces.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I just finished building ecto 1 and it's pretty cool, I guess.

Does anyone have any guides for improving the hell out of this thing?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Tried my hand at recreating the Bloodborne guy:

Threash
May 18, 2003
I bought one of the $15 Speed Champions car sets today to see how it looked when built as the pictures had me on the fence about them. It came out way better than expected and now I'm inclined to pick up all the $15 sets that are out. But my god the stickers on the Ferrari 458 take some effort. One series of stickers runs from to back and needs to line up with each other along with the pre-printed windshield.

Has anyone picked up The Avengers Tower or Quinjet? Are either worth it? I'd probably be more likely to get the Quinjet but only being to put a pilot in it seems unfortunate. The tower just seems to contain some nice minifigs.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

NESguerilla posted:

I've got the falling water set and I stupidly displayed it in my kitchen for a about a year and over time it got slightly sticky to the touch due to grease the air. Which also means dust kind of sticks to it. I'm trying to figure out a good way to clean it. Any ideas? I'm thinking I might just need to take it apart and soak it in soapy water or something, but something easier would be ideal. It's kind of hard to wiper down considering it's a bajillion tiny pieces.

Sounds like kitchen grease, anyone know how lego reacts to oven cleaner?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did you want to take it apart or not? Let them soak in kitchen detergent for a bit then throw them in a pillowcase into your washing machine.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Sounds like kitchen grease, anyone know how lego reacts to oven cleaner?

Pretty sure most oven cleaners contain sodium hydroxide which doesn't play well with ABS.

I'd go for dish soap and water and then try Googone if that doesn't work.

Edit: NaOH and ABS aren't going to explode or anything but it's overkill and could possibly discolor the bricks.

bij fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 8, 2015

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

According to one of my local toy stores that also stocks some larger sets they can't order any more Death Stars. I wonder if it's finally over for the old clunker. I'd probably regret not getting it but it's hard to justify spending that kind of money on Lego (and instead spending it just as quickly on smaller sets :v:)

Edit: Also a couple of days ago I picked up the Droid Tank and Star Destroyer microfighters on at a huge discount, as well as the Friends Downtown Bakery for all the nice wall pieces and quarter-domes in unusual colors. Together they have a pretty good set of parts for SNOT spaceships, and I just had to build something with a sleek studless Homeworld/Foss look using just those. Well, except for two technic pins, thanks jeff8472 for that trick!

Its super :spergin: but while building I couldn't help coming up with a narrative for its design. It's some kind of laser frigate powered by chemicals that will basically blow up the entire fleet if the tanks rupture, which explains the huge armored wings (who needs top armor we have turrets also tanks never have much top armor why would we need it in space :eng101:).

Electrophotonic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 8, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Threash posted:

Has anyone picked up The Avengers Tower or Quinjet? Are either worth it? I'd probably be more likely to get the Quinjet but only being to put a pilot in it seems unfortunate. The tower just seems to contain some nice minifigs.

I got the Quinjet, it's pretty cool. The trade off for the interior seating is the bike drop mechanism (which is in the most recent trailer for the movie), and there is still enough room in the rear compartment for a fig or two. You also get the drop mechanism where you can drop a minifig on a string. I feel like they could've done a better job with the engines.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

I got the Quinjet, it's pretty cool. The trade off for the interior seating is the bike drop mechanism (which is in the most recent trailer for the movie), and there is still enough room in the rear compartment for a fig or two. You also get the drop mechanism where you can drop a minifig on a string. I feel like they could've done a better job with the engines.

Same size as the previous Quinjet?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Did you want to take it apart or not? Let them soak in kitchen detergent for a bit then throw them in a pillowcase into your washing machine.

I think I'll try this. I'll probably just take it apart and rebuild it when I have some time. Not dying to because it takes forever to build and I'm not even a huge fan of the set but it needs to be done and it's just in storage now.

I'm really wishing the regular SW sets came with stands. Just grabbed the B-wing yesterday and they did a good job with it, but it's lame it has to just sit there in landing mode. Is there a good place to buy parts to build stands for ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Rage posted:

Same size as the previous Quinjet?

It's shorter by the length of the drone compartment on the old one, and also shorter height-wise in the back since it doesn't have the bulk of the engines.

I think it's a cool set and slicker at the expense of being more chunky and similar to an actual plane.

Also I dug out the shield pickup from the last wave to compare it to the new one from the set with Hawkeye and Thor and the new one is laughable, although it has to share parts count with the Hydra dune buggy, which I kind of like.