Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Klungar posted:

The Pratchett is dead, long live the GURM

It should have been you, GRRM. It should have been you.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

If you ever want to go on a real journey through time and space, read the archived versions of this thread. You can watch a decade of anger and hate build into what it is today.

This should be required reading for all fans of the books/show. We had some real beautiful moments. I still dream of a day when I ask him to autograph an Absolute Fucker Certificate. Or a copy of Game of Bones.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
what were some of the gradual moments of realization that not only was that series starting to suck but that it would never be finished?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
You see the thing is, people that are just discovering the books through the show don't know this. They think GRRM is a brilliant writer who created this wonderful book series and the next book is right around the corner. They're either still reading the books, or have just finished reading book five and looking forward to book 6. The show is still two thick books behind GRRM. GRRM still has a long lead on HBO. Hey, they spent two seasons on book three and that's not event the longest book. The longest book is book five. GRRM has plenty time. He has nothing to worry about.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It doesn't matter how long a book is, it matters how dense it is with cool stuff. Storm has tons of cool stuff, so they took a long time with it. Feast and Dance do not, so they're blazing through them.

Given all the hard information that we know, it no longer seems possible to me to think they won't be done with Dance this season.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 13, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

what were some of the gradual moments of realization that not only was that series starting to suck but that it would never be finished?

long wait for AFFC
ongoing missed deadlines
his blog posts and side projects. Wildcard book announcements.
Getting to the end of AFFC and reading "Meanwhile, back at the wall" and realizing that fat gently caress hadn't even finished the book
poo poo dick and his general fatness
book announcements that aren't ADWD
long wait for ADWD. I was surprised ADWD came out, I never thought it would.

and seeing the GRRM in his natural habitat, realizing he was a rockstar, and never needed to actually write again:

kcroy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 13, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I can't imagine the reaction you guys had when you first read "Meanwhile, back at the wall..." in '05.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:vomit:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lycus posted:

I can't imagine the reaction you guys had when you first read "Meanwhile, back at the wall..." in '05.

I first read it back in 2009. Years in GRRM time are longer than they are for the rest of us.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

OhYeah posted:

Is it just me or hasn't there been any interviews/articles lately where Gurm is talking about the pressure he is feeling regarding the fact that the TV show is catching up to the books? I just find it curious. It's almost like he has already given up...

Up until last year he thought he had a long and comfortable lead. Since HBO spent two seasons on book 3, they will probably spend two seasons on book 5 (which, by page count is the longest book in the series). I wonder if he honestly thought they would spend 3 full seasons on Feast/Dance.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They're not going to spend two seasons on Book 5, though.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Lycus posted:

They're not going to spend two seasons on Book 5, though.

And therein lies the tragedy. At some point he had this realization.
https://youtu.be/qx9EHld0Geg

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Klungar posted:

The Pratchett is dead, long live the GURM

Legit very sad about this, thought he had at least another year in him. Maybe the universe can spare us more nerd icons / good humans for the rest of the year and just take actual assholes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

I just don't know if he's really all that broken up about it. Money.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

kcroy posted:

long wait for AFFC
ongoing missed deadlines
his blog posts and side projects. Wildcard book announcements.
Getting to the end of AFFC and reading "Meanwhile, back at the wall" and realizing that fat gently caress hadn't even finished the book
poo poo dick and his general fatness
book announcements that aren't ADWD
long wait for ADWD. I was surprised ADWD came out, I never thought it would.

and seeing the GRRM in his natural habitat, realizing he was a rockstar, and never needed to actually write again:

:parrot: :snoop: :slick: BOOK AIN'T EVER COMIN' OUT :parrot: :snoop: :slick:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gianthogweed posted:

"Thats ok, I liked the Brianne chapters too" lold.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gianthogweed posted:

Up until last year he thought he had a long and comfortable lead.

He just lives in his own little world.
I just wish that his little world didn't bleed over into mine occasionally.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Aurain posted:

He just lives in his own little world.
I just wish that his little world didn't bleed over into mine occasionally.

His world can't be but so little, you've seen his pictures.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Lycus posted:

To be fair, we all knew the structure of the book and how it had been split. No one here went into Feast expecting a Tyrion chapter or anything (I'm sure people who didn't follow ASOIAF stuff on the internet did though).

It's the bolded bits below that really set the Absolute Fucker movement going, and that was gradual, as the years went on and the truth dawned on us.

GRfuckinRM posted:

Chapter Forty-six MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE WALL . .

Hey, wait a minute!" some of you may be saying about now. "Wait a minute, wait a minute! Where's Dany and the dragons? Where's Tyrion? We hardly saw Jon Snow. That can't be all of it. . . ."
Well, no. There's more to come. Another book as big as this one.

I did not forget to write about the other characters. Far from it. I wrote lots about them. Pages and pages and pages. Chapters and more chapters. I was still writing when it dawned on me that the book had become too big to publish in a single volume . . . and I wasn't close to finished yet. To tell all of the story that I wanted to tell, I was going to have to cut the book in two.

The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with "To Be Continued." The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a book that told all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. So that's the route I chose to take.

Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Stannis and Melisandre, Davos Seaworth, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Dance with Dragons, which will focus on events along the Wall and across the sea, just as the present book focused on King's Landing.

- George R. R. Martin June 2005

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

About a year after the "Meanwhile back at the wall ..." I occasionally checked the internet to see hints of progress on ADWD. After finishing that lovely book, I went full retard.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Thanks thread, for recommending the First Law series. Been reading that while I wait for the next GURM book to come out *time lapse of my body decomposing into a skeleton*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yeah we were wrong about dance never coming out, somehow he made it happen (by not writing the ending)

we're not wrong this time though, there really will not be a winds of winter

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
It's funny how the hate hasn't increased this time around, because nobody has any hope left.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Is the next book still not coming out?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You mean season right? It's coming out in April.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Lycus posted:

It doesn't matter how long a book is, it matters how dense it is with cool stuff. Storm has tons of cool stuff, so they took a long time with it. Feast and Dance do not, so they're blazing through them.

Given all the hard information that we know, it no longer seems possible to me to think they won't be done with Dance this season.

Past it even. There's not a full season of plot line for Sansa left unless as someone else suggested, she and the cake armies take the place of the manderlys.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Past it even. There's not a full season of plot line for Sansa left unless as someone else suggested, she and the cake armies take the place of the manderlys.

Yeah, at this point I'm figuring that having Sansa & Littlefinger absorb Wyman is the strategy for not going into Sansa's Winds plot in this season.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Is the next book still not coming out?

GRRM published plenty in 2014, quit complaining. You fans are so demanding, not your bitch, etc etc

quote:

ROGUES was published last year, which means that Gardner Dozois and I are both eligible for nomination as Best Editor, Short Form. Also, all the stories in ROGUES are eligible in the Short Story and Novelette categories. We had some terrific stories in that book. Take a look.

LOWBALL, the twenty-second volume in the Wild Cards series, was also published in 2014. That one I co-edited with Melinda Snodgrass. (Shared world stories NEVER get nominated for Hugos, but I mention this for the sake of completeness).

And then there's the odd duck: THE WORLD OF ICE & FIRE, the huge and concordance of the world of Westeros by Elio Garcia, Linda Antonnson, and yours truly. Exhaustive, gorgeously illustrated throughout, and years in the making.

[and] The 2015 calender [...] painted by DONATO GIANCOLA, and if he doesn't deserve a nomination for Best Professional Artist for his work therein, I don't know who does.

Junkenstein posted:

To be fair, we all knew the structure of the book and how it had been split. No one here went into Feast expecting a Tyrion chapter or anything (I'm sure people who didn't follow ASOIAF stuff on the internet did though).

It's the bolded bits below that really set the Absolute Fucker movement going, and that was gradual, as the years went on and the truth dawned on us.

You know, "knowing" it, and actually reading that poo poo at the end of the book were two totally different experiences for me. I assumed it was done for the best, and it would make sense, and its all good. Then I read it and I was like. no. this is not good. this is because he is a gently caress who couldn't finish the book.

oh something to add to the list of hate building moments : those goddamn last years water-logged calendars he was always trying to sell.

edit: trying to find some of his old posts about those, and came across..

wildcards! http://grrm.livejournal.com/42379.html

His tag page!

game of thrones - 303 uses ( this is the HBO tag )
a game of thrones - 51 uses ( this is the book tag )
a dance with dragons - 56 uses
the winds of winter - 8 uses
anthologies - 61 uses
jean cocteau - 97 uses

and of course

wild cards - 79 uses

kcroy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 13, 2015

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Was talking to a guy in my class who said he won't watch the show because he doesn't want it to spoil the books.

I laughed and laughed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Pretty sure this season is all post-ADWD/AFFC as far as Sansa's concerned.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

rypakal posted:

It's funny how the hate hasn't increased this time around, because nobody has any hope left.

Between Gurm's "never write when you can "edit" " author philosophy and the tv show not being all that, it seems like apathy rules. Who can be assed to even troll NAB nowadays? Ty's even has time to coauthor a neverending scifi story

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

No more of a curveball than the idea that Sansa just went to winterfell with the Knights of the Vale while Stannis is still alive and the Boltons are setup there.

I didn't realize HBO hired Aatrek to write an episode.

These Aatrek jokes are really getting too old man.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

kcroy posted:

If you ever want to go on a real journey through time and space, read the archived versions of this thread. You can watch a decade of anger and hate build into what it is today.

I like when the thread subtitle was "Finish the book George" for I think upwards of a full year.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure this season is all post-ADWD/AFFC as far as Sansa's concerned.

There's the trip down the hill and Harry the heir.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

There's the trip down the hill and Harry the heir.

Not remotely important; probably doesn't exist in the show. When it comes to stuff that's actually important enough to be in the show, Show-Sansa has passed Book-Sansa.

Though now it looks like it's less post-Feast/Dance stuff and more incorporating her into the Winterfell storyline, similar to them incorporating Jaime into the Dorne storyline.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 14, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyPowerVan posted:

These Aatrek jokes are really getting too old man.

oh man, just set that up did ya

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Must... resist...

I still find it a special kind of aggravating that Gorge will make many page-long blog posts about his tiny theater that no one outside of the surrounding states will even bother to visit (even if the events are cool), instead of you know, pointing a link to the actual theatre's events page. Like, how many fans do you think read your blog, like readings/signing/old movies, and live in or around NM, you chuckle gently caress?

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

kcroy posted:

[and] The 2015 calender [...] painted by DONATO GIANCOLA, and if he doesn't deserve a nomination for Best Professional Artist for his work therein, I don't know who does

I'd be surprised if this got nominated for anything other than best in class high school art.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

At least the black dragon sees the hilarity in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is that the calendar with a month picture of Tyrion's pubes going up to his chin?