Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I know someone else will do better but off of the top of my head

Rebuild 1.1 starts with the red shore shot
The moon has a giant blood streak, presumably from big white Rei sprayin her poo poo on it
the chalk outline of fallen eva's around tokyo
Just about EVERYTHING involving Kaworu, especially the fact that there's a multiple tombs on the moon for him, some of which are already open and his line "This time I'll make you happy". A lot of his dialogue and the piano scenes talk a lot about making things better through practice and repetition

I've seen a big collage picture thing that had a lot of references noted as well.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah, that would be this, although it isn't updated for Rebuild 3:

http://i.imgur.com/m6QSNIS.jpg

Personally I'm a more inclined to take it metaphorically -- a way of saying "this is an emotional and thematic continuation of the story, not just a remake" -- but until Rebuild 4 comes out, who knows.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 14, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah, I think it'd be a very very bad bet to guess that any of that comes out explicitly. Which is probably for the best.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I don't think Avocados was prepared for how the series ends. I told him before he finished that I was worried he'd read spoilers before he finished watching, and he said something along the lines of: "Well I know it ends with something good, because everyone's standing around clapping and saying 'Congratulations'."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's adorable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I fought a bunch of angels and then everyone stood up and clapped

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got an A for effort!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Avocados posted:

Even though im not sure what happened at all with the last two episodes, it actually made a really deep impact on some things I've experienced. I think i'm going to enjoy my spring break and then go back to this when school is in session.

Quoting this for the new page because it is beautiful.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Every time a new EVA viewer posts their episode 25+26 reaction, an angel gets its wingsdestroys humanity

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Eh, I guess it depends on what kind of person you're recommending them to. I view Rebuild as a response to the public's response to the original series
I've seen people say this but is there any actual evidence of it at all, like an interview or something? It mostly seems to be based on really flimsy reasoning along the lines of "I don't like Rebuild, but it's deliberately bad because"

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cronodoculous posted:

"Well I know it ends with something good, because everyone's standing around clapping and saying 'Congratulations'."

This is beautiful

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Avocados posted:

Even though im not sure what happened at all with the last two episodes, it actually made a really deep impact on some things I've experienced. I think i'm going to enjoy my spring break and then go back to this when school is in session.

No. You watch End of Eva right now.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've seen people say this but is there any actual evidence of it at all, like an interview or something? It mostly seems to be based on really flimsy reasoning along the lines of "I don't like Rebuild, but it's deliberately bad because"

I mean it's pretty obvious just watching them. People were always saying things like "Shinji should just get in the damned robot!" and then in Rebuild he does and it ends up blowing up the world. If that's not a response to people's reactions to the original then I don't know what is.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't even tell people to gently caress with the originals anymore, straight to remake and go backwards if you thought part 1 and 2 were really cool.

You're a loving moron

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think Rebuild is bad, deliberately or otherwise. I just view it less as a typical anime series, and more like metafiction like Godard's Breathless or something. The original NGE is the same way.

Epi Lepi posted:

I mean it's pretty obvious just watching them. People were always saying things like "Shinji should just get in the damned robot!" and then in Rebuild he does and it ends up blowing up the world. If that's not a response to people's reactions to the original then I don't know what is.

I agree with this, as it's Rebuild at probably its most blatant about this.

I view the "Curse of Eva" as another example. It is the Curse of Eva, of being an anime character that fanboys/fangirls refuse to let go of and "grow up"- 15/20/whatever years later, and Asuka and co. are still teenagers, but not because of LCL or whatever. Because of anime fans.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 14, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You're a loving moron

Totally agree. Anyone who skips the originals is a shameful anime lover.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

I really like Rebuild specifically because it's a reaction to the reaction to the tv show and EoE.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

I think those differences are too interesting to be explained by "its a response to the fans".

I really like the part in 2 where shinji doesn't skip a beat telling gendo that he's gonna pilot the drat eva and gendos response is priceless. The way he reacts is almost like he was expecting Shinji to do what he did in the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What Shinji did in the series though was...pilot the drat robot also. It just ended differently than in 2.22 because EVA-01 didn't go Berserk there.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm talkin about one tiny little moment in the scene. I find the difference significant.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is making me want to rewatch Eva again. For like the fourth or fifth time.

...Meh. I'll just watch less depressing shows on my backburner, like Ideon or Zambot 3.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lol 4 or 5

Just kidding that's probably how many im at. Though I've definitely watched episode 19 like a dozen times over the years.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 14, 2015

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Cronodoculous posted:

I don't think Avocados was prepared for how the series ends. I told him before he finished that I was worried he'd read spoilers before he finished watching, and he said something along the lines of: "Well I know it ends with something good, because everyone's standing around clapping and saying 'Congratulations'."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

Sometimes youtube comments are awesome. :)

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, that would be this, although it isn't updated for Rebuild 3:

http://i.imgur.com/m6QSNIS.jpg

Personally I'm a more inclined to take it metaphorically -- a way of saying "this is an emotional and thematic continuation of the story, not just a remake" -- but until Rebuild 4 comes out, who knows.

I think it could go either way, but I'd be disappointed if they ended up just being callbacks. It's one thing to reference prior work with visual metaphor, but the changes are pretty explicitly part of the text rather than being hints. It's not like there's a streak on a window or something that makes the moon look like its striped with blood through a certain POV, there's a literal stripe of red on the moon. I sure hope that ends up going somewhere instead of just being a reference.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think those differences are too interesting to be explained by "its a response to the fans".

NGE itself is partly a response to the fans, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think people tend to overestimate the extent to which Evangelion is about "the fans" compared to simply being about Evangelion. Like, there's no question that the Curse of Eva is about stasis and the inability to grow, but saying "well it's because the fans won't let go and grow up lol nerds am I right?" is just so pat.

Think about what the Evas represent in general -- they're a crucible, they're the pilots' missing parents, they're a massive military-industrial project. If they're the cause of the Curse of Eva, that seems far less like a statement about children "refusing" to grow up, and more like one about an environment in which they cannot grow up. It's about the difficulty of defining yourself when your role models are distant, abusive, workaholics, or caught up in empty mysticism for the sake of their own egos.

At the same time, it's not a simple clear-cut indictment of the older generation either. The Evangelions are suffocating and stunting, but they're also a defense against very real dangers; it makes the story a dilemma, not just a fable about bad parenting. It's not even clear that the message is "stop piloting, stop relying on the Evas;" the climax of Rebuild 3 is still a giant robot fight, but importantly, it's one where nobody is managing the Children the way they were against the Angels, and where at least two of them have an epiphany about self-determination. The solution might be as simple as acting/living as an adult (i.e. piloting) but doing it on their own terms instead of as an extension of someone else's will.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

On a technical level I guess that is indeed a reaction, but using an alternate timeline/timeloop as a way to show something that fans wanted to see seems like a pretty natural thing to do. I'm referring more to the claim that the whole thing is a metaphor entirely about the fans (and how they're bad), but looking back I think I just misread the post I was quoting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

they're a crucible, they're the pilots' missing parents

This whole post is good and your ideas about the Curse of Eva are really interesting, but this particular line is something I'm unsure about. Like this is pretty clearly the case in the original series, but in Rebuild we can only safely say this about EVA-01. Can we really say that about any of the others? What about something like EVA-13, which uses two pilots? Or EVA-02, which has two different pilots? Or EVA-03, which Asuka herself pilots in this continuity? Hell even EVA-01 herself was converted into powering the WUNDER, so the EVA mechanics appear to be different in Rebuild. It's been a while since I've watched these movies though, so I could be remembering something incorrectly here.

And again, it might be something the last movie touches on and makes more clear, but who knows at this point.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 14, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it's especially difficult to say because the rebuild story is not complete yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's worth noting that it's fairly difficult to say Yui is in Eva-01. There are implications that in Rebuild she may not be, which is why SHINJI is in control when Eva-01 goes berserk, not the Evangelion, and why the other Berserker modes are also pilot-controlled. Even the Dummy system forces itself upon Shinji in this version rather than merely locking him out. Gendo thinks she is (and there are some implications still) but at very least it is presented in a different way.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth noting that it's fairly difficult to say Yui is in Eva-01. There are implications that in Rebuild she may not be, which is why SHINJI is in control when Eva-01 goes berserk, not the Evangelion, and why the other Berserker modes are also pilot-controlled. Even the Dummy system forces itself upon Shinji in this version rather than merely locking him out. Gendo thinks she is (and there are some implications still) but at very least it is presented in a different way.

I got this impression also, seeing as she was last seen floating through space in EoE, that and the whole sub theme of Shinji breaking his over dependency issues. it fits with the whole cycle theory

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think she's in it up till Near Third Impact and then gone by the time Rebuild 3 starts. The flashback in the shogi scene pretty much confirms she inhabited it at some point, and IIRC Rebuild still has the scene where Unit-01's arm moves to protect Shinji.

One tentative way to look at it is that Rebuild Shinji piloted Unit-01 up to the point where he internalized Yui's outlook -- the obsessive desire to save one person, the importance of memory -- and then something happened. Either he fulfilled or violated his purpose in piloting Unit-01 (or both in different ways), and then he goes on to Rebuild 3 where he pilots a different Eva and begins acting out his father's drama instead. Yui's presence in the show goes from a protective monster to a pregnant corpse, whatever you make of that.

I'm curious to see if Shinji ever goes back to Unit-01. It being the core of the Wunder is kind of interesting because it's like there's a place for Shinji, the potential adult, that already exists -- he just has to find his way back to it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think she's in it up till Near Third Impact and then gone by the time Rebuild 3 starts. The flashback in the shogi scene pretty much confirms she inhabited it at some point, and IIRC Rebuild still has the scene where Unit-01's arm moves to protect Shinji.

It doesn't. It's one of the very few differences between the series and 1.11

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Well poo poo, sounds like it's rewatch time again.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pretty sure they even have a shot focusing on the lights shaking but very pointedly not falling on Shinji like they did in the original. Seems like a very deliberate choice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This is kind of a random question, but y'all know the phantom Rei that appears briefly to Shinji in Episode 1? I seem to recall some version of the series, whether it was the English dub of the original series, the original Japanese, or the English or original version of 1.11 where Shinji recognizes Rei II as looking exactly like that phantom Rei. Does anybody know when exactly that moment was, or was it totally something I imagined?

I'm starting to think it might just be one of those random things the English dub added to the original series (Like how they randomly have Shinji swear in the early episodes occasionally, for example), because I didn't recognize the scene the last time I watched in Japanese.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 15, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I don't know where this is from.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Now that I'm really focusing on it, EVA-02 has a weird looking face.

EDIT: Btw Google-fu tells me it is from something called "Puzzle & Dragons".

EDIT 2: Apparently it is some kind of Pokemon clone thing, but with licensed properties. Like they have Eva characters, and Goku and Batman and stuff.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 15, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
^^^^^ it does have four eyes

I always thought the Rei at the start looked exactly like Rei always does throughout the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

a kitten posted:

I don't know where this is from.

Would you like to know more?