Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
We finally got rid of our old 42 inch Panasonic Viera and it's time to upgrade. I'd like to keep it under $600 and probably around 50 inches is the biggest we would need/want.

We loved the colors and sound on the Panasonic but I really don't want to deal with a plasma anymore. However the insignia LED TV in our temporary housing is pretty much trash in both aspects. Anyone make the move from plasma to LED and find something reasonable that is of similar quality in that price range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Got the Sony 55 inch kdlw950b per the low input lag and passive 3d. Contrast appears fantastic despite the bad reviews on rting. Impulse mode is awesome.

Passive 3d is great.

Huge step up from my 40 inch Samsung with terrible input and contrast. Also it was 8 years old.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

sellouts posted:

It seems very strange to be doing design reviews on a >48" television, especially when your budget is $900. That being said you're in the range at 48" but could go 55" if you're worried about the back half of that. I'm not sure I'd want to sit 4' from a 55" tv though.

The Sony KDL55W800B is 929 on Amazon via a 3rd party seller and I bet you could call somewhere else to get a better price. It's a superior TV.

How much are you going to spend on calibrating it or are you just hoping for out of the box color to be good?

It's not for formal reviews but will be used for adhoc discussions and small team meetings as opposed to using a projector. Most of the time it will be displaying analytics dashboards. I'll be hardware calibrating it with an i1 Display Pro (it'll have a dedicated cpu backpack). I'll look around for a deal on a KDL55W800B if the 48" we get in seems too small, thanks.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 9, 2015

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Quite A Tool posted:

We finally got rid of our old 42 inch Panasonic Viera and it's time to upgrade. I'd like to keep it under $600 and probably around 50 inches is the biggest we would need/want.

We loved the colors and sound on the Panasonic but I really don't want to deal with a plasma anymore. However the insignia LED TV in our temporary housing is pretty much trash in both aspects. Anyone make the move from plasma to LED and find something reasonable that is of similar quality in that price range?

You can't judge LED from Insignia (bottom rung). If you're trying to go inexpensive look at the Vizio E series.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

In case you guys are plebeians like me and 1. Use a soundbar and 2. Don't have it mounted or its on your wall, TV soundbar mounts are a thing. Can pretty much attach the soundbar above or below your TV. I got mine above because apparently that's best i guess. Pretty cool

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

You can't judge LED from Insignia (bottom rung). If you're trying to go inexpensive look at the Vizio E series.

Colour and contrast wise you are getting nowhere near a panasonic plasma with any LED that costs $600 though (unless it was a REALLY old plasma).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

Colour and contrast wise you are getting nowhere near a panasonic plasma with any LED that costs $600 though (unless it was a REALLY old plasma).

You're not going anywhere near a panasonic plasma in LED for anything less than $5k, at which point you might as well just get one of the OLED TVs. Vizio E series is absolutely the best picture for price.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm debating getting a Vizio P-series at around 60-65inches. Should I consider an M or E in that size instead? I mostly chose the P to get 4K because I'd like to not have to buy another t.v. for at least 5 years.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm debating getting a Vizio P-series at around 60-65inches. Should I consider an M or E in that size instead? I mostly chose the P to get 4K because I'd like to not have to buy another t.v. for at least 5 years.

1080p is going to be fine for the next 5 years. We've already had this discussion, but there's no 4K content right now, and there isn't expected to be for a while unless things really change really quickly.

Plus, I still stand by the idea that unless you are extremely close to a very big TV, you're not going to notice the difference between 1080p and 4K. I still think the people who say they can see it are either 20/10 and specifically looking for it on a 65"+ TV, or they are having a placebo effect. The human eye can only distinguish so much and the only people I've found to say that there is a significant difference is Joe Schmoes on web forums who I especially don't believe since there isn't any 4K content.

The picture on the E and M series in terms of contrast and color is superior for the P series, and you ABOSLUTELY will notice those two differences more than you would 4K.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Umm,

You will notice the difference between UHD and HD. Yes, there isn't a lot of UHD content but it's slowly trickling out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Netflix and Amazon are streaming 4K right now, and UHD Blu-Ray will begin selling by 2016. So things may change really quickly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rastor posted:

Netflix and Amazon are streaming 4K right now, and UHD Blu-Ray will begin selling by 2016. So things may change really quickly.

This is part of my concern and I also enjoy purchasing Criterion Blu-Rays which have begun putting movies at 4k on the discs. On the Waterfront for example, which I own.

Fremry posted:

The picture on the E and M series in terms of contrast and color is superior for the P series, and you ABOSLUTELY will notice those two differences more than you would 4K.

So you're saying this Vizio 65 M-Series will give me better contrast and color than this P-Series?
Hmmm gives me something mull over then...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The only Vizio P-Series drawback is 4:4:2 chroma at 4k. The panel and colors aren't as good as other 4k sets but it's much more affordable.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks Tab, I still can't decide if I should pull the trigger because I've been told March is a good month to catch t.v.'s on sale and I'm a penny pincher.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rastor posted:

We already had this discussion, they really won't and a lot of the content out there is going to have a significant portion upscaled.

Digital capture in 2.5k is still very common. That poo poo is never going to be 4k no matter what. Even when they capture higher or capture on film, workflows are sill predominantly 2k. 4k workflows are still too costly for the most part.

Yes, there will be 4k content. But the trickle isn't going to turn into a torrent anytime soon. Maybe in 3-4 years the majority of movies in the theaters will be 4k end to end and new 4k content will be plentiful, but Hollywood hasn't caught up to the electronics companies yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Tab8715 posted:

The only Vizio P-Series drawback is 4:4:2 chroma at 4k. The panel and colors aren't as good as other 4k sets but it's much more affordable.

Everyone with hdcp HDMI 2.0 ports right now has the same limitation. They are also using sharp panels for the 60 and 70 and probably 50 as well. The 55 is IPS so its probably lg.

Contrast ratio on the via p series is the same ~4-5k as every other va panel but it has more dimming zones than the m or e series. The p series can also pull off sub 20ms game response time.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I bought a 4k computer monitor this year and a second 1080p TV last year, just to upgrade from 46 to 65 inches. 4k is definitely a noticeable improvement but Canaduh will have 4k broadcast tv by 2020 at earliest at this rate. We're actually going backwards on bandwidth stuff right now.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Tab8715 posted:

This is just simply unnecessary for anyone not using this TV as a monitor. All programming you watch is not in 4:4:4 chroma because it is one of the first things compressed in video streams.

The panel quality on the P series is absolutely significantly superior to the M series. I own both.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

We already had this discussion, they really won't and a lot of the content out there is going to have a significant portion upscaled.

Digital capture in 2.5k is still very common. That poo poo is never going to be 4k no matter what. Even when they capture higher or capture on film, workflows are sill predominantly 2k. 4k workflows are still too costly for the most part.

Yes, there will be 4k content. But the trickle isn't going to turn into a torrent anytime soon. Maybe in 3-4 years the majority of movies in the theaters will be 4k end to end and new 4k content will be plentiful, but Hollywood hasn't caught up to the electronics companies yet.

While it's true there is an unfortunate blind spot of recent films with 2K VFX workflow, 4K is still nice for scanned 65mm films etc. and also for forward-thinking productions such as those at Netflix.

It all depends how long you plan to keep your set. 3 years? Knock yourself out with 1080p. 5-10 years? It's time to start seriously considering UHD. IMO.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

While it's true there is an unfortunate blind spot of recent films with 2K VFX workflow, 4K is still nice for scanned 65mm films etc. and also for forward-thinking productions such as those at Netflix.

Not just VFX, entire workflows from color correction to editing. It's not a matter of a blind spot or a matter of being forward thinking. It's the harsh economic realities of film making. 5 VFX houses go bankrupt every time Michael Bay has a wet dream about the next transformers movie. They can't afford to render in 4k because there's a house that will do it in 2k and underbid the them on time and money. Netflix is an outlier because they aren't under the same time constraints and their whole economic model for shows is different. Not only that, they have a vested interest in pushing things like 4k because right now that gives them a competitive advantage over other media sources. That's the same reason why Sony Pictures is more likely to master a movie in 4k, they sell 4k theater equipment.

I won't lie and say that Blade Runner in 4k on a huge screen doesn't get me hot and bothered. However, back catalog can only carry you so far. But even content isn't the only reason why you might think about waiting because...

quote:

It all depends how long you plan to keep your set. 3 years? Knock yourself out with 1080p. 5-10 years? It's time to start seriously considering UHD. IMO.

...I would argue that there's no TV worth keeping for more than 4-5 years on the market today. Not if you care about home theater quality anyways. OLED is in a free fall pricewise and cheap LEDs and computing power are leading a revival and refinement of FALD tv designs. Then there's a standards issue. No TV fully meets REC2020 yet and there's a brewing format war over HDR that's going to have fallout from TVs to 4k blu-ray players and media.

I'm not saying to avoid 4k TVs all together. It's just one variable to consider and I wouldn't use it as a deciding factor right now when choosing models. I certainly wouldn't seek out a replacement of a top tier 1080p TV with a 4k set at this point. Chances are, you're going to want to replace that 4k TV in 3 years anyways because LG can now give you infinite blacks for an affordable price which will make that new Dolby Vision 4k streaming release from Warner Bros of Blade Runner really pop.

Masakado
Aug 6, 2008
Not sure if this is a better place to post this or if I should be going in the direction of SH/SC but does anyone know of smart TVs that have the capability to connect to WPA2-Enterprise networks, preferably TLS/TTLS? For various reasons we'll probably have to stick a few on the company wi-fi network and we'll need something that's capable of connecting to it. Just standard web searching hasn't turned up much, which I guess isn't surprising since they're consumer products. Does such a thing exist?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Not just VFX, entire workflows from color correction to editing. It's not a matter of a blind spot or a matter of being forward thinking. It's the harsh economic realities of film making. 5 VFX houses go bankrupt every time Michael Bay has a wet dream about the next transformers movie. They can't afford to render in 4k because there's a house that will do it in 2k and underbid the them on time and money. Netflix is an outlier because they aren't under the same time constraints and their whole economic model for shows is different. Not only that, they have a vested interest in pushing things like 4k because right now that gives them a competitive advantage over other media sources. That's the same reason why Sony Pictures is more likely to master a movie in 4k, they sell 4k theater equipment.

I won't lie and say that Blade Runner in 4k on a huge screen doesn't get me hot and bothered. However, back catalog can only carry you so far. But even content isn't the only reason why you might think about waiting because...

...I would argue that there's no TV worth keeping for more than 4-5 years on the market today. Not if you care about home theater quality anyways. OLED is in a free fall pricewise and cheap LEDs and computing power are leading a revival and refinement of FALD tv designs. Then there's a standards issue. No TV fully meets REC2020 yet and there's a brewing format war over HDR that's going to have fallout from TVs to 4k blu-ray players and media.

I'm not saying to avoid 4k TVs all together. It's just one variable to consider and I wouldn't use it as a deciding factor right now when choosing models. I certainly wouldn't seek out a replacement of a top tier 1080p TV with a 4k set at this point. Chances are, you're going to want to replace that 4k TV in 3 years anyways because LG can now give you infinite blacks for an affordable price which will make that new Dolby Vision 4k streaming release from Warner Bros of Blade Runner really pop.

Oled isn't really in free fall at all especially since only one company is in the market.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Oled isn't really in free fall at all especially since only one company is in the market.

Buy a loving TV that looks good and is cheap. You're an idiot for doing anything more. It used to be a decision when plasma existed. It's not anymore. Buy the best looking LED for the price, or buy a really expensive OLED.

And despite what the earlier guy said, either look at the TVs yourself or take professional reviewers opinions (in which case E series and M series Vizio beat the P series in contrast and color). Do not take Joe Guy #34 from Something Awful. I've been her for 11 years, and the one thing I've learned is that SA gets into their hive mind review feedback loop just like reddit does now, gamefaqs did in the past, and basically every Internet community does. I've been burned so many times in the 11 years of being on SA that I basically use SA recommendations as an indicator to wait 6 months and then check other reviewers.

This goes for games, TVs, TV programming, movies and firearms. Those are the big ones I've gotten burned on. Seek that poo poo out yourself or go rely on actual real people who are paid to make these opinions. The recommendations I've been burned on the most on SA have been people making a bad decision and then justifying that bad decision by convincing others to do the same. You should be immediately skeptical of anyone suggesting 4K when there is literally no native 4K content, while people swear it's better.

Every reviewer has rated the E and M series better than the P series because of contrast and color accuracy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

There's also only like 3 companies making LCD panels in general. I fully expect LG to be licensing their panels to the likes of Sony in a few years as yields increase and likely licensing manufacturing technology to other panel makers as well.

55" OLED TVs went from $15,000 in 2013, to $3500 in 2014 and you can buy a 55EC9300 for under $3k today. The MRSP for high end 1080p LCD TVs in the 55" range was that price in 2013. Hell, the MSRP for the Panasonic 55VT60 was only $300 shy at $2699.

You can buy a 3d 4k OLED tv for under $5500 right now, nearly half the price of the 1080p counterpart 2 years ago.

Sure, in the world of $600 Vizios they are still expensive rear end TVs. But they are so drat close to the holy grail in display technology.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Fremry posted:

Buy a loving TV that looks good and is cheap. You're an idiot for doing anything more. It used to be a decision when plasma existed. It's not anymore. Buy the best looking LED for the price, or buy a really expensive OLED.

And despite what the earlier guy said, either look at the TVs yourself or take professional reviewers opinions (in which case E series and M series Vizio beat the P series in contrast and color). Do not take Joe Guy #34 from Something Awful. I've been her for 11 years, and the one thing I've learned is that SA gets into their hive mind review feedback loop just like reddit does now, gamefaqs did in the past, and basically every Internet community does. I've been burned so many times in the 11 years of being on SA that I basically use SA recommendations as an indicator to wait 6 months and then check other reviewers.

This goes for games, TVs, TV programming, movies and firearms. Those are the big ones I've gotten burned on. Seek that poo poo out yourself or go rely on actual real people who are paid to make these opinions. The recommendations I've been burned on the most on SA have been people making a bad decision and then justifying that bad decision by convincing others to do the same. You should be immediately skeptical of anyone suggesting 4K when there is literally no native 4K content, while people swear it's better.

Every reviewer has rated the E and M series better than the P series because of contrast and color accuracy.

Ive owned and calibrated a 60" m and p series. Both use sharp VA panels and native contrast is very similar as is color. Both calibrate well except for red which is hosed because sharp. ( the elites had the same problem). The p series gets the edge due to more dimming zones.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Yeah, I don't get how it's an echo chamber effect going on here. 4K has obvious drawbacks to it but the vast majority of the current gen panels are not inferior to the 1080p panels in terms of image quality. The only time I have seen it recommended to step back down to the 1080p in terms of PQ would be going to the h7100 from the hu8550, and even then the 8550 is a well regarded set.

The vizio isn't the only game in town and based on what the person is in we're gonna recommend different sets. He specifically asked about vizio, and the double local dimming zones and the higher resolution panel are noticable; whether he feels it's worth the money is up to him but the panels are NOT worse than the M series. Considering we finally have a digital distribution platform that is capable of handling (and already delivers) 4k content it is better to know that it will come in as it becomes available.

If he doesn't need a tv now, it would probably be a good idea to wait for a bit longer. The M series is going to be 4k this year when it's updated with the same dimming zones it has today, and in the next year or two 4k is basically going to be a standard resolution for larger sets.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
http://www.homedepot.com/p/VIZIO-M-...2I-B2/205593694

Who wants a $599 55" M-series Vizio?

.... from Home Depot? :psyduck:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's an echo chamber for poo poo like video games, cars and apple products. But if you're taking cues from one site (esp. Something Awful) vs a blend consisting of the plethora of other sites, you deserve to get burned.

A $2000 55" LC 1080p OLED is a definite free-fall in price. And a great TV.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My parents got a new TV now that my sister is out of the house, and I got their old one, a Panasonic TC-P50S30 50" Plasma, and it's loving gorgeous. I'm coming up from a lovely LG 37" I got five or six years ago as my first major purchase, and the difference is night and day. Movies look particularly gorgeous, games are so much more clear, and the colors are so rich. I'm planning on getting a Philips Hue system in the very near future (as soon as I get an Apple Store gift card for trading in my now outdated computer), and I'm gonna strap a light strip to the back of it to complete the TV watching experience.

Plasma owns.

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!
My Samsung 50" plasma that I bought in January of 2011 was slightly damaged during a move out of state (dead pixel columns and some serious display brightness issues). I've been looking at 4k displays, and came across the Vizio P702UI-B3 70" 4k UHD at Nebraska Furniture Mart on sale for $1800 (currently about $2500 on Amazon). Anyone have experience with this TV? I've read that it had some configuration issues that have been corrected by a firmware update, but a 4k display with HDMI 2.0 and localized backlight dimming seems like a hell of a steal for $1800. Many of the other comparably sized TVs are about that price or more. I'm ready to jump on it if I can get some confirmation about its quality.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They are good tv's. Especially if you play games.

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!

Don Lapre posted:

They are good tv's. Especially if you play games.

I don't really play games on my TV, but at that price it's hard to resist.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

48" Samsung UN48H6350 1080p 120Hz Smart LED HDTV - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/148055

$540

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

My significant other has a Panasonic Viera plasma with a bad y-sus board. She took it to a repair shop but they've had it for a couple of months, saying the replacement part is still on back order. I found the exact same model of tv as hers with a broken screen for $10 and offered to swap the board in for her but the guy at the repair shop is telling her that if anyone even ever plugged the broken screen tv in after it was damaged, that the board's on it are all bad too and bad things will happen.

I can see it's a possibility but he's making it sound like it's for sure, black and white. I'm not buying it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

60" Samsung UN60H6350 1080p 120Hz Smart LED HDTV - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/148125

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

have been wanting to upgrade the 4 or 5 year old 40-inch Samsung I have when I move, thinking about the Sony KDL-W800B for the decent refresh rate, size, and pricing. Any opinions on that model? I don't give a poo poo about the 3D on this unit so was wondering if there's a better deal for a similar model.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Is 1080p -> 4k upscaling universally bad right now? I was saw a Sony demo station at best buy and the upscaled image looked objectively worse than the 1080p source on the adjacent TV.

I'll be looking to buy a 65 inch TV in August and I'm not really liking this industry wide push to 4k. Just give me a 65 inch 1080p OLED dang it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

No?

1080p content looks as expected on my Vizio P-Series 4k.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

WeaselWeaz posted:

Yeah I kinda figured as much, but still goddamn that's a bad TV.

I'll check out the E series for sure. I mostly just want this next one to be good enough to last us another 5 years like the Panasonic did. And honestly if we hadn't moved we would have kept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

No?

1080p content looks as expected on my Vizio P-Series 4k.

Depends on the TV, I remember 1080p content demos on the first 4k tv's looked grainy as hell.