Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jivjov posted:

Gaim was my first Rider...and maybe that's ruined other Riders for me...
I feel like having Gaim be your first rider is like having Utena or PMMM be your first anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Gaim was my first Rider...and maybe that's ruined other Riders for me...

Same. Kind of. I watched Kiva just before, but I assumed all it's faults were just it being Kiva, instead of only most of them.

I'm more of a Sentai person...but Gaim is so good...

I do like other riders but they're all pre-W.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
My first series were Gaim, Akibaranger, and Kyoryuger.

As much as I liked it when it aired, I never actually finished Gaim because I got tired of the grimdark setting and "YOU CANT ALTER DESTINY" poo poo. Sagara was a huge fucker.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fooley posted:

My first series were Gaim, Akibaranger, and Kyoryuger.

As much as I liked it when it aired, I never actually finished Gaim because I got tired of the grimdark setting and "YOU CANT ALTER DESTINY" poo poo. Sagara was a huge fucker.

Gaim was not grim dark.

Gaim was never ever grim dark.

Not even once. We are not doing this, we are not calling Gaim anything than some times serious that pretended it wanted to tell a more involved story and then decided to just give up.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Poison Mushroom posted:

I feel like having Gaim be your first rider is like having Utena or PMMM be your first anime.

Or you know

good anime

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Now Ryuki, Ryuki was pretty dark, and it's novelization was grimdark(also: terrible).

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Burkion posted:

Gaim was not grim dark.

Gaim was never ever grim dark.

Not even once. We are not doing this, we are not calling Gaim anything than some times serious that pretended it wanted to tell a more involved story and then decided to just give up.

Grimdark was the wrong word, but I agree it pretty much fell apart towards the end.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Faiz as a show is awful, although Paradise Lost is still one of my favorite Rider Movies

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

(also: terrible).

Well then it fit in with just fine with the rest of Ryuki. Speaking of which, Ryuki is a bad choice for a first rider show. It might not be the worst for any one person but no matter what it is that you want some other show has done it better.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I think what a persons background interest may influence what is recommendable. If someone is unsure about the whole premise of karate bugmen but like character dramas or criminal procedurals, I would probably recommend Kuuga because truthfully the Heisei Tokasatsu is rather muted in the first series. If they are more on board but have similar tastes as mentioned before, then Agito is probably a better jumping off point. If they want to fully dive in modern Tokusatsu, I would recommend W. If they have a more anime background, then the Highschool setting of Fourze might be more familiar to them since its such a common setting.

Under no circumstances would I recommend any of the series I consider Rider Wars. Ryuki, Kabuto, Decade, and Gaim being more inter-Kamen Rider conflict centered doesn't work so well for a jumping point. The rest I either haven't seen or feel one of the previously mentioned series is a better starting mark.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you know what to expect from MOTW shows, and want an 80s flair to things, Kamen Rider Black is an EXCELLENT place to jump on.

If you want something much shorter that doesn't make too much sense but is fun as hell, ZO is only 60 minutes.

ZO for the record was my first Rider series.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Type Formula looks way better in motion and in close-ups then it did on the pictures.

I'd suggest if you're watching the series give it a chance in motion before you dismiss it. There's a few neat little touches on it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I love that the sponsor stickers on it are the names of all the Shift Cars. :3:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Cernunnos posted:

I love that the sponsor stickers on it are the names of all the Shift Cars. :3:

Yes that was such an amazing detail.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kabuto despite its many many non-food related flaws seems like a good first series. You get the good and the bad and it even prepares you for tvn subs.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Why would you watch Kabuto subbed when you could be watching it's amazing dub instead? :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sul_G0WNJk

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If you think Gaim was grimdark when Oren was introduced in the show before the tenth episode, continued his antics throughout, and didn't die or really have anything bad ever happen to him, I don't know what to tell you.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Gaim is a show whose reception tells how long they've been into the franchise.

I've noticed people who use it as a first have a hard time adjusting to the other shows, while longtime viewers or at least, those that have followed an average of 2-3 modern shows just view it as refreshing from escaping a rigid structure. I fall into the latter category, and while I enjoyed it, it is very flawed (See: all of Kouta's development needing to repeat itself three times or so). In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't really ground breaking but it did something different-ish.

Also as for fun things about Formula: I liked that Tomari got whiplash during the first usage of it. It was a detail for "Damage from strong form" they didn't really need to use, as I was full expecting him to just be bandaged up for the usual reasons.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

they really seem to be leaning hard into the idea that the Rider systems are really taking their toll on the bodies of both of them

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Dexie posted:

Why would you watch Kabuto subbed when you could be watching it's amazing dub instead? :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sul_G0WNJk

That Cartoon Network logo is a joke, right?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Raserys posted:

That Cartoon Network logo is a joke, right?

It's the South East Asian Cartoon Network. Philippines/Malaysia/Singapore etc got a tokusatsu block on it. It showed...Blade, Kabuto, and a lot of the Sazer stuff.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rei_ posted:

they really seem to be leaning hard into the idea that the Rider systems are really taking their toll on the bodies of both of them

It's not really the system in Shinnosuke's case though. In Go's case, it's undoubtely that the Mach Driver Honoo is incomplete and puts far too much strain in the user's body which we can guess will be fixed once it gets repaired, considering it will be destroyed next episode. In Big Bro Shin's case, Type Formula's Full Throttle is as fast as a F-1 car, which is more than an untrained person can take - as Shinnosuke points out, F-1 drivers have special training to take that speed, which a cop obviously lacks.

I'm getting heavy GaoGaiGar vibes off Type Formula, actually. The Formula Cannon is like the Goldion Hammer, created as a weapon to make up for Shin/Guy being unable to use their proper finisher move (Formula's Full Throttle/Hell and Heaven) due to the strain it puts on them. I have to wonder if the weakness will get quietly forgotten (as toku sadly tends to do) or if it will be a plot point later down the road, Shinnosuke training to overcome Formula's drawback and relying on a proper Full Throttle again.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

We'll have to see what the Shift Cars do. They might be the trick to letting him use Full Throttle in Formula.

I'm wondering what Gou's ultimate form is going to look like. Surely they won't stick him in Deadheat for the rest of the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

We'll have to see what the Shift Cars do. They might be the trick to letting him use Full Throttle in Formula.

I'm wondering what Gou's ultimate form is going to look like. Surely they won't stick him in Deadheat for the rest of the show.

They definitely seem to be alluding to him being on some sort of clock. Possibly that the Mach suit is draining his life or something.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
The best first Rider show is G, actually.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Yosuke posted:

It's the South East Asian Cartoon Network. Philippines/Malaysia/Singapore etc got a tokusatsu block on it. It showed...Blade, Kabuto, and a lot of the Sazer stuff.

Does that mean there's a dub of Blade floating around somewhere??

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

mikeycp posted:

Does that mean there's a dub of Blade floating around somewhere??

Probably? Apparently they moved onto Decade at some point too, but for the most part the region got a lot of dubbed Rider shows because of the Asia branded DX toys.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Shinobimaru in the preview does the robot.

If you aren't loving Ninninger I don't know what to tell you.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fooley posted:

Shinobimaru in the preview does the robot.

If you aren't loving Ninninger I don't know what to tell you.

I dunno, I thought this episode was pretty weak, especially considering how good the previous two were. But then again I really hate Takaharu and this episode only served to make him even more unlikable. I like everyone on the team except him.

The entire point of the episode, that Takaharu needs to work with his teammates, falls flat. The plan to save him ends up being pointless because he saves himself (with help from grandpa), and teamwork only becomes important and useful once Takaharu says so. In the end it really feels like you can just remove everyone but Takaharu because he's the best at everything.

Hopefully this won't continue, because Takaharu is really bland and I've read way too much manga so I'm completely sick of his one-note archetype, and because I didn't like this kind of pseudo-teamwork (where Red > all) with Daigo, a character that was vastly more enjoyable.

Paonmaru's great though. I'm honestly sad that we'll get another support mecha next episode, but hopefully it'll still get to shine because Shurikenjin Paon looks awesome.

Oh well, next episode's Kasumi-centric, and Kasumi's my favourite right now, so it should be more enjoyable, just like the Yakumo and Nagi episodes were.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I feel like a lot of the episode was a pretty much direct critique of the way that Daigo and Right were handled. It was saying that, yeah, you can make red the best but doing so at the expense of not having the other characters involved makes the series less good. I feel like people who are calling Takaharu "Daigo 3.0" or whatever are completely missing the point. He might be acting like that but the world that is being set up around him clearly disagrees with his assessment of himself. Thats what people really hated about the "red-centric" nature of the other shows, that what the others were doing wasn't interesting or important while red got to carry the whole plot on his own. Even in this episode he wasn't really "outpacing" the others, he did all the work in those "training exercises" but most of it was stuff that any one of them could have done, putting out a fire or defeating a fake monster or whatever. The point wasn't to take out the so-called threat, it was to work together so that they could be able to use those skills when a real threat arose. Takaharu didn't do that and predictably he got his rear end handed to him when the monster showed up. Even escaping wasn't done on his own, it took grandpa making the wind spell to get him out, otherwise he would have just been impotently shooting fire off into the sky like he was before their chat.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm enjoying Ninninger, but seriously Takaharu's actor is such a bad fit for the character. His body language and way of speaking completely clashes with his lines. Everything he says is generic hotblooded shonen fare, but the actor doesn't sell it at all. His emoting isn't fired up, but strangely subdued and sounds like he's just reciting the lines instead of playing the character. It's really distracting and the rest of the cast thankfully are all miles better.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Potsticker posted:

I'm enjoying Ninninger, but seriously Takaharu's actor is such a bad fit for the character. His body language and way of speaking completely clashes with his lines. Everything he says is generic hotblooded shonen fare, but the actor doesn't sell it at all. His emoting isn't fired up, but strangely subdued and sounds like he's just reciting the lines instead of playing the character. It's really distracting and the rest of the cast thankfully are all miles better.

Yeah, same for me. I like the team and all, but Takaharu is just kind of awful at playing his role. He's doing all this yelling but it sounds wrong.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
When he goes 'kitaaaaaa!' it reminds me of that time Libra did when he was disguised as Fourze, except not meant as a joke.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The only thing I'm disliking about the show so far is how useless White's been so far, heck the only thing her dog robot has done so far was actively hinder the team's efforts in their debut fight(not to mention this episode it didn't even do anything at all when every other robot did at least one thing before they combined), hope they change this soon

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

drrockso20 posted:

The only thing I'm disliking about the show so far is how useless White's been so far, heck the only thing her dog robot has done so far was actively hinder the team's efforts in their debut fight(not to mention this episode it didn't even do anything at all when every other robot did at least one thing before they combined), hope they change this soon

Both the girls have been weirdly useless. I got a "Nagi doesn't wanna fight with the girls" subtext from the third episode, like they were fine fighting the mooks but Nagi needed to be important like Yakumo and Takaharu.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm used to loud and exuberant Reds, but Takaharu is loud and yelling and sounds like he's congested or talking through his nose and it's super distracting.

I do like the show's aesthetic and the rest of the team, but Takaharu's acting and the show's focus on him so far are dulling my enthusiasm.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Both the girls have been weirdly useless. I got a "Nagi doesn't wanna fight with the girls" subtext from the third episode, like they were fine fighting the mooks but Nagi needed to be important like Yakumo and Takaharu.

Kasumi seems to be really competent, and other characters keep commenting on it. Which is as much as you can expect really from Sentai.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

This is 100% an intentional character trait they're doing, I wouldn't get your hopes of this changing beyond an episode or two where she's forced to become competent to save the others

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Robert "Ramirez" Baldwin opens a bar in Tokyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

As much as I want to eat actual Japanese food, I know when I'm in Japan I'm gonna stop by and eat some of this motherfucker's cheesy fries.

• Locked thread