Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Here are some Russian Futurist poets to soothe your pain

http://hlebnikov.com/works

Fun fact: the guy that wrote this thought that Dostoyevsky's writings would have to be destroyed in order to progress to the great fascist future

The great Russian Troika, galloping forward and crushing the bodies of Russians under its wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Stravinsky posted:

Do you have any recs on some modern Russian poets (who have translations in English because I can't read Russian :languagefail:)

vladimir sorokin is the best i know that's been translated (though if he's been translated to english i don't know). i think pelevin has also written some poetry.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Thank you guys for the ruskies.

Melmudkipper have you read Obscene bird of the Night or Terra Nostra yet?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Stravinsky posted:

Thank you guys for the ruskies.

Melmudkipper have you read Obscene bird of the Night or Terra Nostra yet?

Terra Nostra has my favorite opening line in all of fiction.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

cmon man don't make everyone google it

quote:

Incredible the first animal that dreamed of another animal. Monstrous the first vertebrae that succeeded in standing on two feet and thus spread terror among the beasts still normally and happily crawling close to the ground through the slime of creation. Astounding the first telephone call, the first boiling water, the first song, the first loincloth.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

End Of Worlds posted:

Who says google?

Trying to make you bitches buy and read the mother fucker

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

End Of Worlds posted:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

End Of Worlds posted:

If I read that junk randomly in a book store I'd put the book back on the shelf and shake my head

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You and I have completely different tastes in literature. Not surprised that you're a Steelers fan. You are the worst.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

That guy annoys me for some reason (I think it's the avatar) but he has much better taste in books than you do.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

You and I have completely different tastes in literature. Not surprised that you're a Steelers fan. You are the worst.

Maybe you should just stay outta Latin American fiction if you cannot handle Fuentes and Bolano

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

That guy annoys me for some reason (I think it's the avatar)

On TFF everyone gets that it is a football joke but every other subforum thinks it is a Pokémon joke. So I get why it's annoying haha

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Maybe you should just stay outta Latin American fiction if you cannot handle Fuentes and Bolano

I'd never heard of Fuentes, and I'd still like to read Savage Detectives to see if I'd like THAT Bolaño, and guess what I'll read it in THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE, PUTO

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CestMoi posted:

That guy annoys me for some reason (I think it's the avatar) but he has much better taste in books than you do.

Also you are my least favorite TBB poster

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

On TFF everyone gets that it is a football joke but every other subforum thinks it is a Pokémon joke. So I get why it's annoying haha

I just remembered you like Infinite Jest so I'm sorry but you're both dreadful.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

Also you are my least favorite TBB poster

I don't mind you, but I feel like you don't truly embrace the liking good books way of life.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I just remembered you like Infinite Jest so I'm sorry but you're both dreadful.

good point

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

man i cant wait until someone posts their tier list of tbb posters :D

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

blue squares posted:

I'd never heard of Fuentes

I always thought that Fuentes was one of the most well known latin american writers

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I just remembered that its because he is a latin american writer people probably don't know who he is.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

I always thought that Fuentes was one of the most well known latin american writers

Absolutely the most famous one to have never won the Nobel prize at least. I feel like he is better well known than, say, Cortazar. For me I feel like Fuentes, Garcia Marquez, and Vargas Llosa are kind of the big three names for fiction from the boom.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

I just remembered that its because he is a latin american writer people probably don't know who he is.

You would think they would at least have heard about el gringo viejo.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

man i cant wait until someone posts their tier list of tbb posters :D

I'm working on one but get this: you're not in it :devil: :evil:

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Fuentesss Good conscience is good pro read dunno about thr others but Cortazar is def better known

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Niether of those is as angry as I was hoping.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I like all tbb posters even the ones with poo poo tastes

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I tried to read that Fuentes book that was like... The Eagle of Something. Something about eagles. Anyway the first 30 pages was entirely dreadful and uninteresting and I passed on it. Is it representative of anything?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

I'm working on one but get this: you're not in it :devil: :evil:

*dons flame suit*

Smoking Crow posted:

Nobody's translating modern russian poetry nowadays. Most of the stuff from the soviet period isn't translated yet either. The number 1 new sincere poet is Dmitry Vodennikov but nobody's translating him

sorry anglophones

I found this and I am going to read all these poems when I get a break: http://bigbridge.org/BB17/poetry/twentyfirstcenturyrussianpoetry/twenty-first-century-russian-poetry-contents.html

Ras Het posted:

I tried to read that Fuentes book that was like... The Eagle of Something. Something about eagles. Anyway the first 30 pages was entirely dreadful and uninteresting and I passed on it. Is it representative of anything?

I have not read that one but I don't think you can get 30 pages into terra nostra and be like wow this is boring and dreadful I wish this was chekhov (this is not a chekhov diss)

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 20, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I honestly had to look it up to know what you were talking about. Never read it, but the fact it's so obscure probably means something. Death of Artemio Cruz is probably the best book to test if Fuentes is within your tastes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

I have not read that one but I don't think you can get 30 pages into terra nostra and be like wow this is boring and dreadful I wish this was chekov

Yeah Terra Nostra starts pretty strong. It gets slow after the first section when they do the medieval Spain part but once you get "the point" of what he is doing you get really drawn in.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

blue squares posted:

At least he didn't do what the majority of people on this forum do, and claim that the single greatest opening line in the history of the written word is the beginning of "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

At least he didn't do what the majority of people on this forum do, and claim that the single greatest opening line in the history of the written word is the beginning of "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King.

What?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Don't worry I googled it for you, it's real good:

Multiple 'Best Opening Lines in Literature' blog posts posted:

“The man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.”

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The man in black fled across the desert and seven poo poo novels followed

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Neuromancer also has an awful opening line too many nerds celebrate.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Guns linger.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Neuromancer also has an awful opening line too many nerds celebrate.

"The sky is the color of a uhhh... tv. a dead tv. the future is hosed up."

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

:jerkbag:

Anyway I think we can all agree on what the best opening line is.

quote:

Hwæt!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
e: son of a bitch

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I honestly had to look it up to know what you were talking about. Never read it, but the fact it's so obscure probably means something. Death of Artemio Cruz is probably the best book to test if Fuentes is within your tastes.

Yeah there's very little Latin American anything that isn't to my tastes so I was surprised. I'll look into that at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I think that the Book of John has a good opening line