Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMEjWP-CGbc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Hey at least you're not Aoba. Dude had the worst instrumentality experience possible. Just screaming hysterically under his desk. I guess the implication being he didn't have anyone he loved or maybe his fetish was being terrified and humiliated by multiple Rei clones and he actually did get his dream come true. :downs:
pretty much had to be a goon.

If I remember correctly, this was supposed to be symbolic of Aoba being a nihilist (well, nihilist might be a poor translation or something) and not having anyone to connect with. Or at least, that's what Anno said :v:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
where's the loving 3.33 dub

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SA2K posted:

where's the loving 3.33 dub

I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray a little over a year ago thinking it would be out a few months later. Lol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think Amazon cancelled my preorder because they had no idea when it was going to be out and removed the listing.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Right Stuf lists 3.33 as "Note: This item's release has been delayed to accommodate the theatrical run of the film.".

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

RZApublican posted:

Right Stuf lists 3.33 as "Note: This item's release has been delayed to accommodate the theatrical run of the film.".

That was what happened. A year ago. They delayed it for a limited theatrical release. Then it eventually comes out that they apparently they up the dub in such a way that Gainax made them redo it so we've been waiting a whole year for that. I also pre-ordered the Blu-ray expecting it to be out by March of 2014. Still waiting for an actual release date to be announced.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray a little over a year ago thinking it would be out a few months later. Lol.

It's hard to believe it's taken so long to be released. I was just wondering the other day when 4.0 is coming out and then realized I don't even have 3.0 on disc yet.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Evangelion 2.22 Sahaquiel sequence with alternate audio

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
So this might be an utterly retarded thinking-too-much question, but here goes.

In End of Evangelion, there's several shots of playground swings: one during the scene where Shinji's building a sandcastle, one right after the ex-girlfriend hell/right before the real world segment, and one during the real world segment. Since everything in EoE is apparently painfully symbolic, what do the swings represent?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

In End of Evangelion, there's several shots of playground swings: one during the scene where Shinji's building a sandcastle, one right after the ex-girlfriend hell/right before the real world segment, and one during the real world segment. Since everything in EoE is apparently painfully symbolic, what do the swings represent?

There's probably a half-dozen answers, depending on your reading of the rest of the work. My own interpretation of it is that it's a representation of loneliness or a loss of innocence, which is consonant with the scenes that it appears in. It really brings to mind a painful childhood memory, like you're left all alone in the playground as everyone else leaves to have fun without you.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

A Pinball Wizard posted:

There's probably something to do with how, to play on a swing, you (generally) need another person to push you, who you're dependent on and must trust to do it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Effectronica posted:

There's probably something to do with how, to play on a swing, you (generally) need another person to push you, who you're dependent on and must trust to do it.
Or you just back yourself up to get started, then swing your legs at the appropriate times.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The swing represents the massive monster dong Shinji hides behind his insecurities.

Or something.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I thought it was a classic cliché that if your anime char has a scene with a swing set in his backstory, he had a lovely childhood?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Effectronica posted:

It's also reminiscent of time passing (for example, the time it took Shinji to build the sandcastle) and of being static. A swing goes forwards and goes backwards but never goes anywhere or advances in any way - like Shinji, who is pretty constantly in a dance of one step forwards, one step backwards throughout much of the series.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

and, if i remember right, the hills behind the swingset look like breasts and the swingset and two other objects look kind of phallic beneath them

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I'm frankly sick that this is my Most viewed video by a long shot but here's me mangling OP in the most Midwestern way I can https://youtu.be/vm41jq-1a8g

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Why would you willingly post that to the internet

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

BB2K posted:

Why would you willingly post that to the internet

To feed off angry need tears.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

In the years since I made that I still get the occasional angry comment or PM that I'm raping te beauty of anime and that makes it all worth while.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Basically the scene is Shinjis plight in a nut shell.

The behaviour of building the sand castle (piloting Eva) allows him to be with others and be happy and have meaning and validation. When the other people leave and he is left alone, he keeps building the sandcastle (piloting EVA) as its the only behaviour he knows to be happy, be accepted and validated(so he thinks). But its not working anymore and Shinji hates it (when he destroys the sand castle when he is all alone), but its the only way he knows so he keeps doing it over and over (why he builds it again). He cries and lets it happen because he believes that its how life is, that he has no other choice but to build the sand castle.

The swing I think is a pendulum noting the passing of time or some poo poo. (that scene is oozes subtext and symbolism).

TLDR: Its about Shinji making bad life choices because he thinks he has too.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I'm frankly sick that this is my Most viewed video by a long shot but here's me mangling OP in the most Midwestern way I can https://youtu.be/vm41jq-1a8g

kimochi warui

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Here's a pile of speculation and observations that are actually kinda neat and not fanwanky:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Sandbox_Sequence

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The swing I think is a pendulum noting the passing of time or some poo poo. (that scene is oozes subtext and symbolism).

Yeah, it's not the only pendulum in the film -- there's also that giant fucker in the Minister's office, which seems to have no discernible purpose beyond mauling unwary secretaries. I've never understood what the gently caress that was about, but I assume there's some sort of connection?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, it's not the only pendulum in the film -- there's also that giant fucker in the Minister's office, which seems to have no discernible purpose beyond mauling unwary secretaries. I've never understood what the gently caress that was about, but I assume there's some sort of connection?

There was a lot sub text and imagery that was shoved into EoE with each piece meaning something about something. I could try guess about every piece but who knows what was intended at the end of the day. Mostly its the instrumentality scenes that interest me the most, both in the Original series and EoE.

I know I joke about the show, especially EoE (seriously, it had a giant space vagina eat the main character... seriously guys this happened, it is a thing), but it went balls to the wall-all in on what it wanted to do (espcially EoE) and it still impresses me as the only show out there that went to so much obtuse mind-fuckery to get its message across (thats even if there is a message and I am not just indulging in transferance).

Robotnik Nudes posted:

In the years since I made that I still get the occasional angry comment or PM that I'm raping te beauty of anime and that makes it all worth while.

It is worthwhile and you have done good work sir.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 22, 2015

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

the giant pendulum is an obvious reference to time, future, whatever, but it's also kind of ominous in a way

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
oh for fucksake, I just read on Eva-geeks that Annon joked about it being another 4-6 years until we get the final Rebuild: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion:_Final

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

the giant pendulum is an obvious reference to time, future, whatever, but it's also kind of ominous in a way

It's a "The Pit and the Pendulum" reference, to go with the "Cask of Amontillado" one in the main series.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

House Louse posted:

It's a "The Pit and the Pendulum" reference, to go with the "Cask of Amontillado" one in the main series.

where's the cask of amontillado reference in the main series?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is the title of the fourth movie seriously Evangelion: 3.0 + 1.0 now?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

where's the cask of amontillado reference in the main series?

In episode 21 in the flashback where gendo is showing fuyutski the geodome by taking an elevator. Fuyutski goes "how deep are we going" and gendo replies "getting worried, Montresor?" or something like that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So guess who got picked to direct the new Toho Godzilla movie?

http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/hideaki-anno-and-shinji-higuchi-to-direct-tohos-godzilla-2016-1201464017/

Probably explains why Rebuild 4 is taking so long, but if that's the reason I can't honestly complain.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 1, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You're a loving moron

Late on this but: no u

Sorry to offend the delicate sensibilities but I think the first new movie, especially, is close enough and improved enough that I'd suggest a new person start there. Not like I'm barring anyone from watching the series if they like it a lot, as I already mentioned. (I've got the dvds to lend them even).

Edit: I'm assuming it's clear that when I talk about "new people" it's probably not the type of people who are already watching hours upon hours of VHS era anime. That kind of person should already have watched Eva.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 1, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
:agreed:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So guess who got picked to direct the new Toho Godzilla movie?

http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/hideaki-anno-and-shinji-higuchi-to-direct-tohos-godzilla-2016-1201464017/

Probably explains why Rebuild 4 is taking so long, but if that's the reason I can't honestly complain.

It seems that part of the reason that Rebuild 4 got so delayed is because Anno went through a major depressive episode again in 2013. :(

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/news_20150401.html

An English translation someone sent me:

quote:

What we are trying to do this time.
Also, why I decided to make daydream like Tokusatsu film.

2012, December. After Eva Q opened to public I broke down.
As it is put, I became depressed.
Having cut pieces of my soul for six years in order to make Eva again it was a natural retribution.

2013 comes. It was a year when negative mental waves flooded over again and again. Studio of which I was presentative, studio that I burdened with my work, such studio I couldn't get close to even once.
My relationships to others and the world became weird, as if I was clothed by unrecovable exhaustion, and I was taken in by sense of decay and feeling of mental instability.

In the meantime I caused trouble for many people.

However, thanks to my wife and friends I was able to remain in this world - and I didn't walk away from animation: the voice work I received from Mr. Hayao Miyazaki and my friend creating a new work of the title that made me anime fan in the first place made this possible and helped me to cling on.
A sentai series continued by a friend also supported me as a tokusatsu fan.

Same year, November. Using Shiro Sagisu's PV Production as a hint I came up with plan for short animation anthology - because I yearned to experience the fun of anime and confirm that I like anime - in order to return to the animation scene.
At the same time I also felt it was necessary for the staff and studio battered by Eva production to work on something new that wasn't Eva.
This experiment, currently going on as Japan Animator Expo, is something I'm happy to have done.

2014, beginning. I was finally able to return to studio. Since then I've been returning to work on animation slowly over the year as a rehabilation. In October of the same year I was also happy to be able to honestly look back on my works from high school days onwards thanks to special screening at Tokyo International Film Festival.

And then, 2015. 20 years after broadcast of old Eva, after 2 years of keeping you waiting, work towards completion of New Evangelion Film project is somewhat progressing.
This is because people around me and all anime fans have given me motivation to work again towards the ending. I'm truly grateful to you.
Then, I'm happy if you could give me time for a while, untill the new Eva comes out.

Now at the same time I also create a new work that takes the shape of dreamlike tokusatsu film.
This started in end of January in 2013.

"We'd like you to be director of the new Godzilla film" was the direct request from people of Toho that I got.
"It's impossible. I also have to work on Eva, I can't do this" is how I declined on the spot, being mentally unstable to boot.
However, I was moved by Toho's sincerity and enthusiasm of co-director Shinji Higuchi and thus I ended up accepting the job in March of the same year.

Prayer of science fiction films in general and not only that of past works in continuity, the wishes I put in special effects museum, the wish to repay earlier authors and past works that embodied ideals for me, completing such intentions and responsibilities was the resulting conviction and for that I took the job.
I took the job as a one time challenge, as something I can't do except now, as something I can do because it's now.
I took the job as I realized I was in a state that I couldn't continue unless I took in a new work that wasn't Eva.

Same year, May, I decided what I wanted to depict in the work, what I ought to take as a subject.
And in June of the same year I submitted a proposal to Toho named "G-Work Memo" and started creating plot etc.

A science fiction world where Godzilla exists is not only caricature of reality filled in dreams and aspirations, it is also a satire and mirror image of reality. It is also a reckless experiment to try to depict that in contemporary Japan.
To be frank working in Japan where capital and production time is extremely small in comparison to the world there exists many limits on content and I can not know to just how large extent what is planned can be realized.

However, grasping the pride that belongs to a "film", hoping the resulting works will be at least a little bit interesting, I'm working full power on this and New Eva as the things the current I can do - direction of movies, content of screenplays etc. twists and turns as we're led down the current.

Whatever author writes it becomes a mere excuse, but more than obviously exposing myself for goodwill and badwill, I merely hope this helps you to understand at least a little bit why at this time and in this country I've opted to create fantasy like tokusatsu feature as representative of Japan - this is the final move in this badly written piece.

Finally I want to again express gratitude to all the people around me who've supported me as well as all the fans and audience members who have supported my works, making it possible for me to make films again.

Thank you.

Director-Producer Hideaki Anno

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Oh boy! Rebuikd 4 is going to be the loving The End of the End of Evangelion.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Can't wait for End of Godzilla 4.44

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

You can [not] Rodan.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Destroy [All] Monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks