Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Oh jesus I'm so sorry - there aren't going to be any more books, we could have warned you before you began.

Spoiler that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nine-gear crow posted:

Brandon Sanderson's a big ASoIaF fan too and after Robert Jordan died he's kind of become the go-to "finish the unfinished series" guy after The Wheel of Time. He's also a pretty fast writer, putting out 13 non-WoT novels, including a pair of 200,000+ word doorstoppers since 2011, when GRRM "finished" A Dance with Dragons.

That said, Sanderson mistakenly believes there's no moon orbiting the ASoIaF world for some baffling reason, so maybe he's not the best choice after all. :shrug:

I want Sanderson to finish ASOIAF regardless of when GRRM dies just to see how he shoehorns Hoid* in to the story.

* It's Patchface, obviously.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Lycus posted:

The more I think about him, the more I'm glad he's cut. And everywhere I go (except here), I see book-purists crying "They can't cut Aegon! He's too important! They're ruining the story!"

Is it 100% certain that he's been cut? If so that's a pretty huge book spoiler and GRRM probably hasn't even written his fate yet.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Gianthogweed posted:

Is it 100% certain that he's been cut? If so that's a pretty huge book spoiler and GRRM probably hasn't even written his fate yet.

He wasn't cast and river boat stuff was seen being adapted into Tyrion/Jorah scenes. That's enough percentage for me.

Also, there's gonna be a lot of huge book spoilers from now on, anyway.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 23, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It isn't a meteor. It's a comet which is why it is always called a comet.

Thanks for the clarification. How long is the comet visible? days? months? Is it still visible?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gianthogweed posted:

Is it 100% certain that GRRM hasn't even written yet.

ftfy

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Lung posted:

Woah, this is some Andrew WK level poo poo. And you think this reveal will be in TWOW????

wait, theres an Andrew W K conspiracy?

kcroy posted:

If not then, in the HBO series... I have heard she will have a small character cameo, but that it will secretly reveal she isn't the original Miley.

god dammit tired me sees that and partially believes it, since evidence lines up. am i a nutter

computer parts posted:

I'm going to pretend that Taylor Swift started that conspiracy theory since she apparently does go on 4chan.

this was just a rumor with some decent evidence behind it, some of the evidence behind it was photoshopped and (since apparently moot knows swift) all of the posts came from an ip that was not hers. its not gonna stop me from wanting it to be true though

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

I'm going to pretend that Taylor Swift started that conspiracy theory since she apparently does go on 4chan.

wow that is a real (sub) conspiracy? Excellent.

Luna Was Here posted:

god dammit tired me sees that and partially believes it, since evidence lines up. am i a nutter

I know right?!

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tbh this conspiracy theory is more interesting than a book that will never come out.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want Sanderson to finish ASOIAF regardless of when GRRM dies just to see how he shoehorns Hoid* in to the story.

* It's Patchface, obviously.

KJA and Brian Herbert would explain how Nagga was actually a water-worm, bring back gholas of everyone from Ned Stark to Gared to Garth Greenhand and finally introduce the new concept of Ultra-Mega Spice though?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Luna Was Here posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_W.K.#Legal_disputes

ITS NOT A CONSPIRACY IF ITS ALL TRUE MAAAAN

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

eXXon posted:

Alternately, in his dying breath he hands the manuscripts to old man Gene Wolfe and lamprey pies are replaced with petromyzontiforme phylla.

If people think there are a lot of tin-foil hat theories now, they have no idea, there would be ten times as many if Gene Wolfe were the one in charge.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

kcroy posted:

Thanks for the clarification. How long is the comet visible? days? months? Is it still visible?

It seemed to last at least a few days but I don't think the books were ever clear on how long it was in the sky.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Aegon sucks because you know GRRM didn't come up with him until at least 2005, and he's struggling to come up with new material that isn't actually Dany coming to Westeros, for some reason? I think it's very possible he hasn't come up with an endgame he's satisfied with and is kicking his tires on whatever else buys him time.

Sure you can come up with small circumstantial evidence tha GRRM was planning Aegon earlier, but it's intentionally vague stuff that kept his options open for any weird future stuff he planned. It's lazy and insults the reader to be honest.

Bless the show for getting rid of that nonsense and cutting to Varys just outright supporting Dany's claim. Too bad the show has...a less than stellar record on inventing material.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I really hope Aegon and Stoneheart being removed means I don't have to give a poo poo about them in the books either.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
All things considered I think the show has been very good about their severely altered/made up stuff. Some bad, a lot of great. Hound vs. Brienne for Arya was brilliant.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If they changed anything, it should have been Stannis losing at the Blackwater.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

Aegon sucks because you know GRRM didn't come up with him until at least 2005, and he's struggling to come up with new material that isn't actually Dany coming to Westeros, for some reason? I think it's very possible he hasn't come up with an endgame he's satisfied with and is kicking his tires on whatever else buys him time.

Sure you can come up with small circumstantial evidence tha GRRM was planning Aegon earlier, but it's intentionally vague stuff that kept his options open for any weird future stuff he planned. It's lazy and insults the reader to be honest.

Bless the show for getting rid of that nonsense and cutting to Varys just outright supporting Dany's claim. Too bad the show has...a less than stellar record on inventing material.

most of the show-only material owns actually

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

this_is_hard posted:

most of the show-only material owns actually

uhh? Brienne vs Hound was good, everything else was (really) bad. That theon rescue was downright embarrassing, dany wailing "they stole my draaaagons" wasn't much better.

e: craster's keep stuff was okay I guess, not horrible, just felt like filler

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 23, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

uhh? Brienne vs Hound was good, everything else was (really) bad. That theon rescue was downright embarrassing, dany wailing "they stole my draaaagons" wasn't much better.

Tywin/Arya owned, Brienne v Hound, the characters being aged up was a good decision, most of the dialogue changes, etc.

Crasters Keep and the Theon rescue sucked, I agree.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Craster's probably could've been salvaged if they left out the silly boss fight and allowed Jon and Bran to meet (and come up with a reason for Jon to let Bran go).

I think the Dreadfort was probably unsalvageable because they weren't willing to do to anything to Yara, presumably to put her back on the Asha track.

Lots of other changes have been well-received. The list of changes is much larger than those two scenes, so I do think people overly focus on them when talking about changes.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 23, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

Tywin/Arya owned, Brienne v Hound, the characters being aged up was a good decision, most of the dialogue changes, etc.

Crasters Keep and the Theon rescue sucked, I agree.

I was talking about all-new stuff, not stuff that was there previously but altered. Many of those have been good for sure. Tywin/Arya was good and I actually forgot it wasn't in the books. They hosed up Tyrion's escape in a lot of ways though, leaving with Jaime as friends is pretty hosed.

I think Craster's Keep, Brienne vs Hound, Yara rescue, and Arya/Tywin were the closest things to whole-cloth new material, and while 50% of those things were good, I fear for a full season of that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 23, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It seems like if the changes are getting two characters together to talk more they're good, but if they're to insert an action scene they are bad.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

PresidentBeard posted:

It seems like if the changes are getting two characters together to talk more they're good, but if they're to insert an action scene they are bad.

Brienne versus the Hound was mostly action and worked pretty well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think Craster's Keep, Brienne vs Hound, Yara rescue, and Arya/Tywin were the closest things to whole-cloth new material, and while 50% of those things were good, I fear for a full season of that.

Going with your division: that's new material for stuff that takes place during the good books. New material for stuff that takes place during the bad books might be not be the same percentage.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lycus posted:

Going with your division: that's new material for stuff that takes place during the good books. New material for stuff that takes place during the bad books might be not be the same percentage.

yeah true, maybe they can make something actually happen with Dany/Tyrion/Jorah/etc

I'm still confused as to how they are gonna ditch the iron islands stuff - melisandre promised balon would die.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

Brienne versus the Hound was mostly action and worked pretty well.

Yeah exceptions and all. I probably should have included a few "usually" qualifiers.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm no book purist but I think it's reasonable to have some doubts about the show writers moving past the book and doing a lot of the writing themselves. The show has been really good at minor tweaks and even substantial changes but their successes come when they don't stray very far. Stuff like Tywin and Arya, or Sansa's confession to the TV's version of the Lords Declarant really worked well but didn't stray super far from the original story.

When they've gone totally off the reservation and written their own stuff you get some pretty bad work. Theon's rescue, the cringe-worthy FOOKIN LEGEND drinking from a skull, Potatoe Boy's Sweet Vengeance and Bro-Nod.

I'm pretty nervous to see how they manage a change as major as Jaime in Dorne.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Being successful at cutting Aegon and making Tyrion/Varys > Tyrion/Jorah > Tyrion/Dany entertaining would be a huge victory.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The march towards death via peak fuckery continues:

http://www.avclub.com/article/game-thrones-showrunners-admit-theyll-spoil-end-bo-216931

quote:

Game Of Thrones showrunners admit that they’ll spoil the end of the books

Well, it was only a matter of time, which recently hasn’t been on George R.R. Martin’s side—Game Of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have finally admitted that the show will end in the same way as Martin’s books. And given that Martin’s sixth entry in his A Song Of Ice And Fire series, The Winds Of Winter, stands a slim-to-none chance of being released in 2015, HBO’s cash cow seems poised to jump ahead of its source material sooner than anyone expected. Speaking to the Oxford Union over the weekend, Benioff explained how his show will overtake the books:

Luckily, we’ve been talking about this with George for a long time, ever since we saw this could happen, and we know where things are heading. And so we’ll eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going; there might be a few deviations along the route, but we’re heading towards the same destination. I kind of wish that there were some things we didn’t have to spoil, but we’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The show must go on...and that’s what we’re going to do.

As he said, Benioff and Weiss have known for some time what the endgame for the world of Westeros will be, but for a while it seemed as though they might take significant creative liberties to get there. Now that it’s down to “a few deviations,” reality seems to be setting in for Martin, who has canceled several public appearances in order to hunker down on delivering The Winds Of Winter as soon as possible. With a little bit of swagger, he even hinted at the possibility he might show up if writing goes uncharacteristically fast, saying, “Should I complete and deliver Winds Of Winter before these cons roll round, I reserve the right to change my mind.”

Meanwhile, HBO has stated that it wouldn’t mind one bit if Game Of Thrones went to 10 seasons, which in theory would force Benioff and Weiss to spread their story a little more thin and possibly even give Martin enough time to finish the saga first. Ever the realist with his “show must go on” mentality though, Benioff doesn’t sound ready to slow down for anyone. As for why people would read the likely long-winding seventh book after its ending has already played out on screen, he offered, “the thing that’s kind of fun for George is the idea that he can still have surprises for people even once they’ve watched the show through to the conclusion.”

So there you have it, devoted readers of A Song Of Ice And Fire since 1996. Reading the last book might bring you a few delightful wrinkles left out of the show, much like J.K. Rowling’s recent revelation that Harry Potter’s world actually included a Jewish wizard or two.

“the thing that’s kind of fun for George is the idea that he can still have surprises for people even once they’ve watched the show through to the conclusion.”

“the thing that’s kind of fun for George is the idea that he can still have surprises for people even once they’ve watched the show through to the conclusion.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lady Bureaucrazy
Jan 24, 2007

Step 1: Insert speaker into vagina
All this talk about show-only storylines, how has no one mentioned Ros?

Remember Ros? That was pretty awful.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lycus posted:

Season 2 had good scenes though and that book is terrible.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My thoughts exactly. Has Der Gurm responded yet, or is he trying to commit seppuku with a garlic baguette?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

computer parts posted:

Season 2 had good scenes though and that book is terrible.

Well, with the scenes he listed there, Season 2 changes stand at 100% positive. Good sign for Season 5.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

This to me seemed like a "We need something for Jon Snow to do this season other than talk to people at Castle Black" type of thing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They really, really wanted that battle for episode 9.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Crasters is alright except that the guy playing Sam must've hosed one of the writers girlfriends because he's got lines that don't belong in a grade school play in those Gilly scenes.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The show is the show and books are the books. The show is the show and the books are the books! THE SHOW IS THE SHOW AND THE BOOKS ARE THE BOOKS!

:weeping:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Well he sort of made his own bed here by not moving the narrative forward at all in the four years the show's been airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
As much as I'd prefer to get the ending via the books, even if they're all ADWD level crap, this is the perfect punishment for GRRM and I very much look forward to him getting saltier and saltier as the seasons slip by.

Edit: I'm enjoying watching people hang their hats on the "Well HBO said it could be 10 seasons" thing. Even if we're just going by averages and accept that Le Fucker Absolutament isn't going to fret over his ending more than anything that's come before, he's still not going to beat them. And ironically, in the time between the show debuting and now showrunners have really strengthened their hands for fighting against artificial series stretching thanks to things like Breaking Bad and Lost.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 24, 2015