Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I say this having bought the moonlight butterfly effect parts for the HG at ludicrous markup. I just really really like the other suits in that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I don't see what's wrong with liking boring designs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I will admit, the G-Self is probably the most misdesigned suit in the show. It just looks like a cuter, friendlier Gundam, rather than the eerie, deadly killing machine it's supposed to be, and that's pretty striking considering how appropriate all the other machines look to their narrative role.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I will admit, the G-Self is probably the most misdesigned suit in the show. It just looks like a cuter, friendlier Gundam, rather than the eerie, deadly killing machine it's supposed to be, and that's pretty striking considering how appropriate all the other machines look to their narrative role.

Given its role and the direction and concept they did with a lot of the other suits, I really wish they did something more knightlike, to match the G-Arcane. Or at least something princely.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't see what's wrong with liking boring designs.

It's a contradiction in terms, for a start? Now, functional, minimalist designs, on the other hand...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think they needed to be relatively safe with the hero robot design to bring people in. It's in the other mobile suits where they experimented a bit more. Even the basic suits on each side are very interesting imo. Also it's basically the Eureka 7 sequel I've been waiting for and that we all deserve

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I was being polite so as to not offend, but if you wanna go that way, I'll just say that everything in G-Reco looks like absolute trash, from character designs to suits. With any luck, this'll get made so at least something good can come of it.

Thats fake concept art they painted up in like 20 minutes before the camera crews went into the office to shoot interview stuff.

They put it up over the actual gself design lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I guess that makess it real concept art, just not for anything they ever intended to use

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
G-self looks just like Strike. Basically a generic suit.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Protagonist gundams are the best gundams.

Edit: Also, I think I realized why I like the Sky Gundam so much. It's like the Odysseus and the Exia had a baby.

Hey now, the Ex S is loving rad.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 24, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The idea was to quickly paint up the most generic, uninspired design they could while still looking official and you fell for it, haha

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TheManSeries posted:

Hey now, the Ex S is loving rad.

They're all loving rad :colbert:

Sharkopath posted:

The idea was to quickly paint up the most generic, uninspired design they could while still looking official and you fell for it, haha

Don't be a tosser. I know you're trying really hard to hit your max fyad ironic posting meter, but dial it back.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Don't be a tosser. I know you're trying really hard to hit your max fyad ironic posting meter, but dial it back.

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's all true too, the sky gundam design is just a cover they put up.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

They're all loving rad :colbert:

Don't take it so personally. It is pretty funny.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Man I know it's be a pain but I'd love to see an animated Ex-S

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

G-self looks just like Strike. Basically a generic suit.

It looks like the Strike's surly kid brother. Kira's first ride is indeed generic, and none too pretty, but it at least scores higher in intimidation points.

Cute suits are perfectly fine (everyone loves the Acguy), but 'cute' just doesn't fit the G-Self's role.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

As far as a suit to go find lost children, though, it's a pretty fitting one.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I guess I can understand people calling protagonist suits boring. After all, the Exia is perfect, and apparently some people find perfection boring. I just can't empathize with them. :smug:

For real though most mobile suits are rad and I'm always glad to see people in this thread showing off cool designs that I otherwise wouldn't look twice at. I usually come to appreciate them, too. :shobon:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TheManSeries posted:

Didn't they do a basic 3D animation of the transformation at some point in the past? It's probably not impossible with modern technology, but how well has Sentinel done, overall? Enough to get a fistful of MGs sure, but I don't know if they could milk a couple OVAs out of it.

Speaking of plastic robots though, how good are the Robot Damashis? I remember seeing a Penelope and if they're good and the price is reasonable, I can't really avoid the urge for another one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Didn't they do a basic 3D animation of the transformation at some point in the past? It's probably not impossible with modern technology, but how well has Sentinel done, overall? Enough to get a fistful of MGs sure, but I don't know if they could milk a couple OVAs out of it.

Speaking of plastic robots though, how good are the Robot Damashis? I remember seeing a Penelope and if they're good and the price is reasonable, I can't really avoid the urge for another one.

You really can't go wrong with RD figures for build quality. Just be aware that the scaling on them is iffy at best if you intend to put them with 1/144 HGs.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

You really can't go wrong with RD figures for build quality. Just be aware that the scaling on them is iffy at best if you intend to put them with 1/144 HGs.

Most of my collection is MG, and turns out the price is 200 bucks, way beyond my range. That's as much as the Mechanicore Penelope is shipped, at half the total height and not matching up with the scale most of my kits are in. Thanks anyways though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zwingley posted:

I guess I can understand people calling protagonist suits boring. After all, the Exia is perfect, and apparently some people find perfection boring. I just can't empathize with them. :smug:

For real though most mobile suits are rad and I'm always glad to see people in this thread showing off cool designs that I otherwise wouldn't look twice at. I usually come to appreciate them, too. :shobon:

Personally I'm just not a big fan of the design of the standard humanshape suit, and with gundam they share so many color schemes and major design aesthetics that they all blend together.

My favorite gundam is the patlabor wearing the flak jacket.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TheManSeries posted:

Good news, then! It was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRynhjiIsM

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Pfft, Gundam fans. Join the grunt party and you can enjoy cheaper kits, more varied designs (including oddbal MSV poo poo like the Juggau and Zogok), and lots of Zakus. Granted, most of your kits will be HGUC and the total screentime your suits appeared animated combined are a bit less than half as long as the MK II appeared, but we all have to make sacrifices.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

closeted republican posted:

Pfft, Gundam fans. Join the grunt party and you can enjoy cheaper kits, more varied designs (including oddbal MSV poo poo like the Juggau and Zogok), and lots of Zakus. Granted, most of your kits will be HGUC and the total screentime your suits appeared animated combined are a bit less than half as long as the MK II appeared, but we all have to make sacrifices.

Except Leo fans. Leo fans get to eat dirt and learn how to master the art of heavily customizing kits to get their grunt fix. And don't even get started on Serpents.

:smith:

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I think we can all agree that amphibious suits are best suits.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Except Leo fans. Leo fans get to eat dirt and learn how to master the art of heavily customizing kits to get their grunt fix. And don't even get started on Serpents.

It is a shame that they refuse to put out the only good mobile suits Katoki ever designed.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

StalkofWheat posted:

I think we can all agree that amphibious suits are best suits.

I dream of a world where a really buff Hygogg crushes the head of every dumb gundam until the end of time.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm sure the HGAC Leo will come out right after the HGUC Zaku III 2.0 and Qubeley 2.0. :smith:

I still have hope though. Back in 2004, I never expected things like the Blue Destiny units, Nemo, and GM Quel to get HGUC kits and the 2.0 MG kits to come out. Most of the recent non-Gundam hguc kits appear to be just recolors of Unicorn kits right now, but I'm sure the HGUC line will start releasing new grunt molds soon. Ish.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Some shopping questions. For something like that Stark Jegan exclusive, how do I use Yokatta (assuming that's the easiest way)? And in regards to hlj, is it really worth it to try buying backordered kits or should I generally look elsewhere? If so, where?

The assumption that grunt suits get kits at all is what hurts most about this post. Also even as a grunt lover I can't find it in me to defend the Juaggu

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

dogsicle posted:

Some shopping questions. For something like that Stark Jegan exclusive, how do I use Yokatta (assuming that's the easiest way)? And in regards to hlj, is it really worth it to try buying backordered kits or should I generally look elsewhere? If so, where?

The assumption that grunt suits get kits at all is what hurts most about this post. Also even as a grunt lover I can't find it in me to defend the Juaggu

There's a pretty decent set of grunts in the HGUC line if you like UC grunts. Unfortunately, it seems Bandai is more interested in pumping out new Gundams ATM, even though the ZZ-colored Doven Wolf and Dressien are nice. gently caress another Victory Gundam; I want my HGCC Kapool and SUMO along with HGAC grunt kits. Hell, give me HGFC Death Army kits for some HGFC God Gundam cannon fodder.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

dogsicle posted:

I can't find it in my heart to hate early UC Zeon suits, they all look so adorably doofy, from the Gogg's beer gut to the Juaggu's missile fingers.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

TARDISman posted:

I can't find it in my heart to hate early UC Zeon suits, they all look so adorably doofy, from the Gogg's beer gut to the Juaggu's missile fingers.

Zeon suits are 70s cartoony as hell and I would never want them any other way. You can take the bell bottom-wearing Dom and Gelgoog from my cold, dead hands.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's okay, I can hate the Juaggu enough for multiple people. *waits for HG Zock and Asshimar to arrive*

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm sure the HGAC Leo will come out right after the HGUC Zaku III 2.0 and Qubeley 2.0. :smith:

I'm waiting on the MGAC line to finish up. All that's left is the Altron, Heavyarms Custom, and the grunts, right? Heavyarms Custom doesn't seem too much to expect, but the others...

Someday I'll have a full set. Someday. :unsmith:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I want a SD or HGUC Nightingale so I can have a full collection of Char/Full Frontal's suits in the same scale without spending a ridiculous amount of money I don't feel like spending on MG and RE/100 kits. Yeah it's just an obese Sazabi but I don't care. :colbert:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm waiting on the MGAC line to finish up. All that's left is the Altron, Heavyarms Custom, and the grunts, right? Heavyarms Custom doesn't seem too much to expect, but the others...

Someday I'll have a full set. Someday. :unsmith:

There isn't a sandrock custom ether. It would just be a recolor, but still.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Droyer posted:

There isn't a sandrock custom ether. It would just be a recolor, but still.

A recolor with a neat cloak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

They're gonna announce the HGUC Capuile or HGCC Kapool any day now. And then I'll buy three.
Any day now. :(