Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The entire site is for third party stuff. That's why it says Daban PG Astray, and why it's so cheap.

Generally it's okay to link to stuff that doesn't have a legitimate alternative (MC's 1/144 Xi Gundoom, Mechanicore's 1/100 Ex-S Deep Striker, etc) or is different enough that it's clearly its own thing (MC's Nu Gundoom, Daban's MG Strike vRM, etc). Everything else is... well, there's no rule against linking bootlegs but it's kind of a dick move because there are people like you who don't know the situation.

I will say this though: if you need replacement parts, bootlegs can be a god send.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Oh hey, I normally don't go for the overtly even-more-of-a-samurai-than-they're-already-deliberately-designed-to-be gundams, but this is pretty nice.
Sounds like you need a Sengoku Astray in your life,

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Now with legs!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Folks, I need some inspiration/help.

My end goal is to have the RG line entirely on my display shelf. The shelf can fit it, as long as I work out some way to make a second tier, so I can have two rows.

But what could I use as that riser to make the second tier? I know buying actual risers would be a ripoff for what I want, but I'm drawing a blank on what I could use.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

My end goal is to have the RG line entirely on my display shelf. The shelf can fit it, as long as I work out some way to make a second tier, so I can have two rows.

But what could I use as that riser to make the second tier? I know buying actual risers would be a ripoff for what I want, but I'm drawing a blank on what I could use.

I know this isn't at all what you asked for, but could you use Action Bases to have the the suits that can fly posed above the ones that can't? That way you'd effectively have two tiers.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Well, it's going to all be RGs, and AB2s can't get tall enough to have one 1/144 entirely over another 1/144.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Get some AB1s then.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

peeNamaste posted:

Now with legs!

That looks gorgeous. It's just the right shade of metallic blue.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Get some AB1s then.

I was hoping there'd be a cheaper alternative. ABs are pretty dang expensive en masse.

Also, yeah, peeNamaste, that Hygogg is gorgeous.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That looks gorgeous. It's just the right shade of metallic blue.

Thanks! I just have to do a little more detail and another coat if future and its done! Going to make a base with some foam rocks or something too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AB1s are large enough that you should be able to put multiple RGs on each one. And you can always have the AB1s be in the back and have the other RGs just stand in front of them.

There are 17 RGs; I'd say you only need about four AB1s. Less if you have any AB2s, since then you can stick the stands into the AB1's base and get more bang for your base.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

You can see the "random things from the hardware store" approach I used to make shelves in this picture:

Just replace the plexiglass with a 1x6 painted/stained whatever color you want (to make them cheaper and easier to work with) and bolt a second set of angle braces to the first set to make a "C" shape to make them free-standing.

...assuming you don't mind the industrial look.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

You can see the "random things from the hardware store" approach I used to make shelves in this picture:

Just replace the plexiglass with a 1x6 painted/stained whatever color you want (to make them cheaper and easier to work with) and bolt a second set of angle braces to the first set to make a "C" shape to make them free-standing.

...assuming you don't mind the industrial look.

That's a pretty good idea actually. The shelf's length and depth is 110cm x 26cm, so the ideal would be a riser that is like, 110cm x 13cm x 15cm high (which would give decent clearance over other 1/144s)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

peeNamaste posted:

Now with legs!

This is good as hell.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Which RX-78 is this? I can't identify it at all.

e: I mean the kit itself.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 25, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Looks to be a custom paintjob based on the Real Type colors.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
For everyone who was complaining that there haven't been enough Master Grades this year,

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Bimmi posted:

Maybe the Mega Size?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah ok gently caress it, let's put 3 Zaku II's on the shelf, they can hang out with Char's 2.0.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Welp, guess I do gunpla now.

The Hobbytown near me has a small gunpla section So I figured gently caress it and got Mr. Ral's Gouf. I only did some slight panel-lining, matte varnish (which got a bit screwed up because i didn't block the breeze enough), and painted the thrusters, just to see what it looked like with minimal effort. I think I'll paint any others I build, though.

I already want to get a Hi-Mock to slap some spare North Korean Air Force decals on....

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

For everyone who was complaining that there haven't been enough Master Grades this year,

At least two of those are a web shop exclusive, which people don't count.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TARDISman posted:

At least two of those are a web shop exclusive, which people don't count.

All of them are.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

Get some AB1s then.

"Base, we have secured the new moblie suit!"

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Oh wow, you can get a pretty decent amount of HGUC kits for under $50. I've got the OG GM, Zaku II F2, GM Quel, Blue Destiny Unit 1, and Zaku 1 in my cart at Hobby Search for a cool $41 USD.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

All of them are.

Then, yeah, they don't count, not on the count of how many get officially released, and not on the official count of what number Master Grade we're on.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I cancelled my hyaku shiki 2.0 preorder like two weeks ago and now a new picture of it from a magazine made me put it on order again. im retarded

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Cthulu Carl posted:

Welp, guess I do gunpla now.

The Hobbytown near me has a small gunpla section So I figured gently caress it and got Mr. Ral's Gouf. I only did some slight panel-lining, matte varnish (which got a bit screwed up because i didn't block the breeze enough), and painted the thrusters, just to see what it looked like with minimal effort. I think I'll paint any others I build, though.

I already want to get a Hi-Mock to slap some spare North Korean Air Force decals on....

Wait what huh? It has normal hands under the gun fingers?!

I thought the whole point of that weird thing is that its fingers were guns and it's arm concealed whips and it was like some crazy robot stuff.

... if it just has hands under there. I don't know what to think.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's the Gouf R35 which is the tacticool self-aware gouf from a series where a Gundam is a cartoon series but somehow a character from it exists in Real Life without anyone addressing it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's a meta-gouf

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Wait what huh? It has normal hands under the gun fingers?!

I thought the whole point of that weird thing is that its fingers were guns and it's arm concealed whips and it was like some crazy robot stuff.

... if it just has hands under there. I don't know what to think.

THIS Gouf has hands under the gun hands because it's from Build Fighters and just that drat rad.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Man. I'm so glad I wasn't a kid for the Gunpla fighters era. That show is so insanely perfectly designed to make a 10 year old lose their poo poo, I don't know how I'd survive watching it *and* buying the toys at the same time.

I actually watched a couple episodes with my wife. Even she thought it was kind of fun, despite having a congenital disorder where she can't see robots.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

peeNamaste posted:

Now with legs!

I like this. Paints and coats plz.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

boom boom boom posted:

I'd actually be annoyed if they did clog up the regular line with these things (still pissed about Tallgeese III RIP)

John Carstairs posted:

Maybe the Mega Size?

Thanks, just couldn't wrap my brain around it for some reason.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TARDISman posted:

Then, yeah, they don't count, not on the count of how many get officially released, and not on the official count of what number Master Grade we're on.

There was a discussion earlier about the lack of announced Master Grade releases this year and whether or not that meant the line was "withering on the line". Bandai is releasing three almost identical MG kits. that means they think they can sell three almost identical MG kits at the same time. It may not make the official Master Grade Number go up, but it certainly means good things about the health of the line.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
A clutch of zero-budget online-only recolors are not what I'd call a positive or negative sign ether way, and it doesn't change the fact that we're getting the fewest regular MG releases in something like twelve years.

e: fifteen years, actually.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 25, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

muike posted:

it's a meta-gouf

Imagine if it had 4 gun hands instead of hands and 2 gun hands.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bimmi posted:

1/48 Mega Size based on the Real Type color scheme and the paint available during the Tamiya shortage the U.S. had a while back. At first I'd used a vaguely greenish tan I ended up hating, the green wasn't dark enough (thing uses a ton of paint), and I felt the blue made it look like when a printer runs out of one color of ink. Painting over the tan with metallic silver and darkening up the green really helped though and now I really like it (after about a year of it sitting on my desk being a disappointment).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is special about the Zaku's there? First one looks like a 2.0 of Ridden's Zaku but I can't place the other two.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Ka0 posted:

I like this. Paints and coats plz.

The blue is Tamiya Metallic Blue. It looks like butt when hand brushed, but great airbrushed. I know people usually get better results by doing clear colors over chrome over black, but I'm building this on a timeline and didn't have time for 3 coats of paint.

The grey is Tamiya gunmetal. Also turns out great from an airbrush, but looks like just sparkly black when hand brushed. L

The topcoat is just pledge floor shine.

I just finished detailing and panel washing, so after I put the final clear coat on this baby it's time to start working on the base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I finally bit the bullet after wanting to get into Gunpla for years and ordered some models, so a couple of newb questions, if that's okay. I currently have HG versions of Char's Custom Zaku II, an RGM-79 and the 00 Gundam on the way, since everything I've seen says they're all good beginner kits. For someone with zero experience (if you don't include that experimentation with 40k way back in high school), how long is each kit likely to take?

Second, for the panel lines, would something like a liner pen (something like this, for example) work? I don't have any hobby or model shops nearby (barring a GW), and I'm doing everything on something of a budget, so something reasonably cheap that I can find locally would be good.

I'm thinking that once I get some experience behind me, I want to go for something impressive (to me, at least). I love G Gundam, so the God Gundam is an obvious must. Has anyone built the Master Gundam/Fuunsaiki kit? It looks great, but I want to know if it'll be out of my league. Does it come with the stand it's always pictured with? And does the horse have any articulation, or is it a solid piece?