Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I didn't realize that Grappa referred to an alcohol and not, say, a euphemism for a body part. I'm kind of disappointed.

yoshesque posted:

And for those of you who are wondering why I would rate this game lower than the first, it essentially boils down to an imbalance in the combat system due to the way the developers had to alter the system to accommodate Umbran Climax. Umbran Climax is so OP that there's no reason to save your magic for anything else because it is the best use of your magic almost 100% of the time. Torture Attacks require the same amount of magic to use, but only target one enemy, while UC gives you range and can hit multiple enemies.

This game has ridiculously strict platinum time requirements that I suspect are based on using UC in order to meet them, and barring a few verses, you will never get a platinum for time if you use a Torture Attack. Due to the time requirements, there's little to no chances to gently caress around/style/juggle enemies. The game just becomes a grind of "kill everything ASAP".

There's much more to my issues with the game than just UC, and I expect I'll be covering all my grievances in a separate video, but that's basically what it boils down to.

You know, from what little I've played of this (a few chapters here and there) I noticed that my time was often poo poo, which surprised me as I almost never do worse than platinum in time in Bayo 1. Huh. Guess that explains it.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Bayonetta is a discerning lady of style and taste, and managed to go from "I want a new pair of heels" to "Here Enzo, carry the shoebox" in roughly a minute and a half. Witch Time or otherwise, that is some powerful shopping skills, goddamn.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I really should get back into bayonetta 2...I picked it up at launch and played for maybe an hour or two, unlocked a few weapons and HOLY poo poo did I suck. but I was also having one hell of a time with it, even with me getting bronzes and i think like, one silver in the time that I played.

edit ~

Will the thread get to vote on the...special extras that nintendo got into the game or will you just do that on your own?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Archenteron posted:

Bayonetta is a discerning lady of style and taste, and managed to go from "I want a new pair of heels" to "Here Enzo, carry the shoebox" in roughly a minute and a half. Witch Time or otherwise, that is some powerful shopping skills, goddamn.

Well this is set just before Christmas, I can easily imagine the crowds being sufficiently rowdy to trigger Witch Time near-constantly

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Been waiting for this ever since the LP of the first game finished.

Does using the Wii U controller feels weird for this game after being so used to the 360? It sure seems that way to me since the Wii U controller is not as ergonomic. I guess using the Pro controller would help but I haven't seen any of those things outside of online stores.

Toes
Dec 6, 2011

Clods to the left of me,
Bookahs to the right.

Suaimhneas posted:

Well this is set just before Christmas, I can easily imagine the crowds being sufficiently rowdy to trigger Witch Time near-constantly

That would have made for a fun bonus stage. Just cartwheeling around trying to pick up the best bargains and slapping other shoppers who try to take what you want.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Camel Pimp posted:

You know, from what little I've played of this (a few chapters here and there) I noticed that my time was often poo poo, which surprised me as I almost never do worse than platinum in time in Bayo 1. Huh. Guess that explains it.

Bayonetta 2 definitely seems to favor a more offensively play style than Bayonetta 1. Not only because breaking a combo can tank your combo score, but also because enemies seem to do less damage on normal mode relative to the first game. It seemed to me as if some of the bosses had a lot of quick attacks in this game so it'll be interesting to see which game Yoshesque has an easier time Pure Platinuming.

As far as the whole magic situation, I think most new or intermediate players are going to like UC. I'm pretty mediocre and when I'm playing online I usually split my magic between UC and Pulley's Butterflies. If Bayonetta 1 had a similar online mode, I would guess that 90% of my magic would probably go towards Pulley's Butterfiles.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Trick Question posted:

Entirely fair, when I play this game I usually settle for platinums or golds so I wouldn't notice that. I wouldn't say discouraging people from using torture attacks is necessarily a bad thing, though, considering how boring they are after you've done them n times.

The verse design in this game is skewed towards making Platinums easy to get, but Pure Platinums are much more difficult to get. There are certain verses where you can lose all your health and still get a gold award on Damage, and as long as you do well in Time and Combo you'll get a Platinum medal. Compare that to getting hit more than twice in the original and getting a silver for damage. I suspect a lot of people who enjoyed this game never tried to Pure Platinum everything, because it is a bitch to do, and personally I have a lot more fun with the game when I don't try to PP it.

Renzuko posted:

I really should get back into bayonetta 2...I picked it up at launch and played for maybe an hour or two, unlocked a few weapons and HOLY poo poo did I suck. but I was also having one hell of a time with it, even with me getting bronzes and i think like, one silver in the time that I played.

edit ~

Will the thread get to vote on the...special extras that nintendo got into the game or will you just do that on your own?

The Nintendo extra stuff is going to be shown off after the initial playthrough. I just prefer the first playthrough to have the default costume all the way through.

Stumbling Block posted:

Been waiting for this ever since the LP of the first game finished.

Does using the Wii U controller feels weird for this game after being so used to the 360? It sure seems that way to me since the Wii U controller is not as ergonomic. I guess using the Pro controller would help but I haven't seen any of those things outside of online stores.

My initial playthrough was with the gamepad (on my second, US-region Wii U :v:), and I had no issues. I prefer the Pro controller though, because it's better in practically every way.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
All this talk about minmaxing Bayonetta and I'm not so proud anymore of my G ranks in El-Shaddai, which let you reload from a new checkpoint after every other fight without losing your rank or anything. :eng99:

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Camel Pimp posted:

I didn't realize that Grappa referred to an alcohol and not, say, a euphemism for a body part. I'm kind of disappointed.

Grappa is wine that hates you.
Grappa is the drink you trick friends into ordering at Italian restaurants/bars and watch their face contort after consumption.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

toddy. posted:

Grappa is wine that hates you.
Grappa is the drink you trick friends into ordering at Italian restaurants/bars and watch their face contort after consumption.

This.

You know how most alcohol is made from like fruit, or potatoes, or grain or something?

Grappa is alcohol that is distilled from other alcohol, and is ready to destroy your throat while giving you the worst hangover in forever.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

PotatoManJack posted:

Grappa is alcohol that is distilled from other alcohol, and is ready to destroy your throat while giving you the worst hangover in forever.

Ha, look at all you people being babies about grappa. Grappa is actually quite tasty. You want Italian liquor that actively hates you, try genziana or centerba.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

a cartoon duck posted:

The biggest improvement in Bayonetta 2 is Bayo's hairdo, really.

She looks much better with the shorter cut than her old beehive, it's amazing.

yoshesque posted:

The verse design in this game is skewed towards making Platinums easy to get, but Pure Platinums are much more difficult to get. There are certain verses where you can lose all your health and still get a gold award on Damage, and as long as you do well in Time and Combo you'll get a Platinum medal. Compare that to getting hit more than twice in the original and getting a silver for damage. I suspect a lot of people who enjoyed this game never tried to Pure Platinum everything, because it is a bitch to do, and personally I have a lot more fun with the game when I don't try to PP it.

That was my feeling too, Once i stopped caring so much about rankings (particularly against certain enemies that are really hard to rank well against) the game got much more fun. I think the only real trouble I had was the.. first boss fight level? I still don't understand what they want you to do there to get good ranking.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, I don't understand the hate for grappa; sure it's a strong tasting liqueur, but I've had much, much worse. I remember my Nonno and Nonna (pronounced Non-nah, not Noh-na, in our family) having a bottle of grappa flavoured with honey. It was very fine to have after a meal and coffee.

meatgetsdirty
Apr 18, 2008
Grappa is awesome and to my understanding is a method of using all the skins and meats from the grapes that were discarded during the wine making process in order to reduce waste.

Wikipedia confirms: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grappa)

mozman
Nov 3, 2010
You're Bayo1 LP is what finally convinced me to get a PS3. I'm definitely looking forward to more of this since there's no chance I'm buying a Wii U.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

mozman posted:

You're Bayo1 LP is what finally convinced me to get a PS3. I'm definitely looking forward to more of this since there's no chance I'm buying a Wii U.

I'm so sorry :smith:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I never actually bothered watching or playing Bayonetta as I assumed it was just another DMC copycat based on the first trailers but with women in tight suits not anime dudes.

Maybe this will change my view. Mostly because I enjoy watching people button mash things to death. Guns for shoes is a good start for over the top laughs at least.

E: Also WOO more Australians, not enough of us doing LPs.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 25, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's only a "copycat" in the sense that it's a spiritual successor to DMC by the original director and many other people who worked on the original game.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage

nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice nice

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

She looks much better with the shorter cut than her old beehive, it's amazing.

Agreed so very much. Bayonetta's actually, dare I say it, attractive with short hair. You know, ignoring her inhumanly gangly proportions.

I like Bayonetta 2 a lot, and I'm kind of sad to hear you don't seem to think very highly of it, Yosh. After the Bayo1 LP I figured you'd be a little more enthusiastic about it. But I can certainly see why trying to Pure Platinum the entire game might suck some of the fun out of it...

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Bayo2 doesn't seem as polished all around as 1 (largely because Kamiya took a back seat) but it also doesn't have a ten minute Space Harrier segment before the final rival battle, or an entire stage devoted to an insufferable motorcycle gimmick. Kamiya's story is just as amazingly incomprehensible as ever, and I have a lot of little niggling criticisms of this game, compared to a couple bigger problems in 1, but I tend to be very forgiving of any game that opens with a dude in a Santa costume tossing you quadruple heelguns while you're riding a fighter jet named after the developer.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Main issue I had with the game was the flying battles that weren't really that special and honestly annoyed me more then anything else.

Also umbran climax is fun but wasn't really scaled properly for the game.

Oh and the clock-scenes look kind of crappy. I feel like they had a budget to skip those kind of cutscenes but just went and kept them in for style despite it looking cheap in both Bayo 1 and 2.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 25, 2015

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I will say that unlike Wonderful 101 (but like Revengeance) I managed to beat this game the first time without dropping to Easy. For me Platinum games are largely about spectacle, I am a babby who can't handle dodge offset and I never did manage to afford the Moon of Mahaa Kalaa until post game. So this game is either easier or more newbie-friendly.

I imagine the difference between 1 and 2 is akin to the difference between Demon's and Dark Souls; it comes down largely to preference and what you personally played first.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013
There needs to be some kind of mixture of this:
And itshappening.gif
I was honestly thinking this LP would take another few months.

mkob posted:

Glad to see you're finally doing it, I have been waiting for this. Also Yosh, please consider bringing some people from /cgg/ in a video or two to criticize the gameplay changes between bayo 1 and 2, this should make for some interesting debates.
Seconding this, I'd really like to hear more of what Yoshesque thinks is wrong with this game. Is she going to make an extra video (series?) about the flaws in B2?

Also, how's /v/ Style going, mkob? Are you going to submit a Traditional as well?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

So this game is either easier or more newbie-friendly.

In my experience this game is significantly easier to simply beat than Bayonetta 1. I can do pretty well on this one while Bayo 1 never stopped kicking my rear end. Seems like it's the opposite when going for Pure Platinums, though.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

mozman posted:

Bayo1...is what finally convinced me to get a PS3.

No, seriously, what alternate reality have I stumbled on to.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ometeotl posted:

As much as I loved Bayo 1, when I switched to a PS3 I resigned myself to never being able to play it again, it's just that bad a port.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I haven't played any Bayonetta games, but having watched the last LP and now staring this one, Bayo 2 does seem to be much much better looking.

Really enjoying these lps! Keep up the good work!

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

I like Bayonetta 2 a lot, and I'm kind of sad to hear you don't seem to think very highly of it, Yosh. After the Bayo1 LP I figured you'd be a little more enthusiastic about it. But I can certainly see why trying to Pure Platinum the entire game might suck some of the fun out of it...

Believe me, I wanted to like this game. Ultimately I do, because it's fun, and it's much prettier than the original. It's just disappointing the developers felt the need to remove elements from the original combat system, because to me, the original system was the perfect balance between basic, but rewarding gameplay, and higher-level techniques that could please both casual and experienced players at the same time. Bayonetta 2 does a very good job at making the basic game amazing, but pretty much fails to add anything deeper than what you see.

I had been hoping that Bayo 2 would build on the original system and offer more things to explore. As it is, Bayo 2 was a step back because they removed techniques for seemingly no good reason.

Plus the dev team seem to really have dropped the ball on the little details in this game. For example:

Bayonetta isn't supposed to have a normal shadow. :spergin:

vvv Bayonetta 2 made Pure Platinum runs completely trivial by basically allowing you to savescum. More details on this on a later update!

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 26, 2015

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

yoshesque posted:

And for those of you who are wondering why I would rate this game lower than the first, it essentially boils down to an imbalance in the combat system due to the way the developers had to alter the system to accommodate Umbran Climax. Umbran Climax is so OP that there's no reason to save your magic for anything else because it is the best use of your magic almost 100% of the time. Torture Attacks require the same amount of magic to use, but only target one enemy, while UC gives you range and can hit multiple enemies.

This game has ridiculously strict platinum time requirements that I suspect are based on using UC in order to meet them, and barring a few verses, you will never get a platinum for time if you use a Torture Attack. Due to the time requirements, there's little to no chances to gently caress around/style/juggle enemies. The game just becomes a grind of "kill everything ASAP".

I guess we agree on one thing; the game is kinda bullshit when you're going for a Pure Platinum run.

I think it's kind of telling that of all the recent Platinum Game, uh, games, only Revengeance has had enough faith in its ranking system and requirements to have a Trophy for getting max ranks on the hardest difficulty. Neither Bayo2 nor W101 actually requires you to ever get a ranking above Platinum - although obviously if you get a Pure Platinum medal you get some extra leeway and the Platinum becomes easier to get - and even those only require you to Platinum one difficulty, even Very Easy.

This is purely speculation on my part, but I believe this is kind of a tacit acknowledgement that the long-standing Time/Combo/Damage thing doesn't really work anymore. With Bayo2 and its reduced rank-penalties for damage, Time and Combo had to be made much stricter, which is great for every rank other than Pure Platinum, because "no damage" isn't really flexible. In W101, the combo requirement kinda sorta worked against the game a lot, because it'd penalize you for working with the game's risk/reward systems and flattening enemies with well-placed 100-man fists instead of deliberately hitting them a lot with weak weapons while they're stunned to farm combo bonuses. Revengenace was the only recent game where the gameplay mechanics and the ranking system really worked together; at its core, Revengeance was the opposite of a combo-em-up, and rewarded above all else fast, decisive victories where you barely even let the enemy get an attack in, much less a hit. The best part was that No Damage wasn't even really its own rank but a bonus you could get that allowed you to get S-Ranks without having to get, say, 50-hit combos in all the time. Optimal Revengeance play is murdering a guy in the minimum possible time, Zandatsuing him, and using the brief downtime to plot your next murder and chaining them together until everything is dead. Importantly, this means difficulty has an appreciable impact on ranks; it's harder to get perfect ranks on the hardest difficulty because enemies are trying like 1000% harder to not let you OHKO them, whereas in W101 and Bayo2 getting a continuous run of Pure Platinums is basically as hard on Very Easy as it is on Very Hard once you can survive, except I guess stuff dies faster on Very Easy and enemy numbers may be different.The point is, when going for a perfect S-Rank run, Revengeance really, really works in a way that W101 and Bayo2 do not.

Of course, being a Platinum Game, it had other issues, most notably with checkpoints (I say this a lot, but god drat, it is kind of astounding how every single Platinum Game has an entirely different extremely dumb problem with checkpoints.). But the systems all worked, and the game is confident enough in that to openly challenge you to ace it. Conversely, Bayo2 and W101 don't do this, because - I think - PG acknowledges that the rankings aren't really watertight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Interested in seeing how this game looks when played by someone who can dodge offset. I never learned despite beating 1 on all difficulties, but doing 2 without dodge offset feels really weird because it feels like most enemies are designed to attack just before you can complete a PKP combo.

EDIT: Regarding W101, yoshesque, that's pretty much the normal reaction to trying to learn the combat system on your own. It's pretty opaque. You'll probably have a lot more fun with the game after watching the first two or three of these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE&list=PLrwWQGfD4d7H_r3hkL6xsJRbQK_R5Du0y

The end of the game is amazing and it's worth the learning curve though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 26, 2015

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Honestly, I think the only reason 101 didn't have an all pure-platinums bottlecap is because it's easily the hardest Platinum game. Also, perhaps, because the bottlecaps unlocked things in that game, so it'd give you something to actually do with all those unlocked characters? That's pure speculation, of course.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Veloxyll posted:

Isn't Bayonetta's whole thing that her clothes are her hair? So how exactly is she making her outfit with short hair I AM CONFUSED.

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler because mechanics, but when she enters Umbran Climax mode her cape things connect to her short hair for a longer flowing thing like she used to have, so...magic.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 01: Pure Platinum Destruction
Part 1: No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download
Part 2: No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Rakshasa

A pair of swords that absorbed the demon god Rakshasa and were cleansed with Soma.

Energy from Rakshasa'a chakra flows from the swords into their user, making them easy to handle.

Accolade

A large angel belonging to the Third Sphere, tasked with commanding the lowest-ranking angels.

Accolades are adept at using many of Paradiso's weaponry, including swords, spears, hammers, and whips. They use these to instill fear into the hearts of all those who doubt the might of God. Accolades have long lived in legend; at times, they were said to have answered the prayers of the most devout followers by temporarily bestowing upon them one of these divine instruments.

Valiance

Valiance is a First Sphere Cherub considered particularly ascendant as a spiritual being even among the other angels. Physical shape means little to angels of this rank; they exist in a metaphysical form that demonstrates the majesty of God.

The most ambitious and brave of the Cherubim, there are some sources that believe Valiance first arrived on Earth thousands of years ago, riding a comet of God's wrath that destroyed everything in its way.

Valiance's sword, the Valiantium Blade, is said to have the power to cut in two anything in Paradiso or Inferno, and is prophesized to one day assist a team of over a hundred heroes in saving humanity from an invading evil.

Cachet & Compassion

Belonging to the lowest rank of angels, these two angels are said to have been sacred weapons brought to Paradiso after the heroes they traveled with came to the end of a long journey.

Charged with protecting the gates of Paradiso, their powerful blades deal swift justice to anyone who carelessly trespasses into the divine realm.

Urbane

The changes of a new era will always give birth to new angels. This is because angels are given form by the fears, doubts, and prayers mankind bases its faith on--feelings which change with mankind's material obsessions.

As a notably advanced being even compared to other angels, Urbane, a Virtue in the angelic hierarchy, is said to be shaped by the subconscious fears of humans. In modern eras, he often appears as a giant with a ball and chain on each of his arms.

Urbane's power to reduce the triumphs of civilization to mere ashes with a single swing of his arm most likely reflects the subconscious fears man harbors towards both the natural world and their own society.

Mictlantecuhtli

A gigantic bat that lurks in one of the darkest and deepest of Inferno's endless caves. It is said to leave trails of the plague wherever it goes.

The protrusion on its head is not an eye, but a spiritual sensory organ that can allow Mictlantecuhtli to access the world in far deeper ways than beings who must only rely on sight alone.

A New Beginning

For reasons I will not get into here, I have dedicated my life to searching for the truth of the Umbra Witches. You could even say I sacrificed the best years of my life pursuing this story.

Working backward from the legends these women left behind, my search took me to Vigrid, a town in the remote hills of Europe the witches once called home.

I ended up getting myself involved in a crazy tale of my own while in Vigrid. I'm thinking of getting it published one of these days, so the details will have to wait for the paying customers.

My fascination with the witches has not waned, far from it; but something new has captured my inquisitive eye. A story of even greater depth calls to me: I had to know more about the true source behind the power of sage and witch alike.

I grew restless, and before long I found myself back on the investigative trail. It wasn't long before I found the very place referenced in that ancient scripture. A quiet town nestled between sea and mountain: Noatun.

Not five minutes in town, I was shocked to see something that confirmed my suspicions, and what a sight it was to behold!

There was nothing less than statues depicting the familiar form of Sage and Witch--statues that were second to none, even when compared to those found in Vigrid.

Divine Retribution

If you're going to spit in the face of God, you're probably going to incur some of his wrath. That's just common sense to me.

Still, I can't help but feel a little sorry when I hear the level of divine retribution some of these witches get dealt.

One case I witnessed was particularly bad. The type of punishment that never gets better, hurting for all eternity, like a curse. An Umbra Witch had the Resting Place that carried her remains shattered into pieces and her soul flung into a rift in time and space, never to be saved again.

Just thinking about what this witch must've done to get dealt a hand like that drives me almost insane with curiosity. I'd kill for the chance to sit down and chat with the Lumen Sages that did it to her.

Yet, judging from the witches I know, you could expel them to the ends of the universe and they'd still find a way back.

Unknown Entrance

Have you ever heard of gates that connect worlds?

It might sound like strange fiction, but the truth is these gates exist all over the world we live in.

The gate that connects the three worlds and makes the foundation of our own is relatively well known, so if you're reading this, I'll just go ahead and assume you know of it; however, there are stories of doors that lead to the secret lairs of the supernatural, and I've got a great source who just gave me the information I need to bring things to light.

I can't reveal who my source is, but according to them, there is a gateway that leads to a primordial world cut off from the flow of time--a place called Muspelheim.

The place is full of demons, angels, witches, and sages, who spend their days pursuing nothing other than battle. This limitless world disregards the wounds and deaths of yesterday, always breathing life into its warriors so that they may live to fight another day.

You know the stories about some guy who just suddenly disappears, is gone for months, then reappears out of thin air, as if nothing ever happened? There's a large probability that guy accidentally stepped into Muspelheim and somehow found his way back.

I know it's the job of a journalist to explore and uncover the truth behind rumors like these, but as far as traveling to other dimensions in a state of endless war, I think I'm good for now.

Fragments of Memory

Strange events sometimes work their way into our everyday lives.

Stories abound: flashbacks from places you have no memory of, a kid who suddenly starts speaking a foreign tongue, or a voice in your head that ends up saving your life... The list goes on and on and on.

These are said to happen when people come in contact with the remnants of memory left in this world by God.

The God of the human realm had special eyes that could see all existence and happenings across the Earth. They could see the fate of whomever they gazed upon--their present, past, and future. Everything.

God loved the human world, and his kind heart began to feel sadness for mankind. He decided to commit to memory every detail of their fleeting lives, almost like you'd take a photo.

He ended up doing it so much that eventually even he forgot about them, and these records were left scattered across the Earth. These are known as the remnants of memory.

They usually can't be seen or felt, but the truth is these memories could be anywhere: you could be standing within God's memories right now.

Sealed Time

Sometimes, you come across something you lost long ago, and it's been untouched, found exactly as it was when lost, almost like ancient towns frozen in time after volcanic eruptions.

Sometimes children even discover these ruins while playing.

When I arrived here, I was circling around the harbor, doing some research, and happened to hear a story from the local fisherman:

There seem to be these large pools of water about the city. These are ruins, containing statues of witches and sages and the God that gave them their powers. They say there was a devastating tsunami that hit the city long ago and cracked its very foundation, causing water to seep in and creating the vista you see today.

I'd be interested in taking a peek at these ruins before they completely crumble away, but I'm not going in the water at this time of year. Freezing cold. That being said, I know a witch who probably wouldn't think twice about dancing her way down into that freezing water though.

I... might come back after it warms up a bit. Make a little vacation out of it. Yep. That's a plan.

Relics

Noatun is full of ruins and strange sculptures, worn down by time.

Most of them have long since fallen to pieces, yet these ruins are still said to have a strange connection with the God of Chaos.

For example, that ramp-looking object in front of the city's church is said to be a hidden path that once led to the god's home.

Or so I was told from some old guy who walked by as I was looking at the ramp. He said those chosen would use it to be able to walk on walls.

Not the most reliable source, but I'll take it. He must've been able to tell I was from out of town seeing how intently I was staring at things.

Maybe this used to be able to control gravity...

If only I knew a descendant of these chosen ones...
I'd love to ask them about it.

Purification Grounds

The brilliant church in central Noatun has aged gracefully, maintaining its beauty as if unfazed by the passage of time.

Its value is not only sentimental; the people living in the city make regular visits to the church for prayer, nuptials, and funerals.

However, word has it that long ago it served yet another purpose.

Pilgrims chosen by God would stop by the church on their way to the sacred peak of Fimbulventr, purifying themselves in the waters that flow through the hallowed grounds.

While the road to the summit is lost, holy water continues to flow, purging the impurities of those who bask in it. After ruining a perfectly good pair of shoes, I'd say my feet are pure enough for one lifetime.

Entry No. 001

-Witch's Recipes-
Found this cleaning up some old journals and documents scattered about in my dad's office.

Actually, note to self: I'm going to be a little proactive and try organizing these things by number. Just came up with that now.

It'll take some time for me to parse everything that's written here, but according to my dad's notes, it seems to be talking about something like alchemy: working materials in different combinations to create something completely different than what you started out with. This particular one seems to be about making some secret potion from the extract of rare crystals and jewels. Has a few pictures with it too.

If somebody would collect the materials here, they might be able to test out if these secret arts work.

Leaders of the Umbra

What's the first thing you think of when you hear the word "witch"? I bet you probably thought of some old grandma flying around on a broom kidnapping children and saving poor little girls with magic.

I've got quite the personal history with witches, so allow me to teach you a thing or two about their kind... and let me tell you, they're nothing like the fairy-tales.

First off, they find the spiritually gifted members of their clan and put them through intense training from a young age. If their latent magical abilities aren't up to snuff, they're pushed aside, even if their bloodline is that of the clan elders.

These candidates polish their entire mental and physical being until they're grown women, and only those who are able to learn the complete repertoire of magic arts can then complete the final step to becoming a witch: a ritual contract with what you and I know as demons.

In exchange for offering their soul to the contracted demon upon their death, witches are entrusted with incredible destructive powers.

Witches with particularly impressive skills have the ability to push the limits of their magical powers and temporarily control their demon as if they were using their own arms and legs.

Witches were said to have been completely killed off in the witch hunts of 500 years ago, but the ones I know are a little too tough, too smart, and too classy to go down that easily.

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 12, 2016

mozman
Nov 3, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

I've never played the 360 version so I don't have anything to compare it to. Plus, I was just looking for any excuse to buy a PS3 anyway.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Loki is the Nordic god of fire and trickery. Don't really see much of either here.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Funny how Glamor totally has the same face as Blade Wolf from MGR.

Mulgar posted:

Seconding this, I'd really like to hear more of what Yoshesque thinks is wrong with this game. Is she going to make an extra video (series?) about the flaws in B2? Also, how's /v/ Style going, mkob? Are you going to submit a Traditional as well?

Yosh disclaimed that she's going point out the game's flaws in her videos every time she felt like, and that's what she's been doing so far. Though having a single video about why some elements of Bayo 2 are subpar and/or improved compared to 1 would be nice to have too at some point (like how they nerfed witch time and how enemies can break out of air combos and that sort of crap). I trust Yosh will cover everything anyway.

Also hi. I did submit a Trad entry but it's really low effort compared to my Freestyle since I really don't have anything else to show about God Hand. I've heard Donguri is going to submit a DMC4 entry to VST6 (he's one of the most respected DMC4 players out there along with Brea and his1nightmare, etc. ) and apparently the best Fairy Bloom Freesia player will attend as well.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
So if I'm reading the enemy descriptions right I think they're suggesting that the Valiance first arrived on earth riding the Chicxulub meteorite that took out the dinosaurs :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The description of Valiance also suggests its sword was eventually picked up by a certain tiny blue man. :allears:

• Locked thread