Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

quote:

Marius followed Lucius's example and selected an instrument of torture from the collection of devices Fabius had laid out. He turned the pear-shaped device around in his hands, twisting a metal cog handle that gradually spread the leaves of the pear apart. Satisfied, he returned it to its original shape and moved down the gurney to place the device between the primarch's legs.

"We come from Terra,' said Marius. 'Is that what you mean?'

Fulgrim smiled indulgently and said, 'No, Marius. Further back than that. As far back as it is possible to go.'

Marius shrugged and worked his device into position with a series of grunts ...

:flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I remember reading that story, but I don't remember the forced sodomy. How was it written?

Poorly

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I call my dick the butchers nail because it drives ladies insane

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Jerkface posted:

I call my dick the butchers nail because it drives ladies insane

with rage

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

From being unsatisfied

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I remember reading that story, but I don't remember the forced sodomy. How was it written?

Graham McNeil, possibly while on cocaine posted:

Fulgrim kicked Marius away and tore loose the opened device the Third Captain had worked upon with a sigh of regret. It fell to the floor of the apothecarion with a wet clatter, and rolled like a viscous flower of red stained iron.

'A pity', said Fulgrim. 'I was beginning to enjoy that.'

This is an actual quote from the book...

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Just started on "The first heretic" and I am loving it. The word bearers have been my favourite legion since I started reading the Horus Heresy series and I really wanted to know about their backstory.

Thousand sons started out really boring but over the course of the book I grew very fond of Magnus. Ironically I think Mortarion had more lines in "Thousand sons" than he did in the entire book dedicated to his legion. And all of it is him being a whiny brat. He is literally the reaper man and carry's a scythe.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Cythereal posted:

Lorgar talks about it, how the Emperor created such powerful weapons in the primarchs that Chaos had to turn them against each other if it was going to do anything to the Imperium. The primarchs were too strong, too powerful to be opposed by anything but themselves and the Emperor.

I was just getting at how their super human powers extend beyond the physical realm, and that if it were purely about brawn they would of died ages ago. There are plenty of beings in 40K that are stronger, more intelligent, etc than a Primarch. That being said, the way I understand it the Emperor essentially infused them with the power to alter fate, something that is normally reserved for the Gods of the Warp.

Think you got the perfect plan to kill the Lion because you have rigged 100 nuclear bombs around his ship? Wrong numb nuts, it isn't that he is immune to nuclear blasts, but some deus ex machina will save his rear end at the last minute, the bombs will malfunction, or someone will find them. Clearly, this is something that happens for characters at all times in books, because having impenetrable plot isn't uncommon, but consider the scene where in the Emperor's laboratory he is infusing the Primarch birthing pods with the raw power of the warp it is the first instance of characters I've seen where it is explicitly implied they were engineered to be that way from the start. When you think about this it kind of explains why the Emperor was so confident in his plans to create the Primarchs from the beginning, or perhaps it was merely a gamble on his part, seeing them as a 50/50 chance to ensure humanity an eternal place in the stars?

I suppose we will just have to wait and see if it comes off as a stroke of genius or idiocy depending on which author is given the honor of giving the Emperor his chance to talk.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zephyrine posted:

Just started on "The first heretic" and I am loving it. The word bearers have been my favourite legion since I started reading the Horus Heresy series and I really wanted to know about their backstory.

Thousand sons started out really boring but over the course of the book I grew very fond of Magnus. Ironically I think Mortarion had more lines in "Thousand sons" than he did in the entire book dedicated to his legion. And all of it is him being a whiny brat. He is literally the reaper man and carry's a scythe.

Mortarion and Magnus both get a good deal more development in Scars. Mortarion's main theme seems to be, in all seriousness, that he keeps making terrible decisions that end up undermining what he had hoped to accomplish. He keeps making mistakes and digging his hole deeper and deeper out of basically good intentions: Mortarion hates the Warp, hates psykers, and hates the Emperor's high-handed hypocrisy and reliance on the Warp. Jaghatai rubs it in his face how Mortarion therefore decided to side with Horus and Lorgar, who are orders of magnitude worse about everything Mortarion hates but were careful not to let Mortarion know about that first. He just doesn't see any way out at this point, gently caress up piled on gently caress up.

Rather apropos for the primarch doomed to fall under the sway of the Chaos god of despair.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Jaghatai rubs it in his face how Mortarion therefore decided to side with Horus and Lorgar, who are orders of magnitude worse about everything Mortarion hates but were careful not to let Mortarion know about that first. He just doesn't see any way out at this point, gently caress up piled on gently caress up.

Pretty much the best part of the entire book. I love it when the loyalists get to do a little smack talk to the traitors considering pretty much everything is set to go their way minus Horus dying.

Everyone hates on Vulkan Lives, but at the end when Vulkan puts Kurze in his place is great, and honestly I'd prefer it to Kurze's stupid batman treatment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Telsa Cola posted:

Also factoring in how GW handled the End times in fantasy and its pretty much guaranteed that they are all alive.

The last time I checked, Warhammer Fantasy was still the eternal stalemate universes build on wargames always are, so I pretty much ignored those "End times". Are you saying something actually happened while I was taking some timeout? Did the Skaven blew up the world or something?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Libluini posted:

The last time I checked, Warhammer Fantasy was still the eternal stalemate universes build on wargames always are, so I pretty much ignored those "End times". Are you saying something actually happened while I was taking some timeout? Did the Skaven blew up the world or something?

They blew up the whole setting as far as I know (I don't pay much attention to Fantasy)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hopterque posted:

They blew up the whole setting as far as I know (I don't pay much attention to Fantasy)

They did. They completely blew up the planet and several races escaped into other planes of reality or just blasted off into space.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
They created a cannon to blow up the moon too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So I just flicked through the elf part of the 1D4chan summary, because I used to play Dark and High at various points and...

It's a pretty :black101: summary, but they had to retcon basically the entire drat backstory to pull off the windup. GW is GW, always :smith:

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Uroboros posted:

Pretty much the best part of the entire book. I love it when the loyalists get to do a little smack talk to the traitors considering pretty much everything is set to go their way minus Horus dying.

Everyone hates on Vulkan Lives, but at the end when Vulkan puts Kurze in his place is great, and honestly I'd prefer it to Kurze's stupid batman treatment.

Vulkan....even batshit crazy and hurt is nothing to gently caress with. At least that book gives a better reason why Vulkan is out of the fight than he disappeared but find his magical Kamidoga hidden across the universe and he'll come back like Captain Planet.

It also implies how incompetent the Angels are. They have Curze on their ship. They know this. And they decide the fact he is loose in the bowels of the ship that its better to pull into orbit above an unknown loyalty faction planet and risk A) unleashing a monster on friendlies or B) giving him a chance to reunite with traitors. They were lucky Vulkan fell from orbit to that planet. Only a psychotic hulk could take Curze down because he didn't care about being hurt. He was already hurt beyond caring anymore.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

EyeRChris posted:

Vulkan....even batshit crazy and hurt is nothing to gently caress with. At least that book gives a better reason why Vulkan is out of the fight than he disappeared but find his magical Kamidoga hidden across the universe and he'll come back like Captain Planet.

It also implies how incompetent the Angels are. They have Curze on their ship. They know this. And they decide the fact he is loose in the bowels of the ship that its better to pull into orbit above an unknown loyalty faction planet and risk A) unleashing a monster on friendlies or B) giving him a chance to reunite with traitors. They were lucky Vulkan fell from orbit to that planet. Only a psychotic hulk could take Curze down because he didn't care about being hurt. He was already hurt beyond caring anymore.

He was also irreparably insane wasn't he?

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

He was also irreparably insane wasn't he?

Insane? Oh yeah.

Irreparably? That's the big question!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
We know it's not irreparable, he canonically talks to Roboute about how dividing the remaining Salamanders into chapters would be the end of them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Uroboros posted:

I was

I suppose we will just have to wait and see if it comes off as a stroke of genius or idiocy depending on which author is given the honor of giving the Emperor his chance to talk.

That would be ADB

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

We know it's not irreparable, he canonically talks to Roboute about how dividing the remaining Salamanders into chapters would be the end of them.

Did he do this after meteoring into the planet surface?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

hopterque posted:

Cythereal posted:

They did. They completely blew up the planet and several races escaped into other planes of reality or just blasted off into space.

Telsa Cola posted:

They created a cannon to blow up the moon too.

Nothing of that turns up anywhere in Google. Nothing on Wikipedia, too. Where did you get this stuff?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Libluini posted:

Nothing of that turns up anywhere in Google. Nothing on Wikipedia, too. Where did you get this stuff?

From the books. The entire world is gone, kaput, the forces of Destruction destroyed everything despite the best efforts of the forces of Order, and even the Chaos gods shrugged and went to go play with other toys. Nothing left but a vague "but maybe NEXT time" ending that hasn't been followed up on but suggests perhaps a new world or something.

The Lizardmen blasted off into space because gently caress being trapped on a dying world. The Skaven, I think, escaped too.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nah the Skaven are dead, possibly joined with the Great Horned Rat. Thanquol got taken out by Archaon off-page like a bitch, which kinda sucked, but the series as a whole is GW smashing their toys together until there is nothing left. And it's all a drat vampire's fault that the good guys lose. Otherwise a fun, if not especially deep, end run.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Now I'm curious, how do they explain away the fact the game is still running? Is every game of Warhammer now set in the past?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

From the books. The entire world is gone, kaput, the forces of Destruction destroyed everything despite the best efforts of the forces of Order, and even the Chaos gods shrugged and went to go play with other toys. Nothing left but a vague "but maybe NEXT time" ending that hasn't been followed up on but suggests perhaps a new world or something.

The Lizardmen blasted off into space because gently caress being trapped on a dying world. The Skaven, I think, escaped too.

Yep, and Karl Franz was reborn as Sigmar. I know there is a lot of panic right now, but I think the ultimate goal will be to do a "3 in 1" package for WFB - Skrimish (Kill Team), Classic, and End Times (Apocalypse style). I believe they're also combining armies - Dark Elves/High Elves/Wood Elves, Armies of Men, Armies of Chaos, VC and Khemri Undead - to reduce the clutter and number of army books.

I know there is a lot of crying now, but I think it's good for the game. I don't think anything is really going to change, other than the fact that you'll have more options in your list.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yep, and Karl Franz was reborn as Sigmar. I know there is a lot of panic right now, but I think the ultimate goal will be to do a "3 in 1" package for WFB - Skrimish (Kill Team), Classic, and End Times (Apocalypse style). I believe they're also combining armies - Dark Elves/High Elves/Wood Elves, Armies of Men, Armies of Chaos, VC and Khemri Undead - to reduce the clutter and number of army books.

I know there is a lot of crying now, but I think it's good for the game. I don't think anything is really going to change, other than the fact that you'll have more options in your list.

If they kill off the Skaven for good, I'll send a nuclear letter bomb to their office, no joke

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Well, they're not going to retire the kits, but I'm wondering if we won't see a reboot of WHFB to be a little bit more Mordheim/40kish; Bigger scale than Warband, but still less than regiment-sized units.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
No way they'll get rid of the Skaven. As one of the truly unique parts of their IP, the Skaven sell too well to get rid of. Thanquol and Boneripper was a pretty successful novel series, too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

No way they'll get rid of the Skaven. As one of the truly unique parts of their IP, the Skaven sell too well to get rid of. Thanquol and Boneripper was a pretty successful novel series, too.

And still, Thanquol gets taken out off-screen by some boring Chaos-scrub.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

VanSandman posted:

They kind of yoinked the concept from a couple of pre-existing places. Basically bolted on the were-rats of Fafhrd and Grey Mouser to the idea of a plain old rat race from Oriental Adventures.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Libluini posted:

Here's the link

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times

Arquinsiel was talking about. Pretty comprehensive.

I'm also calling shenannigans on Thanquol being killed offscreen. In whatever incarnation of WFB Skaven that comes next, I bet he'll still be around as a character. It'll turn out T miraculously escaped again and some other clan rat took the fall.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

Here's the link

I'm also calling shenannigans on Thanquol being killed offscreen. In whatever incarnation of WFB Skaven that comes next, I bet he'll still be around as a character. It'll turn out T miraculously escaped again and some other clan rat took the fall.

Man, this reads like bad fanfiction. GW really hates their customers, apparently. But the Skaven destroyed the moon with a giant cannon, so all is good again. :3:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I wonder what percentage of GW revenue comes from Fantasy versus 40k.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Uroboros posted:

I wonder what percentage of GW revenue comes from Fantasy versus 40k.

Space Marines alone outsell every other game system GW does

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Space Marines alone outsell every other game system GW does

Is that space marines alone or all of the chapters and vanilla marines combined?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Big Willy Style posted:

Is that space marines alone or all of the chapters and vanilla marines combined?

All of the loyalist space marines IIRC. Might have changed, the numbers that's based on are old IIRC

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Here's the link

So, according to this article, the 'good guys' won all the major fan events of Storm of Chaos but GW just ignored it until they finally had gave the win to the Orcs? That does like GW but I've never heard it before.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Monocled Falcon posted:

So, according to this article, the 'good guys' won all the major fan events of Storm of Chaos but GW just ignored it until they finally had gave the win to the Orcs? That does like GW but I've never heard it before.

Wrong way round there. Orcs kept on winning in the face of GW wanting Chaos or Order to win, and they hadn't expected an Orc win, so that's why we got the whole Grimgor Ironhide "master of 'eadbuttin'" ending.

I do also find it impressive that the Skaven managed to so comprehensively gently caress most things up through being Skaven (well, mostly Clan Skyre being envious backstabbers, but what do you expect) that the world was very nearly wiped out by something completely unrelated to the End Times. I would have laughed if it had gone down that way, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Didn't that happen in one of the 40k campaigns as well? I seem to remember there being a giant eldar vs chaos thing that killed a special character, but mostly there being a massive waaagh that brutally trounced every other faction - and eventually GW decided that clearly the orks were on the side of chaos and gave it to chaos despite a lot of the fights being orks beating up chaos.