Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Lars von Trier had a show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mr. Squishy posted:

Lars von Trier had a show?

yes it was called The Kingdom and was pretty good

and then Stephen King got his mitts on the American remake and added Civil War ghosts and serial killers and a plot where a writer painter is incapacitated by a hit and run accident but must recover his muse while investigating spooky goings on

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The Kingdom. It was actually pretty good. Then King made Kingdom Hospital, which was way, way shittier. Lars sent them some scripts that he wrote for The Kingdom after five of the main cast members being dead kind of made another season impossible, which may or may not have been used on KH.

e:f;b

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tree Goat posted:

yes it was called The Kingdom and was pretty good

and then Stephen King got his mitts on the American remake and added Civil War ghosts and serial killers and a plot where a writer painter is incapacitated by a hit and run accident but must recover his muse while investigating spooky goings on

How many wise old black women did he add

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tree Goat posted:

a plot where a writer painter is incapacitated by a hit and run accident but must recover his muse while investigating spooky goings on

Hahaha how did I forget this part?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How many wise old black women did he add

the wise old woman was a) white and b) in the source material

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
"A significant difference in the American series was the introduction of the character of a talking giant anteater in the role of spirit guide/death/Anubis/Antubis."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Effectronica posted:

"A significant difference in the American series was the introduction of the character of a talking giant anteater in the role of spirit guide/death/Anubis/Antubis."

To be fair that part would not have been out of place in the original show

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

How am I supposed to be superior about good literature when this thread is so terrible?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading Pantagruel by Rabelais in between bits of Infinite Jest and it (Pantagruel) is far better and funnier than Infinite Jest which has had some good bits lately, to be fair.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

I'm reading Pantagruel by Rabelais in between bits of Infinite Jest and it (Pantagruel) is far better and funnier than Infinite Jest which has had some good bits lately, to be fair.

Been doing the same but using Knausgaard's My Struggle as an interlude; it's really quite enjoyable despite the mundane subject matter.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I picked a book to read. You'll see what it is in May

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I know we make a lot of jokes about the pre-teen gangbang in the sewers but it really is worth repeatedly revisiting the fact that King wrote about a pre-teen gangbang in the sewers

Smoking Crow posted:

I picked a book to read. You'll see what it is in May

Was it Grettir's? I love Grettir's. I'd start an Icelandic Saga thread if I thought enough people gave a poo poo.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

End Of Worlds posted:

I know we make a lot of jokes about the pre-teen gangbang in the sewers but it really is worth repeatedly revisiting the fact that King wrote about a pre-teen gangbang in the sewers

Was it Grettir's? I love Grettir's. I'd start an Icelandic Saga thread if I thought enough people gave a poo poo.

you'll see

give it time

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

i'll reread Don Quixote for the fifth time before i open another page of Rabelais . maybe it would be better if i read a page a month

i'm sure it's better than Infinte Jest tho

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Why don't you like it? I'm finding it pretty easy to read, and its got really good jokes for a book written in 1532.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

End Of Worlds posted:

It'd just get hijacked by North Malden.
sparemethelynchmob

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

Why don't you like it? I'm finding it pretty easy to read, and its got really good jokes for a book written in 1532.

I couldn't see the book through all the fart jokes, fart related names and 16th church minutiae seen thru a farting rear end that had me constantly looking at the endnotes (there were no footnotes in my edition). some of the jokes were good, but they're always followed by a 5 page long gag about some bishop who drank too much with an endnote of the same length

but i have low tolerance for medieval/renaissance lit anyway, even for Dante's Inferno, don quixote being the exception. maybe cause Cervantes didn't write to destroy his opponents.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

End Of Worlds posted:

Egil's Saga is Best Saga

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Also, among all the prize lists being published, the shortlist Man Booker International is surprisingly interesting (this is the 'international' prize that has had 5 awards 4 of which had gone to an English speaking/writing author):

César Aira (Argentina)
Hoda Barakat (Lebanon)
Maryse Condé (Guadeloupe)
Mia Couto (Mozambique)
Amitav Ghosh (India)
Fanny Howe (United States of America)
Ibrahim al-Koni (Libya)
László Krasznahorkai (Hungary)
Alain Mabanckou (Republic of Congo)
Marlene van Niekerk (South Africa)

I have Aira, Couto and Ghosh in my to be read pile. Along with Krasznahorkai they're obv. the big names, but what about the others? Most of them would probably be hard to find even on ebay, but should I try to look for them? The previous shortlists were mostly good even if they included Pullman and le Carre in an attempt to stand out and look hip I guess.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

I'm reading Pantagruel by Rabelais

I take it you enjoyed Tristram Shandy?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

don quixote being the exception. maybe cause Cervantes didn't write to destroy his opponents.

Its weird how post-modern book 2 of Don Quixote is. Everyone talks about him fighting windmills and poo poo but that is the first 100 pages. Halfway through the whole thing becomes a meditation on narrative and legacy and no one ever talks about that part.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Thanks for reminding me that I really need to read Satantango. Heard some good things.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

J_RBG posted:

I take it you enjoyed Tristram Shandy?

It's my favourite novel from this dumbass island.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its weird how post-modern book 2 of Don Quixote is. Everyone talks about him fighting windmills and poo poo but that is the first 100 pages. Halfway through the whole thing becomes a meditation on narrative and legacy and no one ever talks about that part.

Yea, book 2 is my favourite, too. But I reread the first one last year and it's interesting how all the seemingly unconnected encounters are about people who pretend to be somebody else and in the process become this other - at least for themselves. At first it seems that this transformation is incomplete, because everybody else sees them as mad, but in the end there is a subtle realisation that there's some grace in their obsessions and pretense - don Quixote's included - definitely more than they normally come across in their everyday lives.

Book 2 continues this point but does it more elegantly, I think, but I will reread it this year - maybe finally checking out the Grossman's translation.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

It's my favourite novel from this dumbass island.

Yaaassss excellent. Read Sentimental Journey when you can, it's a different beast but really good.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
What would you guys recommend for someone who just finished (and loved) Dos Passos' The 42nd Parallel? I'm reading Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans while I'm waiting for the next book to show up in the mail, but not really feeling it.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Popular Human posted:

What would you guys recommend for someone who just finished (and loved) Dos Passos' The 42nd Parallel? I'm reading Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans while I'm waiting for the next book to show up in the mail, but not really feeling it.

When you say 'waiting for the next book to show up in the mail' do you mean the next book of the USA trilogy? If not, you should uhh definitely read that, because it's good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This thread loves hating on Infinite Jest.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

david crosby posted:

When you say 'waiting for the next book to show up in the mail' do you mean the next book of the USA trilogy? If not, you should uhh definitely read that, because it's good.

Yeah, the next book of the trilogy. Is anything else like it? I love the way it uses collages of news clippings, stream-of-consciousness rants and multiple, shifting POVs to paint this big kaleidoscopic bird's eye view of American society at the beginning of the 20th century.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 8, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

This thread loves hating on Infinite Jest.

I think it's more of a reactionary response to the fans of the book than the book itself imho

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Popular Human posted:

Yeah, the next book of the trilogy. Is anything else like it? I love the way it uses collages of news clippings, stream-of-consciousness rants and multiple, shifting POVs to paint this big kaleidoscopic bird's eye view of American society at the beginning of the 20th century.

There's nothing like it that I know of. I think by the time you read all three, you'll have gotten the last drop outta that particular well though. It's a masterpiece, but when you're done, you're satisfied.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Popular Human posted:

Style wise it's different but if you like interesting kaleidoscopic visions of turn of century America, Ragtime by EL Docotorow is good

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think it's more of a reactionary response to the fans of the book than the book itself imho

I honestly don't like it! I'm half way through now and I find it for the most part a huge turgid pseudo encyclopedia, which occasionally hits on some really interesting stuff for about 5 pages, before going back to being a mess. I don't feel one way or another about people that like it generally, just that they seem to be finding something in this book that I think is conspicuously not there.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

I honestly don't like it! I'm half way through now and I find it for the most part a huge turgid pseudo encyclopedia, which occasionally hits on some really interesting stuff for about 5 pages, before going back to being a mess. I don't feel one way or another about people that like it generally, just that they seem to be finding something in this book that I think is conspicuously not there.

are you just not a fan of tennis

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I just can't feel sympathy for alcoholics, for substance addiction is a fundamental weakness of the soul.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't know, CestMoi asked people why they liked it and a few people gave a lukewarm response. Not seeing a ton of rabid fans, especially in this thread.

I am a fan and found it funny and good both times I read it, although admittedly the first time I wasn't very well read and was just in awe. The second time I noticed a lot more flaws (both the "Wardine be cry" and the list of things you find out at rehab parts are painfully embarrassing) but I had also read most of Wallace's other stuff by this point so I had a better idea of where he was coming from which may have helped?? Or I might still just have bad taste.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I read a doctorow book once and now my name is w1n5t0n

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

It's definitely fair to say it's a book of sections rather than a cohesive narrative whole. It strikes me as a little similar to Moby Dick in that way. When I reflect on it, I definitely find myself driven more affectionately to moments in the novel more than the novel itself. Honestly, if you are not feeling it, feel free to give up. If you are annoyed halfway through, you are gonna be furious when you find out the book has no ending and the introduction is never actually resolved.

I do think it's become sort of the literary bible of the urban twenty something though and that's kind of obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I read a doctorow book once and now my name is w1n5t0n

EL Doctorow not Cory Doctorow