Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I have a Stingray on my 40B and I love it. It's super low-profile, comes with a few different mounting options (rimless, rimmed, canopy) and the red/blue LEDs really make the tank look great. I don't have any plants in that tank currently but I do know that the Stingray has about half the PAR of the Planted+. It should be fine for a low-tech tank, and worst case you could return it to Amazon if your plants start suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I'm kind of new to fishkeeping. My red wag platy gave birth and now I have like 8 babies swimming around my tank. They're growing fast and I don't know what to do with them. I only have a 29 gallon tank so they all can't survive in there. Will petco buy them, or at least take them off my hands. I don't want to have to flush them down the toilet.

[EDIT] Also, is there an SA arachnid thread? I just bought a tarantula and I want to share my experience with other arachnid loving folk.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 9, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SweetKarma posted:

[EDIT] Also, is there an SA arachnid thread? I just bought a tarantula and I want to share my experience with other arachnid loving folk.
Look for the thread title that's all screaming. You'll know it when you see it.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

Look for the thread title that's all screaming. You'll know it when you see it.

Aww, come on. Most arachnids are absolutely harmless. Just don't go poking your fingers where they don't belong. :devil:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
No, really, that's the thread title. Enjoy your new "puppy."

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Mocking Bird posted:

No, really, that's the thread title. Enjoy your new "puppy."

Um, okay...?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SweetKarma posted:

Aww, come on. Most arachnids are absolutely harmless. Just don't go poking your fingers where they don't belong. :devil:
You think we are joking, but we are not!

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

You think we are joking, but we are not!

Haha, okay, I was a little confused.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

One of the bulbs on my tank light went out so now seems as good a time as any to ask about new lights. I'm using fluorescent lighting now but I hear LED is better? Any opinions one way or the other?

What is the best way to get brown algae off the rocks in my tank? I'm debating getting a colander and rinsing them thoroughly but I don't know if that will really work or not.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Len posted:

One of the bulbs on my tank light went out so now seems as good a time as any to ask about new lights. I'm using fluorescent lighting now but I hear LED is better? Any opinions one way or the other?

What is the best way to get brown algae off the rocks in my tank? I'm debating getting a colander and rinsing them thoroughly but I don't know if that will really work or not.

LEDs rock so get yourself a Finnex FugeRay Planted+ and go to town.

Also, for the algae, use a toothbrush and some running water.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

It looks like they're about to release a programmable version that will simulate sunset like some of the nicer ones do as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Desert Bus posted:

I only have a 10 gallon and it's at work so $70 is a bit pricey for my needs. Is there a cheaper one?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Len posted:

I only have a 10 gallon and it's at work so $70 is a bit pricey for my needs. Is there a cheaper one?

You can get the finnex stingray, its not high light but it might work depending on your plants. Its also half the price of the planted+.

r0ck0 posted:

I decided to upgrade the light on my fluval spec V to the finnex stingray:
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Stingray-Aquarium-Light-16-Inch/dp/B00NAFQ97A

I want low light but more than what I currently have. Anyone have this light and how do they like it?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I want an eel :( are they hard to care for?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Xun posted:

I prefer the electric eels as they will power the filter and lights for the tank. You just drop the power strip into the tank with the eel and free electricity!

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Dude get a freshwater eel look up Peacock eels!

They 're so personable almost as much as Oscars. They're not true eels but they are amazing and if you get lucky and get a friendly one they are the most amazing pets ever! I'm actually cycling a tank right now that will have a ton of plants, a giant colony of red cherry shrimp, and a Peacock eel!

Mr Scribbles my late Peacock eel whom I loved was killed in cold blood by a little flock of adolescent convicts.

I literally hand fed him and when I walked in the room he'd get all excited. When I put my hand in the tank he'd come swim through my fingers and play with me. I've had aquariums since I was 10 years old, and I have never cried from a fish dying.

But drat when I woke up and saw Mr Scribbles cut in half just laying there my heart was broken. I cried for days because of that little eel. It may be hosed up but I took vengeance on those convicts and threw them in my pond out of anger. gently caress them they killed my friend

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Xun posted:

If you've got the money and actually give a poo poo then you can absolutely do a freshwater eel in a beginner setup.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Xun posted:

My Zig0-Zag Eel greatly preferred live food and frozen food, but I got it pellet trained after like 3 months. They like a fine/sandy substrate they can burrow in, and they are MASTER escape artists. For FW you're usually gonna find just the spiny eels like Fire, Tiretrack, Zig-Zag, Peacock, etc. If you hit up enough bait shops you MIGHT find an American FW Swamp Eel, which will behave the same.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm worried about getting one if I'm starting my first tank. The fish shop had peacock eels and zig zags but the zig zags looked kinda square? Not like the ones I found on Google image search. Is it just a weird variety?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I like watching the new mother shrimp juggling her eggs, she gets pretty rough with them but hasn't dropped any yet.
Jiggle Eggs

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Got the finnex stingray, wow so much better than the stock fluval spec V light. I actually like the way it sits on top better than the original light.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Looking to move the puffer back up the brackish spectrum sometime soon and I'm hoping to keep it planted as long as possible on the way to Marine.

Any tips for plants? I've pretty much read that all val/anubias/crypts and some swords will work well.

How much do I need to ramp up the lighting when adding salt?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have the dumb and when I went to the store to look at lighting yesterday I noticed I hadn't been buying fluorescent bulbs at all but incandescent. My tank now looks a lot better although the brown algae is much more noticeable. But google tells me better lighting might kill it so that might balance out.

Then:

Now:

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
So, I've just started up my 10-gallon about 8 weeks ago, and it looks like I've got some (pond?) snails scooting around. About half-a-dozen currently. Given the thread's title, how worried should I be about this? And after I worry, what should I do next?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Inevitable posted:

So, I've just started up my 10-gallon about 8 weeks ago, and it looks like I've got some (pond?) snails scooting around. About half-a-dozen currently. Given the thread's title, how worried should I be about this? And after I worry, what should I do next?

I'm in the same position. I have a 75gal that just finished cycling. I was planning on adding Zebra Loaches anyways, that should probably keep them in check. Would a crew of 4 loaches play well with maybe 6 bronze cories? I want to give them all space to thrive.

edit: I haven't added any fish yet, I thought those might make nice first additions and get them settled before adding more. I don't really mind the snails in there (they're wonderful at cleaning) but I just want to keep the population in check.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 11, 2015

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

denimgorilla posted:

I'm in the same position. I have a 75gal that just finished cycling. I was planning on adding Zebra Loaches anyways, that should probably keep them in check. Would a crew of 4 loaches play well with maybe 6 bronze cories? I want to give them all space to thrive.

edit: I haven't added any fish yet, I thought those might make nice first additions and get them settled before adding more.

I've got 3 black tetras, 3 cories and a dwarf gourami, so I don't think I can add any more fish. Even if they are of the snail-eating variety. I'm considering :black101:assassin snails:black101:, but what happens after they run out of scum snails to eat?

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Inevitable posted:

I've got 3 black tetras, 3 cories and a dwarf gourami, so I don't think I can add any more fish. Even if they are of the snail-eating variety. I'm considering :black101:assassin snails:black101:, but what happens after they run out of scum snails to eat?

With pond snails, chances are they'll never run out. I do believe assassin snails will happily survive on fish food in the absence of "traditional" prey, though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

kaosAG posted:

With pond snails, chances are they'll never run out. I do believe assassin snails will happily survive on fish food in the absence of "traditional" prey, though.
They definitely will. I have had assassins live and breed long after they had wiped out my pest snail infestation.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The largest and reddest (so I'm assuming female...) of my red cherry shrimp keeps frantically kicking her back legs and arching her back. It's been a couple of days now and the internet suggests eggs, but she certainly doesn't look like she is carrying any - to my untrained eye at least. I think she moulted a couple of days ago, based on the size of the moult I spotted on the floor of the tank. Any ideas what might be going on? None of the other shrimp are acting any differently.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Bollock Monkey posted:

The largest and reddest (so I'm assuming female...) of my red cherry shrimp keeps frantically kicking her back legs and arching her back. It's been a couple of days now and the internet suggests eggs, but she certainly doesn't look like she is carrying any - to my untrained eye at least. I think she moulted a couple of days ago, based on the size of the moult I spotted on the floor of the tank. Any ideas what might be going on? None of the other shrimp are acting any differently.

She wants you, man. Go for it!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

rockcity posted:

It looks like they're about to release a programmable version that will simulate sunset like some of the nicer ones do as well.

Yeah! I'm looking at this :
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plante...keywords=finnex

It's actually a little cheaper than the Fugeray of the same size and will ship at approximately the same time anyways. The 36" should be good for my tall 75 gal. planted tank, right? My tank is 40" wide and 28" tall.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 13, 2015

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Inevitable posted:

She wants you, man. Go for it!

drat, a gay shrimp is sure gonna gently caress up my idea of getting a colony started...

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

denimgorilla posted:

Yeah! I'm looking at this :
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plante...keywords=finnex

It's actually a little cheaper than the Fugeray of the same size and will ship at approximately the same time anyways. The 36" should be good for my tall 75 gal. planted tank, right? My tank is 40" wide and 28" tall.

It looks awesome. Here is a really good review of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJsYweqNtig

I'm not quite sure it has the level of brightness that I need so I think I might supplement it with the fluorescent that I'm using now for like 4 hours in the middle of the day.

Edit: Actually it looks like people say you want 50 PAR or higher and this hits 60 in an 16" tall tank and my new one is 18" so it's probably close.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 13, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why do ghost shrimp turn pink when they die?

Why don't mine want to stay alive?

What's another fun thing I could put in this tank to look pretty that won't die so easy?

Current population of my 10 gallon tank:

8 adult guppies, three baby guppies, a tiny catfish, and seven ghost shrimp (two died over the course of the day so who knows what that number will be tomorrow.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Len posted:

What's another fun thing I could put in this tank to look pretty that won't die so easy?

8 adult guppies, three baby guppies, a tiny catfish, and seven ghost shrimp (two died over the course of the day so who knows what that number will be tomorrow.

Len posted:

Just went looking for the ghost shrimp I bought last week. What uh...what are water parameters for them? I found three of the eight dead and couldn't find one ): I feel like I'm the worst fish tank owner.

r0ck0 posted:

They are feeder animals, not the best raised or cared for shrimp in the trade. They are hardy tho, they can do fine in just about any water hardness, pH, or temp given that they are properly acclimated. They often die for reasons beyond your control in the upstream supply handling.

You could probably get red cherry shrimp, they are farily hardy and are bred to be ornamental instead of feeders so should live longer. What are your currently water parameters: temp, GH/KH, pH, nitrate, water change schedule, tank filters, feedings?

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Len posted:

Also having this problem. Also, I kind of regret getting ghost shrimp because they're straight up invisible most of the time.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Inevitable posted:

Buy a figure 8 or some pea puffers. Problem will resolve itself.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Buy a figure 8 or some pea puffers. Problem will resolve itself.

A 10g is below adequate for even a single Figure Eight, plus he probably doesn't want to mess with brackish just to get rid of some snails.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Shrimp don't handle well ammonia, chlorine/chloramine, copper, fish medications, stress from being around fish with not enough hiding places, pH crashes, nitro spikes from over feeding or uncycled "new" tanks, too hot or too cold, new plants that have fertiliser or pesticide residue on them, being bitten but not killed by fishy tank mates, water chemistry that makes their shells too hard so that they can't moult, etc. If you have shrimp in with guppies, the guppies are fairly hardy and won't clue you in that something is going wrong with your water chemistry (and it is possible they are harassing your shrimp even if they aren't outright eating them). A guppy won't care if you put tap water and water conditioner directly in the tank during a water change but I don't think this would do your shrimp much good. However aside from all that not much is widely known about shrimp diseases. They can definitely get viral and bacterial infections which like fish, are made worse by poor water conditions or stress. They can carry a disease for a long time before dying and could have picked it up along the way before sale. A dead shrimp changes colour as its tissues break down much like when you cook a shrimp, but a sick shrimp can show discolouration too.

I had a red cherry shrimp die the other day after having been a milky colour for quite a long time, and I'm hoping it isn't a contagious disease. I've already split my shrimp between two tanks hoping if something goes wrong in one I'll still have the other and be able to avoid a total shrimpocalypse. I have heard of shrimp recovering from being milky so I will just have to wait and see what happens and whether other shrimp show any signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On the plus side, when it is good, the numbers explode. I started out with 6 shrimp and I sold bags of 5 dozen at my tank's height. and didnt put a dent in my numbers.

That was ended by a combination of co2 slowing them down, which let the chain loaches I added catch and eat them, and they got too inbred to reproduce anymore :banjo: