Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
After building an HGUC Rick Dom II (good kit btw), I am really, really craving the MG Rick Dom, but it seems Bandai hasn't made the goddamn thing in years. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, the Rick Dom II is the best-looking Dom type and I desperately want a new MG of it. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 17, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have both an MG Dom and MG Rick Dom, make me an offer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Honest Ray posted:

Whats so bad about the MG Kaempfer? I just picked it, Qubeley, and Sazabi up in the MG line since they are three of my favorite suits. Uh oh...

I like mine, but I'd intended to paint it from the outset (painting is fun) so I didn't notice the color issues. The articulation's pretty limited but overall not too bad, and most of the seam lines are pretty well hidden. It's good, I expect it's just not highly regarded because other, newer kits are better.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
So, my thing over the last couple weeks has been the HGUC V Gundam which I expected not to like very much but is in fact pretty loving great.

Here it is next to the 1993 original:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've done it motherfuckers; I've made my first order over in over 10 years. I picked up the following, all in HGUC:

*OG GM

*GM Quel

*Black-Tri Stars High Mobility Zaku II

*Zaku I

*Zogok

I was originally going to pick up the Blue Destiny Unit 1, but Banzai Hobby was out, so I picked up a Zogok instead. I think I made the better choice.

Once sites start getting the MG Zaku 2.0 and Gelgoog 2.0 back in, those are next, along with an HGUC Black Tri-Stars Zaku I and Hi-Mock.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

There's a dual action airbrush going for $25 on Amazon at the moment.

Reviews are mixed, so quality control is probably a big issue. But drat, $25 is cheap enough to be worth the risk.

I used a variant of that airbrush and it's a fine start. They also sell a cheapo little compressor/airbrush combo set on Ebay for around $50. It's basically an Iwata clone.

For $50 it's a great start to get into airbrushing. You learn a lot about the care and feeding of the brush, and why that cheap compressor is as cheap as it is.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bimmi posted:

So, my thing over the last couple weeks has been the HGUC V Gundam which I expected not to like very much but is in fact pretty loving great.

Here it is next to the 1993 original:

I like the legs of the original more...

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

muike posted:

I like the legs of the original more...

That was absolutely my biggest bitch about this one, and the MG too, but in three dimensions it totally works somehow.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
apparently they just announced a P-Bandai MG Geara-doga Full Frontal Custom. It's basically a just Char colored Geara Doga with some sleeves cuffs. But look at the gun!

I'm sure this is wishful thinking, but that's one step closer to the Master Grade Geara Zulu.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

:captainpop:

P-Bandai, is that the online exclusive thing...? And MGs are pretty pricey... and I don't really like Char's custom colors... really

Not like the Geara Doga is a great drat suit or anything

Self-Control :negative:

(A little surprised he's not getting a Custom Jagd Doga)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
MGs are super cheap for their quality and complexity, though. The real issue is this is a P-Bandai exclusive which means it'll be impossible to pick up at retail price. They end up on the web at several times their original price, like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Counterattack-Schnyder/dp/B00FN1PQ28/ (four times the retail price which is a shame because I'd be all over it otherwise, I like the Schnyder colours much more than I like the default MG Geara Doga ones).

e; there's no MG Victory 2 or non-Katoki Victory, is there?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 17, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

:captainpop:

P-Bandai, is that the online exclusive thing...? And MGs are pretty pricey... and I don't really like Char's custom colors... really

Not like the Geara Doga is a great drat suit or anything

Self-Control :negative:

(A little surprised he's not getting a Custom Jagd Doga)

He actually used that Geara Zulu in a game for the ps3.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I remember seeing a Full Frontal custom HG Geara Doga which I think just had like the Dreissen cuffs but was otherwise the same as that. It was cool.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Why do they call themselves the Sleeves when all the ornamentation is on the cuffs?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bimmi posted:

Why do they call themselves the Sleeves when all the ornamentation is on the cuffs?

I just find it ironic that the remnants of Neo Zeon call themselves Sleeves, when, what did Char QUATTRO BAJEENA lack through all of Zeta? :v:

(e): My bad.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 17, 2015

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I just find it ironic that the remnants of Neo Zeon call themselves Sleeves, when, what did Char lack through all of Zeta? :v:

I don't recall Char being in Zeta.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They are the sleeves for carrying the well toned arms of their savior to their divine purpose.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; there's no MG Victory 2 or non-Katoki Victory, is there?

There will probably never be a non vKa Victory, unless Bandai decides to ditch making MGs transform anyway. Basically all of the design changes are just "wait how do I make this insane transformation physically possible". RD Victory is a pretty good example of what they could actually push out if they didn't care so much. And wow, I never thought I'd imply caring too much was bad.

Supposedly they're holding off on V2 until they have the tech to more accurately capture its design while still incorporating its transformation, but we'll see how that goes. It'd be pretty great if they do it right, and then even the MG V2 ends up smaller than its corresponding Victory. :v:

Bimmi posted:

I think it's because the japanese word for sleeve is more general than the english word? It's like how Whitebeard in One Piece actually just has a mustache.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
The problem is you're questioning the Engrish of a series whose main antagonist is named Full Frontal because the author was thinking "Frontal Assault" as opposed to "Full Frontal Nudity."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

The problem is you're questioning the Engrish of a series whose main antagonist is named Full Frontal because the author was thinking "Frontal Assault" as opposed to "Full Frontal Nudity."

Man I know they'd never do it, but seriously, I wish Bandai would go "gently caress it" and not have the v2 transform. Just make it stable as hell and include the assault buster. It'd be better than some fiddly transforming piece of crap.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The last time Bandai made a fully transformable V2, it looked like this:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

There will probably never be a non vKa Victory

Blehr. I like Katoki's redesigns a lot of the time, but there are some designs (nu Gundam and Victory chief among them) where all the greebles and billion decals really take away from what makes the design look good. :(

Bimmi posted:

The last time Bandai made a fully transformable V2, it looked like this:

That... looks pretty good?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's good-ish for 1993.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Man I know they'd never do it, but seriously, I wish Bandai would go "gently caress it" and not have the v2 transform. Just make it stable as hell and include the assault buster. It'd be better than some fiddly transforming piece of crap.

Someday they're going to realize no-one cares about Zeta's Waverider mode, so we'll finally get a stable Zeta gunpla.

:smith:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, first attempt at resin painting is a resounding failure. I painted all the clear bits first, and it went fine, so I thought I could just do the same for the brown pieces.

Not. loving. Happening.

It wouldn't take the paint, and was splotchy, bubbly, and all sorts of hosed up. Copious use of solvents and sanding later, It's back to (mostly) normal, and I think I should probably stop for tonight and pick up some primer in the morning because this definitely isn't working as-is.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Someday they're going to realize no-one cares about Zeta's Waverider mode, so we'll finally get a stable Zeta gunpla.

I'm tellin' y'all, this already exists:

I've never even tightened the joints on this motherfucker.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 17, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Not. loving. Happening.

Yeah, that's why you have to dunk resin pieces in some kind of cleaner first; there's this weird gunk on them. People usually use Simple Green.

Also the 1/60 V2 looks really great transformed. It just looks like poo poo as a MS.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah, that's why you have to dunk resin pieces in some kind of cleaner first; there's this weird gunk on them. People usually use Simple Green.

Soaked in warm water + soap will usually be sufficient to remove the release agent from resin in my experience.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Here's the 1/144 Tomliat (1993) alongside the new thang:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I am jonesing hard for G-Reco kits. Opinions on those already released by those who've given them a go? I was thinking of starting off with a Montero and Elf Bullock, but since I basically want them all (although I'll hold back on the G-Self until the Perfect Pack shows up, and am hoping for a G-Arcane Full Dress), I'd appreciate info on whatever people have.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Grimoire is a fantastic kit.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Grimoire is a fantastic kit.

I was surprised by how few runners and parts there are vs. how nice the Grimoire looks. I'm going to paint mine this Monday.

Also got started on the RX-78 7-11 gold injected color kit and while I knew it would look gawdy (reason I wanted it), the ugliest thing about it is where the nubs are removed. Even if you cut high then file and sand there are always slightly discolored marks left behind, and I was really hoping to avoid having to dab paint on it because I don't think the color will match well. Oh well.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'd get the Grimoire, but the Hi-Mock is cheaper and seems to be just as impressive as the Grimoire is. I'll probably pick it up sometime down the line.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I am jonesing hard for G-Reco kits. Opinions on those already released by those who've given them a go? I was thinking of starting off with a Montero and Elf Bullock, but since I basically want them all (although I'll hold back on the G-Self until the Perfect Pack shows up, and am hoping for a G-Arcane Full Dress), I'd appreciate info on whatever people have.

The Grimoire is great, and the Jahannam looks nice but it's slightly less poseable and endearing since it's not the Grimoire.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Darth Walrus posted:

I have the Gaeon and it's kind of disappointing. It feels like the engineering has taken a step back- instead of the waist joint being a Ball like it is on practically all HGUC suits, they're replaced it with a thick, non-polycapped column joint, which basically makes it impossible to rotate at the waist.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The Mack Knife is a great little kit. It comes with a basic stand too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I tried the soap and warm water method, soaked for a couple hours and it didn't work for me, so what's the usual way about using Simple Green? Just use it straight out of the bottle, or dilute it a bit?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Either will work I suppose. The main thing is that you want to dunk it in there for a while; the guy who got me into resin recommended doing it overnight.

After it's done soaking, you need to rinse the piece off with warm, soapy water and a toothbrush anyway. It's a pain, but that's resin for you. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I tried the soap and warm water method, soaked for a couple hours and it didn't work for me, so what's the usual way about using Simple Green? Just use it straight out of the bottle, or dilute it a bit?

Some folks I know in the resin crowd recommend Purple Power or a similar degreaser. Simple Green can be used straight out off the bottle. Not sure about Purple Power. Both need washed off with warm soapy water when you're done, followed by just water to make sure you get the soap residue off, too.

Resin is a bitch. There's a decent chance you'll go through multiple iterations of sanding and priming, too, along with filling any bubble or surface defects you find, which the primer really helps you see. It can look drat good when you're done, though.