Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

LabiaBadgerTickler posted:

That's awesome thank you.

Do you know of any good, free, resume review sites or places?

Well, feel free to post your resume here, and the goons will give you (mostly) useful, constructive criticism. There's also the Resume to Interviews SAMart goon service, which many people have praised. I don't know of any Canadian specific ones, but job hunting here is pretty much the same as job hunting in the US, without fretting so much about healthcare benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Edit OK it must be good enough!

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 18, 2015

LabiaBadgerTickler
Feb 12, 2014

by Ralp
This is a first run through of my CV to find work in Canada. It's different to how I usually do it in the UK and I was hoping you guys could give it the once over?

So far it's just the content I want to put in it and Ive omitted my currently employer just in case.

quote:

Profile:
I am a software engineer with 3 years professional experience working for a wide collection of clients to develop custom pieces of interactive software from augmented reality toys and games, to bespoke demos showcasing new technologies. I am a quick learner and enjoy tackling new and exciting challenges.

Professional Experience:
Junior Developer / Support Analyst
Leaving current employer name off this Mar 2015- Present
Creating testing frameworks for new versions of the company products
Providing bug fixes and assistance to clients having issues with company products
Helping the implementation team with any issues they may be having remotely
Implementing any new updates for upcoming product releases

Skills and technologies used:
C#
MySQL
Microsoft Team Foundation Server
Entity Framework
XML

Web Developer
The Zen Agency - Glasgow, Scotland Jan 2015 - Mar 2015
Creating bespoke websites for client to agreed time scales
Providing point of contact for any bugs and issues clients may have with their websites
Implementing the front end work created by the design team
Teaching clients how to use their new website
Writing documentation

C#
ASP.net
MySQL
HTML5
Bootstrap
Umbraco

Freelance Software Engineer
Ninetails Development - Glasgow, Scotland 2013 - 2014
Creating bespoke interactive applications for clients with the Unity3D engine.
Developed strong augmented reality development skills
Developed applications for the Oculus Rift
Strong focus on iOS devices for publishing applications
Developing custom shaders and plug ins as required
Demonstrating each application to their respective client
Leading research teams

Unity3D
C#
NGUI
Vuforia
Github
iOS
Objective C

Software Engineer / Dome Experience Designer
Holovis - Lutterworth, England 2012 - 2013
Developed a way to get the Unity3D game engine to run in CAVEs and Domes
Developed interactive presentation software
In charge of developing and creating unique interactive experiences for Domes and CAVEs using the software we developed
Leading demonstrations of the software that was developed in house.

Unity3D
C#
C++
Winforms

Personal Achievements
Taffy’s Sweet Chocolate Dreams
Nominated for best art - Scottish Game Jam 2012
Second place overall - IGDA Glasgow February meeting 2012
Taffy was developed in 48 hours over one week as part of the Global Game Jam event based on the Celtic symbol of Ouroboros .

Unending Wave
Eighth place overall - Scottish Game Jam 2011
Unending Wave was developed in 48 hours over one week as part of the Global Game Jam event based on theme of extinction.

Hardcore Sinkopation
Second place overall - Scottish Game Jam 2010
Hardcore Sinkopation was developed in 48 hours over one week as part of the Global Game Jam event based on theme of Deception and the constraints that it must contain a rink, a sink or a wink.

Education
Glasgow Caledonian University: Glasgow, Scotland. 2009 - 2012
UK Grade: 2:1 Canadian GPA: 3.6
Bsc(Hons) Software Engineering (Computer Game Development)

My course covered the following topics:

Artificial Intelligence for computer games. iOS Game Development
Mathematics for Computer Games. 3D Computer Graphics
Android Development. Game Design.
Object Orientated Programming.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Stop using the word 'bespoke' so much, most people won't know what it means here. Just use 'custom' or 'customized'.

Are you focused on getting a job in game development, or are you transitioning to web development? Also, you're going to have to have a good story for the last 2 jobs, and why you aren't going to just quit again in three months. Not saying you don't have good reasons, but be prepared to explain them, without tarring your previous employers. You'll also want to have a good story for the recent switch away from games development.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Who doesn't know what bespoke means?

LabiaBadgerTickler
Feb 12, 2014

by Ralp

Skandranon posted:

Stop using the word 'bespoke' so much, most people won't know what it means here. Just use 'custom' or 'customized'.

Are you focused on getting a job in game development, or are you transitioning to web development? Also, you're going to have to have a good story for the last 2 jobs, and why you aren't going to just quit again in three months. Not saying you don't have good reasons, but be prepared to explain them, without tarring your previous employers. You'll also want to have a good story for the recent switch away from games development.

Thanks for that.

I'm still employed at my current place and I don't plan on leaving the job because of them. I'm just looking to move over to Canada and start a new life. And i've never actually worked in games. I'm not sure if that's something I'm interested in anymore.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

fritz posted:

Who doesn't know what bespoke means?

I can't speak for all of North America, but I've never heard it used, only read it, and had to look it up to be sure I remembered it correctly.

LabiaBadgerTickler posted:

I'm still employed at my current place and I don't plan on leaving the job because of them. I'm just looking to move over to Canada and start a new life. And i've never actually worked in games. I'm not sure if that's something I'm interested in anymore.

Well, that's good. As long as you can explain why you are looking to come over without it sounding like you are fleeing the government for being a drug kingpin, should be fine. I'd try to take the text you posted and format it down to one page, and customize that page for jobs you apply for. So if it's a web dev position, focus on that, etc. If you are working with a good recruiter, they can help you with this. A bad one will help TOO much and insert blatant lies that you'll need to then backtrack and puts you in a bad place to start. Helps if you bring a copy of your resume with you to an interview, though I guess you'll be doing most of that remotely.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 18, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

At least in the US I have only heard "bespoke' used in terms of fashion. Which basically immediately makes it seem overly pretentious to me when I see the word come across.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Also, LabiaBadgerTickler, if you are interested, a job posting for something requiring Unity, iOS and Android came through one of my emails. I'd have PMed you, but you don't love Lowtax enough. Post your email if you'd like, and I can send details.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kitten smoothie posted:

At least in the US I have only heard "bespoke' used in terms of fashion. Which basically immediately makes it seem overly pretentious to me when I see the word come across.

Also in the states, and that's been my experience. If I hear someone say "bespoke software" or otherwise in an IT context, I expect them to also say things like "White Glove support" :fuckoff:

return0
Apr 11, 2007
fwiw people do tend to say "bespoke" in the UK in the context of custom/tailored software features in the UK. Depending on context this can be positive, neutral or negative. It seems redundant in that CV; like, most/all of the time if you are engaged in work for specifically for a client then the features will be bespoke?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

return0 posted:

fwiw people do tend to say "bespoke" in the UK in the context of custom/tailored software features in the UK. Depending on context this can be positive, neutral or negative. It seems redundant in that CV; like, most/all of the time if you are engaged in work for specifically for a client then the features will be bespoke?

Yeah, then I'm sure it's fine to leave on there if it's common in the target area.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

return0 posted:

fwiw people do tend to say "bespoke" in the UK in the context of custom/tailored software features in the UK.
I didn't read the CV so not sure about the specific context but this is definitely true.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I'm sure they do. I wasn't suggesting it be removed in the context of the UK or in general, I was suggesting it would not be understood the same way here in Canada or the US.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
US here and I have only seen bespoke referring to fashion or clothing until VERY recently. I could definitely see it coming off as pretentious to someone here.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

When I hear "bespoke" I think of perhaps a Rolls Royce brochure or the latest interior decorating featured in Rich Man's Luxury Lifestyle Magazine.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kitten smoothie posted:

Which is weird, because we use bespoke constantly where I work. It's used to signify that a feature is unique to a customer and not available out-of-the-box.

I'm not sure why anyone would consider the word pretentious. It's perfect for this situation.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

"Custom(ized)" is way more prevalent.

And having worked/working for several enterprise software vendors, we never said things like "created bespoke add-ons to our product," we'd say something like "customized to the client's business case."

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
However, if you're applying to a SF startup, "bespoke" is considered inappropriate to use unless followed by the traditional "artisanal." E.g. "Developed bespoke artisanal PID control loop for upcycled Peltier system"

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

oRenj9 posted:

Which is weird, because we use bespoke constantly where I work. It's used to signify that a feature is unique to a customer and not available out-of-the-box.

I'm not sure why anyone would consider the word pretentious. It's perfect for this situation.

Pretty much all words considered pretentious ARE perfectly valid words and in the right context, it's just whether or not it is in common usage in a given area. It's not an incorrect word, it just has a high chance of communicating the wrong message and getting a resume rejected. Doesn't take much.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
This is way more thought than the choice of the word "custom" vs. "bespoke" deserves. They mean exactly the same thing.

Kylver
Feb 25, 2013
I had an interview with a company about two months ago. A month after the interview, I was sent a polite email from one of my interviewers saying that they were no longer hiring but that would keep my information on file and to contact him a few months later when they were hiring again.

Fast forward to three weeks since the rejection email, I look on an online job posting board and find out that this company is now hiring summer intern positions that are available for recent grads. I was wondering, would it be alright to contact my interviewer again about this internship position (after filling out the appropriate online job application) or is it too soon to be asking?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kylver posted:

I had an interview with a company about two months ago. A month after the interview, I was sent a polite email from one of my interviewers saying that they were no longer hiring but that would keep my information on file and to contact him a few months later when they were hiring again.

Fast forward to three weeks since the rejection email, I look on an online job posting board and find out that this company is now hiring summer intern positions that are available for recent grads. I was wondering, would it be alright to contact my interviewer again about this internship position (after filling out the appropriate online job application) or is it too soon to be asking?

Well... the 'we'll keep your information on file' thing is often a lie. They might have your resume in a file somewhere, but it's very unlikely they'll ever look at it, decide "Tonight's the night", and call you up. I guess, I'd give it a shot, worst case scenario they say "This guy again? Can't he take a hint?" and not hire you a second time. If you can make it sound like you are very interested in the company/technology, it might not come off too desperate.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
Even if it's not a lie (it happens if you just hired a bunch of juniors and want to take some time to see how things shake out), the HR people might (correctly) reason that the qualified applicants they had to turn away when the positions were filled surely have long since found other employment.

Nag the interviewer and point to the position (and perhaps be ready for a bit more frank rejection if that was the problem).

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
I've got an interview at TheLadders on Monday, and in the conversation I had with the recruiter he said they'd be covering something about "modeling". I was just copying down what he said at the time, but as I'm going in for a front-end position I'm not sure this makes a lot of sense. Could he mean modeling just in terms of generic OO programing style? Or, like, database stuff? I'm a bit at a loss on how to prepare.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Just call/email the recruiter and ask him to clarify what he meant by modeling, since as you said it could be a bunch of different things.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

bradburypancakes posted:

I've got an interview at TheLadders on Monday, and in the conversation I had with the recruiter he said they'd be covering something about "modeling". I was just copying down what he said at the time, but as I'm going in for a front-end position I'm not sure this makes a lot of sense. Could he mean modeling just in terms of generic OO programing style? Or, like, database stuff? I'm a bit at a loss on how to prepare.

Your interviewers leaked me some work samples from your competitors' portfolios. good luck!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

This is way more thought than the choice of the word "custom" vs. "bespoke" deserves. They mean exactly the same thing.

One of those words doesn't make people want to slap you.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Deus Rex posted:

Your interviewers leaked me some work samples from your competitors' portfolios. good luck!

Also doubles as a nice illustrated example of people who overuse the term "bespoke"

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 23, 2015

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

kitten smoothie posted:

Also doubles as a nice illustrated example of people who overuse the term "bespoke"

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
How long should I wait after submitting a coding challenge to start bugging the person I sent it to if they got a chance to check it out? I hate to be a bother but it's something I spent 4-5 hours on for one company so I'd be hoping to hear back within a week.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Coding challenges are a pain to review and you have to assume they're getting lots of them. You may have put a lot of work into it but it'll be in a queue with crap that doesn't compile or run. The people reviewing it aren't HR so they're taking time out of their regular work to do reviews so don't be too upset if it takes a while.

The only chance of mitigation is a good, specific cover letter to show you aren't a low effort applicant, but this still might not get you up the queue.

If they've confirmed receipt I'd give them a little over a week, then politely email asking if they'd had a chance to review it yet.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Destroyenator posted:

Coding challenges are a pain to review and you have to assume they're getting lots of them. You may have put a lot of work into it but it'll be in a queue with crap that doesn't compile or run. The people reviewing it aren't HR so they're taking time out of their regular work to do reviews so don't be too upset if it takes a while.

The only chance of mitigation is a good, specific cover letter to show you aren't a low effort applicant, but this still might not get you up the queue.

If they've confirmed receipt I'd give them a little over a week, then politely email asking if they'd had a chance to review it yet.

If I were gonna do this kind of thing I'd think I'd want to start with a test suite I can just run everyone's challenge against and save a lot of time.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Yeah, automation can help but it can depend on what you're looking for.

We don't provide any tests or layout anything because we want to see if they include tests themselves and how they organise the code. Even then you're still dealing with a zip/rar/git bundle/GitHub url and sometimes they include junk bin/obj stuff, 3rd party libs, or nuget references.

Also it is random code someone has mailed you, automated build/test is not a secure thing to do.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm curious what you guys think about my education and if it'd be enough for a job in programming. I recently taught myself enough html, css, bootstrap, JavaScript, and jQuery, to come up with a portfolio page completely from scratch: https://www.travisbumgarner.com. It's mostly done but my computer died as I was finishing up so it'll be another few weeks before I can add a few more things and can call it compete.

Additionally, I've got a degree in mechanical engineering so I've had experience with Matlab, basic computer science topics, self taught a bit of python, made some stuff with arduino/wiring, and other odds and ends with html.

I've got a bunch of free time over the next three months and I'm going to continue to delve into these topics and might try pursuing a job if I have enough experience.

huhu fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 25, 2015

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

huhu posted:

I'm curious what you guys think about my education and if it'd be enough for a job in programming. I recently taught myself enough html, css, bootstrap, JavaScript, and jQuery, to come up with a portfolio page completely from scratch: https://www.travisbumgarner.com. It's mostly done but my computer died as I was finishing up so it'll be another few weeks before I can add a few more things and can call it compete.

Additionally, I've got a degree in mechanical engineering so I've had experience with Matlab, basic computer science topics, self taught a bit of python, made some stuff with arduino/wiring, and other odds and ends with html.

I've got a bunch of free time over the next three months and I'm going to continue to delve into these topics and might try pursuing a job if I have enough experience.

quote:

(Note: There are some issues, which I believe are not because my code, that cause this game to malfunction on some computers.)

:raise:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

edit: ah, the url in your post links to http://www.travisbumgarner.com. instead of http://www.travisbumgarner.com

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

I programmed on Windows, invited a friend to pay on a Mac, and the whole game was screwed up. I know I know, compatibility on all browsers and such, but working within Khan Academy's setup, I'm not sure where to even begin to fix the issue. Also, it was only my second real attempt at making something in JavaScript.

... I need to work on how I present my work.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

What are salaries like in the San Francisco (Berkeley)CA area? I'm being paid pretty well considering my experience in the midwest, but I'm not really sure how that translates to west coast bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

huhu posted:

I programmed on Windows, invited a friend to pay on a Mac, and the whole game was screwed up. I know I know, compatibility on all browsers and such, but working within Khan Academy's setup, I'm not sure where to even begin to fix the issue. Also, it was only my second real attempt at making something in JavaScript.

... I need to work on how I present my work.

Open the thing up in whatever browser it's not working in and debug it, is the way to fix it. You'll end up doing that sometimes if you want to do Web development.