Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Open the thing up in whatever browser it's not working in and debug it, is the way to fix it. You'll end up doing that sometimes if you want to do Web development.

To his defense, it's not working on Mac. Given that it seems to work in Firefox and Chrome, I presume the problem is with Safari, and modern versions of that only run on Macs. I'm not sure how web devs deal with this, to be honest. All the ones I know have Macs, if you can call that a solution :P

I'd be more worried about the only part of your programming portfolio being a tiny JS thing that's full of magic constants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Skuto posted:

To his defense, it's not working on Mac. Given that it seems to work in Firefox and Chrome, I presume the problem is with Safari, and modern versions of that only run on Macs. I'm not sure how web devs deal with this, to be honest. All the ones I know have Macs, if you can call that a solution :P

I'd be more worried about the only part of your programming portfolio being a tiny JS thing that's full of magic constants.

I've only been at this for about two months now. I did do the whole website from scratch if that counts for anything. Also, once I get my new computer I'll actually have what I believe to be a worthwhile project... I'll return once I've got some more to show.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Skuto posted:

Usually you'll have more than one platform. I primarily do ASP.NET development, so I'm in Visual Studio on Windows most of the time. But when I test the front end, I have a Mac. I guess I could use Xamarin Studio on the Mac if I wanted to... but I'm not a masochist :v:.

As for the website. On the plus side, you are using Bootstrap, so that's pretty cool. I did notice some issues with your css. First, it's not really organized. .articleBG has two separate classes for some reason. Some of the classes are single lines, while others are tabbed out. Based on the comment styles, it looks like parts of it were copy and pasted from elsewhere?

This is my personal preference, but you may want to collapse the navigation menu for smaller screens/mobile. I tried viewing the site on my iPhone and I had to pick from the menu, then scroll down. It was annoying.

When I first opened the site on my desktop, I didn't realize there was a background.

Now, I do have a super high resolution, ultra-wide screen monitor (most websites, including the ones I make, don't take well to the space). But when I shrunk it down, I saw the background

Just an FYI about fixing backgrounds to the bottom of divs. It someones won't do what you want them to do. You might want to reduce the size of the image.

Broken images in sketches

Commented out placeholders.

Also this:

huhu posted:

It's mostly done but my computer died as I was finishing up so it'll be another few weeks before I can add a few more things and can call it compete.

If you're not doing this already, use source control. Get something like a Github account and start tracking your progress. that way if things start screwing up with your computer, it'll be easy to go right back to where you left off. Also so any potential employer can see how you handle commits and your progress tracking.

EDIT:

I should say, it's a good first step. I'm not sure if you're going into web development or not. If you are more websites are dynamically driven rather than use static pages, so you might want to look into that more as you get more conformable.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 25, 2015

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
Sure it counts for something, I'm just saying your portfolio also echoes and shows your relative inexperience. Just keep at it. If there's some way to get a more experienced person (that actually knows what he's doing himself) to review your code that could help you a lot since self-study may not expose bad habits until they blow-up in your face.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Thanks for all the suggestions. When I mentioned not being finished, I wanted to structure the CSS properly, make sure it was fully responsive, fix the menu on the phone, add descriptions to the images, etc. I went from zero to that website, including creating content, the images, the CSS, in just a few weeks. I was mainly inspired by job applications for mech engineering positions that request a portfolio and I did not want to buy a template.

I also do have Github but I managed to register a domain with Amazon and it appears I cannot transfer it for a bit so I am going to keep using Github to keep stuff updated and then upload new copies to Amazon until I can transfer the domain name. (Unless I misunderstood everything and I can actually transfer everything right away to Github)

For dynamic driven stuff, would that be like using JavaScript on this page, for example? Then maybe AJAX, PHP, or Ruby on Rails? I am currently looking for the next things to learn and I plan to go a bit deeper into HTML, CSS, and JS but want to expand a bit more.

huhu fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 25, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

huhu posted:

I also do have Github but I managed to register a domain with Amazon and it appears I cannot transfer it for a bit so I am going to keep using Github to keep stuff updated and then upload new copies to Amazon until I can transfer the domain name. (Unless I misunderstood everything and I can actually transfer everything right away to Github)

No, you misunderstood. I just mean committing your code changes to github. If you're already doing that, you're fine. :)

For "dynamic" sites, yeah, it's basically doing things like single page web sites. Instead of just generating the html before hand, you can either generate and load it in dynamically on the page. For your page, you could do things like, instead of having each tab lead to a different page, it could call a Jquery function that gets the html and populates it in the main container div, so you have to keep loading new pages. For now just keep doing what you're doing, but be mindful of that stuff.

Also if you don't already use the browsers developer tools, you totally should. Just hit F12 on most web browsers and you should see dev tools that can help you make tweaks without having to edit the html/css/js/whatever in your ide. Chrome has a device mode that will fake devices for you so you can somewhat test how a site should look on a variety of devices, including phones.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Tres Burritos posted:

What are salaries like in the San Francisco (Berkeley)CA area? I'm being paid pretty well considering my experience in the midwest, but I'm not really sure how that translates to west coast bucks.

A lot

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tres Burritos posted:

What are salaries like in the San Francisco (Berkeley)CA area?
Very high (highest in the world, probably), due to the density/strength of the tech sector and also the insane housing costs. Starting at 100k for new college grads is not seen as unusual as all here. Some of the 'better' companies start new college grads at considerably more than that.

edit: talking about the bay area as a whole, I dunno about Berkeley specifically but it can't be too different, I would think.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 26, 2015

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Speaking of salaries:

I'm about to do the final round of interviews for a web developer position with a place in Portland. It's a 3 year old startup, their last round of funding was $5M in 2013, Series A.

They're advertising two positions under their Angel List profile right now that have ranges attached:

Senior Software Engineer
$85K – $110K
0.25% – 0.6% Equity

Product Designer
$75K – $100K
0.25% – 1.0% Equity

Based on the job descriptions, the position I'm interviewing for clearly slots in below the senior position. No numbers have been discussed from either side so far. Based on my research of wages in Portland and taking into account the range for the senior position above, I'm shooting for $75k after negotiating.

1. Does that sound reasonable?

2. I remember reading around here that the different funding rounds help set some expectations around what you should expect in terms of compensation, anyone got a writeup for that?

3. Related to #2, what's the deal with equity and should I care about it? I feel like another thing I read here is that most people tend to not value it that much. More like a lottery ticket than something that has inherent value.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
As someone trying to get my first web dev job, I'm quickly becoming very annoyed with coding challenges. On one hand trying to solve a problem and writing code is never really a waste but I've been burned twice now by companies who were probably on the verge of making someone else an offer (or maybe even already made an offer considering the timeframe) when they gave me a ~5 hour coding challenge and I have no idea if they even looked at my submission.

They took the positions down and didn't confirm they hired someone else or even that they received my submission until I asked about it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tomahawk posted:

As someone trying to get my first web dev job, I'm quickly becoming very annoyed with coding challenges. On one hand trying to solve a problem and writing code is never really a waste but I've been burned twice now by companies who were probably on the verge of making someone else an offer (or maybe even already made an offer considering the timeframe) when they gave me a ~5 hour coding challenge and I have no idea if they even looked at my submission.

They took the positions down and didn't confirm they hired someone else or even that they received my submission until I asked about it.

Look on the bright side, at least you didn't accept an offer from such lovely companies.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Skuto posted:

I'm not sure how web devs deal with this, to be honest.

browserstack.com - doesn't help much with factorial-scale* growth of additional issues that can come up when you start thinking about user settings being tweaked, though.

I did try to get an OSX VM going so I didn't have to get up and walk to the testing mini but it's unstable as all hell and now it's badly outdated with no upgrade path :toot:

*I think there's a more correct name for that, right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tomahawk posted:

5 hours is ridiculous. Either you're really bad at web dev (no offense) so its taking way longer than intended, or that company is full of dicks.

Maybe try to find some neutral code challenges on the web like project euler or google code jam, complete those on your own, and then offer to send those with your next resume to pre-empt them so they don't ask you to jump through their own custom hoops without even giving you a look?

We have to give people a code challenge before we even look at their resume simply to save ourselves time, but its something that you should be able to do in less than 30 minutes. Not web dev per se although I do work pretty full stack.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

when they gave me a ~5 hour coding challenge and I have no idea if they even looked at my submission.

"5hour coding challenge" can mean many things. I've had a startup want to do that after they did a couple of phone interviews with me to gauge my interest and background. They actually wanted to do it "live" while i was screen sharing over Skype (so I guess it was their version of an on-site). That's a bit unorthodox but understandable.

Asking for a 5 hour coding challenge solution as the default response to any incoming application is stupid though.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Zaphod42 posted:

5 hours is ridiculous. Either you're really bad at web dev (no offense) so its taking way longer than intended, or that company is full of dicks.

No, these places are stating up front that their coding challenge will take you a few hours, I wouldn't spend any more time on something than they have suggested. I've taken a bunch of different ones so far and I've seen everything from a 15 minute "code fibonacci etc etc" to a combined "8 hour front and back end challenge".

I'm working with a company now that sent me a sizable coding challenge as the next step following a phone screen but yeah some of these companies are making a long coding challenge the first step before talking to a human being. And again, I really don't mind doing it as long as the company intends to actually review it and give me feedback.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 27, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Crossposting from Yospos:

So I did really well on my phone interview with Red Hat and have an on site scheduled this week. I started the interview process thinking it would just be a good experience, but now it's seeming like something I might actually be able to make happen.

I'll be super torn if I get it.

1) It's contract. In talking to everyone at RH, it sounds like, for the most part, they only hire contract and then hire full time out of their contract pool. No idea whether or not that is bullshit.

2) I have a feeling they will pay me enough to make the lack of benefits a wash over my current position. I'd go to redhat even if I was making less money because:

3) It's Red Hat. Even if they dont pick me up again after the contract expires, I feel like I'll be opening up a lot of doors. Except:

4) I really like my current company. They're good people and I like my co-workers. But our codebase is awful.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
A year from now, which would you regret more: abandoning your former teammates, or having passed on an opportunity to work at Red Hat?

NickPlowswell
Sep 14, 2014

The exoplanet has failed :qq:
I got an email a couple days ago from a Google recruiter saying they saw my Github saying that they were "quite impressed by your activities in Go as well as your involvement in the wider open source world".

Should I expect anything to really come out of this, or do you think they're just shotgunning out emails to find people? I only ask because I have no education or job experience in the field.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

NickPlowswell posted:

I got an email a couple days ago from a Google recruiter saying they saw my Github saying that they were "quite impressed by your activities in Go as well as your involvement in the wider open source world".

Should I expect anything to really come out of this, or do you think they're just shotgunning out emails to find people? I only ask because I have no education or job experience in the field.

If a Google recruiter reaches out to you that means you'll have at least a phone interview with an engineer, anecdotally.

What's your experience and education like?

NickPlowswell
Sep 14, 2014

The exoplanet has failed :qq:

Deus Rex posted:

If a Google recruiter reaches out to you that means you'll have at least a phone interview with an engineer, anecdotally.

What's your experience and education like?

Yeah they asked about scheduling a call.

I've been working with Go for around a year and a half and have contributed to about a dozen projects, before that I was doing Python for two. I only have a highschool diploma and all my actual work experience is just working as a stage technician, primarily doing live sound. I also did First Robotics all through highschool and I was always told it looks good, but I'm not entirely sold on it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

NickPlowswell posted:

Yeah they asked about scheduling a call.

I've been working with Go for around a year and a half and have contributed to about a dozen projects, before that I was doing Python for two. I only have a highschool diploma and all my actual work experience is just working as a stage technician, primarily doing live sound. I also did First Robotics all through highschool and I was always told it looks good, but I'm not entirely sold on it.
Is Google still extremely elitist w.r.t. higher education?

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Analytic Engine posted:

Google is a big company, and contains plenty of elitists and non-elitists. You hear a fair amount of complaints along the lines of "Google only hires people with 3 PhDs" and plenty along the lines of "Google barely even bothered to glance at my resume". In my experience the complaint that interviewers barely pay attention to your resume is the more accurate complaint, but it is true that the interviews tend to feature a lot of stuff that comes up more in a college cs curriculum than in practical software development.

If anything I'd guess that a non-traditional background is a positive, but that's conditioned on doing well on the interview problems.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't get asked anything about my educational background when I interviewed at Google and it felt like three of the interviewers had only skimmed my CV at best. There was a lot of questions about my industry experience and a bunch of random stuff including Fermi estimation, troubleshooting, debugging, system design, and a programming test which was algorithm focused (determining the highest item in an unsorted list and a few other similar things) with hardly any data structure knowledge needed. I wouldn't say that it required anything that I learnt at university and wouldn't have picked up anyway if I was self-taught.

However, I failed it, so who knows. It also wasn't a pure dev role, it was "partner engineering", a mix of dev/consulting/support. And it definitely felt like I could have been interviewed by four different people and had a totally different experience.

Edit: I should add that it was actually a lot of fun, definitely go for it if they contacted you.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 3, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Out of wonder, are there any notable shops known for being super computer science "elitist"? Like, places that ask you veiled questions about the polynomial hierarchy (things where the answer is "I don't think the problem you're asking me to solve is likely to be tractable because you can reduce 3SAT to it"), or want you to brainstorm randomized algorithms? Maybe some cryptography consultant places or something?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

If you have >=2 years of work experience, they don't care.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
From what I understand (I am far from an expert or even being a senior developer so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt), Google gives a lot of authority to the individuals who happen to be recruiting a particular candidate at a time. So, if you get A, B, and C interviewers who don't give a hoot about higher education, your experience (and chance at being hired) may be different then if you get interviewed by D, E, and F who all really care about having a degree, preferably from a renowned school (as an example). From what I've heard Google tends to err more on the side of not giving a poo poo about higher education, although they are generally concerned with being handy with algorithmic efficiency as well as knowing algorithms/data structures in general.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Anime Sandwich posted:

If you have >=2 years of work experience, they don't care.

Pretty much this. If you're a new grad, yes, they'll be picky about your studies; if you have any decent industry experience (and can talk to a recruiter on the phone about it in reasonable technical depth), then they don't really care. This is especially true the farther away you get from Mountain View.

Basically, the Google recruiting process is a clusterfuck, and has four general stages for SWE candidates:

1) HR recruiter phone screen. ~45 minutes on the phone with HR personnel. Objectives: Are you human? Are you capable of talking on the phone about technical issues without sounding like a complete idiot? Can you talk fluently about the last project you worked on?

2) Technical phone screen. ~45 minutes on the phone with a full time dev. Objectives: Do you actually measure up to your resume? Can you do a little bit of live coding in your language of choice on a shared GDocs page? Can you talk fluently about basic professional software development? (Typical topics: fundamental programming, source control, data structures, computational complexity, parallelism, rudimentary debugging, unit testing, shell scripting.)

3) On-site interview. All-day affair at a Google office; you spend an hour at a time with 5-6 different developers. Objectives: Okay, we know you're not a total idiot. But are you smart enough to meet the hiring bar?

4) A stupid loving wait while a committee reviews the feedback from #3 and decides whether to give you an offer. (And if they do, it get passed on to another separate committee to decide what wage / hiring bonus to offer you.)

It can take a month or more from #1 happening to getting an offer in your hand, so if you're doing a general job search and Google's pinged you, start with them as soon as you can, and then interview with other companies in parallel while you're waiting for an answer.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also if you can get a reference from someone who works there you can sometimes skip (1) which is good because that step is dumb and involves answering questions that the person asking doesn't actually understand.

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
That's pretty similar to the hiring process at most bigtech companies. Google's official policy is that you'll do more like 3 interviews during the onsite, not 5-6 (they used to do more, but realized from their data that > four total interviews adds little predictive power about job performance). However, if they're on the fence about you they can sometimes add an extra interview. Also, if you interview for more than one team, they can add extra interviews for that as well.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
Are devs typically interviewed by non-devs, at Google or elsewhere?

Where I work, we have a PM and a QA on each dev loop.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
At the company I'm about to go work for as an intern, I was interviewed by mostly technical people but also one of the partners of the company who I believe was non-technical.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bartkusa posted:

For my Google interview (Android Partner Engineering, not a pure dev role) I got: the guy who would have been my boss, a guy doing the same job that I was interviewing for, a tangentially related sales guy, and a C++ dev from a completely unrelated team who didn't even work at that location.

Edit: V V V :golfclap:

Tunga fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 5, 2015

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Tunga posted:

For my Google interview (Android Partner Engineering, not a pure dev role) I got: the guy who would have been my boss, a guy doing the same job that I was interviewing for, a tangentially related sales guy, and a C++ dev from a completely unrelated team who didn't even work at that location.

Sounds like a dangling reference.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

DimpledChad posted:

That's pretty similar to the hiring process at most bigtech companies. Google's official policy is that you'll do more like 3 interviews during the onsite, not 5-6 (they used to do more, but realized from their data that > four total interviews adds little predictive power about job performance). However, if they're on the fence about you they can sometimes add an extra interview. Also, if you interview for more than one team, they can add extra interviews for that as well.

This depends a lot on the site. For most places that aren't MTV, it's going to be five interviews, but one of them is going to have low weight in the evaluation. :v:

Context: At any given time, most Google sites are training more devs to do interviewing. As a new interviewer, you'll do training classes, then you do a couple of interviews where you're either observing or being observed by another experienced interviewer (with debrief meetings afterwards). Eventually, you're allowed to interview candidates on your own, but you won't have a reliable sense yet for whether a candidate is good or bad; you're "uncalibrated." So, until you get a couple of interviews under your belt and get a good sense of hire/nohire, the hiring committee is going to weight your interview feedback to reduce its impact, and rely heavily on the other four calibrated interviewers.

(Also, even if the recruiter is hiring with a specific position in mind, they'll rarely have more than one person from that team on the loop. They'll try to get a reasonable cross-section of devs doing interviews, as if you were hiring a generalist programmer. Keep in mind that Google encourages you to change projects every few years, so hiring someone who's overly specialized in a single field may be suboptimal in the longrun, even if it perfectly fills a present opening.)

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014

bartkusa posted:

Where I work, we have a PM and a QA on each dev loop.

Sounds pretty typical. The last few interviews I've had all had a PM on their interview loop. My team usually goes me -> one of the other devs -> PM -> hiring manager -> team lead. If someone calls out at the last minute we try to substitute in someone from a team we work closely with.

If the candidate has no idea what they're doing we drop the team lead and let them go after they talk to the hiring manager.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ullerrm posted:

This depends a lot on the site. For most places that aren't MTV, it's going to be five interviews, but one of them is going to have low weight in the evaluation. :v:

Context: At any given time, most Google sites are training more devs to do interviewing. As a new interviewer, you'll do training classes, then you do a couple of interviews where you're either observing or being observed by another experienced interviewer (with debrief meetings afterwards). Eventually, you're allowed to interview candidates on your own, but you won't have a reliable sense yet for whether a candidate is good or bad; you're "uncalibrated." So, until you get a couple of interviews under your belt and get a good sense of hire/nohire, the hiring committee is going to weight your interview feedback to reduce its impact, and rely heavily on the other four calibrated interviewers.

(Also, even if the recruiter is hiring with a specific position in mind, they'll rarely have more than one person from that team on the loop. They'll try to get a reasonable cross-section of devs doing interviews, as if you were hiring a generalist programmer. Keep in mind that Google encourages you to change projects every few years, so hiring someone who's overly specialized in a single field may be suboptimal in the longrun, even if it perfectly fills a present opening.)

This is both hilarious and very smart of Google.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This isn't IT specific but I'm kind of losing my mind here and was hoping some older goons might be able to shed some light on this weird situation I'm in.

I smoke a little bit of pot on the weekends, and a month ago I was told I'd be laid off. Haven't smoked since the day before I was told this news. Immediately got in touch with a few companies and staffing agencies, and an agency got me an interview with a company I was pretty interested in. Got to the point where they wanted me to do a drug test and background check, and in the interview where they gave me the paperwork for the drug test both the IT Director and HR Director separately popped their heads in while I was doing a code challenge and said "Hey, we really like. I understand you're probably interviewing with other companies as well, but I'd like it if you called and talked to us before taking any other offer". So, safe to say they wanted me pretty bad. I went home to try and figure out what I was going to do because there was no way I'd pass a test. Ultimately decided to just write the HR Director and be completely honest and tell him ahead of time. He suggested I should take the test anyways, because they "consider all aspects of the interview process" before making a decision. So I thought I was going to be OK.

A week goes by and I haven't heard from them. Decided to shoot the HR Director another email and ask for an update and reiterate my interest in the position. No response. The Staffing Agency was told this company was interviewing another candidate, but that person was no longer up for consideration and that I still was.

Now, this week, the staffing agency called another HR Employee, who I had met with in my first interview, and left a voicemail 2 days ago. No response.

This company told me their hiring process was a very slow one, but I haven't heard from the company since 4/19 and it seems like the staffing agency hasn't heard from them since last week when they were interviewing someone else who is allegedly no longer in the running.

I'm just really loving confused, disappointed and a little angry. I was initially thinking I'm SOL and they just didn't want to give me bad news and not respond. I've applied for lots of jobs and never got a response. Kind of rude, kind of unprofessional, but whatever. But to also not respond to the staffing agency makes me a little hopeful and even more confused.

I've since been interviewing with another company, the job itself I'm a bit less interested in but the company culture seems like it might be a lot better for me. Unfortunately it's a good bit further from my house. I was thinking that, if this second company makes an offer (they want to see me a third time next week, for "only about 30 minutes"), I'd let the first company know and maybe that'd get a response but at this point I don't know if I even want to work with them after this long period of silence.

Any thoughts or opinions? I know this isn't really a Technical Interview question but since being out of work with nothing but free time I'm going insane and can't stop thinking about all of this :suicide:

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The fact that they haven't responded to you or the staffing agency is kind of weird. Did you take the test? If not, then maybe they are just really incredibly slow (or they don't want to outright say "we're choosing not to consider you because of a drug test that you haven't taken"). If you're still interested in the job, shoot them an email if the other place gives you an offer, but other than that I wouldn't worry about them too much. It may be something completely unrelated--for all you know, someone's lovely nephew got the job.

And in the future, just buy some fake urine from a headshop or Amazon or something, then the issue of passing a drug test isn't a problem.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I did take it on the Monday following my last face-to-face with them on a Friday. Wrote them on Sunday, the day before I took the test, which is when they told me to do take it anyways. Then again immediately after I did the test, letting them know it was done. No response since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
Honesty is not the best policy when it comes to getting a job