Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Didio said on twitter one of the convergence spin offs is gonna continue (and that it's probably not Booster Gold because it would be too obvious?). Anyone have a guess which it might be?

JSA. If the new guys are keeping the planet instead of porting over, how about their historic counterparts make it to Earth?

If you're going with plonking history in the new universe, might as well make it them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just put bring Wally and family back even if Speed Force isn't continuing.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

JSA. If the new guys are keeping the planet instead of porting over, how about their historic counterparts make it to Earth?

If you're going with plonking history in the new universe, might as well make it them!

Earth 2 is spinning off into that Earth 2: Society thing so I doubt that. I mean that's as close as you can get to just saying "The Justice Society" without saying it. I guess nothing stops the Pre-52 JSA from existing but it seems a little redundant.

Codependent Poster posted:

Just put bring Wally and family back even if Speed Force isn't continuing.

But they already brought Wally back, don't you see?

Legion of Superheroes coming back is probably plausible. It's always been its own thing and could spinoff from Convergence without butting in on any other continuity.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Denis Medri shares the Red Hood design for RH/Arsenal

So loving COOL

The series is gonna kick so much rear end :allears:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Earth 2 is spinning off into that Society thing so I doubt that.

That's what I mean. In Society, they get to keep what has to be the Convergence planet.
The classics from pre-Crisis Earth 2 have a book in Convergence, so if something's continuing, they could port on over!

e: You expanded, but nearly anything continuing from Convergence, coming over to the nu-U would have a counterpart. That'd be the point.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 5, 2015

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's what I mean. In Society, they get to keep what has to be the Convergence planet.
The classics from pre-Crisis Earth 2 have a book in Convergence, so if something's continuing, they could port on over!

e: You expanded, but nearly anything continuing from Convergence, coming over to the nu-U would have a counterpart. That'd be the point.

Well everyone has a book in Convergence, the Pre-Flashpoint JSA isn't unique in that aspect.

Legion doesn't which is why it popped into my head as the most likely. Some supporting characters at the core of some books aren't represented (Wally's kids, Cassandra, I guess technically Renee hasn't shown up yet but there is a Question hanging around somewhere blah blah). It'd seem weird for them to have a Pre-Flashpoint JSA with all the same names as the Earth 2: Society ongoing but I definitely wouldn't object to the JSA sticking around. It was definitely one of the best Convergence spinoffs thusfar.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So loving COOL

So, Red Hood gets Azrael's mask and hood and Wonder Woman gets his wrist blades? I look forward to Alan Scott getting his cape.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So loving COOL

That looks cool. I'm definitely down to give it shot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Omega Men preview sounds like it's gonna cause a stink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKKg-2hE2fg
5:15 in. Time embedding doesn't seem to work.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is just me or the Batman Earth One V2 looks kind of thin?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So loving COOL

The first ever interesting Red Hood design. This is neat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's actually pretty nice. Worlds better than his last one.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't really like the jacket.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No no no. It should have been a red hood that zips up using nanoparticle galvanic memory alloys to turn unto his red helmet.

Duhhhhhhh!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Sneak Peek are available already here

https://www.readdcentertainment.com/Same-Day-as-Print/list/6553

Red Hood/Arsenal is as fun as I hoped and Medri is a great artist for the title, just a minor complaint...

The hairdos he gave to Jason and Roy SUCK

EDIT:

Starfire starts by acknowledging her relationship with Roy, that counts for a lot on my book.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 6, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And plain ol' Comixology too. https://www.comixology.com/DC_Comics

Why am I at work right now :(
I can probably sneak eight pages into bathroom breaks!

e: Divergence is there too, if you missed out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

And plain ol' Comixology too. https://www.comixology.com/DC_Comics

Why am I at work right now :(
I can probably sneak eight pages into bathroom breaks!

e: Divergence is there too, if you missed out.

Oh neat, I couldn't find them anywhere

But seriously, what the gently caress? :argh:

EDIT: Doomed's pretty cool if VERY reminicent of Spiderman

Detective is meh, cool art though

Green Lantern feels like a bargain bin star wars story, also meh

Green Arrow (ironically I guess) reads like one of the shows' flashbacks

Midnighter was eh, too violent for my tastes

Omega Men was boring and there's no way they actually killed Kyle

Prez wasn't what I expected, not really convinced to check it out to be honest

Section 8 :effort:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 6, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kyle is definitely working with the Omega Men, and this tape is a misdirect for whoever's watching it.
What it's obviously invoking is a crazy strong image to throw at people, especially in a 'sneak peek.'
I could be into a space politics comic with Kyle. It's the Grayson writer, and I love that series.

Prez, I'm worried about. Set 20 years into the future, make up some fake social media stuff instead of using Twitter and Anonymous. I guess they own that image mask.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh neat, I couldn't find them anywhere

Is there an editorial edict now that everyone needs that short-hair-on-sides haircut now? poo poo, Joker had it, Commissioner Gordon's got it, now apparently Red Hood and Arsenal have got it. The New New 52: Mohawks for everyone.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everyone's just jacking character of the year, Bluebird.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I grabbed all those free previews off Comixology and actually dug Midnighter quite a bit. I was really looking forward to Prez too but to be honest it kind of sucked. Especially the art. Detective Comics and Starfire had great art but I couldn't care less about the stories. The worst were the Lobdell books of course. No huge shocker there. I think I'll definitely give Midnighter a go when the actual book hits though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Convergence trip report (spoiler tagged for folks in other time zones):

Batgirl:UGH. Was all about Steph & Tim whining about their relationship. It didn't read like any of the characters at all. The fact that this is where three of my favourite characters are probably taking their final bows is so aggravating. At least in their last appearances before this, they were written in-character. Flashpoint Catman gets points for realising 'Hey my universe pretty much sucks, it's probably better to take the fall so you guys can live'.
Titans:Yay, Lian's back! Plus Roy was clearly torn up about having to choose between her and his friends but they ultimately understood how important she was to him. Also Cyborg and Beast Boy as the calvary was awesome. Also the Titans are apparently showing up in Convergence #6?
Question:It's Rucka writing Renee, of course it's going to be good.
Nightwing & Oracle:I realise a woman in a wheelchair managing to smack the poo poo out of Hawkgirl isn't remotely believable, but I loved it. Not to mention surprise Canary.
Justice League:It was alright. I absolutely dug Mera just up and shanking Flashpoint Aquaman, though.
Speed Force:I absolutely loved it, especially Flash calling out Diana for being one of the worst versions of Diana ever.
Atom:Ryan's back! And he managed to not only save Ray but finally get back at Deathstroke for killing him in a pretty awesome manner.
Superman: I liked how Abin Sur decided to talk it out with Supes after the initial fight. Also baby Kent arriving safe and sound. Not see keen as Kal taking out his Flashpoint counterpart off-panel, I'd prefer Kal talked it out with him too.
Harley Quinn:She beat him with a poisoned carrot. That is all. Also, it sucks she had a nice life that got ruined-but that's par for the course for Harley I guess.

All in all, I liked most of the Pre-Flashpoint stories (except Batgirl, that one pisses me off). Are we sure we can't have it back?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The Green Arrow preview was pretty rad. I'm kinda interested in the whole small town in the west feel that's going on with it.

And it's great to see Emiko back with proper focus after Kreisberg wrote her out in such a dismissive way.

Thankfully no references to Felicity either so it's a win on all fronts for me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I am so in on Midnighter.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I am so in on Midnighter.

I love how by the third panel of the preview they just scream at you "THIS MAN JUST HAD GAY SEX WITH A GAY MAN THIS MAN IS GAY." I love how into making a Gay superhero comic they are.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

He's also another guy with an undercut. I'm really liking the overall tone and feel of the story as well as the art. I hope Midnighter sticks around for a while.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 6, 2015

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
okay quick PSA

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY ANY OF THE CONVERGENCE TIE-IN ISSUES TO GET THE PREVIEWS

THEY'RE AVAILABLE FOR FREE ON COMIXOLOGY, ALONG WITH DIVERGENCE (THEIR FCBD BOOK)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

He's also another guy with an undercut. I'm really liking the overall tone and feel of the story as well as the art. I hope Midnighter sticks around for a while.

I think Dan Didjo promised in interviews that they're committing to at least 12 issues for the new ongoings.

e: Doomed has great art, but it's clunky as hell. Another new (assumably) gay character in Alpha Centurion, though! Maybe one day someone not named Scott Lobdell could write him not quite as stereotypical as he seems here.

ee: Tinder mentioned in Green Arrow. They're really hitting real world social media stuff. At least this one isn't two decades in the future.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 6, 2015

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I've now read all the previews, and : I honestly did not expect Prez to take this almost 2000 A.D.-like dark satirical turn but I am so glad it's there and it's the direction the book is gonna go in.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Yeah, Prez was really quite nice. Decent story, loved the art. I'll definitely be buying this. Section 8 I liked and Detective Comics was decent too. Everything else was the same bad DC comics by the same bad writers and the same bad artists. Still, just with Prez and Section 8 that's already a huge percentage increase on the number of DC books I'm currently interested in and we're only in week one of the previews.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dug Green Arrow, Midnighter and Section Eight a whole lot.
I'm curious about Omega Men and cautious on Prez.

As much as I wanna read about Robobat cops, I dropped right off on the team's Det before and I feel like I would again.

I'm only a little into Hitman, so Section Eight might wait a while. It was beautiful, though.

Shameless posted:

the same bad artists.

C'mon. Detective and Midnighter looked real nice.

e:

Shameless posted:

DC house style

MAN, how many unique artists do they need before we can drop this? Holy crap.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 6, 2015

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

I was interested in Omega Men before the preview but now... The art was standard DC house style (which I really REALLY don't like) and the choice of doing it as a hostage execution video put me right off. I still might give the first issue proper a try but I'm not expecting a great deal from it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

C'mon. Detective and Midnighter looked real nice.

I did say Detective was decent and wasn't including that in the list of "same old". The art is top-notch. Midnighter? Nah, not my cup of tea at all. The first couple of pages looked OK but once it got into the action scenes, just didn't work for me art-wise.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's a boldness to doing a strict 9-grid hostage execution of a fan-favorite character that's got me at least pretty interested in Omega Men. And Tom King's work on Grayson only solidifies that.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

MAN, how many unique artists do they need before we can drop this?

More than they've got at the moment. It just looks like too many other books. Sure, DC are getting better about this, but looking through just this batch of previews: Doomed, Red Hat Bro-Force, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Omega Men and even Starfire were just dull as anything to look at and had nothing remotely resembling a unique style. Midnighter was a BIT better but, in my opinion, only just.

Prez, 'Tec and Section 8. Top marks, nicely different styles. More like this please.

Don't get me wrong, DC are making some big steps (for them) in the right direction. (Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Gotham after Midnight) Just not fast enough for my liking.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Shameless posted:

More than they've got at the moment. It just looks like too many other books. Sure, DC are getting better about this, but looking through just this batch of previews: Doomed, Red Hat Bro-Force, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Omega Men and even Starfire were just dull as anything to look at and had nothing remotely resembling a unique style. Midnighter was a BIT better but, in my opinion, only just.

I don't know what to tell you man. Obviously Green Lantern and the Lobdell Power Hour were going to be the weakest offerings of these new books, but I was super into Green Arrow and Midnighter. Green Arrow is probably one of the densest Big 2 comics I've read in a while and Zircher's work can be a little stiff at times, but there's an undeniable Butch Guice influence that I think looks great.

Omega Men was pretty drat intriguing to me, for the reasons ElNarez pointed out, but I pretty much mark out anytime anyone brings back the 9-panel grid.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

H-hey. I found Convergence #5 was kind of a turn around. It was quite a bit of fun where the previous issues were a trudge.
Makes me want to finally get through the Warlord Showcase book I got sitting around.
Lots of weird stuff like the new villain (from Warlord) claiming E2's red avatar lady was Wildcat in the first Crisis.

It didn't hurt that Andy Kubert hopped on.

e: I mean, it ain't gonna bump off Secret Wars for today's top book or nothing, but I'm happy.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 6, 2015

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Semper Fudge posted:

I don't know what to tell you man. Obviously Green Lantern and the Lobdell Power Hour were going to be the weakest offerings of these new books, but I was super into Green Arrow and Midnighter. Green Arrow is probably one of the densest Big 2 comics I've read in a while and Zircher's work can be a little stiff at times, but there's an undeniable Butch Guice influence that I think looks great.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, and if people like it then that's all cool but it's just not really my bag. Story-wise GA seemed OK but the art was just workmanlike to me. Midnighter... just didn't float my boat.

It's kind of hard judging some DC artists given just how BAD a lot of the colouring is. I could easily be dismissing a lot of guys just because a lovely colourist has made their work look poor.

I am a DC guy at heart though and am glad that they're seemingly making the right efforts to get more varied artists in their roster. I don't expect to like everything, just having a bored afternoon at work and was deeply non-plussed with some of the free previews so thought I'd come and vent.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The fact that I can read these previews without buying the books on Comixology is pretty great. Added all of them, and now I just need to get off work.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Of all the convergence spinoff titles this week I only really liked JL and Speed Force. My favorite things they both have in common are The Flashpoint assholes getting some comeuppance. Also Fastback rules. He was basically just if Jay Garrick was around and the older experienced guy again. And also a cartoon turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Of all the convergence spinoff titles this week I only really liked JL and Speed Force. My favorite things they both have in common are The Flashpoint assholes getting some comeuppance. Also Fastback rules. He was basically just if Jay Garrick was around and the older experienced guy again. And also a cartoon turtle.

I wonder if the Flashpoint Arthur & Diana are going to kill each other now.

• Locked thread