Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wanna know when master of mankind is coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Waroduce posted:

I live in Fort Lauderdale, work out of an office in Miami, and the state is my territory, so thats pretty cool.

Would totes play if you guys need/want another, but my only experience is dnd 3.5 and the scrunt play by post game.

E: except for tampa, they got a bunch of federal poo poo I dont touch

There's an Escalation League going on Hey Wanna Play in Plantation. We're at 500 points this month and pretty much everyone but me is a newer player. Come on by this Saturday and check it out! This is the Facebook Group we use, join and I'll add you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zephyrine posted:

So with all these detailed void wars in the books I'm surprised that they haven't been added to the board games yet. Like a parallel map where each sides ships can fight each other for positions to offer various support roles to the ground armies like orbital bombardments.

Roll a 2 or more for successful transition into the warp

You rolled a 1. Gamma field breach. Your space marines went insane and ate the human crew.

Also in case it wasn't mentioned already, Battlefleet Gothic, which actually had decent rules

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's an Escalation League going on Hey Wanna Play in Plantation. We're at 500 points this month and pretty much everyone but me is a newer player. Come on by this Saturday and check it out! This is the Facebook Group we use, join and I'll add you.

Wow I live like 15 mins from there and didnt even know that place existed. All the gaming stuff I'm familiar with takes place at tates. Yall play actual ham the war game or the rpgs??

I don't have Facebook though, what time do you guys kickoff usually

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, it opened up in late November. It was a total surprise to me too. Most people show up around 3-6. I only do the tabletop game, but I think they have an RPG night too.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I just linked this thread to the new Total war: warhammer thread in games so you fellows might be getting an influx of new posters with lots of fluff style questions.

It's hilarious how many goons get a minor taste of GW madness of like lizards riding bigger lizards and go "Day one buy". Wait until they hear about all the other insanity that awaits them. :allears:

And GWs disgusting mismanagement of their own IP. :negative:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Currently working my way through "The Unremembered Empire"

quote:

Guilliman sighed. ‘Let’s do it then. But do not embarrass me or I’ll gut you all myself.’
He turned and resumed his walk down the steps from the platform. He was aware of the Wolves closing in behind him as a ragged and unseemly bodyguard.
‘By the void,’ Guilliman hissed at them. ‘You know you’re making me look like an idiot! Like a heathen king of Illyrium!’
‘Sorry and all that, jarl. Honour demands it,’ Faffnr replied, a hot-breath whisper at Guilliman’s shoulder.
‘You’re a pain in the arse, you know that?’ Guilliman said.
‘Indisputably,’ Faffnr returned.

Guilliman is growing on me.

Edit: This makes Perturabo my second favourite Primarch after Lorgar

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 7, 2015

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
http://www.pcgamer.com/battlefleet-gothic-armada-teaser-reveals-massive-flying-castles-in-space/

:gizz:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zephyrine posted:

Currently working my way through "The Unremembered Empire"

Guilliman is growing on me.

Edit: This makes Perturabo my second favourite Primarch after Lorgar

HAHAHA, he really is a Goon.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
People pay $15 or whatever for these?

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
Thoughts on the Deathfire book coming this summer?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Bring Sajuuk to bear the game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GannerOne posted:

I think the title is hilarious.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

So the Heresy and Pre-heresy era is the 40K equivalent of the old republic I take it?

Back when the interesting people were still alive.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

GannerOne posted:

Vulkan Lives was terrible, so i'm not optimistic.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Deptfordx posted:

Vulkan Lives was terrible

Corax doesn't like getting his feathers ruffled so no man hugs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zephyrine posted:

So the Heresy and Pre-heresy era is the 40K equivalent of the old republic I take it?

Almost all the interesting people are still around in 40k, which is one of the problems with the Heresy era. There have been very few notable characters in the books whose fates in the 40k era aren't already known. They're just less interesting in 40k or dead.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Almost all the interesting people are still around in 40k, which is one of the problems with the Heresy era. There have been very few notable characters in the books whose fates in the 40k era aren't already known. They're just less interesting in 40k or dead.

I thought all the primarchs died before the regular 40k time line.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
They're all technically off the board but they're not dead. A handful of the traitors went on to become Daemon Primarchs (obviously not Horus). The loyalist Primarchs all either died off or rode off into the sunset promising to come back when the time was right, although some of them aren't technically dead but are just close to it in stasis pods.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zephyrine posted:

I thought all the primarchs died before the regular 40k time line.

Your mistake is assuming that the Primarchs are interesting characters :v:

(some of them genuinely are, most really, really aren't.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Your mistake is assuming that the Primarchs are interesting characters :v:

(some of them genuinely are, most really, really aren't.)

That depends on the author, not the character.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

People pay $15 or whatever for these?

The Black Library: All of the embarrassment of anime, for only 3/4ths the price!

Zephyrine posted:

Heresy and pre-heresy gives BL the opportunity to tell a grand, universe-spanning story, which it can't normally do because for game reasons the universe circa 40k has to remain static.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jonad posted:

The Black Library: All of the embarrassment of anime, for only 3/4ths the price!

Heresy and pre-heresy gives BL the opportunity to tell a grand, universe-spanning story, which it can't normally do because for game reasons the universe circa 40k has to remain static.

I'd rather people think I'm a 13 year old metal dork than a child molester, so 40k still wins over animes

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So has anyone read the recent Skitarius novel?

I keep looking at it, but I'm not sure. Is it good? Or at least decent.

I'm hesitant as i keep envisaging 350 pages of bland robot men going on about the Omnissiah and constant harping on about the inferiority of the flesh to the sacred metal etc.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Well if you want metal over flesh, here's a new book I just got an email about :

- C L Werner also wrote Siege of Castellax, the only BL book so bad I had to put it down for good
- The Kataphrakt on the cover looks like an old school spaceman, and the painterly quality of the cover helps with that and I kinda love it
- The Enigma of Flesh is what a true Warhams nerd wonders boobs must feel like

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

You win this thread, SRM.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SRM posted:

- C L Werner also wrote Siege of Castellax, the only BL book so bad I had to put it down for good

I'm picturing you with a rifle in one hand and the book in the other, walking over to the corn crib with a tear in your eye...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Aren't the books that only exist to promote the new model that just came out always universally poo poo?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Skarsnik posted:

Aren't the books that only exist to promote the new model that just came out always universally poo poo?

Oh yeah that Eisenhorn, trash as hell.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

I'm picturing you with a rifle in one hand and the book in the other, walking over to the corn crib with a tear in your eye...
Trust me, no tears were shed that day. Book's loving dreadful.

Skarsnik posted:

Eh, it's kinda hit and miss. I don't have much confidence in these little novellas that are obviously just put out for a quick tie in, but a lot of the time books will have tie in elements to new releases and be fine. One of the Last Chancers books has tons of Tau culture stuff in it and deals really heavily with the Tau and Kroot, and it's an interesting read because of it. Gav Thorpe said in the preface that he was told to incorporate this new Tau stuff into it to tie in with the new releases. Apparently the Fire Warrior tie in novel is pretty good, while the Dawn of War books are some of the absolute worst things BL's ever published. Even things like Warp Talons are just included in the background of books since they're new and they want to push them. Notice how the Dreadnoughts in Horus Heresy books are now all Contemptor Dreads, for instance.

Considering these books are all there to promote models of some sort, they're as hit or miss as the rest of them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SRM posted:

Well if you want metal over flesh, here's a new book I just got an email about :

- The Kataphrakt on the cover looks like an old school spaceman, and the painterly quality of the cover helps with that and I kinda love it
Given that the old "Slocombs Warbots" were yoinked from Battletech I'm pretty sure the Kataphrakts are a reference to that via this: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mackie

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arquinsiel posted:

Given that the old "Slocombs Warbots" were yoinked from Battletech I'm pretty sure the Kataphrakts are a reference to that via this: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mackie

The Kataphrakts are just Rogue Trader Cataphract robots with a makeover:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SRM posted:

The Kataphrakts are just Rogue Trader Cataphract robots with a makeover:

That's around the same era as these lads here: http://www.solegends.com/citrt/slocombeswarbots.htm That is actually the Castellan class robot though: http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c894009robots-01.htm

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Aw poo poo you're right; I've actually got a Castellan, Cataphract, and Conqueror on my painting table now :D

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I majorly regret nor ordering some of those while they were still available. GW used to be cool, way back in the day...

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

SRM posted:

Trust me, no tears were shed that day. Book's loving dreadful.

Eh, it's kinda hit and miss. I don't have much confidence in these little novellas that are obviously just put out for a quick tie in, but a lot of the time books will have tie in elements to new releases and be fine. One of the Last Chancers books has tons of Tau culture stuff in it and deals really heavily with the Tau and Kroot, and it's an interesting read because of it. Gav Thorpe said in the preface that he was told to incorporate this new Tau stuff into it to tie in with the new releases. Apparently the Fire Warrior tie in novel is pretty good, while the Dawn of War books are some of the absolute worst things BL's ever published. Even things like Warp Talons are just included in the background of books since they're new and they want to push them. Notice how the Dreadnoughts in Horus Heresy books are now all Contemptor Dreads, for instance.

Considering these books are all there to promote models of some sort, they're as hit or miss as the rest of them.

Yeah. I liked Fire Warrior a lot, and the Battlefleet Gothic books, too. There are a lot of bad Black Library books, but "written to promote a specific model/range/release" isn't per se indicative of shittiness. I do find the product placement really tiresome on occasion--I feel it really drags down Salvation's Reach, for example. What I really like is when BL stuff drives FW's Horus Heresy releases.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Was the introduction of the raptors in the Night Stalkers series a model thing? Just finished the books and they weren't mentioned at all in the first book and all of a sudden were all over the place in the 2nd and 3rd.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SRM posted:

I'm actually reading the Siege of Castellax and yeah it's pretty terrible. Far as traitor marines go though, I find the Iron Warriors kinda boring. About the only thing about them I dig is their prevalence of obliterators.

e: also to go with the Mechanicus stuff, any of you guys read Priests/Lords/Gods of Mars? What do you guys think of that trilogy? Sorry if it's been discussed but I didn't want to wade through 300+ pages of thread.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 12, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Avernus posted:

I'm actually reading the Siege of Castellax and yeah it's pretty terrible. Far as traitor marines go though, I find the Iron Warriors kinda boring. About the only thing about them I dig is their prevalence of obliterators.

e: also to go with the Mechanicus stuff, any of you guys read Priests/Lords/Gods of Mars? What do you guys think of that trilogy? Sorry if it's been discussed but I didn't want to wade through 300+ pages of thread.
I got 100 pages in before I put that book down for good. For decent takes on the Iron Warriors, Graham McNeil wrote Storm of Iron and then later Angel Exterminatus as part of the Horus Heresy series. He wrote those Mechanicum books you mentioned too, which I've heard good things about. McNeil's at his best when he's writing about robots.

Hunterhr posted:

Was the introduction of the raptors in the Night Stalkers series a model thing? Just finished the books and they weren't mentioned at all in the first book and all of a sudden were all over the place in the 2nd and 3rd.
The raptors sound more like they're based on the old metal models instead of the current plastics, which just look like spiky assault Marines. Raptors have always been pretty prevalent with the Night Lords, so I don't think it's explicitly model-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SRM posted:

I got 100 pages in before I put that book down for good. For decent takes on the Iron Warriors, Graham McNeil wrote Storm of Iron and then later Angel Exterminatus as part of the Horus Heresy series. He wrote those Mechanicum books you mentioned too, which I've heard good things about. McNeil's at his best when he's writing about robots.

The raptors sound more like they're based on the old metal models instead of the current plastics, which just look like spiky assault Marines. Raptors have always been pretty prevalent with the Night Lords, so I don't think it's explicitly model-based.

Angel Exterminatus was good but not because of Perturabo or his Iron Warriors. I dunno the Iron Warriors are just the most boring traitors. Their whole thing is basically "Waaaaaaah we're just as rad as Dorn and the Imperial Fists!!!!"

Just about every other original traitor legion is just so much cooler.