Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
evangelion was never nihilistic and is even less so in rebuild given how massively focused on sin/guilt it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Hideaki Anno posted:

It comes from a Christian word meaning 'Gospel' and it's supposed to bring blessings. It has has some Greek roots. I chose the name because it sounds complicated.

source

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raxivace posted:

With the idea of sacrifice at least, I think it depends how liberally you use the word. I would consider the killing of the Angels a kind of ritualistic sacrifice (Just dressed up in traditional mecha vs. monster combat), though I would understand if others don't agree with that particular reading.

most of the religious imagery in the show isn't meaningless or completely unrelated to its original context, but it is reversed or corrupted. a crucifix normally signifies rebirth, but angels manifest one when they're destroyed forever. misato wears a(n admittedly somewhat ambiguous) christian icon to signify her inability to forgive. the kabbalistic tree of life, which should indicate a joyous union beyond suffering and ego, instead indicates a horrifying void that shinji retreats from. the dead sea scrolls, which in real life are mostly excerpts from and commentary on the bible (i.e. stories about how the world began and instructions on how to live righteously) become a recipe for the apocalypse.

anno knowing what "evangelion" means and assigning it to a robot that brings pain and misery to its pilot and the end of the world to everyone else fits rather neatly into that pattern as well :v:

e: i should apologize, for all that i try to shoot down misattributions it was Kazuya Tsurumaki who disavowed any Christian meaning to eva, not Sadamoto. (and even then if you read the complete interview he's basically being silly and flippant about everything)

quote:

Is there any particular reason why so many Gainax series feature very anxious, unhappy young male protagonists with no parents?

KT: Yes, the directors at Gainax are all basically weak, insecure, bitter, young men. So are many anime fans. Many Japanese families, including my own, have workaholic fathers whose kids never get to see them. That may influence the shows I create.

Could you explain the mecha bursting from Naota's head in FLCL?

KT: I use a giant robot being created from the brain to represent FLCL coming from my brain. The robot ravages the town around him, and the more intensely I worked on FLCL the more I destroyed the peaceful atmosphere of Gainax.

quote:

Do you enjoy confusing people?

KT: I have a twisted sense of humor. I'm an Omanu Jacku, a contrarian. [Writer's note- Omanu Jacku is a folk character a bit like Puck, a mischief maker]

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 3, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

basically "did Anno mean something explicitly Christian?" is a much less interesting question than "what does Evangelion say about questions that also arise in Christianity"

(or in Kabbalah, or in Aum Shinrikyo for that matter)

now that i actually read it this is amazing. it's from Anno making a guest appearance on a TV show where celebrities go back to their hometown to teach a class of elementary school kids for a day.

quote:

The kids are adorable, of course. One proudly announces he's an otaku. Most of them are Eva fans. Before Anno arrives, they are to draw and write what they think he's like, based on their thoughts from watching Eva.

quote:

"What does Rei like?" Otaku boy asks. "I haven't thought about it," is Anno's curt reply.

quote:

"Do you like the anime you make?"

"There's parts I like and parts I don't."

"What parts do you dislike?"

"The parts that I'm in."

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 3, 2015

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

now that i actually read it this is amazing. it's from Anno making a guest appearance on a TV show where celebrities go back to their hometown to teach a class of elementary school kids for a day.

The entire thing is on Youtube, and it's as adorable as it sounds. You can see what a massive inspiration Anno's hometown was for the series, though. The school looks basically identical, and there's a few shots of him on a catwalk above an abandoned mall gazing out at a decaying industrial landscape.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raxivace posted:

They said that they didn't have a "specific Christian meaning" or something along those lines when it came to the religious symbolism, not that it was meaningless.

I just took that to mean they weren't making a comment on contemporary Christianity. Like Misato having a necklace of a cross isn't a comment on Jesus, but just a visual representation of the sacrifice (A concept very related to Jesus) that a) her father made for her, and b) the sacrifice she herself would make to save Shinji in EoE. I feel like most of the religious symbolism can be read in a similar way, where it is abstracted somewhat to be about a broader theme from the religious stories they originate from, but not about Jesus or the Christian God or anyone else from the Bible directly.

Didn't Anno just choose the cross imagery because it looked cool and it all snowballed from there? No literally no symbolism, because symbolism needs to be intended.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Everything in Evangelion has no meaning; it's a miracle we got a seemingly coherent show at all considering the production consisted of long sessions of doing LSD and either splattering paint onto cells Jackson Pollock-style or the staff members painting with the brushes held in their anuses.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Didn't Anno just choose the cross imagery because it looked cool and it all snowballed from there? No literally no symbolism, because symbolism needs to be intended.

It's Tsurumaki that said that, and I think the quote is fairly misunderstood.

Kazuya Tsurumaki posted:

There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us. Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice

I think the key points here are the following:

1) They wanted the show to have a religious theme (!!!)
2) They picked Christian symbolism because it was mysterious/looked cool
3) There is no actual Christian meaning to the show (Tsurumaki's opinion)
4) They might have rethought the use of Christian symbols, if they known about it getting distributed in the U.S. and Europe

I'm generally of the opinion that comments from the creators of works need to be taken with a massive grain of salt as it is (Otherwise you get people arguing that The Birth of a Nation isn't racist just because D.W. Griffith and Lillian Gish says so), but none of this says that Anno just put a bunch of stuff into his show without even thinking about it or researching it at all. It's entirely likely (And I'd say plausible even) that they at least did some basic research on what these things meant after deciding on using Christian symbols, even if they didn't use them to spread a "Christian meaning".

EDIT: Also read Tuxedo Catfish's recent posts in this thread. They're some good poo poo.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 7, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raxivace posted:

It's Tsurumaki that said that, and I think the quote is fairly misunderstood.

I think the key points here are the following:

1) They wanted the show to have a religious theme (!!!)
2) They picked Christian symbolism because it was mysterious/looked cool
3) There is no actual Christian meaning to the show (Tsurumaki's opinion)
4) They might have rethought the use of Christian symbols, if they known about it getting distributed in the U.S. and Europe

I'm generally of the opinion that comments from the creators of works need to be taken with a massive grain of salt as it is (Otherwise you get people arguing that The Birth of a Nation isn't racist just because D.W. Griffith and Lillian Gish says so), but none of this says that Anno just put a bunch of stuff into his show without even thinking about it or researching it at all. It's entirely likely (And I'd say plausible even) that they at least did some basic research on what these things meant after deciding on using Christian symbols, even if they didn't use them to spread a "Christian meaning".
I really think they did a good job of connecting Christianity to the Eva mythos, I was really surprised when I read that quote. Just the naming of the angels Sahaquiel, Arazael, etc. were all really inspired. Even calling them angels was great. I'm not a religious person whatsoever but I really enjoyed it being woven into this story.

I mean cmon:

Zero symbolism here, no sir.

After watching the series then reading that quote it's a real head scratcher how they managed to do all that by coincidence...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, I don't think that Eva works if you're expecting it to be some deep gnostic treatise on the nature of christ or a simple christ allegory with Shinji as Jesus, but like Catfish said, its preoccupation with dealing with past sins/mistakes and determining how one should live or define one's own self worth in the aftermath certainly isn't the sort of thing that's alien to Christian philosophy. At least, not to mine.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

^Yeah, I think we're all basically saying something along that line.

Shinji is really only comparable to Jesus in EoE where he actually does end up on the cross (Unless I'm remembering the symbol wrong and it's actually the Tree of Life or something the MP Evas trap him and EVA-01 in), though like with what Catfish was saying about inversions, Shinji doesn't fulfill the typical role of saving humanity by sacrificing himself. Instead he sacrifices his sense of "self" while damning the surviving humans on the planet to bring about Instrumentality (Whether he realizes that's what he's doing or not), and then poo poo really hits the fan there. And then EVA-01 becomes a goddess or something and y'all know the rest.

I guess Shinji is most comparable to Scorsese's conflicted version of Jesus in The Last Temptation of Christ, though even he learns to reject his own illusory world/desires to fulfill the typical Jesus narrative in that film.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 7, 2015

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

It's funny, 'cos to an inhabitant of the Eva fictional universe, all this symbolism has been completely denatured of mystic significance. The Latin cross isn't a symbol of sun, fire, or sacrifice - it's just a property of an explosion, just shrapnel. Stigmata is a documented symptom of "mental contamination". When the weird Lovecraftian abominations make a complete mockery of physics, Ritsuko only freaks out because one of her papers has just been debunked. You get the sense that scrawled on a blackboard somewhere in NERV HQ is a complex mathematical equation that dispassionately describes the human soul; in the series there's at least one exchange that can be paraphrased as: "Oh, I guess the kid didn't psychologically fuse with the giant cyborg hellbeast. gently caress it; reboot; try again."

Wachter fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 8, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's probably my favourite thing about Evangelion, it's a world where the metaphysical has been rendered into a maths equation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I really need to see The Last Temptation of Christ already. My parents took me to a showing in theaters when I was a baby, but obviously I don't remember anything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really need to see The Last Temptation of Christ already. My parents took me to a showing in theaters when I was a baby, but obviously I don't remember anything.

That's, uh, an interesting film to take a baby to lol.

It's a really good film though. Criterion has a pretty excellent Blu-Ray of it out. The original release of it back in the 1980's was pretty whacky too; there's a great book about it called Hollywood Under Siege.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 8, 2015

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Lorenz did Second Impact, meteorites can't change global weather patterns

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Wachter posted:

It's funny, 'cos to an inhabitant of the Eva fictional universe, all this symbolism has been completely denatured of mystic significance. The Latin cross isn't a symbol of sun, fire, or sacrifice - it's just a property of an explosion, just shrapnel. Stigmata is a documented symptom of "mental contamination". When the weird Lovecraftian abominations make a complete mockery of physics, Ritsuko only freaks out because one of her papers has just been debunked. You get the sense that scrawled on a blackboard somewhere in NERV HQ is a complex mathematical equation that dispassionately describes the human soul; in the series there's at least one exchange that can be paraphrased as: "Oh, I guess the kid didn't psychologically fuse with the giant cyborg hellbeast. gently caress it; reboot; try again."

Exactly. Part of the fun of Eva isn't just that's it's mad science, it's abomination science! Technological blasphemies! there is a god, AND WE CAN CLONE HIM!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Exactly. Part of the fun of Eva isn't just that's it's mad science, it's abomination science! Technological blasphemies! there is a god, AND WE CAN CLONE HIM!

*75 attempts later*
"Okay gently caress this, just patch it together with robotics and get it breathing."

*20 more attempts later*
"We can force a heartbeat but it's permanently comatose."
"Then grab that calculator and add soul plus abomination and figure it the gently caress out!"

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

For all the Grand Guignol and overt psychedelic horror, all the really grim, mind-shattering poo poo happens off screen or is only hinted at obliquely. You can only really guess at the process of building/growing an EVA, and the mass grave of the malformed Unit-00 abortions is one of the most unsettling parts of the whole show. I also found the flashback to Yui's contact experiment in 3.33 troubling, despite the fact that you only see the first few seconds of it, and Yui's was supposed to have been the successful one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Might be time to watch 3.33 again, I was waiting for the bluray release but LOL

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I caved and imported the BD from China. It has english subs so I guess it's worth it

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Wachter posted:

For all the Grand Guignol and overt psychedelic horror, all the really grim, mind-shattering poo poo happens off screen or is only hinted at obliquely. You can only really guess at the process of building/growing an EVA, and the mass grave of the malformed Unit-00 abortions is one of the most unsettling parts of the whole show. I also found the flashback to Yui's contact experiment in 3.33 troubling, despite the fact that you only see the first few seconds of it, and Yui's was supposed to have been the successful one.

Rei growing up in a concrete box in the depths of Nerv HQ. :smith:

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

It should be in the op.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!!!
http://youtu.be/ocmzDO-vBR8

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You know it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I finally finished reading the last two volumes of Sadamoto's Eva manga.

Last chapter was a bit weak what with the reset button or whatever it was but I still prefer the whole thing over the anime by a lot.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've recently finished watching this series for the first time (the first time I ever tried, I only got as far as episode 13 or so). I've written a review, it's a bit of a long post though, so I apologise in advance.

quote:

Well, a friend of mine and I have been watching (rewatching for him) Evangelion in the past few weeks. I’ve never finished watching this show, so I was curious to finally experience what seems to stand astride the world of Japanese cartoon fandom like a towering colossus. After having finished all twenty six episodes of the original show, the End of Evangelion feature film, and some of the Rebuild films, I can finally sum up my opinion of it all. And, in one sentence it is:

Slightly annoying.

I will concentrate my focus on the End of Evangelion film, which seems, it is apparently intended, to serve as a capstone to the series, and which, as will be revealed in my critique, essentially encapsulates every aspect good and bad, for which the show specifically and the franchise in general, can be critiqued.

Overall, l that it was a completely ludicrous and nonsensical film.The logic of the film is essentially circular. While watching the over ninety minutes of lavishly-animated cartoon violence and alternately still scenes of characters babbling to each other in vaguely apocalyptic tones over surreal imagery, the viewer slips into a Groundhog-Day-Esque trance – “Haven’t I heard them say this line before already? Why do they keep talking over and over about love this and hating yourself that?” Then cuts to more grotesque scenes of disembowelment, and after a while, more cheaply-animated introspection where every character narrates in the same sophomoric pseudo-philosophical stream of consciousness that aspires towards the erudite but instead collapses into gauche sophistry.

And what of the plot? What plot there is is clouded behind a veil of cliched sappy Hallmark Greeting Card-like romantic babble about learning to love other people or forgive oneself, or whatever; or vaguely apocalyptic abstract implications wrapped up in a package of cargo-cult Christian esoterica. SEELE is attacking NERV for reasons that are elided over in less than three seconds of dialogue. We don’t really care, though, since all pretense of reason and logic are thrown out in the first ten minutes in favor of delighting in a festival of meaningless arbitrary violence.

There’s something having to do with alien creatures that are actually humans, and some kind of black moon that is supposedly the origin of humanity. Angels are “humans that rejected human form” – whatever that means. This revelation, by the way, is given to us as Major Katsuragi drives Shinji to the base which she is quite aware is under attack, and is headed towards certain death, rendering abstract considerations such as the origins of their supposed enemies (heretofore the entire motivation for the show) completely irrelevant.

Unimportant. Perhaps because the focus is supposedly on the characters and their growth and motivation. What motivation? What growth? Does characterization, according to Hideako Anno, consist of a character standing there and explaining their tragic backstory to us? Ultimately, it was unclear to me what all the characters’ motivations actually were. Why is anyone doing anything? Why do they think their actions make sense? In a story motivated by the characters there is surprisingly little growth or development – they simply spin in their places like tops, growing more and more despondent for seemingly no good reason at all besides the fact that the plot is dragging them to their doom. The plot, which, lurches forwards in the same way the biomechanical monsters that attack NERV do – animated with mechanical jerks, but with no clear aim or purpose, tottering ahead like zombies.

It felt shallow and manipulative, as if the creators were purposefully trying to wow the audience with trivia, Lovecraftian mysticism, and erotic imagery. In fact, my major feeling through this watching was generally one of disappointment and annoyance – that this supposedly “legendary” mature anime series was actually just rather trite and juvenile.

However, I can see why it became the object of obsession for an entire generation of anime watchers, since, at adolescence, they’re almost certainly the type to be taken by this kind of pseudo-mystical psychobabble.

Nevertheless, it was a great deal more entertaining than the last 2 or 3 episodes of the show. It had a great deal of interesting animation and the beautiful, surreal imagery is certainly a feast for the eyes.

In the end, what surprises me more than anything was how, even to this day, thousands of anime watchers spent countless years and spilled volumes of writing in discussing this show, which, in my estimation, is only a confused morass of philosophical dressing atop a lurid tossed salad of fanservice. Perhaps they saw something in it that I did not.

The End of Evangelion film was, according to some, a pitched meditation by director Hideaki Anno as a response to fan criticism of the show. And perhaps the fact that the fans have obsessed about this show with a passion bordering on the obscene is the most compelling lesson that is to be learned from the entire franchise. That people can be entranced and obsessed, Narcissus-like, by the most hollow of fantasies masquerading as substance. Perhaps the entire fandom is like Gendo Ikari, lusting after a vague dream of reuniting with his dead wife only to accomplish nothing of value in the end. If this were the case, then the fact that the franchise has endured as this edifice on the landscape of anime would indeed be the most elegiac meta-commentary of all.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Franchise: 6/10

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Alright.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That review is awful.

EDIT: Like I don't even have a response to someone that says the characters had no motivation or didn't change across the show.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 25, 2015

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Some people like Eva, others don't.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zeruel posted:

Some people like Eva, others don't.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Zeruel posted:

Some people like Eva, others don't know any better.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Why is is that spergs always have to write loving thesis papers whenever they review something? Is it just when they end up liking something less than everyone else seems to so they feel they have to prove their opinion is the correct one? gently caress, no one gives a poo poo what you think, like what you like, dislike what you dislike, there's never a need to write something as long and pretentious as that garbage.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Given that it's Eva he's writing about, the review is actually really short.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Why is is that spergs always have to write loving thesis papers whenever they review something? Is it just when they end up liking something less than everyone else seems to so they feel they have to prove their opinion is the correct one? gently caress, no one gives a poo poo what you think, like what you like, dislike what you dislike, there's never a need to write something as long and pretentious as that garbage.

Why post anything ever?

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

DrSunshine posted:

the same sophomoric pseudo-philosophical stream of consciousness that aspires towards the erudite but instead collapses into gauche sophistry.

:irony:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I've recently finished watching this series for the first time (the first time I ever tried, I only got as far as episode 13 or so). I've written a review.

:mediocre:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Eva is good/Eva is bad.

Relax, your all alive after all, so you will always have a chance to poo poo post.

As long as Eva, sperging and trolling exist, everything will be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Eva is (not) good.

FTFY