Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SquadronROE posted:

Although I really don't know what the deal was with the crows and the people-on-stilts-crow-things? were all about.

As someone so eloquently said earlier, it's probably a good thing they didn't stop to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Anyone who thinks society will just become a pleasant farming village when the oil runs out has clearly never seen what happened to Brazil after that bad World Cup ref call, or Boston when the Red Sox won the World Series.

Society is held together by toothpicks and bubblegum. The roving bands of marauders fueled by rape and murder are an omnipresent threat.

Not only is history full of poo poo like the goths, mongolians, barbarians, Vikings, etc., but even in the last few decades look at how easy it was for the Khmer Rouge and Boco Haram and the Taliban to take power.

If the electricity in the US went out for a month the rape and cannibalism would start while we still had food and water. Humans are loving insane.

Libya and Syria have both basically become the Road Warrior IRL. Cobbled together war rigs, slavery, rape, cults of personality, and wholesale murder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

He's been accused of being a troll, I just think he's subconsciously a contrarian. Rather than deliberately hating on the popular thing/praising the unpopular thing he seems to do it without realizing. Even then his views are always interesting to read and he comes in with a really unique, although often wrong, take on the film. And he does occasionally align with consensus.

Nah, he's a troll. Like Roger Ebert defended him for a bit and then people pointed out the trolling and Ebert went "Welp, poo poo."

There's nothing wrong with being contrarian but White basically finds an excuse to go against the grain even when it leads to him writing some really dumb poo poo because that gets hits.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The water was irradiated or bad, so they could not walk in it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TrixRabbi posted:

Armond White. He called out Toy Story 3 for being a crass cash-in on nostalgia and effectively a 100-minute toy commercial (which to be fair is totally accurate, even if you like the movie). He was never banned from the tomatometer though. He left his current publication to start his own and so his reviews stopped showing up on the site due to his change of venue. Also I think it was his positive review of Adam Sandler's Jack & Jill that was the last of his online.

He's been accused of being a troll, I just think he's subconsciously a contrarian. Rather than deliberately hating on the popular thing/praising the unpopular thing he seems to do it without realizing. Even then his views are always interesting to read and he comes in with a really unique, although often wrong, take on the film. And he does occasionally align with consensus.

His Fury Road review is pretty awful, though. He barely says anything about the film.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wrong thread

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 18, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

As someone so eloquently said earlier, it's probably a good thing they didn't stop to find out.

It reminds me of Star Wars and the EU. Back in the day, you go into the cantina and there's all these hosed up, awesome looking aliens and you're like "WHOA WHAT IS THAT OH MAN THAT THING'S COOL TOO WHOA", and now we've reached an era where every single one of those creatures has a 12 paragraph backstory and most of them are secretly in tune with the force.

It's a cool detail that adds to the world, even with all the craziness of the world and these religious biker gangs and Thunderdomes, there's still poo poo out there that makes Max go "What the hell was that thing?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

"Without fuel they were nothing. They'd built a house of straw. The thundering machines sputtered and stopped. Their leaders talked and talked and talked, but nothing could stem the avalanche. Their world crumbled. Cities exploded — a whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear. Men began to feed on men."

I liked the little bursts of poetry in this, especially from the Bullet Farmer. It's one of my favorite aspects of the whole series:

quote:

Listen all! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was drat near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Bartertown learned. Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Mmm I've just been savoring this movie since I saw it. It's like I went on a good vacation.

Power of cinema, baby.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
The name Corpus Collosus is a rather ironic name given the character. I bet Immortan picked it before he was born.

"What are you going to call him?"
"CORPUS COLLOSUS!"
"Congratulations it's... A modok baby."
"MEDIOCRE!"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Does anyone remember the quote at the end? The whole theater went quiet when it suddenly crept up.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I liked the little bursts of poetry in this, especially from the Bullet Farmer. It's one of my favorite aspects of the whole series:

Everything related to the Bullet Farmer was amazing. The ironic use of Verdi's Dies Irae was fantastic.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah I loved hearing that in the movie since it was used so well in the trailer.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

euphronius posted:

STOP USING REPLY ALL YOU INFINITE FUCKS

mediocre

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Batham posted:

mediocre

Meant for the chat thread, I am shamed.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Crappy Jack posted:

It reminds me of Star Wars and the EU. Back in the day, you go into the cantina and there's all these hosed up, awesome looking aliens and you're like "WHOA WHAT IS THAT OH MAN THAT THING'S COOL TOO WHOA", and now we've reached an era where every single one of those creatures has a 12 paragraph backstory and most of them are secretly in tune with the force.

It's a cool detail that adds to the world, even with all the craziness of the world and these religious biker gangs and Thunderdomes, there's still poo poo out there that makes Max go "What the hell was that thing?"

Exactly. It's sad that having weird poo poo to populate a strange world needs so much scrutiny now.

Example: why the gently caress do we need everything to be an origin story? Why were there two 3 hour long Spider-man films about his dead dad being a secret scientist for Oscorp and every single character has this labyrinthine interconnecting backstory? gently caress that. No one cares.

Mos Eisley was full of criminals. Inside the cantina there's weird aliens. Done. Universe established. Commence being a hugely popular multi-billion dollar franchise.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
Felt the need to make this smilie test as it had me in fits.

A Photoshop wizard might get something better.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Here's another bad review from the manosphere. Fury Road is bullshit feminist propaganda because it has Charlie Therzon barking orders to her sidekick Max.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
This is like the first movie where a plan Max proposes/decides on doesn't end in tears and personal tragedy. In the previous two movies he's been at his best grudgingly agreeing to a plan someone else put together.

A lot of these feminist propaganda guys seem to mix up Max with their latest 'kill everyone' run of Fallout.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Baron Bifford posted:

Here's another bad review from the manosphere. Fury Road is bullshit feminist propaganda because it has Charlie Therzon barking orders to her sidekick Max.

This was like the first terrible review that came out, everybody was laughing at it while they got hyped up for the movie. Because, you know, if there's anything that Mad Max doesn't do, it's get bossed around by people.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

peppermoth posted:

Is a troll review anything that you don't agree with?

While watching 'Rage' cosplayer guy drop the gun after his chain got caught on the platform was kinda funny, the 'mediocre' put down was stupid, and didn't really seem applicable. I guess if he just shot him then and there for failing we wouldn't have got the only 'tender' moment in the whole film half an hour later.

The one to one relationship between terrible opinions and excessive game references holds true.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

Feminism ruined that fine traditional American culture icon mad max you say!

Yep, that Seppo can sure go get hosed.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The reviewer thinks the Mad Max franchise was co-opted by feminists, but ignores the fact that all four movies, including Fury Road, have been made by the same writer-director. Max has always been George Miller's baby.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Can someone tell all these MRAs how Max's dead son Sprog is now a dead daughter for maximum masculine maelstrom?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It really lends to the mythical nature of the characters and series and is something I love as well. The entire narration for Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior is one of my favorite opening voice overs to anything. In Fury Road I really liked how one of the wives, The Dag has almost no lines but talks in super sarcastic flowery speech all the time. I can't even remember the line exactly, but when she questions if the entire Immortan convoy is in the distance or if it's just a mirage she has this great line that's like "Is that an entire convoy in the distance or a merely a treacherous vexation?" :3:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

MinibarMatchman posted:

Does anyone remember the quote at the end? The whole theater went quiet when it suddenly crept up.

The quote is attributed to something called 'The First History Man' which so far I have found no record of online.

I would assume that the implication here is that somehow humanity claws it's way back on top, or at least to a point where books start being written again.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm guessing it's a fictional quote. It wasn't at all memorable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Monster w21 Faces posted:

The quote is attributed to something called 'The First History Man' which so far I have found no record of online.

Good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Speaking of the baby - is the surgeon the same guy as the Pop Tarts guy from Insidious?

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
:negative:

1. Pitch Perfect 2, Universal, $70.3 million
2. Mad Max: Fury Road, Warner Bros., $44.4 million
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron, Disney, $38.8 million ($372 million domestic total)
4. Hot Pursuit, Warner Bros/MGM-New Line, $5.7 million ($23.4 million domestic total)
5. Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (Sony), $3.6 million ($62.9 million domestic total)

I know that this comes with the territory of being rated R, but loving seriously?

I'm hoping WOM will do for this film what the marketing couldn't (not implying that it wasn't well marketed).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Video game reference in the first statement. My thesis holds true!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
One of the more interesting parts of Mad Max is that you really don't have conflicts over scarcity. There's still plenty of oil for everyone's needs, plenty of clean water, plenty of energy. The big issues are people hoarding- hoarding power, hoarding wealth, hoarding survival. The end of each movie then shows the return of civilization, defined as a willingness to treat other people decently.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

pookerbug posted:

4. Hot Pursuit, Warner Bros/MGM-New Line, $5.7 million ($23.4 million domestic total)

I know that this comes with the territory of being rated R, but loving seriously?

I'm hoping WOM will do for this film what the marketing couldn't (not implying that it wasn't well marketed).

This shouldn't actually surprise anyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The funny thing about the MRA bullshit is that the film is actually drat male-positive.

It's a refutation of the aggressive masculinity-driven culture but at the same time it paints the warboys as victims of that culture, not willing participants. It emphasizes that what they needed wasn't being killed but empathy and kindness and the ability to express themselves rather than being driven towards violence by their culture and rather-unsubtly by a father figure who considers them mediocre if they make a misstep. Max's own journey isn't much different. It isn't about Men Are Bad but that the violence-driven culture is actually bad for both men and women.

It's absolutely an anti-patriarchy film but A is not necessarily B.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Warner Brothers doesn't expect Fury Road to do Avengers money, I don't get this hand wringing about box office. It's going to be an international/long tail money maker and positions a franchise with a really good movie, which seems to be what the studio wanted.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Fretting over PP2 grossing higher than Mad Max is like being surprised and upset when Katy Perry sells more tickets than Gogol Bordello. They're aimed at completely different markets/demographics.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pookerbug posted:

Its going to make plenty of money, relax.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TerminalSaint posted:

Fretting over PP2 grossing higher than Mad Max is like being surprised and upset when Katy Perry sells more tickets than Gogol Bordello. They're aimed at completely different markets/demographics.

Also movies like PP2 normally do really well initially and then drop off since the audience for it loves it but the movie is not really converting people

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Go look at the opening weekend for Batman Begins:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=batmanbegins.htm

Yeah yeah yeah inflation and all (20%) but...

Now look at it's sequel:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=darkknight.htm

This is the game Warner is playing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

weekly font posted:

This shouldn't actually surprise anyone.

I'm not surprised pitch perfect 2 was number 1. I am a little surprised at how much goddamn money it made. And I don't mean that in a negative way, just 70 million is a lot of money, dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

StoicFnord posted:

Felt the need to make this smilie test as it had me in fits.

A Photoshop wizard might get something better.

I like it.

I just need a gif of Immortan Joe with "MEDIOCRE" in all caps so I can use it as a reaction to, well, almost everything.

• Locked thread