Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, everything you guys are saying is right (except for I RIDE DUNES OKAY guy). I'm gonna add one other thing. I posted earlier about the sense of danger I felt for everyone of the good guys. I also felt a tremendous amount of emotion for them too, like tears in my eyes, way more than I thought for a movie made out of engine grease. I was pulled hard out of my seat by the power and weight of the movie's many arcs and character lines, and I don't think I was alone, even if it didn't register consciously on some people maybe.

What a fucker of a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ramsus posted:

Not on the side of a dune. It's hard as gently caress especially if you have a bunch of supplies on it. I concede a granny could ride down a hill.

Perhaps they should have taken inspiration from the Feral Kid's dumb boomerang for better realism.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Shageletic posted:

I just want to pipe about how powerful this movie is. I looked around the theater during the third act, and everyone's eyes were glued to the screen, fingers scraping against their armrests, nary a word or a cellphone light to be seen, in a theater that's kinda notorious for that kind of thing. The power of flamethrowers and grenade spears I guess.

Someone's phone went off in my theater and they were sacrificed to Immortan Joe.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
My theater on Saturday only had 15 people in it, and we were the youngest by half in our late 20s. Most folks were greyhairs who were chatting about seeing Road Warrior in theaters before it started, including a couple old dudes going solo who looked like they might've just walked out of the desert with wrinkly leather skin and white ponytails. People were cracking up throughout the movie in enjoyment, at the sheer craziness of every new character and design that would appear. After the first big chase sequence when it's quiet and Max is in the sand, several people just broke out chuckling in a "well we just watched that sequence happen" sort of way.

And some old folks clapped with glee at the end, so that isn't just a millennial thing or whatever. Did some chatting with them in the hall after about it since the place was pretty empty. I had a lot of fun, I don't mind theater noise and it's a bit more knowing than kids cheering out during Avengers. Some ladies in their 30s were in the DBOX seats and I kept hearing reaction laughs during the rough chase scenes, might try out those seats if I see it again.

e: Meaning to contrast the "awe of silence" other people experienced.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 18, 2015

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ramsus posted:

wrong, and this chase is better than any convoluted mess in fury road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REAni_fAA-c
and everything i saw is possible

really? cause I just saw max with such agility and perception that he could predict WHEN to break so the arrow of the other dude hit his pal. I thought he was a cripple!!!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Why are we having a discussion about realism again?

If someone wants to be that nitpicky and destroy their own enjoyment of a good film, let them. I'm just happy I don't have to experience movies that way.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
because it's been the main source of discussion of these forums since day one
can't escape it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ramsus posted:

wrong, and this chase is better than any convoluted mess in fury road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REAni_fAA-c
and everything i saw is possible

Except the air intake and button push supercharger was completely fabricated prop. So no, it was not actually possible.

I'm in a class with kids mostly 15-18 years younger than me and most did not like it because they couldnt figure out what was going on. Seriously.

Most of them saw FF7 and thought it was amazing and lusted after the vehicles. I saw FF7 with them and they got annoyed I was laughing through the whole movie from all the ridiculous punishment they put the cars through. THAT poo poo made no sense.

Also did that dumb poster earlier not know the value of O- blood with transfusions? I had to explain that to almost all the kids today.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 18, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Shadow225 posted:

There is a grief that goes unspoken for my $10.50 and 2 hours. I struggle to think of a movie that I hated more.
lmao

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mikeraskol posted:

If someone wants to be that nitpicky and destroy their own enjoyment of a good film, let them. I'm just happy I don't have to experience movies that way.

But movies are video game bosses and I have to defeat them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I guess for some it's a source of anthropological curiosity - "how can one be such a miserable poo poo?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mikeraskol posted:

There's someone we need to make fun of.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

TerminalSaint posted:

Mad Max Of Mars?

poo poo, now I was Frazetta was still alive to do Mad Max paintings.

Fixed to more properly represent Hypermasculine Atomic Hero Mad Max Who Doesn't Take Orders.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

drunkill posted:

Here are the (major) filming locations for Mad Max 1-3.

Just to be the sperging Mad Max shitcunt I am, I have to make this more accurate.
MM1: Outskirts of Melbourne and Geelong (When they got in trouble for filming around Melbourne)
MM2: Silverton (Tiny town very close to Broken Hill)
MM3: Majority of locations filmed in and around Sydney (Glebe, Kurnell, Homebush, Katoomba) with a chunk of the final act filmed in Coober Pedy in South Australia.

Also: South Western Australia doesn't have dirt.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
All the Mad Max movies are basically postapoc spaghetti Westerns- they rely on a similar distortion of reality while maintaining a "gritty" appearance.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A good article:

http://thiscageisworms.com/2015/05/18/evocation-without-the-dead-weight-of-explanation-on-mad-max-fury-road/

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Article made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y

100% agreed.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Witness me!

:mediocre:

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Saw it again today in 2D this time, using the excuse that I needed to see both to compare (personal opinion that 2D is better because the better colours make up for the lack of some depth).

I only saw Age of Ultron like a week or two back and while I remember both movies very clearly nothing about AoU makes me think "yeah I need to see this on the big screen" except maybe the Hulkbuster fight which is over in what, two minutes?* Whereas with Fury Road I can think of like five things I really really want to see again before it leaves cinemas.

*And spoiled all to hell and back. Between trailers and clips we'd seen half of the fight before the movie was even out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

gently caress yes.

gently caress.

Yes.

Electromax posted:

To be fair, when they said "we're making Mad Max 4" in 2010, everyone pretty much said this with Road Warrior instead of Fury Road. If it's the same crew and the same passion in effort but bigger/crazier, it isn't that unlikely.

It's not entirely unlikely, you're right. I suppose I'm so jaded by the slew of lacklustre sequels to great movies or even sequels to good reboots that I'm not holding my breath. Again, like I said before I hope I'm incredibly wrong. I mean you're right, there was no way for any of us, even the most optimistic, to know ahead of time that Fury Road would turn out the way it did.

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm in a class with kids mostly 15-18 years younger than me and most did not like it because they couldnt figure out what was going on. Seriously.

Most of them saw FF7 and thought it was amazing and lusted after the vehicles. I saw FF7 with them and they got annoyed I was laughing through the whole movie from all the ridiculous punishment they put the cars through. THAT poo poo made no sense.

Welp, that seals the deal for me. Nuke this gay earth and let these kids fend for themselves in a world forged in fire and blood because if this is the next generation, then we're all screwed anyway.

Ramsus posted:

-senses lizard approaching, focuses chi, stomps, kicks sideways scooping it to hand, eats

This is my favorite dumb criticism that I've read here or anywhere and I can't stress enough how stupid it is that this scene bothered you so much. Have you never played with a footbag or anything? poo poo's not goddamn superhuman.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Skull mouth doesn't drop open, 5/10.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

AndyElusive posted:

Welp, that seals the deal for me. Nuke this gay earth and let these kids fend for themselves in a world forged in fire and blood because if this is the next generation, then we're all screwed anyway.

There will always be idiot teenagers, ignore them. What you should be paying attention to is the fact that SOMEWHERE out there, some young boy or girl has just watched Fury Road and thinks to themself "I want to make movies".

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Cephalocidal posted:

Skull mouth doesn't drop open, 5/10.

Would you say it's...

Middling?

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

There is a grief that goes unspoken for my $10.50 and 2 hours. I struggle to think of a movie that I hated more.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

There will always be idiot teenagers, ignore them. What you should be paying attention to is the fact that SOMEWHERE out there, some young boy or girl has just watched Fury Road and thinks to themself "I want to make movies".

I can't. Because of those FF7 loving/MM:FR hating kids and Pro Dune Riding Ramsus, I just want to see the world burn.

Maybe I should do what Lord Humungus suggested in The Road Warrior and just walk away (from this computer).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For anyone who missed it, here's a 2 hour seminar by the cinematographers detailing how Fury Road was filmed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm stoked to see this, and my girlfriend is too, but she has a question. Are there dogs, and do they die? This is very important. We tried watching the first one the other night. I'd forgotten about the bit in the forest. She didn't watch the movie past that point.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
^ No dogs. Road Warrior had a :krad: dog though.

Some tumbler pics

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 19, 2015

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The only tactical realism thing that bothered me (well, bothered is a bad word; more like that I noticed) was that Charlize Theron was the only one without an Australian accent.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Unmature posted:

The only tactical realism thing that bothered me (well, bothered is a bad word; more like that I noticed) was that Charlize Theron was the only one without an Australian accent.

Did anyone in Fury Road have an actual Australian accent?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

She came from somewhere else.

Also there's no water because the other hemisphere is Snow Piercer.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

effectual posted:

^ No dogs. Road Warrior had a :krad: dog though.

...and it died.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

YESSSSSS

AndyElusive posted:

Did anyone in Fury Road have an actual Australian accent?

Ace, the older War Boy that kept checking on Furiosa. He had a glorious accent.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Just got back from seeing this in IMAX 3D. Christ, what a film.

More blockbusters could stand to be so pared down.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Ramsus posted:

I like Mad Max
Love The Road Warrior and grew up watching it.
Hated Beyond Thunderdome.
Was disappointed with Fury Road.

When the movie started and he stomped on a two headed lizard that he couldn't have known was there and somehow kicks it up to his hand I knew there was going to be a lot of nonesense. A big one that really took me out of it was when he was hanging upside down out the war rig and was kicked right side up and 6 feet to the side and onto another semi truck. Eyes about rolled out my head. The original movies didn't have any of this zany comic book movie fuckery.

This article pretty much sums up my feelings about the movie though http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/mad-max-fury-road-is-bad/

It's a shame. I really wanted to like this movie, and I grew up loving the Road Warrior. But I just didn't care about any of the characters in this one, and nothing they were doing made any sense. Where they came from and the civilization that they had made didn't make any sense either. The movie had some cool vehicles or whatever, but the movie as a whole was a mess.

Holy poo poo that Daily Dot article is the worst. Everyone needs to have contrarian opinions. Well yeah great if there was any legitimate to say. gently caress, that was such a troll article.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

My favorite part of that review is whether or not Max should have an opinion about being strapped to a car.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
I just remembered this while rewatching Road Warrior and hearing the titular line...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhMBsQ3LtSU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

• Locked thread