Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parara
Apr 9, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

dude is so happy to be in mad max :3: https://instagram.com/qkenihan/

I really hope one of these comics will be about Rictus and Corpus. Best bros :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I thought it was:

"You've done this before?"

"Yeah, many times."

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Neo Rasa posted:

I thought it was:

"You've done this before?"

"Yeah, many times."

It is, I just couldn't resist an opportunity to shoehorn a Big Trouble In Little China reference into a post, even if it muddled the point I was trying to make.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Triskelli posted:

Dealing with that stuff every day, I see people in their 40s and 50s using it. It's probably oxygen on Rictus and Corpus, and Rictus's backpack is probably a wasteland portable concentrator. Or considering how fuckhueg he is, a 30 pound in-home model he has strapped to his back.

Aw man, what if Immortan's mask was a continuous positive airway pressure machine? Will definitely need to check on rewatch.

There's machines for that? Can you elaborate? I know nothing of medical equipment and have been idly wondering how complicated it would be to actually like, obtain/refill oxygen bottles or whatever that was. I know I'm overthinking it but I'm curious now how...scavengable this sort of medical kit is.

Edit: I meant Rictus's backpack unit. Concentrator?

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 19, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Psykmoe posted:

There's machines for that? Can you elaborate? I know nothing of medical equipment and have been idly wondering how complicated it would be to actually like, obtain/refill oxygen bottles or whatever that was. I know I'm overthinking it but I'm curious now how...scavengable this sort of medical kit is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_positive_airway_pressure

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

CelticPredator posted:

Fury Road just makes me want to make movies.

Yeah, that was the strongest feeling I had walking out of the theater.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Psykmoe posted:

These things are all over the place in nursing homes. They're used for for people who need 2-10 liters of concentrated oxygen.

Rictus' backpack is all that with the plastic frame and wheels and junk removed.

E: And Joe seems to have a scavenged CPAP (wiki link above), which instead of breathing passively like a nasal cannula (Corpus and Rictus), forces the pressurized O2 into the patient's lungs.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 19, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I actually timed the car chases in this movie to get a scale for how much action there is. I'm counting from when either the first action begins or when the music kicks into high gear and ending when the first quiet moment or dialogue begins after the final crash.

War Rig vs. Buzzards and into the dust storm: 10 minutes and 30 seconds.

Rock Riders and The Big Foot: 8 minutes.

Final chase: 16 minutes and 4 seconds.

In terms of action, just the three big car chases (not including the night scenes or the fistfight) take up over 34 minutes of screen time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Miller was a doctor so I just kind of assume a lot of that stuff had a basis in real life medicine.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

I figured he was on a steady drip of whatever combat drugs were in the berserker chrome spraypaint.

There aren't any drugs besides the traditional pastime of huffing paint to get high. The berserker effect is all psychosomatic. Religion, here, is the amphetamines of the masses.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

One of my favorite things in this movie is how twitchy Max is. His arc from snarling feral to something resembling a man is fantastic, but even at the end he's still weird and twitchy and has all these tics when he's sitting still. Hardy does so much physical acting with just his face and his gestures. The guy is a hell of an actor.

Heath Ledger's Joker was also like this; maybe that's why they were considering him originally.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, really great moment I missed on the first viewing. During the final chase when Max takes Coma's guitar to use as a weapon, he hits Coma to keep him from struggling to get it back...but then tosses it back to him anyway so he can board the War Rig. Coma just goes right back to rocking out.

And Coma actually has at least one line in the film: he lets out a rocker falsetto scream.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Efexeye posted:

There's dialogue in the truck where Max asks Furiosa if she even knows the Green Place exists and it's mentioned in the conversation that she's "done this many times". Did I mishear something?

I think they just mean the general "drive a rig away from pusuers". The 'many times' line comes a bit apart from the 'green place exists' question btw.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
This film is about to test my marriage. Met a friend who's a dealership mechanic for an early lunch and was telling him how badly he needs to see the movie. At some point I was joking about how I feel like less of a man for not owning a V8 anymore, which turned in to him selling me an 07 police interceptor for cheap. My wife is due back in an hour and I really wish I had a spiked leather thong and a hockey mask to help bolster my augment that it was an absolutely necessary purchase.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Frankenstyle posted:

This film is about to test my marriage. Met a friend who's a dealership mechanic for an early lunch and was telling him how badly he needs to see the movie. At some point I was joking about how I feel like less of a man for not owning a V8 anymore, which turned in to him selling me an 07 police interceptor for cheap. My wife is due back in an hour and I really wish I had a spiked leather thong and a hockey mask to help bolster my augment that it was an absolutely necessary purchase.

if she gets mad sever

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, really great moment I missed on the first viewing. During the final chase when Max takes Coma's guitar to use as a weapon, he hits Coma to keep him from struggling to get it back...but then tosses it back to him anyway so he can board the War Rig. Coma just goes right back to rocking out.

And Coma actually has at least one line in the film: he lets out a rocker falsetto scream.

You're not much of a Doof Warrior if you can't fight a crazy guy to the death and then totally go back to slaying it on your flamethrower dual guitar bass. :black101: :rock:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Frankenstyle posted:

There's still time to buy those!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Frankenstyle posted:

the gift that keeps on giving

also you don't already own a spiked leather thong?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Neo Rasa posted:

Upon close inspection, I think he actually is wearing one!!! Look at the burnt up star on his arm. :aaaaa:

That's not an MFP badge, those look like this:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Frankenstyle posted:

Even if you or your marriage do not survive, your interceptor will be waiting in Valhalla for you.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

the gift that keeps on giving

also you don't already own a spiked leather thong?

Used to, but it kept tearing up my khakis when I wore it to work.

tyler274
Jul 1, 2014
I'm going to go see the film again tonight, does anyone have any parts I should pay special attention to now for detail?

The movie on a whole was exactly was it was aiming to be; explosive action with just enough plot to give these characters motivation that's not power of friendship. I have not seen any prior Mad Max films so I wasn't sure who the girl was in his flashbacks, I'm not sure if she ever called him dad or similar, will be something to watch for.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Frankenstyle posted:

Don't worry, a little chrome'll give you the guts you need! SHINY AND NEW!

And if it doesn't work out, you can take comfort in the fact that we witnessed you.

God I can't get enough of this stuff.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Frankenstyle posted:

"We need to talk."

"NOOOOOOOO. NO MORE TAAAAAALK. WE GOOO IIIIIIIIIIIN. WE KIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL."

e: Alternatively, hold her and whisper "BE STILL MY DOG OF WAR. I KNOW YOUR PAIN. WE HAVE ALL LOST MONEY. BUT WE DO THIS MY WAY."

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 19, 2015

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Psykmoe posted:

Oh right now you can find that stuff everywhere, I'd put good money on it being some of the most common take-home medical equipment you'd find outside of walkers and wheelchairs. I'm in a mediumish tourist town with lots of rural areas and we probably deliver at least one of each every day (and we're not the only company supplying them). I can definitely believe they found enough bits of them to cobble together equipment for Rictus, Corpus, and Immortan.

Now as far as wearing all that poo poo while using flamethrowers, that's where it gets ridiculous. They should've set their lungs or faces on fire a long-rear end time ago, I've heard horror stories of people burning from the inside out because they wouldn't stop smoking the cigarettes that got them on oxygen in the first place.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Casualty posted:

That's not an MFP badge, those look like this:

I know what the badge looks like, the burnt one on his arm still looks like a burnt up MFP badge to me. :) I know it seems a little squatter/pointier but that just makes it resemble that used to be sold via MMOnline in Japan which were official. Either way it has the wings on the top along with the wing points on the bottom and mass that looks like how the star would have melted so that's good enough for me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 19, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

"We need to talk."

"NOOOOOOOO. NO MORE TAAAAAALK. WE GOOO IIIIIIIIIIIN. WE KIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL."

e: Alternatively, hold her and whisper "BE STILL MY DOG OF WAR. I KNOW YOUR PAIN. WE HAVE ALL LOST MONEY. BUT WE DO THIS MY WAY."

Listen wife! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to screaming, and screaming gets to divorcing. And that is drat near the death of half of us. Look at us now! Interceptored up, and everyone talking about sick burnouts! But we've learned, by the sales prowess of that dude... your husband learned. Now, when men get to buying, donuts happen here! And neutral drops here! Our bank account enters; my Valhalla leaves.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just got both the official art book, and the inspired by art book. Both are great.

E: The original name of The Green Place was "Gynotopia."

E2: there's also the entire movie as a storyboard from 1999, which only takes up about half a page, but has every major plot beat in it.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 19, 2015

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

I like how Immortan Joe's armour is encrusted with all these authority symbols of the old world. I can see a death's-head there on his shoulder. Didn't Humungus have a similar one in his memento box?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Regarding Joe's religion and such, I think what's interesting is that he's plainly evil but also seems to believe his own hype- the way I think Hitler probably believed he was a holy figurehead of the Aryan reich or whatever the drugs had him believing near the end. It's something he definitely created to be self serving- he needs to have a bunch of wives/slaves, he needs to be in absolute control of the water, he needs to have hundreds of war boyz willing to die for him- but at some point he started to buy into it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Efexeye posted:

There's dialogue in the truck where Max asks Furiosa if she even knows the Green Place exists and it's mentioned in the conversation that she's "done this many times". Did I mishear something?
My understanding was that she attempted to flee to the Green Place many times but never reached it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

My understanding was that she attempted to flee to the Green Place many times but never reached it.

Nah she seeks redemption because she worked for Immortan Joe willingly for some time. She didn't decide to flee, the wives begged her to deliver them from Joe.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I like how Immortan Joe's armour is encrusted with all these authority symbols of the old world. I can see a death's-head there on his shoulder. Didn't Humungus have a similar one in his memento box?

Good call!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Also, I think that star is a Soviet medal

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Neo Rasa posted:

I know what the badge looks like, the burnt one on his arm still looks like a burnt up MFP badge to me. :) I know it seems a little squatter/pointier but that just makes it resemble that used to be sold via MMOnline in Japan which were official. Either way it has the wings on the top along with the wing points on the bottom and mass that looks like how the star would have melted so that's good enough for me.

The shape is all wrong though, and not even in a "deformed from melting" sort of way. It looks more like some Sheriff's or Marshal's star that you might find at a costume shop to me. Which, if you think about it, kinda makes sense. Immortan Joe has assigned value to all this stuff because it inflates his cult of personality. It is reminiscent of what a General might have worn before the Cold War went hot. Even people who don't understand warfare or the intrinsic meanings of medals and ribbons are enamored with a full chest of them, because they symbolize that this person has been through poo poo and come back to tell about it, that they are an authority figure. The US Navy officer's badge is the only real symbol of authority on there, but it's a dead and resurrected symbol; the old world has been wiped out. He has co-opted it for himself, scavenged it and repurposed it just like all those cars and weapons.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Holy poo poo i just realized something.

Remember this scene from mad max 1?

They actually reused the split second footage of the bulging eyes in Fury Road during one of Max's visions!

:gowron:

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I enjoyed it more than the original and Thunderdome, but I don't think it holds a candle to TRW.

The violence was oddly sanitized. It almost seemed like they were going for a PG-13 rating but forgot about the sexual slavery, stillborn baby, and general weirdness of the rest of the film.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GyverMac posted:

Holy poo poo i just realized something.

Remember this scene from mad max 1?

They actually reused the split second footage of the bulging eyes in Fury Road during one of Max's visions!

:gowron:

One of my neighbors growing up, a taxidermist/artist was the person who apparently helped make those eyeballs (credited on Imdb as sculptor on the film) .

I'm sure he would be glad to see his work is still being appreciated even long after the beer he was paid for that work has long since been drunk.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

KaptainKrunk posted:

I enjoyed it more than the original and Thunderdome, but I don't think it holds a candle to TRW.

The violence was oddly sanitized. It almost seemed like they were going for a PG-13 rating but forgot about the sexual slavery, stillborn baby, and general weirdness of the rest of the film.

Miller's been quoted before, talking about how the implication of violence is often enough, and adding in tons of blood effects and gore prosthetics just makes things feel fake, as opposed to allowing your mind to fill in the blanks. Like, if we dwelled on a prosthetic stomach getting cut open and a stillborn baby puppet being pulled out, it becomes easy for you to go "Oh, it's a prop", whereas doing it offscreen and barely showing the baby at all allows you to fill it in more. Whether it works or not is up to you, but I can appreciate what he was going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Thread, how do I convince my mother to go see this film? She doesn't like action movies and missed Mad Max due to living abroad at the time. She seems interested by how pro-woman it is but what else can I tell her beyond THIS FILM WILL INFLUENCE OTHERS IN THE GENRE FOR THE NEXT DECADE?

• Locked thread