Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

razorrozar posted:

they could have given black widow her own movie but no we get loving antman

I would watch the poo poo out of a Black Widow movie.

At least we're getting more Mad Max :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn Facebook is blowing up about Game of Thrones this week.

And it's all about Sansa and her wedding night. Now, call me a moron, but did people really expect anything else? It's not like Ramsay was going to flip over a new leaf and be sweet to her: she knows he wants a heir loving right now and she's heard horrible poo poo and seen what he did to Theon, so yeah, I doubt anyone had any reason to think things would work out okay. Where was all the 'THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR" poo poo about rape when Dany was suffering in her marriage? Also there was a ton more nudity in the Dany rape scenes. But it is kinda funny that so many people are screaming they are done watching the show because of this when they had no issues with rape in other scenes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wait this didn't happen in the books

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah all the violence towards women is fine when a dork with a lovely beard writes it but when a TV writer does it it's suddenly the worst.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well that marks the 208th consecutive week I'm glad I don't know anything about Game of Thrones. What a celebration.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

I think GRRM said this season in particular would piss off book fans.
A weird PR move, but hey.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't think anything can piss off book fans anymore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I figure the majority of GoT have never even opened the books because I know a lot of people super into the show that will never open the book.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Len posted:

I figure the majority of GoT have never even opened the books because I know a lot of people super into the show that will never open the book.

and that's fine, I've read 4/5 of the books and haven't started watching the new season yet, but seeing as the show will inevitably (or maybe already has) take over the books I wouldn't be too against just having them splinter off into different stories.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As long as that diarrhea thing is still in, I don't give a poo poo what they stray away from or stick to. The world needs to see that happen onscreen just as it was writ by GRRM, dammit.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Fury Road was amazing. One thing amongst a thousand that stood out was how good Hardy was at acting really bestial. His twitching and gestures and few words worked together so well. What a great movie, I think I'm going to see it in theatre again before it goes.

Agreed on all counts. Mel Gibson's Max was "mad" in the sense that he was angry at the world, and as a result became a loner. Tom Hardy's Max seems like a legitimately insane person who has forgotten how to interact with other humans.

I guess my ONLY irrationally irritating thing about Fury Road is that I can't quite figure out where it fits in the chronology. Max seems young-ish, and he still has the V8 Interceptor, which was destroyed in Road Warrior, so I thought it might take place between Max Max 1 and 2...but the world itself seems to have fallen apart much more than we saw in Road Warrior. Plus there are some elements that make it seem like it's in the same continuity (Max has the same car, jacket, and leg brace), but other elements (his new flashbacks/implied backstory) make him seem like a reboot of the character.

Apparently Miller has said that it's neither a reboot nor a sequel, just "loosely connected", so I don't know what to make of it. I guess it doesn't really matter, because the movie is incredible.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

razorrozar posted:

Eh, Black Widow is pretty much established. A movie with her would either be an origin story which I think wouldn't help the character since a lot of what makes her cool is the mystery of her character or moot since she's any story she's involved in could be covered by captain america or AoS. I do think the main Marvel movies need a more diverse cast than just good looking white guys but Black Widow is pretty good where she's at. The movie/tv universe basically have set her up as a badass along with Hawkeye. The fact that Winter Soldier had as much of her as it did Cap was really cool though.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Gaunab posted:

Eh, Black Widow is pretty much established. A movie with her would either be an origin story which I think wouldn't help the character since a lot of what makes her cool is the mystery of her character or moot since she's any story she's involved in could be covered by captain america or AoS. I do think the main Marvel movies need a more diverse cast than just good looking white guys but Black Widow is pretty good where she's at. The movie/tv universe basically have set her up as a badass along with Hawkeye. The fact that Winter Soldier had as much of her as it did Cap was really cool though.

nah but like what if we got her in a female james bond movie tho

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Patattack posted:

Agreed on all counts. Mel Gibson's Max was "mad" in the sense that he was angry at the world, and as a result became a loner. Tom Hardy's Max seems like a legitimately insane person who has forgotten how to interact with other humans.

I guess my ONLY irrationally irritating thing about Fury Road is that I can't quite figure out where it fits in the chronology. Max seems young-ish, and he still has the V8 Interceptor, which was destroyed in Road Warrior, so I thought it might take place between Max Max 1 and 2...but the world itself seems to have fallen apart much more than we saw in Road Warrior. Plus there are some elements that make it seem like it's in the same continuity (Max has the same car, jacket, and leg brace), but other elements (his new flashbacks/implied backstory) make him seem like a reboot of the character.

Apparently Miller has said that it's neither a reboot nor a sequel, just "loosely connected", so I don't know what to make of it. I guess it doesn't really matter, because the movie is incredible.

None of the Mad Max movies really have continuity with each other. They're all movies with similar themes and setting and characters, but any hard plot relation is incidental and unimportant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ The only character in more than one Mad Max movie is Max. The Gyro Captain isn't the same character that Bruce Spence plays in Beyond Thunderdome, and Immortan Joe is not the Toecutter.

razorrozar posted:

Yeah, because a Black Widow movie would have been award winning for sure.

Scarlet Johansson's bra for Best Supporting Actress.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Jedit posted:

^^^ The only character in more than one Mad Max movie is Max. The Gyro Captain isn't the same character that Bruce Spence plays in Beyond Thunderdome, and Immortan Joe is not the Toecutter.

That Gyro Captain guy is totally a perfect Rincewind in my mind. It was weird to see him act heroic at the end of that movie.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

sout posted:

and that's fine, I've read 4/5 of the books and haven't started watching the new season yet, but seeing as the show will inevitably (or maybe already has) take over the books I wouldn't be too against just having them splinter off into different stories.

The show is now starting to get ahead of the books with this season. Not all of Book 5 has happened in the show but it's getting there, and things are happening that didn't happen in the books (and possibly won't happen in the books, assuming they are even finished before GRRM croaks.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ryoshi posted:

Wasn't Days of Future Past very similar to a comics run?

Yeah and honestly walking out of the theaters that was the first comic book movie where I said "that story actually felt like something you'd read in a comic book". Which is a good thing.

The rest are all hollywood action movies using comic characters. Days of future past actually goes all the way with the comic style, and its better for it.

They still changed many of the plot elements from the comics (it was Kitty Pryde herself who did the time travel in the comics, but it makes sense to cast fan-favorite Wolverine in the spot and have her just kinda help out) but it kept the same feel which is important.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Goddamn Facebook is blowing up about Game of Thrones this week.

And it's all about Sansa and her wedding night. Now, call me a moron, but did people really expect anything else? It's not like Ramsay was going to flip over a new leaf and be sweet to her: she knows he wants a heir loving right now and she's heard horrible poo poo and seen what he did to Theon, so yeah, I doubt anyone had any reason to think things would work out okay. Where was all the 'THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR" poo poo about rape when Dany was suffering in her marriage? Also there was a ton more nudity in the Dany rape scenes. But it is kinda funny that so many people are screaming they are done watching the show because of this when they had no issues with rape in other scenes.

You have to expect it coming with Ramsay, but that didn't make it any easier to watch.

Somehow more uncomfortable for me than Daenerys and Khal Drogo. I'm not raging on facebook or anything, but I probably could have done without that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Patattack posted:

I remember reading somewhere (I dont remember if this is something that someone connected to the film said or just some fans idea) that the Mad Max films are the wastelands legends of Max. Like these are the campfire stories of this world, so discrepancies with the films not fitting together should be treated like you are reading a collection of myths about Finn MacCool or something.

It was probably just a fan theory based on the bit in Beyond Thunderdome where the children are being told the story of Max, but its a vaguely interesting way of looking at them anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

razorrozar posted:

I feel like people only want a Black Widow movie to have a proper female superhero, which don't get me wrong I am ALL for more female superheroes or female heroines in general, but Black Widow is just kinda such a boring character. If she wasn't the only female on the cinematic Avengers nobody would know who she was (and nobody did except a few nerds before the movie). Scarlet Jo does a good job (and maybe its Scarlet herself is the reason people want a black window movie?) but the character just isn't that interesting.

A Black Widow movie would be pretty much exactly like Lucy, which I'm sorry, was total garbage.

Give me a movie about Jean Grey instead, or Wonder Woman. So much more character, so much more to do with them. Even She-hulk is a more interesting character than Black Widow. Or Psylocke. Or Wasp. Or anybody!

Anyways antman rules you leave antman alone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lucy is about someone getting superpowers and turning into a god.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Lucy is about someone getting superpowers and turning into a god usb stick

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

SiKboy posted:

I remember reading somewhere (I dont remember if this is something that someone connected to the film said or just some fans idea) that the Mad Max films are the wastelands legends of Max. Like these are the campfire stories of this world, so discrepancies with the films not fitting together should be treated like you are reading a collection of myths about Finn MacCool or something.

It was probably just a fan theory based on the bit in Beyond Thunderdome where the children are being told the story of Max, but its a vaguely interesting way of looking at them anyway.

Ooooh I like that interpretation. I'll take it!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel like people only want a Black Widow movie to have a proper female superhero, which don't get me wrong I am ALL for more female superheroes or female heroines in general, but Black Widow is just kinda such a boring character. If she wasn't the only female on the cinematic Avengers nobody would know who she was (and nobody did except a few nerds before the movie). Scarlet Jo does a good job (and maybe its Scarlet herself is the reason people want a black window movie?) but the character just isn't that interesting.

A Black Widow movie would be pretty much exactly like Lucy, which I'm sorry, was total garbage.

Give me a movie about Jean Grey instead, or Wonder Woman. So much more character, so much more to do with them. Even She-hulk is a more interesting character than Black Widow. Or Psylocke. Or Wasp. Or anybody!

Anyways antman rules you leave antman alone.

Kind of a catch-22 if she can't have a movie because her character is boring. Her basic character is just 'mysterious female assassin with flexible morals'. If you can't make that interesting its entirely the fault of the writing, not the character.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Grandpa!

jabby posted:

Kind of a catch-22 if she can't have a movie because her character is boring. Her basic character is just 'mysterious female assassin with flexible morals'. If you can't make that interesting its entirely the fault of the writing, not the character.

Eh, I guess. You could say the same thing about literally any character, though.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't trust hollywood writing to make a flat character into a good story, given that they've got a history of taking good characters with good histories and making them into garbage cliches. If they start with good material there's a chance it'll be good but probably not, but if they start with a bad character I have no hope at all.

Its possible you could use it as a shell and fill in details, but then you'd be going against the established character and should probably just make your own story anyways; change the name so you don't have to cut Marvel a check.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SiKboy posted:

The Feral Kid is the one telling the story at the end of Road Warrior if I recall correctly. I think the first one is the only one that didn't end with the story being told.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

jabby posted:

Oh wow I can't wait to see this familiar as gently caress stock character doing backflips in the sexless, anodyne Marvel Franchise Universe

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

swamp waste posted:

Oh wow I can't wait to see this familiar as gently caress stock character doing backflips in the sexless, anodyne Marvel Franchise Universe

Yeah, not like super buff guy who's always morally right and LOVES AMERICA, that one is a profound and complicated character.

It's a loving comic book movie, they're all flat, one-dimensional characters.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
She-Hulk would be a better character to get her own movie since she would have a bigger effect on the movie universe as a whole plus they could make it part courtroom comedy and I'd get to watch people get pissed off because of it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pidmon posted:

nah but like what if we got her in a female james bond movie tho
I'd really like to see a decent Modesty Blaise film.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its possible you could use it as a shell and fill in details, but then you'd be going against the established character and should probably just make your own story anyways; change the name so you don't have to cut Marvel a check.
Pretty sure you'd get more value out of having Marvel and a recognisable super hero name attached than it would cost.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah and honestly walking out of the theaters that was the first comic book movie where I said "that story actually felt like something you'd read in a comic book". Which is a good thing.

The rest are all hollywood action movies using comic characters. Days of future past actually goes all the way with the comic style, and its better for it.

They still changed many of the plot elements from the comics (it was Kitty Pryde herself who did the time travel in the comics, but it makes sense to cast fan-favorite Wolverine in the spot and have her just kinda help out) but it kept the same feel which is important.

You have to expect it coming with Ramsay, but that didn't make it any easier to watch.

Somehow more uncomfortable for me than Daenerys and Khal Drogo. I'm not raging on facebook or anything, but I probably could have done without that.

I don't know, Drogo and Dany was hard to watch. And the rapes of Craster's wives, and the attack on the sheep people village where Dany is appalled that, gasp, the women taken captive are raped. gently caress, even Roslin Frey had tears when the word bedding was announced. Sansa knew what she was getting into and at the very least there was far less visual than with the other rapes.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

SiKboy posted:

George Miller has compared it to a post-apocalyptic version of the Arthurian legend, which is a pretty cool way to describe it. There are always some constants in the story but there's a ton of leeway and the people telling it always spin their own tales into it. It also explains why every movie after the first follows the same basic plot points:

- Max's basic backstory (was cop, lost family, gained sweet car). Now a drifter who only cares about surviving
- Loses everything and signs up to help someone to satisfy his own needs
- Sacrifices his own wellbeing to save others, regains some of his lost humanity but is left with nothing, resumes wandering the wasteland

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Widow's current comic is about her going back to make up for the kills she made and getting involved in some bigger thing because of one of those.

You can easily make a movie out of that, it's basically every Mission Impossible already.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't know, Drogo and Dany was hard to watch. And the rapes of Craster's wives, and the attack on the sheep people village where Dany is appalled that, gasp, the women taken captive are raped. gently caress, even Roslin Frey had tears when the word bedding was announced. Sansa knew what she was getting into and at the very least there was far less visual than with the other rapes.

The painful part of Ramsey and Sansa wasn't the fact of the marital rape. It was that he made Theon watch. Drogo was at least slightly concerned that he was hurting Dany, and even the rapists at Craster's Keep and among the Dothraki didn't care what the women they raped felt. To Ramsey, though, it's quite clear that Sansa's suffering is what he really wants and he's also taking pleasure from making Theon suffer by forcing him to watch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Black Widow's current comic is about her going back to make up for the kills she made and getting involved in some bigger thing because of one of those.

You can easily make a movie out of that, it's basically every Mission Impossible already.

Okay, I could see a solo Black Widow movie as long as its not a superhero film at all. Make it a heist film or a mission impossible that just happens to have a Marvel character and you've got me.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay, I could see a solo Black Widow movie as long as its not a superhero film at all. Make it a heist film or a mission impossible that just happens to have a Marvel character and you've got me.

Exactly! She's not a super hero; she's an agent.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
In a universe with living techno-god vikings, giant gamma mutants things, power-armored Randian super-geniuses, we do not need Black Widow. We need interesting female characters, not Generic Tight-Suited "Badass" Spy Chick #3457. Black Widow and Hawkeye are the most useless members of the Avengers -- at least Captain America fought literal Nazis.

I would watch the hell out of a movie based on the Muslim Captain Marvel, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

In a universe with living techno-god vikings, giant gamma mutants things, power-armored Randian super-geniuses, we do not need Black Widow. We need interesting female characters, not Generic Tight-Suited "Badass" Spy Chick #3457. Black Widow and Hawkeye are the most useless members of the Avengers -- at least Captain America fought literal Nazis.

I would watch the hell out of a movie based on the Muslim Captain Marvel, though.

You're a little late to the argument buddy. That's like exactly what I said, and I gave several examples of other superheroines with better powers who are more interesting, like She-Hulk, and other goons already weighed in.

I do agree though that a Black Widow film could be good as long as its not about superpowers and supervillains at all. But then that's a horse of an entirely different color.

We definitely need more good female superhero films.

Problem is the lovely handling of things like Catwoman has made studios risk-averse on trying again.

Superman V Batman isn't looking so good and is probably going to bury any chance at a solid Wonder Woman movie which sucks because Diana is one of the best.

As for Muslim Captain Marvel... I dunno.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think a BW movie can work as a superhero film because she's not really a superhero. She's basically a spy.

To be completely honest, even with as much comic reading I did as a kid and do now, the ONLY "arch villain" I can think of is ANOTHER spy who uses the same code name except she's blond, and wears a tight catsuit and kills people.

It's not the fact there's not a BW movie out or coming out, it's the fact she's kind of a poo poo character who has no backstory to work off of. Most of the time in the comics she's either saving someone, on the run from shield, or boning Daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't think a BW movie can work as a superhero film because she's not really a superhero. She's basically a spy.

To be completely honest, even with as much comic reading I did as a kid and do now, the ONLY "arch villain" I can think of is ANOTHER spy who uses the same code name except she's blond, and wears a tight catsuit and kills people.

It's not the fact there's not a BW movie out or coming out, it's the fact she's kind of a poo poo character who has no backstory to work off of. Most of the time in the comics she's either saving someone, on the run from shield, or boning Daredevil.

She also bones Hawkeye! She does have the red room and that has been already introduced in Agent Carter.