Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Zaku Field Repair Version (I.e. fixing my MG Zaku's hand) has been a qualified success. The joints are loose and can't curl up all the way, but all the articulation works and they aren't falling out of their sockets anymore. Probably going to paint the glued spots up in some slightly mismatched metal color, like the crew used whatever scrap was on hand to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Xy Hapu posted:

Detail-wise, they literally just shrunk down the MG to make the HG, so it's basically all there aside from inner frame stuff. You'll have to do some difficult painting if you want to shoot it with the weapon bay and moonlight butterfly ports open though, which is unnecessarily in the MG. The HG doesn't have the parts separated eyes so you'll have to paint or use the sticker for that. The MG also has much better articulation all around, you can't do that nice leaping pose on the HG for example and you'll be disappointed with the HG if you want to replicate the MG photos you saw.

I'd strongly recommend the MG over the HG for photography, the sticker backed eyes work brilliantly and photograph very well, it'll look better close up, you'll be able to put it in a much wider range of poses, and it'll take less work for it to look good. Pretty much the only cons over the HG are it costs more and takes more time to build.

I honestly wonder how long Bandai can keep re-releasing older kits at a reasonable rate, their catalog is so huge now. Then again for all I know they have so many machines that they're sitting idle half the time.

Thanks :O The MG is especially appealing to me looking at the Dalong photos if only because of the issue with the eyes. When I picked up the FW Converge SD Turn A figure, one of the details I absolutely loved with it was the eye design, with the clear plastic and the way they built it so that you can see little details mimicking the sensors within, and the MG looks like it does a similar thing. I'm eyeing the Hobbywave one since looks like they've got it on sale for just around 30 bucks, which evne with their shipping comes out under the amazon seller's price. Anyone know where Hobbywave is shipping from?

of course the other issue at the moment is having the cash to spare on it. One other reason I've been eyeing the HG is because I can just barely scrape by with a gift card I haven't used on Amazon yet, so as much as I want the MG more, if I want to get some initial shots soon I may have to go with the HG and just bide my time till I can grab the MG.

But seriously I'm looking at this photo with my macro lens and picturing finagling a little scaled down lighting set up with an LED and a make shift snoot to focus the light on the eye and aaaaaaaah it'd be so awesome

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I love how that looks like some kind of mechanical tin toy from the 1950s. I almost expect it to light up and make little ack-ack noises.

One of the reasons I dig the Turn A is that, if you take away all the surface engraving, it's an incredibly minimalistic design that uses its lines and forms to their maximum potential. Kind of like the original Gundam, but from a completely different perspective.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

You totally can.

Now I know what you're thinking. "But the MG can go further!". And you'd be right.

But the MG actually takes it further than it needs to.

It's legitimately strange. The MG theoretically has more articulation, yet the HG can do every single one of the Turn A's more iconic poses anyway to the same degree the MG can.

(for some reason no review ever did the Turn A's "lean slightly forward thing". This was the closest I could get, and as you can see it can totally do it.)

Plus one.

The HG Turn A was advertised doing this like all over. Because the MG can't do it. At all. Hell if you really tried you might break your MG's hips.

The main reason to get the MG over the HG now, honestly, is just that there's less painting involved. It's a great kit, but, well, it's also eight years old.

EDIT: Oh right the MG has a cow, that is also very important.

Hmm I'm not sure what you mean, are you saying that the HG has less articulation but it can still do most of the iconic poses? I'd agree with that, though for the leaping pose, which to me is the most striking and distinctive one, you actually do need the full leg articulation of the MG to pull off in the way shown in Bandai's promo shots (though I would consider the HG's version pretty good, just not as good):

I suspect the HG can't crouch on one knee convincingly either, which is another really nice looking pose, since that also needs the full leg bend.

I didn't have any trouble pulling off the laundry pose on mine, this was done without pulling the leg off or scraping plastic or anything:

I admit the clearance between the buttcheeks and crotch was pretty small while moving it, seems the HG gives more room to work with.

I don't agree with the idea that older = worse when it comes to these kits. Yeah, cell phones and computers might become obsolete after a few years, but not everything works that way. There was a period of a few years where gunpla made very noticeable improvements (my guess is due to CAD and rapid prototyping letting designers easily experiment and try new things), but that boom is over, and anything done in the last 10 years is pretty much of equivalent quality. This is why I eyerolled when I read people complaining (I don't remember where, no offense intended if it was here) about how lovely the MG Build Gundam Mk. II was because it was based on a decade old kit, with zero awareness that the MG Mk. II 2.0 is more impressive and better engineered than most modern kits, owing to it being a scaled down version of the PG.

Speaking of PGs, if Bandai released the PG RX-78 today, people would still be like, holy gently caress, that's amazing, look how far gunpla has come . . . not realizing the thing is nearly two decades old. Seriously, go look at Dalong's part review for it and then show me anything more modern, including the newest PGs, that holds a candle to that.

I'm not trying to bash Bandai and gunpla or anything, this is just the reality of Things That Aren't Computers (and even advancements in computing are slowing down), eventually you're going to reach a point where it's more or less as good as it's going to get and adding more years to the release date isn't a formula for instant improvement. To be sure there are a lot of things Bandai can still do (like finally make polycaps out of something other than molded bubblegum) but at this point most of it probably involves changing their infrastructure and/or spending more money; I think it's pretty evident they've largely hit the peak of what they can do with their current materials and processes (and they did so 15 years ago).

Lanz posted:

Thanks :O The MG is especially appealing to me looking at the Dalong photos if only because of the issue with the eyes.

No problem! If you go with the HG, you can get a roughly similar effect by painting the eyes silver first, then putting clear yellow over it, though I guess it would only make sense money wise if you already have those paints on hand.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lanz posted:

I'm eyeing the Hobbywave one since looks like they've got it on sale for just around 30 bucks, which evne with their shipping comes out under the amazon seller's price. Anyone know where Hobbywave is shipping from?

they're in the US. you're probably just as likely to have it sent from either the Delaware or Washington office.

e: just peeking at Amazon, i'm not familiar with the seller there, so i can't offer any info on their shipping speed etc.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 20, 2015

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The PG RX-78-2 is kind of poo poo and feels every bit of its 17 years old, IMO. I've never built a Bandai kit with such bad parts fit, and none of the hatches on mine can open anymore because every single one of the polycaps on the hinge mechanisms split.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
This doesn't make any loving sense

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

:staredog: yeah, looks like i'm getting it

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

And it is spectacular.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

:staredog: yeah, looks like i'm getting it

Good luck spending $80 to get it from a reseller then, because it's an online-exclusive :v:.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Good luck spending $80 to get it from a reseller then, because it's an online-exclusive :v:.

seems like a high estimate, even if you mean AUD. gentei will probably have the kit for mid-20 and then add shipping.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

boom boom boom posted:

Gunpla is freedom. :colbert: Buying that robot so hard.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Xy Hapu posted:

I suspect the HG can't crouch on one knee convincingly either, which is another really nice looking pose, since that also needs the full leg bend.

Nah, it's good. This picture is sort of lazy, but it gives a good idea of what the HG Turn A can do.

Honestly the MG's hips are kind of limiting, so even though it has more leg articulation it can't take advantage of it as much as it could've. And while this is probably just mine, the hips tend to just fall off more often than not.

quote:

And unfortunately your's doesn't quite make it.

EDIT: Ignore me I'm dumb, I just messed around with mine and figured out how to do it.

quote:

I don't agree with the idea that older = worse when it comes to these kits.

Well yeah, that's not true in general but it does kind of apply here. HG Turn A is surprisingly competitive when you compare it to its MG counterpart, even though it's a whole grade lower. And that's mostly because it's eight years newer so Bandai just got better with these things.

MG Turn A was a great kit when it came out, and it's still great kit even today thanks to its unique engineering. But if Bandai were to make a Turn A 2.0 now they could undoubtedly make something better, because they've gotten better. It's pretty simple like that.

quote:

This is why I eyerolled when I read people complaining (I don't remember where, no offense intended if it was here) about how lovely the MG Build Gundam Mk. II was because it was based on a decade old kit, with zero awareness that the MG Mk. II 2.0 is more impressive and better engineered than most modern kits, owing to it being a scaled down version of the PG.

And I think you just straight up read them wrong because people were complaining about HG Build mkII. I can't think of anybody who would complain about the MG, especially since it was essentially a two-in-one kit!

EDIT 2: My MG Turn A's beam saber broke off at the hilt, clearly the gunpla gods are furious at me for poo poo talking a great kit. :negative:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 20, 2015

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Do all the MG Turn As have that fancy gold foil on the packaging, or just the first run?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyone else have problems with the GM Sniper K9's legs? It's like they're only held on by the weight of the torso pressing them against a surface. I'm probably going to glue them on.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chutche2 posted:

Anyone else have problems with the GM Sniper K9's legs? It's like they're only held on by the weight of the torso pressing them against a surface. I'm probably going to glue them on.

It's a flaw with the addition of the K9 parts. The gun holsters are taking up room on the hip joints, meaning the legs can't fully connect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

It's a flaw with the addition of the K9 parts. The gun holsters are taking up room on the hip joints, meaning the legs can't fully connect.

Yeah, I removed the holsters on mine for the same reason. I pretty much bought it for the colour, and rebuilt it to have most of the stock GM stuff. It's currently wielding the swords from the System Weapon 004 with its fancy sniper vision visor protective eye-shield.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's common practice to tighten loose PC joints by building up the non-PC joint surfaces with paint or thin CA glue — might that work in this case?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

It's common practice to tighten loose PC joints by building up the non-PC joint surfaces with paint or thin CA glue — might that work in this case?

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Just be sure the glue is completely dry.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Failing that I'd try to lengthen the thigh rods with plastic tubing — a semi-fussy but not terribly difficult modification.

In other news, here's something interesting: Gunpla USA, which bills itself as the "(o)fficial U.S. Tumblr for Gundam models and other products by Bandai Hobby covering events relevant to the U.S. region powered by Bluefin Distribution." Looks like it is just getting started, but they've already got a very interesting interview with members of the Bandai Hobby design staff and mecha designer Kanetake Ebikawa regarding development of the RG 00 Raiser. Definitely bookmarking dis one.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

And I think you just straight up read them wrong because people were complaining about HG Build mkII. I can't think of anybody who would complain about the MG, especially since it was essentially a two-in-one kit!

Yeah, nobody in this thread has ever complained about the MG Build MkII. The HG Build MkII is a piece of poo poo, however.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Bimmi posted:

In other news, here's something interesting: Gunpla USA, which bills itself as the "(o)fficial U.S. Tumblr for Gundam models and other products by Bandai Hobby covering events relevant to the U.S. region powered by Bluefin Distribution." Looks like it is just getting started, but they've already got a very interesting interview with members of the Bandai Hobby design staff and mecha designer Kanetake Ebikawa regarding development of the RG 00 Raiser. Definitely bookmarking dis one.

This is fascinating, thanks a lot!

EDIT: Speaking of cool things, a japanese website is currently holding a modeling contest. Here are all the submissions.

If I understood my japanese friend correctly when he was explaining it, apparently the real Meijin Kawaguchi will be one of the judges for this?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 20, 2015

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

Nah, it's good. This picture is sort of lazy, but it gives a good idea of what the HG Turn A can do.

I meant the pose in the middle here actually, though that is pretty decent, better than I imagined. This one and the leaping one totally sold the Turn A for me when it first came out :swoon:

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Turn A was a great kit when it came out, and it's still great kit even today thanks to its unique engineering. But if Bandai were to make a Turn A 2.0 now they could undoubtedly make something better, because they've gotten better. It's pretty simple like that.

True, but if they had never made a Turn A 1.0 back in 2007 and made one today with the same budget, I'm willing to bet my nerd cred it would be practically the same as what we got 8 years ago. I think you would be hard pressed to find any discernible difference between a 2007 MG and a 2015 one, aside from aesthetic ones like RG styling. If someone threw every MG from the past 10 years at me and told me to put them in chronological order based on perceived advancements in engineering, I would probably end up with something silly like Wing kits -> Turn A and X -> -> Gundam X kits -> 2.0's and the RG trio -> then the Acguy or something. MG quality over the past decade is more about how much money Bandai decided to throw at a particular kit rather than a matter of release date, they've pretty much all hovered around a certain level for a long time now.

Bimmi posted:

Do all the MG Turn As have that fancy gold foil on the packaging, or just the first run?

Yeah I read that it was just the first run.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Post just arrived:

:getin:

It's an MG, all right. Not sure why I was expecting it to be an HG-sized box when it very clearly says MG right there and on everything else. :downs:

This brings the total number of kits in my backlog to thee HGs and three MGs if I'm not counting the two HGs I assembled but haven't dullcoted/lined yet, so I'd better get back to building soon. :ohdear:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 20, 2015

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I agree that Gunpla technology probably reached its mature state with the first 2.0 kits and that there have been only incremental improvements since then, but one shouldn't discount those increments and how they impact the overall experience.

Of course, you still have things which are real advances, not in terms of breakthrough technology, but of design philosophy and implementation — the Gundam 3.0 is probably the premier example of this, and the recent leaps in HG complexity (and cost) indicate a fairly significant change as well. None of it's new, exactly, but it's being used in a way that seems new, you know?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Hrm... so I have a Brutish Dog kit I have sitting in my closet I'm thinking of finally breaking out and building it. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for what kinds of colors of paint or washes I can pick up to make it nice. I don't want to do anything really advanced, since I'm not that good, but I figure anything simple I can do to bring out some of the details would be worth it. I was thinking maybe washes or panels lining, but again what colors or products should I pick up?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hrm... so I have a Brutish Dog kit I have sitting in my closet I'm thinking of finally breaking out and building it. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for what kinds of colors of paint or washes I can pick up to make it nice. I don't want to do anything really advanced, since I'm not that good, but I figure anything simple I can do to bring out some of the details would be worth it. I was thinking maybe washes or panels lining, but again what colors or products should I pick up?

chrome it, with chrome

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dre2Dee2 posted:

coat of Nuln Oil, liberal use of Typhus Corrosion.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Seconding what boom boom boom said. GW gouges on price with most products, but their washes and effect paints are absurdly good.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

An Angry Bug posted:

Seconding what boom boom boom said. GW gouges on price with most products, but their washes and effect paints are absurdly good.

Ok awesome, I'm definitely gonna pick some of that up! Thanks guys.

Hrm... what would I need to use to add a dusty effect to the skates? :)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Sharkopath posted:

chrome it, with chrome

I know some people are absurdly good at painting the little guys that come with MGs, I wanna see one of those with Mellowlink's face streaks.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

An Angry Bug posted:

I started experimenting with their paints too. One thing I gotta say that really makes it stand out to me is how forgiving it is. If you decide something looks like poo poo you can soak it in isopropyl alcohol and it comes right off, whereas Tamiya really need to soak for a long time.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

An Angry Bug posted:

GW gouges on price with most products, but their washes and effect paints are absurdly good.

Do these have any special qualities in terms of dispersal, texture etc.? I look at weathering effects like the grime pictured here and it just breaks my brain as to how they're achieved.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bimmi posted:

Do these have any special qualities in terms of dispersal, texture etc.? I look at weathering effects like the grime pictured here and it just breaks my brain as to how they're achieved.

They're just surprisingly high quality for their price water-based acrylics. Considering how much GW normally hates it's customers, the quality:price for their paint/wash range is a steal.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 20, 2015

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Bimmi posted:

In my experience, their paints (see: not washes or foundation) have lovely pigmentation and just granulate when you try to thin them too far with water. Normally this would be terrible, but it's possible to harness the grainy pigments falling out of solution in weathering. I find it more work to mess with that than just use weathering powder, though.

On the other hand, I've had great success with their washes, foundation paints, and metallics. The washes are great out of the bottle, the foundation paints perform exactly as advertised, and the metallics are weirdly some of the best I've brushed with. I'm not sure what went wrong with their regular paints.

That all said, It's *possible* things have changed with their most recent line change. I don't do a ton of handpainting anymore, so I'm still using up the round of paints I got before their latest refresh. drat things are still too expensive unless you have a real need for those paints specifically. Like the metallics.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Are there any good 1/144 scale Magellas? I've got the Zaku ground war kit for Type 61s. I just really like having UC tanks as diorama pieces.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The revive/origin lines are getting all of my money and shelf space

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Why would someone want a Revive Mk II when the RG is as close to perfection as 1/144 will ever get?

The RG RX-78-2 is fiddly with exploding shoulders and the core block thing makes the kit fall in half if you sneeze at it. I could see not wanting to bother with it and getting the Revive HG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Swagger Dagger posted:

The revive/origin lines are getting all of my money and shelf space

I'm still safe - I already have the G30th RX-8 and RG Freedom. At least there's now a decent kit for people to mount the Build Booster Mk.II on though :v: