Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Literally The Worst posted:

Build Strike, Turn A, or 00 Raiser are far better options than any of those. Source: my MG shelf

The site doesn't have those in stock. The other viable options are proto wing zero and turn x iirc

I planned for the gyan I ordered to be my first mg but whatever I get here will arrive faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Gundam mk2 2.0 MG is good imo and isn't the Build Mk2 MG based on that?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Either of those BF MGs are great, just flip a coin.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I just built my first RG, the RX-178. loving impressive what they can cram into a 1/144 kit these days, and I'm shocked at how well it articulates and moves for such tiny pieces. Compared to the MG Sinanju Ver.Ka, where it feels like every joint manipulation is going to twist off a peg, this RG feels like a robust action figure. Even though a lot of pieces seem to get attached with very little friction, they seem pretty solid.
One issue is the beam rifle's 'stowed' position on the waist armor. It just doesn't fit. The peg on the gun is too far from the butt of the gun, so the butt hits the chest and it won't slot into the waist hole in virtually any pose.

I got sick of waiting for the PG Unicorn LED Unit to get in at HLJ (only had another week or so before my PG Unicorn hits the 60 day warehouse limit), and found it from an ebay seller that isn't gouging. Added a small pile of action bases to my warehouse, and I'll finally get that thing in shipping 6 months after I ordered it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

I got sick of waiting for the PG Unicorn LED Unit to get in at HLJ (only had another week or so before my PG Unicorn hits the 60 day warehouse limit), and found it from an ebay seller that isn't gouging. Added a small pile of action bases to my warehouse, and I'll finally get that thing in shipping 6 months after I ordered it.

My Unicorn + LED finally got here last week too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You guys weren't kidding how long a full painting project can take! After getting another kit, repainting, forgetting to paint one part that I was repainting for, then finally painting the single last part, Heavy arms is finally rearmed.

Time to practice water slides and dry rubs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A guy I know won a GWBC regional qualifier with a MG GX.

This Pleases Me.

I bought him a MG DX as a congratulations. :v:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 25, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If anyone was interested, Gentei Kits is taking preorders for the GM Cannon now.

Edit: What is EMS shipping and why is it faster and cheaper than air mail?

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 25, 2015

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
EMS is just another kind of international shipping with tracking. If you live in the United States, the Post Office delivers your package, and it's usually really fast. At least for me it is. I'll have a package get shipped on a Friday and arrive sometime the next week, all the way from freakin' Japan.

If you do not live in the U.S., well, I don't know how you non-Americans deal with the delivery and shipping costs and import fees and what not.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mecha Gojira posted:

If you do not live in the U.S., well, I don't know how you non-Americans deal with the delivery and shipping costs and import fees and what not.

With a steely look in our eye and absolutely nothing left in our bank accounts.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

With a steely look in our eye and absolutely nothing left in our bank accounts.

This.

EMS does get here really fast though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ignimbrite posted:

This.

EMS does get here really fast though.

After HMRC have caught it and bumped up the price significantly, of course.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HLJ discontinued the final issue of Dengeki Hobby. :psyduck:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
First attempt at repair of my Tallgeese III:

:negative:

The plain old plastic cement weld didn't work, probably not to the surprise of anyone who knows what they're doing. After a week of curing I tried putting everything back together, but the weld buckled right away, so that's out.

Here's another picture of the break lined up a bit better, with the brass rods I have to work with in descending order from 2mm to 1.5mm to 1mm.

I'm not entirely sure what I can pull off here based on Bimmi's previous advice. I think I might be hosed. If I could do any modeling I might try to get something 3d printed, but I have no experience there.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That eats. Don't want to see you left high and dry on this so I'd be willing to fix it for you if you care to give me a crack at it.

If not, the previous advice still holds but you should definitely reinforce the whole thing with epoxy putty if that bottom rod is as skinny as it looks.

BlitzBlast posted:

HLJ discontinued the final issue of Dengeki Hobby. :psyduck:

… wha?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 25, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It looks like the 1mm rod would fit in the little trapezoidal space on the side there. If you cut out one side of it, you could probably put a section of rod in there and secure it in with putty/glue. Do that on each side and you should be pretty well set.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bimmi posted:

… wha?

Gundam Guy put up their regular "hey this issue of Dengeki Hobby is coming out soon" article so I went to HLJ to check on my order, and the thing's marked as discontinued.

I don't even.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Sold out, probably. HLJ loves to slap "discontinued" on any old thing.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It looks like the 1mm rod would fit in the little trapezoidal space on the side there. If you cut out one side of it, you could probably put a section of rod in there and secure it in with putty/glue. Do that on each side and you should be pretty well set.

The 1mm rod would fit based on the measuring I've done (I can cut a segment to double-check in a little bit); it's more a matter of whether they'd provide enough support, even with putty. The way the connecting piece joins up puts some pressure on the slight slope that begins on the right piece, for whatever reason, which is why the initial weld buckled outwards.

Disclaimer: I've never worked with putty before. I could be totally wrong about how much it would help.

Bimmi posted:

That eats. Don't want to see you left high and dry on this so I'd be willing to fix it for you if you care to give me a crack at it.

If not, the previous advice still holds but you should definitely reinforce the whole thing with epoxy putty if that bottom rod is as skinny as it looks.

Thanks for the offer and the advice; I really appreciate it.

I'm gonna chew on it a little more, I think. Need to decide whether I'm willing to risk learning with and maybe loving up such an expensive kit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
You'll need to fill the entire part with putty with the aim of changing the cross-section profile from a T to a rectangle. Not just any putty either, this is strictly a job for epoxy putty. and of course you'll have to file & sand in order for it to not look like crap.

Let me know what you decide to do, it's a pretty easy fix from my end.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Figured I might as well post an update of this:

Really trying to get this finished up. Sadly, the left forearm fin has disappeared into the Gunpla ether. :(

I got this in the mail today:

FINALLY found a seller who wasn't being an rear end in a top hat with the asking price.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Whoa, the hell is that? I didnt know they had Shin Mazin kits!

On the painting front, I have all my supplies bought and ready to go (thanks for the previous advice on inks). My question is, how do I balance asembly and painting? Should I start putting parts together, or should I just be painting all the pieces fresh off the sprue and then assemble?

I am planning on priming all the pieces, if that matters.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh whew, HLJ sent a payment request for the issue.

Anyway I usually just work on one part of the body at a time: legs, then torso, then the arms, etc. It usually ends up being more organized that way for me.

Also assemble to the point you can see how everything goes together then disassemble and paint. Be careful of really tiny pieces you can't take out again though.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Blitzblast has got it. Put little bits together, do the peg trimming thing where you clip it at an angle. Do subassemblies. For my first thing I did it all and it makes it feel like a huge job. Doing limb by limb or whatever makes it much more manageable and gives you a nice sense of progress.

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

Zwingley posted:

:negative:
I'm not entirely sure what I can pull off here based on Bimmi's previous advice. I think I might be hosed. If I could do any modeling I might try to get something 3d printed, but I have no experience there.

It's I21 on one of the regular Tallgeese sprues right? I've a regular MG Goose to see if it's able to be copied, but it's still boxed up because :effort:. Looking at the other piece, do any of the inner fins lock into the other pieces, or do you think a solid extrude would be sufficient? You know, just in case.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

huh I usually do a full assembly, then paint all the pieces at once. Saves me time and money on stuff like paint and primer (less excess I guess).

Also jesus christ Anime north was likely the biggest gunpla binge of my life. In one day I bought

Mg sazabi ver ka
mg sword impulse
mg build strike
1/100 kyrios

also got pre-built mg's for ten bucks each, those being:

mg f91
mg aquatic griffon
mg g04
mg g05.

8 kits. That's plastic crack for you.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

huh I usually do a full assembly, then paint all the pieces at once. Saves me time and money on stuff like paint and primer (less excess I guess).

How the hell do you pull that off and still get a clean paintjob? Wouldn't the exposed joints/inner frame get sprayed by whatever you're using to paint the armor?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

How the hell do you pull that off and still get a clean paintjob? Wouldn't the exposed joints/inner frame get sprayed by whatever you're using to paint the armor?

Sorry I didn't come across very clear. What I do is build the thing, fix any seam lines, then prime it when it's still together. After priming, I disassemble the whole thing and paint by color, I don't do sub assemblies, or only paint the limb at at one time. I only reassemble once everything is painted and coated with future.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

0x0hShit posted:

It's I21 on one of the regular Tallgeese sprues right? I've a regular MG Goose to see if it's able to be copied, but it's still boxed up because :effort:. Looking at the other piece, do any of the inner fins lock into the other pieces, or do you think a solid extrude would be sufficient? You know, just in case.

Unfortunately I don't think it exists on the regular Tallgeese.

It's I1-21 here. Looking at the regular MG Tallgeese manual on Dalong, it doesn't seem to exist.

Insofar as the inner ribbing goes, it's just detail up to the deep shadow; the loop slots into the shoulder. I posted some other shots of the manual earlier in the thread that might give a better idea.

Zwingley posted:

Initially:

New angle for the next step:

Rifle attachment:

e: hosed up a thing

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 26, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i got in touch with uhhh i think it was "bandai action kits" when i needed replacement part for my scopedog

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

muike posted:

i got in touch with uhhh i think it was "bandai action kits" when i needed replacement part for my scopedog

Would they have pieces for online exclusives? 'cuz that's why this is such a problem. :shepicide:

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

Zwingley posted:

Unfortunately I don't think it exists on the regular Tallgeese.
It's I1-21 here. Looking at the regular MG Tallgeese manual on Dalong, it doesn't seem to exist.

Insofar as the inner ribbing goes, it's just detail up to the deep shadow; the loop slots into the shoulder. I posted some other shots of the manual earlier in the thread that might give a better idea.

Yeah it does not look like it exists on the regular MG then. Sorry. :( On the flipside I tossed the image in real quick and mocked something up based on the 1/1.5/2mm rods in the image. It's definitely not a a perfect replication but with some work, maybe it would fit. Probably more a 'last ditch' thing if a real part can't be found. Cost from Shapeways would be about 2 bucks + ship in Nylon plastic.

Link to the 2D DXF and 3D STL.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Monaghan posted:

Sorry I didn't come across very clear. What I do is build the thing, fix any seam lines, then prime it when it's still together. After priming, I disassemble the whole thing and paint by color, I don't do sub assemblies, or only paint the limb at at one time. I only reassemble once everything is painted and coated with future.

So... you finish the whole kit, and prime the whole thing in one shot? Wouldn't that stick the joints, or I guess you just tape that up?

drat, this is a lot harder than I thought... I want to pick the right method :ohdear:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
A printed part would be the least lovely alternative but you'd need to make a more or less perfect duplicate of the original part — Gunpla does not really tolerate "close enough" where assembly is concerned.

Still, I like this idea, because The Future.

BlitzBlast posted:

Be careful of really tiny pieces you can't take out again though.

Add to this any part where the edges become enclosed or trapped upon assembly — examples include the RX-78-2's rifle scope sensor, Exia or 00's GN Condenser domes, and the X/DX's solar panels.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 26, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So... you finish the whole kit, and prime the whole thing in one shot? Wouldn't that stick the joints, or I guess you just tape that up?

drat, this is a lot harder than I thought... I want to pick the right method :ohdear:

you can finish the model, then part it back into its major pieces, arms, legs, torso, etc. Also you can scrape paint off the parts where they connect thus removing the primer/paint/whatever so they dont become too thick.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Dre2Dee2 posted:

If it helps there isn't a "right" method, just what you find best. Get some cheap HGs and try both! See what is best for you!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gunpla Is Freedom

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I probably already know the answer to this, but do magazines such as hobby japan ever get reprinted or restocked. I just want a copy of the may issue with the honoo parts, just don't want to pay $89 on ebay for them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ka0 posted:

I probably already know the answer to this, but do magazines such as hobby japan ever get reprinted or restocked. I just want a copy of the may issue with the honoo parts, just don't want to pay $89 on ebay for them.

Just wait for a third party to copy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TaurusOxford posted:

Just wait for a third party to copy them.

You're both terrible

http://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/?page_id=121&id=1143358