Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Also the exploitation of disabled actors? I guess you just shouldn't hire people unless their abled body in that reviewers mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm very sorry that a person on a website did not like your favorite movie

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Milky Moor posted:

only in CD could there be goons who think someone who unironically uses the word 'orientals' is worth listening to

It's a common academic term because the standard book on the subject is called Orientalism

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hemale in pain posted:

Also the exploitation of disabled actors? I guess you just shouldn't hire people unless their abled body in that reviewers mind.

Love when white tumblrites are like "stop exploiting the differently abled" and meanwhile dudes out there in wheelchairs going to auditions can't get the part as "disabled veteran" because a dude with legs got the role.

Also, this type of poo poo:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

I'm very sorry that a person on a website did not like your favorite movie

It be fine if they weren't making stuff up to fit their narrative.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shadeoses posted:

You could probably push an argument that Max is like a roaming samurai, supremely skilled in battle and possessing something of an honourable demeanour, but lacking the lord, subjects, and estate that would let him find purpose and contentment.

Mad Max is French?

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Can you elaborate on this? The film chooses, basically, fashion models for us to care about rather than any of the far more miserable underclass who have water rained on them, or the milk women, and it's not even discussed what happens to women who aren't breeders or milkers or good fighters like Furiosa. It's perfectly valid to compare this to capture-rescue films and is a real weak point of the film in my opinion. I don't see how your question about redemption follows on, except that you might be implying we do in a very indirect way care about all the other women because Furiosa has some guilt about exploiting them.

Right, there is obviously a reason why Furiosa chose them in particular and not some random group of women. (You could also ask why Joe immediately suspects that Furiosa has taken his wives when he finds out that she has left the road.) The point is that Furiosa initially considers the wives crucial to her own redemption. She later finds out that she was chasing after a mirage all along. To find redemption she has to save society as a whole and not just a small group that she feels personally responsible for. How does that fit into the captivity narrative? How would that work in The Searchers? All of this is ignored in the review, which instead presents us with two separate stories: 1) The liberals Max and Furiosa save the pretty white women from the oriental savages; and 2) Max the Christ Figure saves the backward oriental society by bringing it capitalism.

quote:

I'd also like to know what the symbolism of the masks is, since you say the reviewer misunderstood this.

Max in the text of the film is nomadic and has no 'we' but pretty obviously in terms of what he represents, his role as basically a renegade force of law and order and his representation of some kind of normality/civilisation before the chaos, no matter how distorted and degenerated by his time in the wasteland, and his role as the audience surrogate, it's again valid to say that he can act as a representative of liberal capitalism and Western values (kind of literally Western in a film genre sense) against the Other.

The absence of a "we" is important to the captivity narrative and to the very existence of the Other. The rational, liberal society that the review harps on about doesn't exist in Fury Road. This is made abundantly clear when there is nowhere for Max and Furiosa to bring the wives except back where they came from. As you say, Max is in many ways a typical Western (in the "Wild West" sense) hero. But how exactly does he represent capitalism?

quote:

The weak points of the review for me are the very simplistic conclusion (come on, there's got to be some implicit criticism and warning when the celebratory act of the new liberal rulers is to wastefully rain down their one precious resource onto the peasant hordes while being lifted above them in exactly the same way as the 'bad' rulers did and in the same wasteful and unequal way that presumably caused the first collapse) and the lack of mentioning characters like the bullet farmer which I don't think fit too well with their premises.

The ending is optimistic even if it's vague on details. It gets the most important point across; that the oppressed are in charge and that the future is in their hands. The review distorts or ignores anything that doesn't fit with its narrative.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's about an army of literally white men domineering and oppressing because they believe the nonsense their religious old white man boss tells them, while his allies in the power and military industries help him out. Never mind that it's conception grew through the gulf wars, this kind of critique is openly presented in the film, it's hardly subtle about it.

The fact that there's barely a single person who isn't white in the film is a problem I definately have with the film, but there's no mistaking who the films guns are aimed at either.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I hope to see more people with disabilities starring in future Mad Max films, hopefully driving monster trucks or wielding chainsaws.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Random Integer posted:

Just back from seeing it again, definitely easier to take it all in the second time.

Some things that I noticed which have probably already been discussed a dozen times here but which I missed/was confused by on first viewing.

When Max asked Furiosa 'So, done this before?' and she replied 'Many times but never with a War Rig' it confused me first time because I though he was asking if she'd traveled to the Green Place before and clearly she hadn't done that many times. In context though they were talking about Furiosa being captured as a child so 'So, done this before?' means 'Tried escaping before?' to which her response makes perfect sense.

For some reason I took this to mean that she's done it many times before in her head but this is the first actual real escape attempt she's made. v:v:v

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

I hope to see more people with disabilities starring in future Mad Max films, hopefully driving monster trucks or wielding chainsaws.

I unironically do

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Seeing more aborigines with chainsaws would also be really cool, I'm down for that as well.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah and I think there was a selfish, calculated revenge element in saving the wives. Furiosa not only wants to help them, she wants to hurt Immortan. Stealing the War Rig is an insult and a material loss in itself, but it is still just a big truck full of water. The wives are Immortan's prized, unique, deeply treasured personal belongings. Nothing else she could steal is as personally wounding and embarrassing for Immortan as those women getting away over the horizon with his potential children to boot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stealing the wives robs him of his fertility and neuters his desire for a healthy son.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Pretty sure it was all about our modern social media interactions. Joe was facebook, a behemoth capturing societies zeitgeist and twisting it towards propagation of self (ad revenue).
Max was twitter, a self with identity trying to come to terms with itself, but instead falling for what ever agenda came along and hijacks. Furiosia was females using the Internet and social media, something that went against the traditional society of the Internet, aiming to get back to a previous times before the trolls, that no longer exists, and then redirects back to the heart, to destroy the ill defended base, when those who defended the ill constructed traditions went on a wild goose chase to destroy what they could never catch and never understand.

Twitter was the spiked vw's destroying both good and bad, and qq was the weird marsh people that everyone sees for a second, does not understand then forgets.

something awful is Nux, we had a good charterer act, we start off in a misguided cult, praying to please a god who was not, become more progressive as we found a new SJW god to please, but then destroy ourselves before true redemption, because the cancer of the early Internet wastelands cursed upon us was going to get us anyway, so we self suicided in a the blissed progressive way , so we could still reach Valhalla under our new good, AKA Tumblr, or possibly Pinterest.

Gastown is reddit. Bullet farm, 4chan. I believe both of those are self evident. The five wives being the majority of the Internet caught up in all that bullshit.

Google is post-apocalyptic Australia because it is awe-inspiring, terrifying, and shall seen encompass the entire world.

For the better.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 29, 2015

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Stealing the wives also removes his chance for immortality through healthy descendants.

That ridiculous reviewer also said "But by the third film, 1985’s Beyond Thunderdome, society has completely descended into anarchy." Anyone who can look at Barter Town and describe it as anarchy has no right to write for something calling itself 'Jacobin'. Bloody poseurs.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hang on how can both Max and a spiked VW be Twitter

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shadeoses posted:

I hope to see more people with disabilities starring in future Mad Max films, hopefully driving monster trucks while wielding chainsaws.

Not an empty quote. :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Shadeoses posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

Not an empty quote. :)

Same. Ideally actual people with disabilities playing the roles, too, though most people seemed to love Charlize Theron anyway. I have older relatives who are in wheelchairs due to polio as babbies and they are some of the biggest car nuts I know. With a few modifications they're able to drive whatever they please. Anyone with prosthetic legs is on easy street.

Bring CORPUS COLOSSUS back for the sequel. I don't care if he's a hero or a villain, his actor is rad and I want to know more about the character.

Shadeoses posted:

Seeing more aborigines with chainsaws would also be really cool, I'm down for that as well.

Also this

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 29, 2015

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shadeoses posted:

Hang on how can both Max and a spiked VW be Twitter

Max and the spiked VW were the same character, at war with itself. The VW are past twitter identities, corporates, identified and destroyed, not just by Max another part of twitter, but facebook and other social media as well.

Twitter is all about inter-self conflict, with destructions of old identities, and creation of new, being inherent, but at the end of the day no matter how many people tell stories about you, you well always be wondering off again alone into the destructive wastelands of the Internet.

You will not find fault with this deconstruction, it is :perfect:

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 29, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Agreed, with one caveat: Corpus Colossus should continue the proud Mad Max tradition of same actor, different role.

e: Is Humungus and/or Wez still alive? That poo poo would be :perfect:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Now I'm thinking of prominent Australians with disabilities who should be in the next film. I'd pay good money to see Adam Hills in a black vinyl codpiece with nipple pasties.

e: oh yes he's perfect

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 29, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I must double post to bring you this gift from the Auspol crew thread:

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Agreed, with one caveat: Corpus Colossus should continue the proud Mad Max tradition of same actor, different role.

e: Is Humungus and/or Wez still alive? That poo poo would be :perfect:

Wez is, he recently did a convention where he recited all his lines from Commando.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

But what's the gif named?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Network Pesci posted:

I'll tell you but there'll have to be two hours of explosions and sweet car crashes first.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Network Pesci posted:

:ihavebeenstrappedtohoodofacarwhilemybloodisbeingtakenfrommeandthisiscausingmygrievancebutiammoreangryaboutmyvehiclebeingstolen:

e, :feminazi:

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 29, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

:orientalism:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
:whereismax:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
:bloodbag:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Went to see San Andreas today, a movie where the Rock dodges an entire continental shelf falling apart, and Jesus it was boring. Fury Road was playing ten minutes later in a different screen and by the first hour I was wishing I'd just gone to see that again instead.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

:ihavebeenstrappedtohoodofacarwhilemybloodisbeingtakenfrommeandthisiscausingmygrievancebutiammoreangryaboutmyvehiclebeingstolen:

Is this based on something? As far as I remember, Max never voiced his opinion on being strapped to a car, and so how he felt shall forever remain a mystery.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TerminalBlue posted:

Though it'll still be playing at other theaters in the area, today's the last day it's playing at mine. I am entirely inconsolable about this. :cry:

Yeah bro, I know how you feel. I shall call the local cinema and ask if i can get some of the Mad Max movie posters. Then i can look at that while waiting for the blue-ray release.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Jeez y'all are getting mad for no reason.

Orientalism refers to purported social and cultural differences between countries, not to race.

Jabba The Hutt is a green slug (for example), but is also the most blatant orientalist stereotype ever. And Joe is more similar than different.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Battle Rockers posted:

He also talks about being the conductor of the choir of something or other. Also I don't think we have to use spoiler tags anymore.
Conductor of the choir of death, iirc.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mantis42 posted:

Is this based on something? As far as I remember, Max never voiced his opinion on being strapped to a car, and so how he felt shall forever remain a mystery.

He complains and grumbles while strapped to the car. First he groans about how they stole his blood and now they are taking his car when he sees his V8 drive past. Then when Nux hits the nitro to speed ahead of joe, Max yells "oh gently caress off" So its clear he does not entirely like the experience of being a human hood ornament.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 29, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
That's one interpretation. But how can we know his intent if he doesn't explicitly state his feelings?

"First they take my blood and now they take my fucken car" could just be an expository dialogue to remind us of the Interceptor being his property, much like Joe proclaims the wives are his property.

Because Max doesn't say "I am angry at these events", we can only make guesses, as your interpretation is no more or no less accurate than that of others.

e: Personally, I feel that he voluntarily went on the ride with Nux, as Nux is a friendly African American surrogate, and the anger on Max's face is due to him struggling with his innermost feelings on post-modernism and neoliberalism and their conflict with his views on Palestine, as represented by the pregnant blonde wife, Charlize.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 29, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

That's one interpretation. But how can we know his intent if he doesn't explicitly state his feelings?

"First they take my blood and now they take my fucken car" could just be an expository dialogue to remind us of the Interceptor being his property, much like Joe proclaims the wives are his property.

Because Max doesn't say "I am angry at these events", we can only make guesses, as your interpretation is no more or no less accurate than that of others.

e: Personally, I feel that he voluntarily went on the ride with Nux, as Nux is a friendly African American surrogate, and the anger on Max's face is due to him struggling with his innermost feelings on post-modernism and neoliberalism and their conflict with his views on Palestine, as represented by the pregnant blonde wife, Charlize.

Don't be stupid.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Don't be stupid.

username + post combo, peak :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
"How does max feel about being strapped to the front of a car" is deadest of dead strawhorses. Please stop beating it.

• Locked thread