Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dogsicle posted:

but people are wary of Toyshop Japan Hobbyone on Amazon.

No, that's the one people keep recommending. That is the exact opposite of being wary of them.

e; vv they also declare value correctly so you don't end up slammed with customs and handling if you're in the UK. They're real good.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I managed to get an MG Zaku II J 2.0 for a cool $35 with Amazon Prime thanks to Toyshop Japan Hobbyone. I consider them my main source for MGs.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I have definitely seen people advise others to avoid Toyshop Japan Hobbyone on the grounds that their shipping is really cheap and packages can end up getting wrecked. The thing about Amazon Prime is that if a product is Prime, then it's already in the United States in an Amazon warehouse, so it's safe to order from TSJHO. Otherwise, there's at least some risk to it, I guess.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, that's the one people keep recommending. That is the exact opposite of being wary of them.

e; vv they also declare value correctly so you don't end up slammed with customs and handling if you're in the UK. They're real good.

There have definitely been people recommending against them in this thread, maybe not recently. This also isn't the first time somebody has asked which seller people avoid on Amazon, so I'm pretty sure people at least remember their bad rep despite several people having experience to the contrary.

which is great because it's super nice to have a Prime option for kits, even some older ones.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have definitely seen people advise others to avoid Toyshop Japan Hobbyone on the grounds that their shipping is really cheap and packages can end up getting wrecked. The thing about Amazon Prime is that if a product is Prime, then it's already in the United States in an Amazon warehouse, so it's safe to order from TSJHO. Otherwise, there's at least some risk to it, I guess.

Didn't know that.

I just remember that I ordered a handful of kits from them in early January this year and the packaging was completely horrible and I remain in shock that I got everything undamaged. IIRC, the kit boxes were just stacked on top of each other and put in another box that just perfectly fit them. Barely any room to even shift. However, there was no padding at all.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

closeted republican posted:

I managed to get an MG Zaku II J 2.0 for a cool $35 with Amazon Prime thanks to Toyshop Japan Hobbyone. I consider them my main source for MGs.

What's the difference between the 2.0 J and F? I keep seeing both on Amazon and I can't see any difference between them in photos.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
F has a different gun, backpack and more thrusters all over.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I got one of the System Weapon kits.

Its kinda pricey for a pair of accessories but a bunch of mix and match parts to make a beam rifle is entirely my kind of poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gundam Guy has a progress report on the best Origin suit.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Yeah, that suit is pretty boss.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

I legit want that kit. A Thunderbolt Zaku I would be a great compliment for it, since they both have similar color schemes.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I impulse bought the Tryon 3 today after seeing it's glory up on a shelf, super pumped to start building that. The store I went to also had a Tallgeese III, which I am seriously going to consider after a couple of paychecks.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

That looks awesome :eyepop: It's the longest of long shots, but I seriously hope they make an R/MG of it down the road. Being able to see the interior of that thing would be super cool.

Also thanks for the post about that RX-78-2, Bimmi! I'm working on the frame right now, and it's been a great introduction to the MG scale.

Speaking of, does anyone have any experience with the MG Aile Strike Remaster? Any tricky bits to watch out for our stuff that just doesn't work how it's supposed to? $40 seems like an okay price to not have to deal with overseas shipping, and Dalong's review of it is practically glowing, but I dunno.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The worst thing I can say about is that the connections on the Aile Striker's wings are really flimsy, especially compared to the Impulse's Force Silhouette. It's a really, really good kit otherwise.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

I love everything about this but I will never ever buy it.

e: reminds me of this thing:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 9, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bimmi posted:

The Agg is so ridiculous and cartoony it somehow becomes cool in its own way.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

closeted republican posted:

The Agg is so ridiculous and cartoony it somehow becomes cool in its own way.

It also took me the longest loving time to figure out what the hell it was after I randomly bought the kit from a local model shop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I got one of the System Weapon kits.

Its kinda pricey for a pair of accessories but a bunch of mix and match parts to make a beam rifle is entirely my kind of poo poo.

Which one did you get?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bimmi posted:

That weathering makes the kit look really dusty

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bimmi posted:

:swoon:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which one did you get?

03, the one with the 0083-style beam rifle and ground-type shield.

Also I got a promo sticker sheet with it.

I know its all Zeon iconography, plus Char and Kycilia's insignia, but I can't figure out what the globe/basketball in the center is from and its been driving me crazy.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Where'd you get your System Weapon 03? I've been on backorder on HLJ for a month now.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I know its all Zeon iconography, plus Char and Kycilia's insignia, but I can't figure out what the globe/basketball in the center is from and its been driving me crazy.

Since its all Zeon and there's three stars, I wonder if its a Side 3 emblem?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Give it up for the Side 3 Globetrotters

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I took a break from studying for a bit to catch up on various shows, and took the time to finally mess around with that BTF ZZ kitbash in my backlog. I only looked at the upper torso since I didn't have that much time though.

First was just a general comparison of sizes. As expected the torsos are completely different sizes so this won't be as easy as taking the MG's parts and bashing them onto a frame. Surprisingly, there isn't any side-to-side movement in the BTF ZZ beyond a general ball joint wiggle. Which I guess is still better than MG ZZ since it's something, but BTF ZZ doesn't have a core fighter after all.

The arms are about the same length, and mostly differ in width. This is a huge relief, since the arms are one of the worst parts of the original MG ZZ.

MG FA ZZ actually comes with the parts for the regular ZZ's shoulder flaps, but I must have thrown them out or something. Looking at this, I could use the BTF's to make a vanilla ZZ, but I'm still not sure if I want the end result to just be FA ZZ or be capable of swapping out. Or if I even want FA ZZ at all since

this really doesn't look all that good. And if Bandai keeps up their trend of backwards compatible 2.0s, the inevitable ZZ 2.0 (:pray:) should be compatible with the FA parts...

Anyway the big problem with the FA parts is mostly the giant red bits. This part alone fits on fairly well despite lacking the original MG ZZ's bulk, and the only real problem is

that the missile pod rams into altered armguards. It's an easy fix, but again I'm not entirely sure if I want to bother.

Moving up to the shoulders, the BTF's arms aren't nearly fat enough to fit in the MG's shoulders. I'll have to take the MG's shoulder bit and connect them to the BTF's arm.

And from there I'll have to cut off the shoulder joints on the BTF's and glue them onto the MG's. Shouldn't be that bad.

All in all this seems entirely possible, but I need to figure out the direction I want to take the project first.

You know, after I actually start in a decade.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

El Mido posted:

Where'd you get your System Weapon 03? I've been on backorder on HLJ for a month now.

It's instock at hobby search.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10188562

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, I got it from Hobby Search.

Also, speaking of add-ons, it seems like a really weird oversight that you cant use the Powered Arms backpack with the GM Cardigan. I get that its basically a kit from the mid oughts with some extra sprues but its the one thing I'd have expected it to attach to with no issues.

Ah well, its not like it has any shortage of peg slots.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

GUNPLA IS FREEDOM

GUNPLA IS also a complete brick in both a positive and negative sense. It's sturdy as all hell, but with all the gubbins on it, it's a nightmare to pose.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Finally found someone selling the original MG Dom, not the Rick Dom, for a reasonable price.

I needs a Dom with the machine gun, dammit.

But but but giant goddamn fuckoff beam bazooka :-(

The MG Dom is a fun build. It doesn't have a true inner frame but it comes together nicely. Seams on the shoulder pauldrons, the spherical shoulders themselves, and the chest, but easily Extra Thin'd and sanded if you so desire. You may want to clip the pegs to get a very tight fit, so snap to test before you commit.

dogsicle posted:

I don't remember any ebay sellers, but people are wary of Toyshop Japan Hobbyone on Amazon. I've bough several kits from them and not so much as a smushed corner on the boxes though.

I've bought two or three kits from them and everything was well-packed, arrived very quickly given the cheap shipping, and had no damage.

MJP posted:

So a while ago I was agonizing over buying an HY2M Dom, and I pulled the trigger on it. I've been documenting the process seeing as there's no real English-language resource. I'm turning the normal Dom into Char Custom metallic colors.

Day 1: how does wiring work i am not good at electronic, also THIS FUCKER IS BIG http://imgur.com/a/dCKbm
Day 2: hurr batteries how am do, also prepping purple parts http://imgur.com/a/gR6OU
Day 3: priming prepped purple parts pretty promptly, also LET THERE BE LIGHT http://imgur.com/a/SH0oD
Days 4-6: SHINY RED poo poo, also HOLY poo poo THIS SHINY RED poo poo ACTUALLY TURNED OUT BETTER http://imgur.com/a/MhpXb

More updates!
Day 7: Tricky-rear end foot wiring http://imgur.com/a/sm8he
Day 8: Tricky-rear end foot wiring Part the 2nd, and some pitfalls with paint get fixed up. Shoulder pauldron seams ITT and the legs come together, with some rather difficult wiring but ONE NEAT TRICK TO MAKE IT EASY, MEIJINS HATE HIM http://imgur.com/a/946jv
Days 9-11 :911: - paintin' thrusters, wirin' leg thruster housings, and finishin' up legs. Also the glorious circular Rick Dong. http://imgur.com/a/Z4lnB
Day 12: Beam guns, backpack thrusters, and I seriously don't know how to paint figures well :-( http://imgur.com/a/7asIW

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I love those writeups. Also good job on the wiring.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I really want HGUC Agg and Agguguy. I love aquatic MS.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Talking of clear parts, how possible is it to make your own? I'm thinking beam blades, chest gems and the like.

Vegeta8259 has two tutorials on resin.This one seems relevant to your needs. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULjXeLytVE

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

GUNPLA IS FREEDOM

GUNPLA IS also a complete brick in both a positive and negative sense. It's sturdy as all hell, but with all the gubbins on it, it's a nightmare to pose.

Yaaaay, you found its single stable pose! Get ready to never touch it again for fear of it tipping over and totally beefing it. The bazooka makes a good counterweight if you notice it's a little too back-heavy, though. I suppose if you have a base for it you could do some flying action poses or whatever, but that's basically The Pose for it when it's standing. It looks really nice with even just a little bit of panel and hose lining, though, which kinda makes up for it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mine is still on the backlog, but every time I see the Zaku Amazing I think its a sexy beast.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I love how monstrous the Beargguy-san looks compared to everything else.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I wasn't ready for how loving MASSIVE MG Dom is.

Jesus christ this thing is HUGE.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah the char Dom I had was the first one I'd built with individual fingers (I think we're talking similar kits?)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

As far as I know, it's exactly the same kit, just recoloured.

Big Dom and Little Dom :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Uh... guys? That crazy custom kitbash guy is now packing heat :ohdear:

How else do you think a Build Burning Gundam fits inside? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Ka0 posted:

I love those writeups. Also good job on the wiring.

Thanks, this is my first build log. The Youtube video I linked gets the credit for the wiring, mostly - the guy in the video is too quiet but he explains well enough for me to duplicate and expand upon/transcribe.

If nothing else, the HY2Ms seem to be rare enough that it merits having something out there somewhere going through the process. I am no reviewer, but hopefully it does something good.

Here's Part 9 - I didn't want to post each time I had one for lack of clutter purposes. http://imgur.com/a/PEnDg

Doms are bulky beasts indeed! The 1/100 is pretty big but as of now, the HY2M (1/60) is at 9 3/4" tall just from feet to top of the upper waist lower joint. I think it might make it to 14" tall, maybe. :getin:

Although take my advice - score some Mr. Color Clear Pink, take that sticker off the mono-eye, and paint the clear pink on instead. It makes a world of difference.