Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

If you are one of those people that really didnt see Stannis dying to Brienne a mile away youre really overthinking it.

To be honest, we haven't seen her kill Stannis. I can imagine that she chooses not to kill him and that he ends up being rehabilitated or redeemed in some way. I mean, it makes sense that she kills him and I won't be surprised if she does but that end result was not shown.

I agree that the show telegraphs things more but part of that is just because we already know a lot of the secrets they are going to reveal so any foreshadowing stands out.

That said, I agree that a lot of the new material they had to come up with just wasn't as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If she spares him, what the hell would Stannis do? Does he still think he's king? Or does give all that up to travel the land to right wrongs and sing grammatically-correct songs?

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Lycus posted:

If she spares him, what the hell would Stannis do? Does he still think he's king? Or does give all that up to travel the land to right wrongs and sing grammatically-correct songs?

Take the black perhaps.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
To draw a parallel. In the books Robert Baratheon starts a war in the name of love, a classical cliche. He sees the prince and future king claim Lyanna and decides that if that's what it takes, he'll take down the entire dynasty and become the king. He succeeds even but alas, tragically she dies in the process.

Similarly in the show, Allister Thorne starts a mutiny with the Night's Watch against Jon Snow in the name of his love for boy rear end. "Damnit" he says to himself, "if that's what it takes to get me that Ollie's boy rear end then Ill kill this Jon Snow rear end in a top hat and become the Lord Commander." He success as well, but alas Ollie was destined for greater things, to be king of Westeros with Daenerys as his queen.

So you see, GRRM in wrong is saying that the show and the books are two different things. They're pretty much the same, just with some characters swapped around here and there. Similar themes and all that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I can never take Alliser Thorne seriously because he looks almost exactly like Father Jack from Father Ted.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

Yeah he's dead, sadly. Slain by a really boring character too. gently caress her and gently caress Ramsay. Two mary sue characters that need to die very soon.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
"Bad pussy"

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
D&D accomplished the nearly impossible task of taking very dull and plodding material, speeding it up, inserting fight scenes and drama filled moments, and make it seem worse

GRRM the ball is in your corner, time to over disappoint

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Tommen tries to get an audience with the high sparrow and is rebuffed.

Basically Tommen is way way to timid to exert any control over them.

I guess I picture that changing once they kidnap and basically start torturing his mother. w/e, I'm just bitching. In the book Kevan basically lets it happen right? I assume he is spending that time consolidating power / his grip on the consul, etc.

Rhgr posted:

The Benjen troll is a thing of beauty. I honestly thought we were gonna get a reveal.

yeah i got trolled too

I wish they had given us some set up / hint of the warg.. I don't know even a wolfs howl or something glimmering in his eye - something. I was expecting to see Mel's shadow on him in the last few seconds, or fire reflected in the blood. If there isn't some hint - it's like they are just pulling it out of their asses. And I mean something more than "Previously on game of thrones... [guy warging into eagle] . Why did they even include that big about Benjen in the "previously..." section anywway. The scene would have worked just fine even if you didn't remember who Benjen was - the fact that Jon jumps up quickly SHOWS you it is important. You don't need loving background on the story to appreciate it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I can never take Alliser Thorne seriously because he looks almost exactly like Father Jack from Father Ted.

That does significantly improve the show, though.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Love thst its been pointed out that Balon Greyjoy wins War of Five Kings.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

Why did they even include that big about Benjen in the "previously..." section anywway. The scene would have worked just fine even if you didn't remember who Benjen was - the fact that Jon jumps up quickly SHOWS you it is important. You don't need loving background on the story to appreciate it.

I liked that. It was a set up to add another layer of surprise/misdirection to viewers that haven't read the book. It makes that scene seem like something totally different and gives the stabbing more impact.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Craggy Island, also known as Castle Black

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I did the classic "what? Is she gonna die here?" while Myrcella was hugging Jaime lol.

What the gently caress is the play there anyway, they have trystane and that boat was like 50 feet away from shore.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I did the classic "what? Is she gonna die here?" while Myrcella was hugging Jaime lol.

What the gently caress is the play there anyway, they have trystane and that boat was like 50 feet away from shore.

I was half-expecting to see Jaime in the distance dive off the ship's deck and start paddling back towards Dorne comedically fast.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sand Snakes vs Bronn dot gif

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 15, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Did I just get spoilered by the loving television show? I'm never watching it again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ZombieLenin posted:

Did I just get spoilered by the loving television show? I'm never watching it again.

you're actually watching the only form of resolution the story will ever have, sadly

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

you're actually watching the only form of resolution the story will ever have, sadly

Every time I see GRRM I think, "man you look worse than Robert Jordan's corpse."

At least there appears to be significant work done on the next novel, so if GRRM eats one to many pieces of bacon and drops dead, something will be published.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Even if GRRM dies by falling on his Amiga and destroys the WoW file, D&D know the ending so at least they'll (badly) deliver on Dany and Arya being the last living characters and Arya kills Dany then life must pay for death so Arya suicides and Groot Bran is so sad he he loses his tree connection and the Night King zombies all of Westeros and it becomes a huge ice zombie leper colony that the people of Essos never go to and Illyrio rapes a lemoncake THE END.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A Major Fucker posted:

the tv iv thread says she's extremely pregnant and tattooed

The TV IV thread also probably thinks this episode was filmed last week and not months ago.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The Cersei walk is done by a body double. It came up constantly in articles back when the scene was getting ready to be shot, since at first she was going to wear an effects suit since the town's church refused to let her walk naked in the streets but eventually gave in.

Gravybong posted:

George still wants to beat the next season, though. No matter what happens, I'll finally get to see something new, unless they fill up the entire next season with Iron Islands Only.

my friend had a good summary of what GRRM's life must be like now: "Imagine being in your 60s and feeling the feeling of 'oh god I forgot to write my paper' but on an absurdly global scale"

Next season is all about the Iron Islands and Young Griff. No mention of the Wall in any way, and then Mereene gets invaded and we get the Knot That Was Promised.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah the heart to heart makes it clear she's about to die. Though it's a pretty good setup for all but ensuring Dorne's gonna go to war since I imagine they're going to have Jamie and Bronn kill the prince with them, since having him turn the boat around and go snake hunting with Jamie, Bronn, and Areo is something we don't deserve. Plus it'd be a hilariously quick slaughter.

ZombieLenin posted:

At least there appears to be significant work done on the next novel

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Finally I get the Battle of Winterfell and it was more than I could have ever imagined! I have no loving idea how this outcome ties in with the pink letter and poo poo.

Of course the most faithful scene to books all season is the walk of shame.

Jaime getting a second of true fatherly connection was good.

Dorne was bad and not redeemed in any way whatsoever. It didn't even end on a hint of Doran having something up his sleeve all along WTF?

Benjen troll was good.

No Danyrreah was bad, but that was always wishful thinking.

poo poo season but bring on on the plot developments next year, I guess.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
something happened, that's good enough for me

also show-watchers finally, finally understand.

they understand.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

Finally I get the Battle of Winterfell and it was more than I could have ever imagined! I have no loving idea how this outcome ties in with the pink letter and poo poo.

Of course the most faithful scene to books all season is the walk of shame.

Jaime getting a second of true fatherly connection was good.

Dorne was bad and not redeemed in any way whatsoever. It didn't even end on a hint of Doran having something up his sleeve all along WTF?

Benjen troll was good.

No Danyrreah was bad, but that was always wishful thinking.

poo poo season but bring on on the plot developments next year, I guess.

We got Varys and Tyrion in Meereen. gently caress "Barristan Fixes Meereen", I can't wait to see the two of them go to work on the place. It might end up almost not being a irredeemable shithole by the time Dany, Jorah, and Daario get back there with her new gently caress off huge Kahlassar.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

nine-gear crow posted:

We got Varys and Tyrion in Meereen. gently caress "Barristan Fixes Meereen", I can't wait to see the two of them go to work on the place. It might end up almost not being a irredeemable shithole by the time Dany, Jorah, and Daario get back there with her new gently caress off huge Kahlassar.

I'd watch an entire season of Tyrion and Varys trading jabs and ruling a kingdom. Those two compliment one another so well on screen.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Dorne was so loving awful in retrospect, even worse than when we were still waiting for them to magically make it relevant (like "fire and blood" kind of did). So the whole thing was about Jaime wanting to be a dad?

I dont think Jaime and Bronn kill Trystane but someone might once they have him in Kings Landing.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Same. I absolutely love Varys just being a sassy old queen, it rules and id watch a spinoff of just them. I'm actually really looking forward the trash this thread comes with over the next ten months until the next season. I'm not looking forward to shamefully checking r/asoiaf and watching them desperately try to grasp at any and all straws possible. I bet it's gonna be way worse of a spiral than the one leading up to this season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I dont think Jaime and Bronn kill Trystane but someone might once they have him in Kings Landing.

He definitely won't be dead by the time they make it to King's Landing, though I imagine he'll have a few chunks of his face missing or broken beyond recovery by the time he's dragged off that boat.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Jaime is in his hero arc now i dont think he's gonna gently caress up any (more) kids.

I hope GRRM is changing his poo poo heavily. Stannis deserves much better than these last two eps.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Cersei walk is done by a body double.

So did she get a face double as well? There were a couple close shots there, but mostly medium and wide from the front and back, so I don't know wtf.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SaviourX posted:

So did she get a face double as well? There were a couple close shots there, but mostly medium and wide from the front and back, so I don't know wtf.

Superimposing a star actor's face over a body double is stupid easy with CGI these days. They've been doing it since the original Jurassic Park.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

nine-gear crow posted:

Superimposing a star actor's face over a body double is stupid easy with CGI these days. They've been doing it since the original Jurassic Park.
And there was at least one shot where they failed even at that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nine-gear crow posted:

He definitely won't be dead by the time they make it to King's Landing, though I imagine he'll have a few chunks of his face missing or broken beyond recovery by the time he's dragged off that boat.

Cersei, on the other hand, is absolutely going to have him killed while she's busy lashing out at everything when she finds out her daughter's dead.

nine-gear crow posted:

Really high quality masks (latex works best I think?) are also pretty incredible. But yeah, having a body double and putting Lena's face on it for the full on nude shots would not be hard for an effects team to do and I'd imagine they went with that over the mask/makeup option since most up close shots of Cersei are her in a crowd where the actual actress was able to be used.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Invitation{HOG}, M.D. posted:

To be honest, we haven't seen her kill Stannis. I can imagine that she chooses not to kill him and that he ends up being rehabilitated or redeemed in some way. I mean, it makes sense that she kills him and I won't be surprised if she does but that end result was not shown.

He kept looking off to the side too. I thought it meant someone was approaching but I suppose we must wait to see.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The coolest guy in this ep was the sparrow dude who was beating the poo poo out of peasants with his billy club.

Yessss I loved that guy. I wanted him to give one of the flashers a shot to the nuts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The coolest guy in this ep was the sparrow dude who was beating the poo poo out of peasants with his billy club.

How could you forget the shame lady?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bobkatt013 posted:

How could you forget the shame lady?

She didn't break a lady's nose.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dude that yelled gently caress off at Cersei is the prince who was promised.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

nine-gear crow posted:

Cool and all I just assumed they had no budget for that, sandsnakefight.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SaviourX posted:

Cool and all I just assumed they had no budget for that, sandsnakefight.gif

The Walk was probably the reason they had to scrimp on other poo poo, hence sandsnakefight.gif :v: