Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thanks Ants posted:

Who replaced the original packs with the non-APC ones?

Couldn't tell you, these may be older than my time here.

One good thing came of it though. My plan for replacing the batteries every 3 years proactively is being seen as forward thinking and good for safety rather than a waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

the spyder posted:

I just found out we have 200 DiD's because our former IT Manager did not believe in "extensions" :stonk:
Time to party like it's 1994: https://github.com/steeve/ToneLoc

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

bull3964 posted:

One good thing came of it though. My plan for replacing the batteries every 3 years proactively is being seen as forward thinking and good for safety rather than a waste of money.

My predecessor had everything on a 6-8 year replacement cycle. It has been fun trying to get bulged batteries out of 5u, 5000va rack units and I've convinced the bosses to go with 4 year now.

There's one compaq monster labeled as last replacement in 2008 that of course has a bunch of critical poo poo on it. Thankfully we're also generator backed and dual psu devices have each going to a different ups.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DoD/military civilians just in general, and the DoD as a whole. In fact, Federal customers are consistently the worst among all of my customers, including non-profits.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

the spyder posted:

I just found out we have 200 DiD's because our former IT Manager did not believe in "extensions" :stonk:

Is that a problem? Or is it a cost thing? (never worked on phone systems)

I work for a company with over 10,000 employees and everyone with a phone has DiD as far as I know.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, in my place everybody gets a DID. 4 digit extension internally, but diallable from the outside at 999-999-extn

We get them for about $1 each, and it's worth the price versus them all crying like babies if you try to take it away to save $1k/month.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I couldn't see operating without DIDs honestly. We've acquired locations that only had a handful of outside lines and they were a pain to deal with. A couple were grumpy they were losing their 3 digit phone number or whatever, but cheered up when they realized they'd be able to take calls without going through a receptionist/phone tree.
I guess if you don't have a phone person that knows how to keep them in line it could get out of hand though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

less than three posted:

Yeah, in my place everybody gets a DID. 4 digit extension internally, but diallable from the outside at 999-999-extn

We get them for about $1 each, and it's worth the price versus them all crying like babies if you try to take it away to save $1k/month.

A university I used to attend did that for the entire campus. It's a small town/state too, so the university had 123-321-xxxx all to itself. So if someone gave you a number that was 321-2314 you knew that they either lived or worked on campus.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is dumb and I'm tired of it, sometimes you are actually friends with people at work, just tell a dude if you want to tell a dude, jesus, not everything is a conspiracy.

If someone needs to ask the intertubes how they should break it to their coworkers then I assume they are not actually friends with that person at work and cannot just tell the dude. I mean, if he could, then he would probably have said "Hey dude, guess what, I *blah blah*" instead of checking around with people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Who replaced the original packs with the non-APC ones?

One thing the company I work for sells is batteries. Like ones for golf carts and motorcycles and poo poo like that. Well, one day a long time ago someone in purchasing found out we could SAVE MONEY by using some battery model we sold instead of the replacements from APC, so guess what we're running?

They're almost the same batteries so it might not be a big deal but it's a scary way to save a hundred bucks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

less than three posted:

Ours are just loving random. My DID is 921-0261 but then someone else's is 777-9951 or something stupid

YOU COULDA GOT A WHOLE BLOCK OF THEM AND USED THE EXTENSION #

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

One thing the company I work for sells is batteries. Like ones for golf carts and motorcycles and poo poo like that. Well, one day a long time ago someone in purchasing found out we could SAVE MONEY by using some battery model we sold instead of the replacements from APC, so guess what we're running?

They're almost the same batteries so it might not be a big deal but it's a scary way to save a hundred bucks.

If they're the same size, style, and discharge rating, why wouldn't you? They're just sealed gel lead-acid batteries, there isn't anything super special about them. APC gets them from the same factory in Micronesia that all the other battery OEMs do.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is dumb and I'm tired of it, sometimes you are actually friends with people at work, just tell a dude if you want to tell a dude, jesus, not everything is a conspiracy.

Really he knows his friend and work situation best but I would generally caution against telling your current employer/coworker anything until the ink is dry on your new hire paperwork at the new place. Having been burned once myself and having seen others get themselves into trouble as well. You don't have to be a dick and charleston your way out while you sing take this job and shove it but be smart and look after yourself first.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If they're the same size, style, and discharge rating, why wouldn't you? They're just sealed gel lead-acid batteries, there isn't anything super special about them. APC gets them from the same factory in Micronesia that all the other battery OEMs do.

I know, but if they aren't 100% the same maybe they haven't been tested in a unit or something. Just wouldn't be worth saving $100 and have something bubble up, leak, or worse.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

I know, but if they aren't 100% the same maybe they haven't been tested in a unit or something. Just wouldn't be worth saving $100 and have something bubble up, leak, or worse.

All the batteries have the same general failure modes when they get old. Running the batteries harder than designed just makes those failure modes happen faster. Your best bet is to just change the batteries every 3 years.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

poo poo that pisses me off: sending me code reviews at 9pm and then immediately IMing me to ask me to review them.

I get it, not everyone works in the same time zone. And because I get that, I generally allow 24 hours for my own changes to be reviewed by other people, not 24 minutes. If customer-facing services are on fire and it's urgent you get this change in right now to fix them, you should be sending it to the current oncall, who is probably already working on it. Otherwise, it can wait until tomorrow morning.

(And if it can't wait until tomorrow morning because you have a deadline for launching a feature and left everything to the last minute...well, maybe the oncall is having a quiet evening and will take pity on you. I've done that before. But if I'm not currently on call I probably don't even have my work laptop handy and can't help you even if I wanted to.)

This is at least not as bad as the time a newbie in Japan didn't realize that sending email to "[my team]-oncall" doesn't go to the oncall's inbox, it pages them immediately, and sent me a non-urgent change for review at 4am my time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Really he knows his friend and work situation best but I would generally caution against telling your current employer/coworker anything until the ink is dry on your new hire paperwork at the new place. Having been burned once myself and having seen others get themselves into trouble as well. You don't have to be a dick and charleston your way out while you sing take this job and shove it but be smart and look after yourself first.

My boss now is a good friend of mine, and he's always telling me personal things and then telling me not to tell anyone. But not like "I'm a drug addict" but like "I got a new universal remote for my TV, but don't tell anyone about my home theater."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Holy goddamned poo poo, people, firewalls are not loving magic boxes that can reach deep into your layer 3 network. If something is broken at another site and the firewall isn't in the path, then it's not the loving firewall blocking your poo poo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pissing me off today:

A developer makes a servlet run away, causing a Tomcat to use up all the threads. The rest of the processes on that server under that user stop working. The PM wants me to figure out why maxing out the threads on a server causes the system not to work, and then configure in such a way where having no available threads isn't a problem for the rest of the processes.

Hey buddy, how about you figure out why that servlet is occupying 8192 threads when trying to just generate a PDF?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You don't have to be a dick and charleston your way out while you sing take this job and shove it but be smart and look after yourself first.

Why didn't you suggest this to that potato head guy who lawyered up and disappeared? (I know, it wouldn't be a good idea with a psychopath boss).

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Pissing me off today:

A developer makes a servlet run away, causing a Tomcat to use up all the threads. The rest of the processes on that server under that user stop working. The PM wants me to figure out why maxing out the threads on a server causes the system not to work, and then configure in such a way where having no available threads isn't a problem for the rest of the processes.

Hey buddy, how about you figure out why that servlet is occupying 8192 threads when trying to just generate a PDF?

God drat. I feel you.

Everyone elses loving lovely code at my work is somehow my issue that I just need to work around.

Oh, you have an cache updating mechanism in your system? It's broken? Right, I just need to roll my own thing that updates the cache in your system from scratch. Easy. Thanks.

Oh, the dependency you want to use doesn't build on Windows? You only have Ubuntu on your laptop to test with? That's cool, let me just migrate 100% of everything from our Windows machines to Ubuntu Server. Again, easy.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 18, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

psydude posted:

Holy goddamned poo poo, people, firewalls are not loving magic boxes that can reach deep into your layer 3 network. If something is broken at another site and the firewall isn't in the path, then it's not the loving firewall blocking your poo poo.

Lies. Lies.
The firewall is always the problem.
Unless you are comcast, then your firewall is ~never~ the problem, even though it is.

gently caress comcast.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Siochain posted:

Lies. Lies.
The firewall is always the problem.
Unless you are comcast, then your firewall is ~never~ the problem, even though it is.

gently caress comcast.

gently caress vendor support agents that tell me to turn off the firewall before they'll do any other troubleshooting. Almost as bad as having me turn UAC off.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Deploying a service that was bought without input from IT.

Vendor: We recommend that you run the service under a domain account. The account needs to be in the Domain Admins group.
Me: Kindly go gently caress yourself with a chainsaw.

I didn't say that, but the tone of my reply suggested something along those lines.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

Deploying a service that was bought without input from IT.

Vendor: We recommend that you run the service under a domain account. The account needs to be in the Domain Admins group.
Me: Kindly go gently caress yourself with a chainsaw.

I didn't say that, but the tone of my reply suggested something along those lines.

I used to get into a huge fight with the guys I worked with at my old job, we sold an appliance that ran Windows7 (!!!!). Clients would call in with problems, and the first thing the techs troubleshooting would do is disable UAC and set the program to run as an administrator. The nature of our software meant it had to be public facing, and a lot of times the PC was just on the public internet with a public IP address and everything. (I know I know, I tried to avoid this but whatever). I can only image how happy it'd make a hacker to find an not updated, not maintained, no UAC, or firewall Windows 7 PC right there, often times with a second NIC right on the customers LAN.

No one believed me that it was a bad idea. They have ESET AV on them, so what's the big deal. One can only yell so much.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

flosofl posted:

Is that a problem? Or is it a cost thing? (never worked on phone systems)

I work for a company with over 10,000 employees and everyone with a phone has DiD as far as I know.

More of just a general wtf. We have maybe 100 staff? About half those have desk phones. I'm still just amazed that my IDF's all have handsets with DID's.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

the first thing the techs troubleshooting would do is disable UAC and set the program to run as an administrator.
My last job had us do the same thing. It was my first foray into IT and I didn't know any better. If not for your description I'd wonder if I was on the other end with you guys.

Hell, looking back I now know that we probably should've been putting it into Windows XP compatibility mode, too. If people had custom DPI settings we basically told them to gently caress off, sorry you can't read our broken rear end program's fonts.

What a poo poo show that job was.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

No one believed me that it was a bad idea. They have ESET AV on them, so what's the big deal. One can only yell so much.

Sounds like a job for an hour at a coffee shop with a spoofed mac address.

I actually wonder how many "we experienced a hack" situations are just internal white-hat whistleblowers who are sick and tired of being told to piss up a rope when they bring up issues because "it hasn't been a problem yet".

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Finance guy: not only did you lay a meeting on my calendar that I had blocked but it was marked Out Of Office. Do you really think I was just holding it for your special meeting? Nope, Decline!

Also anyone on the west coast who is not apologetic about scheduling a late meeting for us east coast people. I'm flexible depending on the importance and my schedule allows but don't expect my to be available at 7pm

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Fool posted:

gently caress vendor support agents that tell me to turn off the firewall before they'll do any other troubleshooting. Almost as bad as having me turn UAC off.

Turning UAC off is dumb, but you wouldn't believe how many times I've had to resort to telling people to turn their firewalls off before they'd believe it's the problem.

I can show them wireshark logs, explain what's going on, and more until I'm blue in the face. I know it's the firewall. They don't know how to configure the goddamned thing, so they pretend it's not. They finally get their IT guy in (who's from a MSP and is like their worst guy on staff, every time) who fumbles around for three hours and finally turns it off. Then voila! Our stuff works again.

gently caress lovely companies who don't know how their own firewalls work and try to blame that poo poo on me.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

psydude posted:

DoD/military civilians just in general, and the DoD as a whole. In fact, Federal customers are consistently the worst among all of my customers, including non-profits.

Oh my god yes. And the amount of stupidity i heard from fedgov clients.

The last one I heard from this job before I quit was "Your firewall is blocking traffic to localhost. Please fix ASAP."

Right before that, was explaining to a govt contractor that no, two processes cannot bind to the same ip port. SSH uses port 22, your custom whackjob sftp poo poo cannot ALSO use port 22. You will need to install it on a different port, or disable openssh.

Tomorrow is my last day, tho i've already pretty much checked out. I have all next week off, then newjob starts. First new job in 8 years. I wonder what new kinds of stupidity I will get to experience.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Turning UAC off is dumb, but you wouldn't believe how many times I've had to resort to telling people to turn their firewalls off before they'd believe it's the problem.

I can show them wireshark logs, explain what's going on, and more until I'm blue in the face. I know it's the firewall. They don't know how to configure the goddamned thing, so they pretend it's not. They finally get their IT guy in (who's from a MSP and is like their worst guy on staff, every time) who fumbles around for three hours and finally turns it off. Then voila! Our stuff works again.

gently caress lovely companies who don't know how their own firewalls work and try to blame that poo poo on me.
To be fair there's a big difference between "Turn your firewall off" and "Configure your firewall to allow this host to communicate with that host on these ports".

The latter is (usually) a perfectly reasonable request. The former is grounds for the previously mentioned suggestion of chainsaw intercourse.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I've been working for my company for 5 years. I'm thinking it's about time to move, but oh god I'm overly paranoid of things going horribly wrong.

I'm not in a great financial situation either, so if something does go wrong then I'm hosed.

Someone I know may have a job lined up for me if I do decide. Decent pay, no having to do night shift, and on call once a month. Sounds great, but again, no backup plan if it goes south.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
At that job, I wasn't supposed to touch client firewalls, but a lot of the time we had to interact with them. I was a network guy, it's how I got the job, since a lot of our clients had network problems that made our gear not work, so I was there to help clients sort that out.

I was helping a client with a firewall problem, they had two internet lines on their firewall, and had configured the inbound NAT rule from one IP and the outbound on another. So the traffic would come in through one line, hit our server, and then on the way our came from WAN2, which would break everything.

Several hours were spent by a colleague on this, and finally he asks me for help. The client is extremely rude, and won't actually let me see the firewall, he says "IT'S WORKING FINE, JUST FIX YOUR EQUIPMENT".

I log into the win7 appliance, and do wireshark, then I log into the remote server, where the other end of the traffic is, and I don't see any of the return packets making it. However I manage the firewall on the return side, so I poke around the logs, and I notice all this weird traffic hitting us at the same time, the right port, but the wrong source IP, as we are trying to test. I mention this to the client and he tells me he doesn't know what I'm talking about. So I ask him to go to IP Goat on his PC and we verify that the weird IP is the IP his computer is browsing the internet from, so clearly they have two IPs on their network. The guy flips out and tells me that means nothing, they have plenty of other devices on their firewall that work fine, ours is just garbage and our support is garbage, and blah blah.

I say "Excellent, you have other working items, can you show me how they are configured so I can duplicate the configuration?"

He screams "HOLD THE HORSES! YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME?"

And I explain, "no no, I'd just like to review how they are configured so I make sure that our NAT rules look the same."

The guy calls me a few obscene words, and hangs up.

He call my manager, who is right next to me to complain that I called him a liar. However the manager was actually listening the conversation.

The manager, who I didn't like, proceeds to confront me about it and accuse me of treating a customer badly. I laugh, since he was right on the phone call with us, and he knows the customer was exaggerating. He doesn't care, and gives me a huge hassle about it, and even has HR meet with me to tell me to not call customers liars and treat them better. It was surreal.

Anyways, I remoted into our unit and found the customer left a browser up logged into the firewall, I screenshotted the configs in the webgui and emailed them to the customer with the errors. They fixed it and never responded about it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ConfusedUs posted:

Basically the problem as I see it is third-party software firewalls.

The Windows built-in firewall is generally solid and rarely needs a manual adjustment. Hardware firewalls are usually sanely defaulted and are less likely to have been messed with by total idiots.

Almost 100% of the time I've had a problem that was actually caused by a firewall, it was whatever pile of poo poo some antivirus vendor whipped up as a checkbox item to become a "security suite". I've never seen a situation where they improved on the Windows Firewall and they usually make things worse. They serve no purpose other than letting the AV vendor's marketing team feel important.

tl;dr: Disabling Windows Firewall is stupid, disabling any other firewall one might find on a Windows box is probably a good idea.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't run Windows firewall on any of my servers because we have everything segmented by VLAN and all ports are closed unless we open them. Yell at me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't run Windows firewall on any of my servers because we have everything segmented by VLAN and all ports are closed unless we open them. Yell at me.

I have it enabled but rules for all ports and protocols open. On 2008 which was probably totally patched by now, there was once issues with certain services if it disabled.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

At some point small business server wouldn't let you turn on the firewall service unless ics was also on. I think this is in 2008 and 2008 r2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have just about lost all patience with our support desk. Our monitoring system will throw in a ticket for a site going down, then five minutes later it will put another ticket in to notify the site went up. This happens roughly every couple of hours. They have been closing the tickets when the site comes back online instead of doing anything to get someone to investigate the reason why it keeps going down.

:suicide:

The only bit of slack I can cut them is that they have wholly ineffective management, but I can't help but die a little inside when I look at their ticketing system, since customers leave when they get that sort of shithouse service, and we need customers so I can keep getting paid.