Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
Don't waste your money, Your BON should have your licences changed over from a provisional to a full license usually 24-48 hours after passing. I literally never saw my results. I tested on July 2nd at 8 AM and my license were active by 10AM July 3rd. 2 Years later and I still have not received results from Pearson VUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Don't waste your money, Your BON should have your licences changed over from a provisional to a full license usually 24-48 hours after passing. I literally never saw my results. I tested on July 2nd at 8 AM and my license were active by 10AM July 3rd. 2 Years later and I still have not received results from Pearson VUE

I don't think VA does a provisional license. At least, there is nothing attached to my name/SSN in their license lookup, and I I can't start my job until after I take (and pass lol) the NCLEX.

Of course, maybe taking it so early can push my start date up? Right now I'm set to start work July 13th...

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

It's been five days for NC and still no license online. I'm about to be one of those annoying people who call the BON about their results/license.

Anyways, Annath, this is the phone number other classmates shared:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Lava Lamp posted:

It's been five days for NC and still no license online. I'm about to be one of those annoying people who call the BON about their results/license.

Anyways, Annath, this is the phone number other classmates shared:

Thanks Dude(tte)!

e: I wonder how soon they update it... Its 7am now, so its not quite been 24 hours since my exam finished...

I think I'll wait til 9am, that way they'll definitely be open for business and such...

Annath fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 16, 2015

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Woo! Officially licensed! (according to the phone system...)

Going to grab lunch and margaritas with one of my classmates. She's buying, which is awesome of her :3:

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
Congratulations!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Welcome to the slavery that is nursing! Be sure to get tons of bumper stickers for your car and when you find somebody drunk outside of a bar passed out, you need to explain to both the patient and the EMT's at least 50 times that you're a registered nurse and you know what you're doing.

bonus points if you're slurring the phrase "i'm a nrrrrseee do cceeepprrr"

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

MurderBot posted:

Welcome to the slavery that is nursing! Be sure to get tons of bumper stickers for your car and when you find somebody drunk outside of a bar passed out, you need to explain to both the patient and the EMT's at least 50 times that you're a registered nurse and you know what you're doing.

bonus points if you're slurring the phrase "i'm a nrrrrseee do cceeepprrr"

I don't want to muss up the paint job on my new car, but otherwise that sounds like a lot of fun.

How soon should I be looking at certs like CCRN and stuff?

I'm already enrolled in an RN-BSN program that starts in August.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Wait till you get your first job before you start delving into that poo poo. Many of the E.R's/ICU's require you to get your ACLS/PALS TNCC ATLS or whatever required certs within 6-12 months of hire. They're gonna pay for that poo poo too, so don't even consider looking for anything like that until you've landed a job where it's either A: required or B: will pay for it.

CCRN, CEN or whatever higher level of cert you want should be done at MINIMUM 6 months after hire. That poo poo can be difficult because it's a lot of specific information to your field that you work in. It's good to get at least a foundation before you start studying away again, and most places don't even require it.

I have to have my Certified Flight Nurse *CFRN* within 18 months of hire. The poo poo is banana's and given that we aren't as busy as say a rotor ambulance service, there's a lot that I'm missing just in the clinical portion that I don't deal with on a daily basis. Get your feet wet in your respective field, and if you decide to continue then maybe a year into it look at getting higher level certs. Also, many employers/departments will pay for higher level certifications, which will save you half a paycheck down the line. They may even have training courses depending on the hospital.

Just get yourself some experience, drink a ton before you start working and settle into your routine. Education is important but learn the ropes first because you embark on another test.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I had a job before I took the NCLEX :)

I start on July 13th working 7p-7a in the Progressive Care Unit.

They are gonna pay for ACLS (I think) and I guess I can talk to them about the other stuff.

The unit manager was totally cool. I told her my goal was to work my way into critical care and eventually the ICU.

She said she loves cross training staff for the ICU, and that picking up extra hours there is definitely a possibility, and a good way to get more experience.

She also has no problem with staff transferring after a year or two, and as long as we've done good work she'll sign us off to go where ever we want.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.
I'm currently in nursing school (clinical portion, two and a half semesters left! :dance:) and I applied to a local community hospital for a combo clerk-aide position on their maternity floor.

I really want this job for the experience in an actual hospital but also as a "foot in the door" type of thing because they'll hire ADNs and will help pay for your BSN as long as we sign a paper saying we'll get the BSN within 5 years. Lots of area hospitals won't hire ADNs even with a promise anymore and I don't want end up cooling my heels in a nursing home while I get the BSN. I also am pretty sure I'd like to do L&D and being on that unit when I graduate - if they like me - could go a long way to getting me where I (think I) want to be.

My (first?) interview is on Thursday and I have no idea what to expect. The only job I've held in the medical field is as an ophthalmic technician and I haven't had to interview in years so I'm way way rusty.

Is there any one question I should make sure I have a good answer for that everyone asks? I'm always bad at coming up with three weaknesses because you can't make them actual Bad Things but you also don't want to be cliche ("I just care too much! :j:").

Basically I suck at interviewing because I'm already really self-conscious and interviews break my brain. Please help.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Annath posted:

Neat Stuff

I assumed you had a job, but I'm lazy at the moment to scroll up through the nursing forum *day off and caught up on all my homework!*

Anywho, the position you're in sounds ideal. Getting good general knowledge experience in a progressive care unit is great. Just be the individual who wants to excel, take classes/CEU's that are relevant to where you want to end up, and go from there. You're locked in to a good system it seems.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 17, 2015

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
Alright, a bunch of stuff just blew up in my face, and I'm desperately scrambling to pick up the pieces.

So, this year in March, I joined a private two year ADN nursing program because it was accelerated and started early. However, I also applied to regular ADN programs in January because I had always planned to transfer/start fresh if I got accepted.

Yesterday, I got a 'conditional acceptance' email from one of the community college's nursing programs for the Fall 2015 semester, asking me to confirm my acceptance. I did so, and in that email I also asked some questions regarding tuition, clinical sites, and the possibility of transferring credits.

This morning I received a reply stating that my acceptance was rescinded because I was in another program. According to her,

quote:

Under the California Board of Nursing grant policies if a student started a nursing program at another college they cannot start at another school.

I then responded that I had planned to leave my private school's nursing program in order to join theirs. Her response was that because she had already rescinded my acceptance, my place in the program was already given to another student, and that the Director of Nursing for that program was made aware of my situation, and would decide whether I'd be put on the alternate's list or be forced to reapply next year.

Is there anything I can do to make this situation as smooth as possible? I'm completely lost on what to do.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Twib posted:

Alright, a bunch of stuff just blew up in my face, and I'm desperately scrambling to pick up the pieces.

So, this year in March, I joined a private two year ADN nursing program because it was accelerated and started early. However, I also applied to regular ADN programs in January because I had always planned to transfer/start fresh if I got accepted.

Yesterday, I got a 'conditional acceptance' email from one of the community college's nursing programs for the Fall 2015 semester, asking me to confirm my acceptance. I did so, and in that email I also asked some questions regarding tuition, clinical sites, and the possibility of transferring credits.

This morning I received a reply stating that my acceptance was rescinded because I was in another program. According to her,

I then responded that I had planned to leave my private school's nursing program in order to join theirs. Her response was that because she had already rescinded my acceptance, my place in the program was already given to another student, and that the Director of Nursing for that program was made aware of my situation, and would decide whether I'd be put on the alternate's list or be forced to reapply next year.

Is there anything I can do to make this situation as smooth as possible? I'm completely lost on what to do.

Can you stick with the Private school? If so ride it out, otherwise speak with the Director of nursing at the CC and explain the situation that you quit your private school due to your acceptance in their school and now you are in a bind because of their actions. Explain how a lot of students wash out of nursing school, you would not be one of those and they will have room once half the cohort drops or fails out and having a degree from their CC meant a lot to you.

Why not finish the accelerated one, did you shoot yourself in the foot there?

Edit: Never burn bridges

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
I haven't burned my bridges yet - I can stick with the private school. I was just really hoping to take advantage of the public nursing program's lower tuition prices. Thanks for the advice.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Twib posted:

I haven't burned my bridges yet - I can stick with the private school. I was just really hoping to take advantage of the public nursing program's lower tuition prices. Thanks for the advice.

You can go to state school for your BSN and save money there- stick it out with your program esp if accelerated. Don't worry about how much it costs, worry about passing exams because that is the real problem in Nursing school.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Absolutely worry about the cost. Your two to four year trade degree education will not differ significantly between institutions that are accredited and established. I'll argue that passing tests in nursing school is the easiest part. You have to jump through a lot of hoops and they'll jerk you around but the material itself is straightforward. Ultimately you're going to end up at a new grad proficiency in what are basic skills, checklists and how to not murder people accidentally. The less you spend the less loans cut into your earnings after. If you're in the west or northwest that may not be an issue but if you're stuck in some podunk backwater hickfest making twenty an hour you may regret ignoring cost.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Now it finally feels real and/or official!!

I'm going to be spending the free time between now and the MASSIVE new employee orientation blitz in mid July doing nothing but playing video games, cooking, and reading my shiny new copy of Critical Care Nursing Made Incredibly Easy

What a fantastic week its been :D

e: blocked out the license number. oops :3:

Annath fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 18, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

:hfive: New RN buddy!

I passed the NCLEX two weeks ago and got hired right after for a day-shift position, sweet delicious day-shift. I kind of want to go back and punch everyone who told me the NCLEX was difficult in the face. Hard. Because that poo poo was a walk in the park after using ATI throughout school.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Congrats both of you! You're making me jealous, I'm still just battling to get in to a BSN program!

*edit* just got an email that I made to an alternate list for GCU's fall cohort, the school that bent me over for the summer program I was applying for. Chances are slim that I'd get in, but even if I did I don't know if I'd say yes because they seem to be spiraling. Evidence: I heard that they literally ran out of clinical spots for their current students and am not sure if they were able to resolve it; they just announced that they're closing one of their satellite locations here in the valley; switching back to non-profit; in general a mess. I have a pretty good chance with a one year program at my state school (and one of their other programs, I'm applying to both), that I would FAR prefer to attend, but if this ends up happening it's tough to turn down an opportunity like this. I'll know in August when I take my placement test (TEAS) how competitive I'll be to the state school. They look at my GPA + my TEAS score and once I know that I'll be able to compare it to past cohorts to know how likely it is I'll be in, but of course thats never a sure thing. Advice? I know this is a case of horse pre cart but I want to figure it out now.

Iron Lung fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 19, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 19, 2016

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
They suck. I had sat OB clinicals. Never saw a delivery. Lame.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Lava Lamp posted:

Did more deliveries working EMS than I did in clinicals.

But I'm a dude and got sent out of the room by the patients on all of my OB rounds :/.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Lava Lamp posted:

Be thankful. Been a nurse four years and still haven't talked to my nurse wife about what I saw at the birth center.

I saw war crimes against vaginas.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
The only delivery I "saw" was healthy mom, healthy pregnancy, whoops something went wrong and baby died. Having to take a baby corpse out of a fridge and pose it for cute postmortem pictures was a pretty rough experience for naive nursing student me, who had never seen anyone die before. It was a perfect little girl, except that she wasn't breathing, she was cold, and stuff kept running out of her nose.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
That's rough.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Koivunen posted:

The only delivery I "saw" was healthy mom, healthy pregnancy, whoops something went wrong and baby died. Having to take a baby corpse out of a fridge and pose it for cute postmortem pictures was a pretty rough experience for naive nursing student me, who had never seen anyone die before. It was a perfect little girl, except that she wasn't breathing, she was cold, and stuff kept running out of her nose.

gently caress

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

Roki B posted:

Be thankful. Been a nurse four years and still haven't talked to my nurse wife about what I saw at the birth center.

I saw war crimes against vaginas.

OB is next semester. I just got married. I told my husband I will be having an affair with a woman in order to remember what vaginas are supposed to look like.

In our 16 week semester, I'll have a 5 week mental health clinical, 5 weeks of peds, and then 5 weeks of vagina mauling. Can't wait to basically fist someone in labor to check their cervix.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Despite being a male nurse, I was lucky enough that several L&D patients let me observe/help out with their births. It's true what they say, guys... that new mama is going to poop the bed.

Also add me to the "helped pose a dead baby for photos during clinicals" group. This baby was a 20-week premi, still born, and looked like a jello mold version of a baby. When we inked up the foot and pressed it to some cardstock for a footprint memento, the bottom half of the foot dehisced and stuck to the paper. I can't personally imagine wanting a dozen photos or a keepsake to remind me of that, but I guess we all grieve in our own way.

Epic Doctor Fetus fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 21, 2015

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I just read this to my wife who made me pinky swear (that's a big deal guys) that if anything like this happened I would not let her take pictures like that. I can't imagine being in that situation, but I am pretty confident we wouldn't be the type of folks who do that, but still. Wow.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

When we inked up the foot and pressed it to some cardstock for a footprint memento, the bottom half of the foot dehisced and stuck to the paper.

:stonk:

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I start my first Big Boy RN job on IMCU tomorrow. Any advice? I'm mainly worried about keeping my information straight- What do you guys use a a brain sheet? I was given a few copies of sheets used by nurses on the floor, but I'm not sure what's best. This is for 4 patients, 5 on midnights. Should I have a binder or something for other papers?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

dissin department posted:

I start my first Big Boy RN job on IMCU tomorrow. Any advice? I'm mainly worried about keeping my information straight- What do you guys use a a brain sheet? I was given a few copies of sheets used by nurses on the floor, but I'm not sure what's best. This is for 4 patients, 5 on midnights. Should I have a binder or something for other papers?

When I started and for a fair number of nurses that are new grad into critical / intermediate care a full sheet is about what you'll need per patient. Will likely be a bit less for IMC but I found it was good for about the first year to have everything on one sheet per patient. These helped me a lot when giving report, helped to formulate a mental model and build a routine for report and thinking about assessment data.

I'd recommend using the fishbone, X and Y for labs rather than listing them out. Just learn their position commit to memory and save on space. Having pertinent values on hand can save you from looking a fool in a few situations.

These are the fishbones I'm like 90% sure these are standard locations for values:

Also formatting vent settings as Setting:Rate/Volume/FiO2/PEEP is a useful shorthand you should migrate to once you're comfortable with settings. It'll look like AC 14/500/50%/5 and usually gets read as such in that order during report. YMMV.

Here's the google doc sheet I used to start with. Should be printed landscape. It has been years since I used it so formatting may be weird but its mostly an example.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fIebBFOa01mCvyma9HvnkPUJVd9XYDSf37LTqg2ayzM/edit?usp=sharing

Here's one from when I was a babby nurse. Look how inefficient all of it is.

they died

Now that I've drunk deep of the Spice Melange I'm a Guild Navigator and brains are meaningless to me.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

dissin department posted:

It depends on what kind of sheets your hospital uses. Some charting systems allow you to print one or two pages that pulls relevant information from previous charting (new orders, VS, labs, medical hx, etc) so you don't have to write every detail down. Don't carry around a binder, it's dorky and you will risk setting it down somewhere and forgetting it, or not having it when you need. Just carry around papers and keep them in your pocket, you throw them out at the end of the shift anyway.

The fish bone method is a good suggestion and makes you look like a pro. Our vent settings are reported in a different order (FiO2, PEEP, rate, and VT), it all depends on your facility and equipment.

My personal preference when I started out was to use the pre-printed paper with the info on it, then flip it over and use the blank back to write down other stuff. MS-painted an example.

Don't really have a reason why I do it like that, it just makes sense in my way of organizing stuff in my brain and for giving report. Some people will box off areas for system reviews (Neuro, CV, Resp) and will document all relevant information under those boxes.

Do whatever you want to until you find something that makes sense in your head and with your organization skills. You will find what works. The more experience you gain, the less you will be needing to write down. If you care for a patient a few shifts in a row you really won't need to write down anything.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
This is one I made. I based it on one I found online, but modified it a bit (as well as typing it all up by hand since the original was a PDF and not easily edited...)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Would not recommend cramming 4 patients information into one sheet.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Or your mouth you demented gently caress.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bum the Sad posted:

Or your mouth you demented gently caress.

:saddowns:

E: I could pretty easily edit it to 2 per sheet. Maybe that would be better?

Annath fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 25, 2015

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

:saddowns:

E: I could pretty easily edit it to 2 per sheet. Maybe that would be better?

Yeah you don't have any room to actually write poo poo. Hell maybe do it one per page. Remember the hospital is paying for the paper and toner not you. You make your drat template and day 1 print a gross of copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just do one per sheet. What are you going to do if they have more than one wound/allergy/procedure/anything that you need to fill in. Better bring in a microscope that fit that poo poo in.