Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I want the Jegan with the giant missiles on the shoulders. Not the missile pods, the GIANT missiles. I think it was an MSV?

Also I really want an MG Jegan :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

I've got a preorder down for the Tiefstürmer too, so we can suffer together. I still need to go back and put the decals on my Xi before their Penelope comes out next month.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I want the Jegan with the giant missiles on the shoulders. Not the missile pods, the GIANT missiles. I think it was an MSV?

That would be the Prototype Stark Jegan.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That would be the Prototype Stark Jegan.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a kit.

Fortunately, something just as badass does.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Unfortunately, it's a P-Bandai exclusive.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

goddamn. that is one spacious cockpit

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

EthanSteele posted:

Congrats on the promotion and your good decision making. I hope to see a wip post when you're finally allowed to put it together.

I sprayed some Vallejo metalics today. The gunmetal, steel and silver all went on perfectly. The gold was a lumpy mess that clogged me up and artic blue didn't play nice either. At least the gold was the right colour, I've been told they had an old formula that was awful. Am I boned on these paints and need new pots, or is there a way to filter? I could pour them through some stockings stretched over the cup I guess? Would that work or do metallics need a certain lumpiness? Should I just keep shaking?

Were these the normal acrylics? Or were they the alcohol-based ones?

If it's the normal acrylics, I've found you gotta add a little more thinner to what you think is proper for Vallejo.

Also a halfway decent idea - if you have a Dremel and a jigsaw, get an old jigsaw blade, cut off/grind off the sharp parts, electric-tape the Vallejo bottle to the blunted blade, and hold down the trigger for maybe 2-3 minutes.

Works like a charm.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MJP posted:

If it's the normal acrylics, I've found you gotta add a little more thinner to what you think is proper for Vallejo.

Also a halfway decent idea - if you have a Dremel and a jigsaw, get an old jigsaw blade, cut off/grind off the sharp parts, electric-tape the Vallejo bottle to the blunted blade, and hold down the trigger for maybe 2-3 minutes.

Works like a charm.

if you want to spend money, badger makes an excellent stirrer for miniature paints that you can use on dropper bottles and pots.

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-121-Paint/dp/B000BROV02

use it with some thinner on lumpy paints of course.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

if you want to spend money, badger makes an excellent stirrer for miniature paints that you can use on dropper bottles and pots.

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-121-Paint/dp/B000BROV02

use it with some thinner on lumpy paints of course.

Isn't it more of a hassle to wash it after each use, though? I'd be paranoid about leaving pigment on it even if it's dipped into a dropper of lacquer thinner and spun.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

MJP posted:

Works like a charm.

Model Air, so even supposedly airbrush cool! I'm gonna shake em up real good and try straining too. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Which appeared first? The Jegan or the Heavygun? Long time ago I picked up a heavygun kit (because it's awesome) then noticed the Jegan in Char's Counterattack and realized they're practically the same suit.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Which appeared first? The Jegan or the Heavygun? Long time ago I picked up a heavygun kit (because it's awesome) then noticed the Jegan in Char's Counterattack and realized they're practically the same suit.

Jegan. The Jegan first appeared in Char's Counterattack, while the Heavygun is from f91.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kingtheninja posted:

The Jegan predates the Heavygun in both timeline and appearance. The Heavygun is a Jegan successor that first showed up in F91.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Woop, my Tryon 3 turned up and the post office didn't even ransom it for more money.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Broken Loose posted:

The Jegan predates the Heavygun in both timeline and appearance. The Heavygun is a Jegan successor that first showed up in F91.

Also its like, what, 2/3s the size?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Gundam Portent was a real pleasure to build, I recommend it highly if you're into the design at all.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, for a vastly overpriced LED light, the Gundam LEDs are pretty low quality. I thought the subtle pulsing was supposed to be a cool effect at first, but it's actually just either a bad switch or bad voltage control making it flicker. And apparently they have a really short battery life, too?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do the more recent gunpla require primer before painting? I keep seeing conflicting opinions on it. I have a space jahannam I was going to try out painting on.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Do the more recent gunpla require primer before painting? I keep seeing conflicting opinions on it. I have a space jahannam I was going to try out painting on.

primer use doesn't really depend on the kits age. Primer helps paint adhere to plastic, covers up minor scratches from sanding and highlights any issues that the kit may have before painting ( such as seam lines not filled properly, uneven surfaces etc).

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, for a vastly overpriced LED light, the Gundam LEDs are pretty low quality. I thought the subtle pulsing was supposed to be a cool effect at first, but it's actually just either a bad switch or bad voltage control making it flicker. And apparently they have a really short battery life, too?

If you use the batteries that they use in hearing aides, they last a little over a month of constant use.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

SpikeMcclane posted:

If you use the batteries that they use in hearing aides, they last a little over a month of constant use.

Do you happen to know what type these are? I've been using LR41.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I think it was size 312. They're pretty much the same size, but the 312 has ~ 6 times the amp hours. It's also 1.4 volts instead of 1.55 so it might be slightly less bright at full capacity?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gunpla is freedom. :allears:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Why is this not a real kit Bandai?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, I'd buy that kit.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
First there's too many Astrays now you want another one, make up your mind people. I want two.

I gave my matte topcoat a little rub with my nail in a hidden spot and you can see the little scratch mark when I hold it up to the light. I probably just need to do another layer to get it super proteced, but I thought I'd check if I have an unreasonable expectation for "scratch resistant" when it comes to topcoat. I'm using Vallejo polyurethane varnish for the matte. Is Alclad II Klear Kote good tough stuff?

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 23, 2015

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

EthanSteele posted:

First there's too many Astrays now you want another one, make up your mind people. I want two.

I gave my matte topcoat a little rub with my nail in a hidden spot and you can see the little scratch mark when I hold it up to the light. I probably just need to do another layer to get it super proteced, but I thought I'd check if I have an unreasonable expectation for "scratch resistant" when it comes to topcoat. I'm using Vallejo polyurethane varnish for the matte. Is Alclad II Klear Kote good tough stuff?

It takes a good 2 days to cure completely.

Edit: also if you're using an airbrush, which it sounds like you are, go for pledge floor care. Protects really well and is cheap as fuark.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Alclad klear kote is acrylic based, if he's using that then there's no need for pledge.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Ka0 posted:

Alclad klear kote is acrylic based, if he's using that then there's no need for pledge.

I mean use it in place of the other clear coats in the future (pun intended).

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Ah should be ok. Alclad also sell a semi-gloss kote, so you don't have to restrict yourself to mirror-gloss or dull matte.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Is all that stuff about temperature ruining spray painting true? I feel a serious urge to finish my custom projects but I don't want to gently caress it all up because this Tamiya primer won't adhere in ninety degree weather or something.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Not sure about temperature, but humidity absolutely does in my experience. Stupid tropical storms have made it a pain to get anything primed lately.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

We know our September slot, it isn't a MG, RG or even Re1/100 It's PG 1/60 Banshee Norn; and I am honestly surprised this one isn't a web exclusive.
The green frames are going to be though, betting on it. :v:

Also HGBF 1/144 Kamiki Burning Gundam, which I am personally a much bigger fan of compared to the Try Burning.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
When do y'all who live in humid areas (like, say, the south part of the States) do your painting, anyway? I'd probably be good year-round where I am now, but after I move, well... :smithicide:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

We know our September slot, it isn't a MG, RG or even Re1/100 It's PG 1/60 Banshee Norn; and I am honestly surprised this one isn't a web exclusive.
The green frames are going to be though, betting on it. :v:

Also HGBF 1/144 Kamiki Burning Gundam, which I am personally a much bigger fan of compared to the Try Burning.

There's also another round of free gear coming for the Summer. First three get released July 25th, the rest on August 8th.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

There's also gonna be another of those 6 sets of customize parts that they send out with HGs too.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

An Angry Bug posted:

Not sure about temperature, but humidity absolutely does in my experience. Stupid tropical storms have made it a pain to get anything primed lately.

Ah, well, poo poo. But if I can spray on a hot day so long as it's dry I think I can live with that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zedd posted:

:psyduck:

Is this why the MG was a web exclusive...?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Someone is going to try to make a PG Plan B and it will bankrupt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
kamiki burning tho