Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I love it when the cast get shocked with a double episode :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
General Korean knowledge question if people know, but whats up with people having business meeting or whatever around midnight. At the very least this show leads me to believe this perfectly commonplace.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you meet at midnight you can have drinks right after!

(or during)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Well, I'm assuming it does, because it's kind of bullshit that the money would be announced as rewarded or removed as a penalty and then be taken away. Hopefully we'll find out what's up at the start of the next episode. Also, if it turns out that Dongmin is the super-secret actual killer, for example, then by the show's rules he's succeeded by the time that Jang is voted the killer. A vote was held, he wasn't picked, he should get everyone's money. I mean they play fast and loose with the "money" anyway, so who the hell knows what's up, but my assumption would be that they are playing a bonus round for even more money. Who the hell knows though, they just do whatever the hell they want

Basically they're pulling D.C. universe reset shenanigans here, and I'm fearful of the precedent. I will acknowledge this win as my version of that one time the Undertaker won by DQ though.

Also I approve of Sub's theory, but I my guess without further evidence is the criminal is Hani

I meant that as a joke, but I have to agree that taking the winnings away from them would be pretty mean.

As for calling it a "D.C. universe reset shenanigan", is the precedent really that terrible? (I know nothing of the D.C. universe except that batman is my favorite)

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Zythrst posted:

General Korean knowledge question if people know, but whats up with people having business meeting or whatever around midnight. At the very least this show leads me to believe this perfectly commonplace.

Yeah, it seems like the businesses in the show have people working very late. In the high school episode too, there were people at the school well past evening, and it seemed totally normal. That would be crazy to me.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I still think The Genius applies in name to Crime Scene. What a show :3:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

What did you all think of the guest? It's made for an interesting change of pace, and clearly he knows what's up. But I'm not sure I'd want him back for another episode, he's so absurdly imposing that he dominated the personalities of the entire cast.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't mind if he appears once per season because of how good he is at questioning people. He's definitely miles apart from the cast when he interrogates them and I like how he can confidently question their motives very promptly. Even as a viewer and not as a cast or one being interrogated, I felt intimidated. It's a weird experience since I never expected a show like this to make me feel that way. It might not be a good experience for some people, but I like it.

He also participated quite well for a guest. It was nice to see the perspective and the thought process of a professional compared to the cast.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

BurningDance posted:

I wouldn't mind if he appears once per season because of how good he is at questioning people. He's definitely miles apart from the cast when he interrogates them and I like how he can confidently question their motives very promptly. Even as a viewer and not as a cast or one being interrogated, I felt intimidated. It's a weird experience since I never expected a show like this to make me feel that way. It might not be a good experience for some people, but I like it.

He also participated quite well for a guest. It was nice to see the perspective and the thought process of a professional compared to the cast.

I've never seen him in anything, but I think he's a regular on tv.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I watched and enjoyed season 1 (Crime Scene), but watched the first 3 episodes this season, and just never got into it. Does it get better?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

JakeP posted:

I watched and enjoyed season 1 (Crime Scene), but watched the first 3 episodes this season, and just never got into it. Does it get better?

I have no idea how to answer this, because I can't get my head around it, but I'm going to say yes.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I did enjoy how the detective in Season 1 found the murder weapon on the movie set crime scene almost instantly. That seemed like a nightmare at first given all the fake weapons from the horror movie.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

ViggyNash posted:

As for calling it a "D.C. universe reset shenanigan", is the precedent really that terrible? (I know nothing of the D.C. universe except that batman is my favorite)

Well, my whole problem with D.C. is they keep rebooting their continuity and changing their characters. There's been at least three different people acting as batman in the past five years or so, for instance. Superman had a new ability that let him basically overload himself and blow up an area around him but left him powerless for awhile, which was an interesting notion since it was actually a refreshing change for him to be a normal human sometimes, and now a few months later he's basically lost almost all his powers. If it were just changes like this I'd be fine with it, but we've also seen reality as the characters know it change drastically like 5 times in the past decade, which to me invalidates much of what the characters have been through and renders past comics pointless. I mean, it's nerd complaints all the way down here, but I think it's a pretty common notion that you should avoid invalidating what a character experiences when possible. They've basically taken an idea similar to "Dexter's sister finds out he's a killer, then a rock falls on her head, and now she's forgotten" and applied it to their entire comic line repeatedly. And each time this happens comic series either end or change drastically, regardless of whether they are good or bad.

But yeah, in crime scene terms they've already changed things up quite a bit, which is fine since they've been consistent with it or had the surprises be fairly sensible or rare. To have the big surprise be "Oh, turns out you didn't actually win any money, time for the real game" invalidates the entire previous episode. Ultimately it's still a variety show and the money doesn't really matter, but I'm invested in the show and to a fair degree buy into the world it's set up, so it would bother me to see that happen.

Oh, and Jang Jin is the best dad, catch the latest BTS clip if you can.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
That last case seems like it was more fun for the writers than the players. I mean, self-insert fanfic, writing a whole fake case with fake roll sheets to be meta about, crossing out all the 2s in Jinho's room, the murder weapon being a clock.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I thought everyone in the last episode that guesses the director won the $2000, and now they are doing a new case.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010

NowonSA posted:

Oh, and Jang Jin is the best dad, catch the latest BTS clip if you can.

Really cute BTS clip :allears:

If I was the kid, then I would've been smug about knowing what role Jang Jin was going to play. It must've been really surprising for him when he watches the episode live. I want to see their reactions.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

BurningDance posted:

Really cute BTS clip :allears:

If I was the kid, then I would've been smug about knowing what role Jang Jin was going to play. It must've been really surprising for him when he watches the episode live. I want to see their reactions.

Yeah, Running Man did a live broadcast at the end of an episode where they pulled a secret twist on one of the cast members, and they released some bonus footage of that person finding out about the twist while watching the episode. It was pretty fun, and I'd love to see some kind of Crime Scene version of it, although since the cast at least knows what's going to happen they'd have to focus on friends and family members.

captain innocuous posted:

I thought everyone in the last episode that guesses the director won the $2000, and now they are doing a new case.

That's probably how it is, I'm just overreacting to stuff from being a super Crime Scene fan. I'm basically a Korean netizen regarding this show at this point.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

JakeP posted:

I thought season 2 was all around better than season 1 so I don't know, if you didn't like any of the first 3 eps of season 2 then you probably won't like the rest because it's been similar to that.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
But how could you not like them honestly

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, Running Man did a live broadcast at the end of an episode where they pulled a secret twist on one of the cast members, and they released some bonus footage of that person finding out about the twist while watching the episode.

Which episode was that?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

Which episode was that?

It's a few week's ago, air date May 17th, episode number 158 on Drama Fever. The title of the episode is the Desirable Kwang Soo race.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm like 6 episodes behind on Crime Scene but as a reminder, The Genius is back on Saturday! :dance: :krad: :getin:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
extreme ways are back again

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
They better be! :argh:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wonder if the rest of them will just conspire to put Jinho and Sangmin in the deathmatch of the first round.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I should change my avstar to the player who i think wins this season and then you can all laugh at me when the player gets eliminated.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

alkanphel posted:

I wonder if the rest of them will just conspire to put Jinho and Sangmin in the deathmatch of the first round.

If that's even possible then I think the producers screwed up. The fact good players can challenge whoever else for the death match is the best defense they have against that type of scheming.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I have no idea how this season will be so I thought of a way to rank the players based on who beat who and number of death match wins (thanks wikipedia):

1. jinho (3 dm + 1 final)
2. dongmin (1 dm + 1 final)

3. hyunmin (2 dm)
4. kyungran (1 dm)

5. yeonseung (2 dm)
6. sangmin (0 dm + 1 final)

7. yohwan

8. junghyun (3 dm)
9. jungmoon (1 dm)
9. yoonsun (1 dm)
9. yoohyun (1 dm)
12. junseok (0 dm)
12. kyunghoon (0 dm)

Well, even if there's a huge bias for not considering main match wins and other factors... This actually seems to me like an ok prediction? IDK I'll arbitrarily throw a ±1.5 rank error and call it a day.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Subyng posted:

But how could you not like them honestly

I liked the cast better season 1 I think. I didn't like director guy very much and dongmin isn't as funny as the other dude from last season

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

JakeP posted:

I liked the cast better season 1 I think. I didn't like director guy very much and dongmin isn't as funny as the other dude from last season

Director Jin is awesome, but might not have shown it yet by episode 3.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I have no idea how this season will be so I thought of a way to rank the players based on who beat who and number of death match wins (thanks wikipedia):

1. jinho (3 dm + 1 final)
2. dongmin (1 dm + 1 final)

3. hyunmin (2 dm)
4. kyungran (1 dm)

5. yeonseung (2 dm)
6. sangmin (0 dm + 1 final)

7. yohwan

8. junghyun (3 dm)
9. jungmoon (1 dm)
9. yoonsun (1 dm)
9. yoohyun (1 dm)
12. junseok (0 dm)
12. kyunghoon (0 dm)

Well, even if there's a huge bias for not considering main match wins and other factors... This actually seems to me like an ok prediction? IDK I'll arbitrarily throw a ±1.5 rank error and call it a day.

This seems okay, but obviously underrates Sangmin's skill set.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 25, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There's no way the four favorites aren't Jinho, Dongmin, Sangmin and Hyunmin. Dominant in main matches, legit enough in deathmatches (winning the final means winning two deathmatches, really).

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

I also rate Yoohyun reasonably high, like I think he's better then Yohwan anyway.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zythrst posted:

Director Jin is awesome, but might not have shown it yet by episode 3.

Yeah, it's episode 4/case 3 where he really comes into his own.

Also to be completely fair, the first 2 episodes of season 2 ARE a bit different from the normal stuff, so I could see someone not getting why the show is so good just from that. Episode 1 especially makes it seem like something very different to what it is.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Yeah, the director is easily my favorite character. Jinho is great and all, but his kind of intelligence doesn't really mesh well with "figure out the story the producers are trying to tell in the case", whereas Jang Jin eventually becomes very good at it. He also puts his all into the characters.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Come on, Jinho is the original sexy brained man!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you're up to episode 3 of the latest season then you should definitely give the next one a try cause that's where the show really kicked up to a whole new level

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Tonfa posted:

The atrocious google translate Finnish was the highlight of the episode :allears:

Was this in Crime Scene? I want to see how bad it was, somebody mind posting which episode and time it was.

edit: ahahah, it's almost complete gibberish grammatically. Translating that to english it would (approximately) say: "Are you, Jangmin, right? I am probably they waiting you read this. (gibberish) I don't dare, swear you were my brother? Look place."

Just for comparison here's what it should look like going by the english: "Oletko sinä Jangmin? Odotan että sinä luet tämän. Sinä uskalsitkin kiroilla veljelleni? Odotapas vain.

Zernach fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 25, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Zernach posted:

Was this in Crime Scene? I want to see how bad it was, somebody mind posting which episode and time it was.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2uze2a

At around 23:36.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Wow s3 was great. I couldn't get enough of Dongmin and the little KSAIT dude, they are literally geniuses. I don't understand crime scene though, is it part of the same show?

I'm onto s1e4 atm and Guru is pretty awesome, same with Sangmin. I think they'll go far. edit: this is my favorite ep of the entire show so far

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Crime Scene was another "thinker" show which involved some of the same cast, for that reason we tended to discuss it in here as well.