Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is there a be all end all app for managing your Launchpad? Parallels out a lot of stuff in there I don't want and it bothers me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have a large collection of songs in iTunes which I didn't have tagged with an album because they were just single tracks that I had collected over time. I use iTunes Match to get these tracks onto my iPhone. As of about 1:30PM today all these tracks have been assigned to an album and had all the metadata updated.

What the gently caress is going on, and can I revert this? And then turn the feature off? iTunes Match has never written changes to my library before.

Edit: This https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7093524

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 27, 2015

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
iTunes Match analyzes your files and figures out what songs they are and then pushes you the versions that they have currently on the iTunes store.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If it's matched. And it doesn't (or didn't before this weekend, at least) overwrite your tags.

Sounds annoying (and I notice a lot of my albums are "split" today, too), but personally I wouldn't waste too much time on it until after Tuesday.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's definitely at least adding tags that didn't exist before, not sure if it's overwriting anything at this point. It's also breaking apart compilations quite nicely as well.

iTunes support say it's a thing for AppleCare. I think I'll just wait it out and check in on that Apple forum thread because it's obviously affecting a lot of people.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Michaellaneous posted:

Is there a be all end all app for managing your Launchpad? Parallels out a lot of stuff in there I don't want and it bothers me.

Not to manage launchpad, but there's an option in Parallels not to put guest icons in your apps folders.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

It's definitely at least adding tags that didn't exist before, not sure if it's overwriting anything at this point. It's also breaking apart compilations quite nicely as well.

iTunes support say it's a thing for AppleCare. I think I'll just wait it out and check in on that Apple forum thread because it's obviously affecting a lot of people.

Did your compilations have the "Part of a compilation" tag set on?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, nothing has changed in terms of how I've been using iTunes, and I'm a bit of a sperg with tags etc. so I know how everything was set previously.

That Apple forum post describes the exact issue though so at least it seems to be fairly widespread.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Did you check the iMessage status on Apples website? iMessage has been down a bit over the last few days.

iMessage is showing active, I have tried multiple times in the past two days and my Mac still won't log into iMessage.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Sounds like it should work? https://twitter.com/hbangws/status/608170969174147072

Code injection tends to break every major update for security or other reasons since I dunno, 10.6 or 10.7? They find workarounds when that happens.

Yeah, I'm just guessing that Safari Stand just doesn't work with Safari 8.1 yet.

Oh, and did anyone else notice that El Capitan defaults the desktops to framebuffer format ARGB2101010? That's pretty neat if it's actually sending 10 bits per channel to the built in IPS panel, which at least claims to support it in Dell's configuration.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Oh yeah, I haven't used it in a while but I remember Stand used some explicit max version string before so it'd auto disable itself on new untested stuff. I think it was in one of the plists in the plugin package if you want to screw with it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've wanted to play TERA on my macbook since by all accounts it's got the memory and processing to run it at full settings, but there's no Mac client. I've tried using Parallels to create a virtual windows boot, but when I play TERA through it, the macbook starts to overheat and the game crashes after about a minute.

Is there anything I can do with Parallels or some other possible solution to play a Windows-only game on my macbook?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bootcamp, if you have the disk space to spare. It sounds like you already have a Windows license, and Windows 7/8/10 can run natively in a dual boot configuration.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

carry on then posted:

Bootcamp, if you have the disk space to spare. It sounds like you already have a Windows license, and Windows 7/8/10 can run natively in a dual boot configuration.

They stopped supporting Windows 7 but I forgot how long ago, I think within the last year.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

They stopped supporting Windows 7 but I forgot how long ago, I think within the last year.

Not according to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201456

quote:

With Boot Camp you can use Windows 7 or Windows 8 on your Intel-based Mac.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

turn your fan up regardless.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's based on hardware, not software.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204048

If you have the new Macbook (or the 2015 Air or Pro) you won't be able to install Windows 7.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

That's far cry from "not supported at all" since there's nothing in the post to suggest they have a 2015 model specifically.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

That's far cry from "not supported at all" since there's nothing in the post to suggest they have a 2015 model specifically.

Considering they said "macbook" I'm going to guess the new one. Which is probably a bad machine to try playing games on even with Windows in bootcamp.

But re-reading, they say it should be able to run it at max based on the hardware, so now I'm thinking you're right. We don't know what the hell it is.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I believe that the boot camp limitation is based on the PCIe SSDs that the newer Macs use as they're only really supported by Windows 8. Even on a newer Mac if you've got a platter drive or fusion drive I would imagine you'd be able to get windows 7 to work.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tuyop posted:

If you use Fluid to wrap Inbox, does it function as an open Chrome tab? Does it have the same impact on battery life as using Chrome regularly?

Isn't Fluid Safari-based rather than Chrome?

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Yeah. It uses WebKit.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Duckman2008 posted:

iMessage is showing active, I have tried multiple times in the past two days and my Mac still won't log into iMessage.

I had this problem last week and after trying every possible solution I could find on google I had to flatten and reinstall os x. I could pull important documents and such from time machine but restoring a whole backup broke things again.

Sorry, I hope you find a better way.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

So it's easy on battery life? I'd really like to give Inbox a try but the lack of native os x app sucks.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

flosofl posted:

Considering they said "macbook" I'm going to guess the new one. Which is probably a bad machine to try playing games on even with Windows in bootcamp.

But re-reading, they say it should be able to run it at max based on the hardware, so now I'm thinking you're right. We don't know what the hell it is.
It's not a 2015 model, installed Bootcamp, raised the fan settings, playing this dumb MMO game at nearly max settings and the worst that I have to do is take a break every hour and a half or so for fear that it might overheat again. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, Bootcamp works a dozen times better than Parallel Desktops.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

tuyop posted:

So it's easy on battery life? I'd really like to give Inbox a try but the lack of native os x app sucks.

you're not missing much honestly. but yeah no reason it wouldn't work in fluid since they added support for safari a few months back

Flameingblack posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, Bootcamp works a dozen times better than Parallel Desktops.

well parallels is literally just a nicely integrated virtual machine. i wouldn't expect anything that relied heavily on hardware accelerated graphics to work properly if at all.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 29, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

you're not missing much honestly. but yeah no reason it wouldn't work in fluid since they added support for safari a few months back

well parallels is literally just a nicely integrated virtual machine. i wouldn't expect anything that relied heavily on hardware accelerated graphics to work properly if at all.

Well, I honestly prefer Mailbox for email triage, but I don't like the limited text editing abilities in the beta OS X app or the understandable stability problems. The Inbox webapp looks great and has lots of good options that sort of deal with my concerns, but I don't like keeping a browser window open and losing the notification badges.

Outlook is just not good as far as I can tell.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

tuyop posted:

Well, I honestly prefer Mailbox for email triage, but I don't like the limited text editing abilities in the beta OS X app or the understandable stability problems. The Inbox webapp looks great and has lots of good options that sort of deal with my concerns, but I don't like keeping a browser window open and losing the notification badges.

Outlook is just not good as far as I can tell.

the stability problems in the mailbox app aren't reeeeally understandable since it's been out for years. they probably keep the beta tag around to excuse it being a ropey thing that they're likely never going to fix.

the stock mail app has been absolutely fine for me though i a) don't really view email as a to do list because b) i don't really get a lot of personal email (too cool for web1.0.) it's not fancy but it's fine. then again i don't use gmail partly because of the harrowing imap support so it might not be best for you.

outlook has all the pitfalls of mail.app (i.e. having to deal with goog not giving a poo poo about imap) as well as being just a general piece of poo poo. the office apps have been of varying quality over the years (especially on mac) but outlook always seems to end up being one of the absolute worst

if you want to use gmail the only real way is through the web interface, doubly so for inbox. everything else is perfunctory at best, google being google

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

the stability problems in the mailbox app aren't reeeeally understandable since it's been out for years. they probably keep the beta tag around to excuse it being a ropey thing that they're likely never going to fix.

the stock mail app has been absolutely fine for me though i a) don't really view email as a to do list because b) i don't really get a lot of personal email (too cool for web1.0.) it's not fancy but it's fine. then again i don't use gmail partly because of the harrowing imap support so it might not be best for you.

outlook has all the pitfalls of mail.app (i.e. having to deal with goog not giving a poo poo about imap) as well as being just a general piece of poo poo. the office apps have been of varying quality over the years (especially on mac) but outlook always seems to end up being one of the absolute worst

if you want to use gmail the only real way is through the web interface, doubly so for inbox. everything else is perfunctory at best, google being google

Outlook 2015 is actually the best Exchange email client I've ever used on OS X. It handles my university mail so much better than mail.app ever did. The best Gmail client ever made, though, was Sparrow, and it's a tragedy that it doesn't exist anymore--I've even updated the icons and continue to use it as my default mail client today. I don't get why like 4 years later nobody can make a client that is as good.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I've bounced back and forth between Sparrow and Airmail and both are very serviceable but neither are exactly what I'd like.

I'm still not impressed with Mailbox even though it's got a bunch of elements that I'm a huge fan of. It's just too minimalist for it's own good, also it's fairly clunky design wise.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

maduin posted:

Outlook 2015 is actually the best Exchange email client I've ever used on OS X. It handles my university mail so much better than mail.app ever did. The best Gmail client ever made, though, was Sparrow, and it's a tragedy that it doesn't exist anymore--I've even updated the icons and continue to use it as my default mail client today. I don't get why like 4 years later nobody can make a client that is as good.

yeah obviously if you're using exchange outlook is the way to go. for my personal email i just use fastmail and a custom domain. works nicely as an imap host and the web interface is v. nice compared to gmail's.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
I've been having a vet annoying Bluetooth problem with a set of headphones. It seems like every time I close a chrome or safari window the audio just turns to static, and only power cycling the headphones will return the audio to normal. This is apparently a common problem, but the workaround suggested to modify default values I found on stack overflow doesn't seem to work.
Has anyone else resolved this? I am on the latest but one version of Yosemite. I haven't upgraded yet as it killed my co-workers wifi connection.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the easiest way to convert flac files to MP3 in OS X?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I like xACT.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 29, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Or my personal fave, XLD http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mediahuman is my goto

http://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
10.10.4 just came out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

computer parts posted:

10.10.4 just came out.

I knew about iOS 8.4 for Apple Music but I was JUST coming here to ask what we needed to do to get Apple Music on our Macs. I assume this is that...?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Feenix posted:

I knew about iOS 8.4 for Apple Music but I was JUST coming here to ask what we needed to do to get Apple Music on our Macs. I assume this is that...?

Apple Music would need an iTunes update, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

computer parts posted:

10.10.4 just came out.
Good riddance, discoveryd.