Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Namewise I might have some recollection issues accuracy-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Namewise I might have some recollection issues accuracy-wise.

Just don't call him Edwerd Gast

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its good but I could never shake the feeling the whole story ended up being too narratively safe

EDIT: Also Guinness in Dublin is better because it doesn't have preservatives added to it, and it will always taste awful from a bottle or can because its flavors are unlocked through drafting and even the nitrous thingy doesn't help hth beer noobs

I've had Guinness from a can in Dublin + other parts of Ireland and it tasted great soooooooooooo

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Drunk reading is the proper way to read Hemingway and Poe.

The proper way to read Poe is to not read Poe IMO

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

The proper way to read Poe is to not read Poe IMO

He is a good writer and I enjoy his writing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Poe is a better icon than writer

EDIT: Which is not as insulting as it probably sounds. Poe the writer has become POE in big capital letters and its hard for his writing to match that reputation.

The only writers to stay consistent with their iconic reputation are probably Hemingway and Shakespeare.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 6, 2015

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
people remember that in one an orangutans was the murderer, but in many other poe stories non-orangutans did the crime. for instance in one the narrator did the murder.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tree Goat posted:

people remember that in one an orangutans was the murderer, but in many other poe stories non-orangutans did the crime. for instance in one the narrator did the murder.

Things that killed people in Poe

Cat
Orangutan
Personification of disease
Montresor

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I bet the Poe Orangutan story isn't as good as the Kafka one.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
montresor is covered by a narrator-murderer.

plus there is no textual evidence that he is not a cat or ape.

in marie rogêt the murderer is poe, murdering my precious time on this earth because they don't even catch the dang murderer in the story!!!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I bet the Poe Orangutan story isn't as good as the Kafka one.

The Poe one is funny because its remembered as the literal birth of detective fiction despite having the single most absurd resolution in the history of the genre.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

To be fair its mostly the title

Murders in the Rue Morgue is a much more interesting title than "It was a loving monkey"

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
fantômas:raffles:holmes::id:ego:superego

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like that story where the narrator tricks a dude into getting buried alive because he thinks there's some really good wine in the catacombs.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Poe one is funny because its remembered as the literal birth of detective fiction despite having the single most absurd resolution in the history of the genre.

You must hate Edogawa Ranpo

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I haven't actually read very much Poe because the things I read were bad but I might read his detective stuff. How does it compare to master of the genre and achiever of the sublime, G. K. Chesterton?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm having a sudden realisation that all the stories I thought I had read by Poe are actually Lovecraft stories lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

i like that story where the narrator tricks a dude into getting buried alive because he thinks there's some really good wine in the catacombs.

He also did that prequel to Saw

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I'm having a sudden realisation that all the stories I thought I had read by Poe are actually Lovecraft stories lol

there are no words

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
yes what a blunder. one terrible american horror writer who gets a pass for being "formative" was from the mid 19th century, one was from the early 20th.

CestMoi posted:

I haven't actually read very much Poe because the things I read were bad but I might read his detective stuff. How does it compare to master of the genre and achiever of the sublime, G. K. Chesterton?

the dupin short stories are all really short and there's only three of them

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 6, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Can we all agree academically that the Raven blows

VV holds up imho VV

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 6, 2015

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Okay I've had a think and my only exposure to Poe is watching that Simpson's Treehouse of Horror with The Raven in and that sucked so I am justified in my belief that Poe is bad.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'm probably the only person aside from Jules Venre who enjoys The Narrative Of Arthur Gordon Pym Of Nantucket on its own merit. Greetings.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Effectronica posted:

I'm probably the only person aside from Jules Venre who enjoys The Narrative Of Arthur Gordon Pym Of Nantucket on its own merit. Greetings.

I think its cool and poe is also cool for having owned people with sicck hoaxes

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Gordon Pym must be the product of a monthlong laudanum binge and if you read it stoned out of your mind during your sophomore year of college it is a transformative experience

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tree Goat posted:

yes what a blunder. one terrible american horror writer who gets a pass for being "formative" was from the mid 19th century, one was from the early 20th.

Developing new forms is a more important contribution to literature than technical proficiency or stylistic finesse

Owen Wister > Cormac McCarthy

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

One last literature related rereg name: Jack Gibbis.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Effectronica posted:

Ah, but have you written a novel-length fanfiction piece about it?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'll find you in an outhouse

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'll find you in the jakes

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Developing new forms is a more important contribution to literature than technical proficiency or stylistic finesse

The worst opinion.

edit: V- That one is okay, though.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 8, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also Blade Runner is Harrison Ford's best movie

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
whats the best version of reynard available?

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

blue squares posted:

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell: Only a few pages in after impulse buying this as Half-Price. Good voice. I look forward to delving into this one once I've knocked Names and Light out.

I like David Mitchell but this is his worst novel, imo. In fact, it even kind of retroactively worsened some of his earlier books for me. So if you've never read anything else by him and don't like this one, don't let it color your opinion too much. Read Black Swan Green instead.

Edit:
VVVVV I used to cite Cloud Atlas as my favorite novel ever, but that was several years ago when I read it and it was kind of the "coolest"/most inventive thing I had ever read up to that point. Not sure I'd like it so much anymore now that I've branched out a little bit. I think I've started to mentally file Mitchell in the same place as Neil Gaiman as authors I used to love but now feel that I've "outgrown" once I've figured out their schtick. Ocean At The End Of The Lane, for example, was not a terrible read or anything, but it was so paint-by-numbers Gaiman that I couldn't really enjoy it.

Moacher fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 9, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I really was indifferent to Cloud Atlas

Once you figured out what it was doing it didn't really have anything to say

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I really was indifferent to Cloud Atlas

Once you figured out what it was doing it didn't really have anything to say

Unrelated, but I feel the same about Murakami.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Nanomashoes posted:

Unrelated, but I feel the same about Murakami.

I'm reading Kafka On The Shore by Murakami right now, just partway through. It's my first novel of his. It definitely feels a lot like elements from David Mitchell's Ghostwritten & number9dream combined, which is a comparison I've heard before from other readers (though moreso just about their work in general). There seems to be a lot of needlessly explicit sexual stuff thrown in that I'm not really sure I see the point of, but I'm less than a quarter through it so I guess I'll see where it goes.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

At Swim-Two-Birds ends really well.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Well known, alas, is the case of the poor German who was very fond of three and who made each aspect of his life a thing of triads. He went home one evening and drank three cups of tea with three lumps of sugar in each, cut his jugular with a razor three times and scrawled with a dying hand on a picture of his wife good-bye, goodbye, goodbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I couldn't finish Kafka on the Shore. It was boring and bland. I really wanted to like Murakami, too.