Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

So I'm reading Helsreach again and I'm back to wondering if this would make a good movie adaption. It has a massive fuckoff war, titans, millions of orks and loving Space Marines so of course it would make a great action movie.

I just think Grimaldus may be just way too hardcore for a modern audience. The part where he goes full Nazi on the Orks with his speech would definitely be cut, and I can't help but think any 40k adaption would make Space Marines too human in order to make for a sympathetic protagonist.

Grimaldus and Andrej. Buddy cop movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

pentyne posted:

There's very little middle ground, either the Space Marines are cool and thank the humans for their service, or treat them like expendable garbage and are a second away from tearing their heads off.

well yeah, I mean, they were created to mock the soft fascism of the UK 80s. Their whole thing is the violent authoritarian paternalism of the elites taken to its logical conclusion and justified. They know exactly how many lives are being sacrificed every second they let "the mob" hew and haw and try to decide what to do, every second they don't seize authority and make them obey, which they are forbidden to do, even though it would make perfect sense to just force them to disband their guild and work 200 hours a week in the mines so they have the power to defend the Falklands far flung worlds of the Imperium against the forces of chaos.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fellblade posted:

Space Marines are best when shown from the point of view of or at least interacting with regular humans. See pretty much every Dan Abnett or ADB book. You'd need the same for a movie, something like the Night Lords or Prospero Burns perspective, that way the non-human non-sympathetic aspect is a bonus.

Wrath of Iron has great space marine on human action too

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

well yeah, I mean, they were created to mock the soft fascism of the UK 80s. Their whole thing is the violent authoritarian paternalism of the elites taken to its logical conclusion and justified. They know exactly how many lives are being sacrificed every second they let "the mob" hew and haw and try to decide what to do, every second they don't seize authority and make them obey, which they are forbidden to do, even though it would make perfect sense to just force them to disband their guild and work 200 hours a week in the mines so they have the power to defend the Falklands far flung worlds of the Imperium against the forces of chaos.

My only awareness of Space Marines vs Humans is the THQ WH40k games where the Space Marines are courteous as gently caress to the IG. That and one short story in the Let The Galaxy Burn collection where a Space Marine loses his poo poo when an IG officer offers to have his men stand watch while the SM's relax/sleep.

All I remember is the Dark Crusade Space Marines conquering the IG, and the ending VO mentions how the Blood Angels regretted what they did, but both Imperial forces had to follow their orders and how the Blood Angels Captain commended the heroism of the IG.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The blood ravens are just buttering them up before they steal all their baneblades and company relics.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There's a great short story about the iron hands that has a great contrast between marines and humans, but for the life of me I can't remember anything else about it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the blood ravens were a cool, funny & well executed custom chapter imo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

"none shall find us wanting (because we nicked anything we could want anyway)"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lenoon posted:

There's a great short story about the iron hands that has a great contrast between marines and humans, but for the life of me I can't remember anything else about it.
It's in the old Games Day anthologies. It was a running series for a couple of years at least.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

the blood ravens were a cool, funny & well executed custom chapter imo

They were. Especially the relics' descriptions where they basically made replicas of chapter relics to praise other chapters, the chapters find themselves in disgust and not even realize the relic they now have is the fake.

Still don't like the lack of psyker units in the games despite being a psyker heavy chapter in the games. Then again since most would probably have their heads explode in the presence of that much chaos and corruption it wouldn't be too much of a surprise. That and the Eldar got the psyker powers as their gimmick.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lenoon posted:

Wrath of Iron has a hrck of a lot of it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blood Ravens also get a whole crop of Dragonball Z voice actors to prop them up. If you need someone to scream FOR TEH EMPRAH into a microphone for forty minutes a day, you go to the best.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Blood Ravens also get a whole crop of Dragonball Z voice actors to prop them up. If you need someone to scream FOR TEH EMPRAH into a microphone for forty minutes a day, you go to the best.
My biggest disappointment with Space Marine (which I otherwise loved) was that the voice acting was comparatively understated, and the multiplayer was completely devoid of battlecries, challenges, and all the other signature voice acting from other Relic games. It just sounded like Megatron having a tough time with a chainsaw.

That being said, this is a great video showing some DoW2 voice actors doing their thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etm3Z8E4F18

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Sega just registered the domain for dawn of war 3, so that's hopefully probably a thing that's happening.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Is any of this stuff available on kindle? None of the Abnett seems to be...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

hopterque posted:

Sega just registered the domain for dawn of war 3, so that's hopefully probably a thing that's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_3ZTp4eG4&t=16s

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

how me a frog posted:

Direct from black library yeah, but their eBook pricing is insane

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

how me a frog posted:

You can certainly find it in various e-book formats, yeah.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been watching Sharpe, and more and more I notice just how much of an impact it had on Gaunt's Ghosts. Obadiah and Lijah Cuu are pretty much the same character for a start.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arcsquad12 posted:

Been watching Sharpe, and more and more I notice just how much of an impact it had on Gaunt's Ghosts. Obadiah and Lijah Cuu are pretty much the same character for a start.

Read the books, those TV movies are terrible in comparison

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Emperor commands and we obey through the warp and far away

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008

hopterque posted:

Hopefully it'll be more like the first. The second one was pretty bad, I still don't get, why they chose to change the gameplay that much.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Night Lords is pretty darn good so far.

It's kind of fun watching him struggle to 'humanize' some of the more ludicrous aspects of Chaos, corruption, and backstabby demonlords.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

ElPedro posted:

Hopefully it'll be more like the first. The second one was pretty bad, I still don't get, why they chose to change the gameplay that much.

How does it feel to be wrong all the time?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sandweed posted:

How does it feel to be wrong all the time?

He wouldn't know, that's a completely correct opinion.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fried Chicken posted:

He wouldn't know, that's a completely correct opinion.
Nah, it couldn't be further from right. They're super different games and I love them both, but DoW1 is just a "build a shitload of guys and A-move somewhere" game while DoW2 involves actually using cover, tactics, flanking, unit choices, strategy, and other things you'd want from a "strategy" game. The skirmish AI in DoW2 is loving garbage though. It's a shame because DoW2 is the most fun I've ever had playing games with strangers online, and with nothing but the RPG-esque campaigns left there's not really much chance to play the game at its best.

It also kind of sucks that there's no good fluff or stories about the Blood Ravens outside of the games save their Index Astartes article. I think they're a cool chapter and it sucks that the only books about them are by CS Goto.

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008
It's obviously about personal preference, but I really liked what you describe about DoW 1 - I didn't feel like you could gently caress around in DoW 2 at all, it seemed to be built for competitive play, and I just want to chill out, while I kill stuff.

Oooh the wait for the next Abnett book is long...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mange Mite posted:

Read the books, those TV movies are terrible in comparison

That's a pretty lofty claim considering the only film that can top sharpe for portrayals of napoleonic warfare is waterloo. The series is still good on its budget.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ElPedro posted:

It's obviously about personal preference, but I really liked what you describe about DoW 1 - I didn't feel like you could gently caress around in DoW 2 at all, it seemed to be built for competitive play, and I just want to chill out, while I kill stuff.

Oooh the wait for the next Abnett book is long...

Yeah, that's fair. I play DoW1 when I want to pan the camera around and watch my Marines shoot Orks. I played DoW2 when I wanted a more intense and conscious experience than DoW1 but not as frantic or exhausting as Starcraft.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd say 'impact' would be being a bit too lenient on Abnett; The Ghosts evolved a lot over their novels, but it's often pretty much 'Sharpe in space'.

(E: This isn't knocking the quality of them at all, I think they're fantastic, but let's not pretend what they are!)

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Hunterhr posted:

The Emperor commands and we obey through the warp and far away

Actually a song that exists in 40k.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Both dawn of war games are great (so, 1 including expansions, and 2 including expansions), but they're pretty different. Dawn of War 2 is a loving awesome coop game though, so that's a big plus.

Both of the types of gameplay have their merits and ideally they'd give us some combination of the two of them for the 3rd game, but we'll see.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

They screwed the pooch royally with CoH2, and the way the dlc stuff was handled in Space Marine was wretched.

Dunno, I'm not as optimistic as I might once have been :/

Still hope it's good, DoW1/2/Space Marine were all nerdy love letters to Warhams.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dunno. Cuu is pure sociopath, but Obadiah is actually insane. But yeah, they are very similar. See also Corbec and Harper.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Edit: Double Post.

Instead, talking of video games, any more word on that mobile Eisenhorn game?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SRM posted:

Nah, it couldn't be further from right. They're super different games and I love them both, but DoW1 is just a "build a shitload of guys and A-move somewhere" game while DoW2 involves actually using cover, tactics, flanking, unit choices, strategy, and other things you'd want from a "strategy" game. The skirmish AI in DoW2 is loving garbage though. It's a shame because DoW2 is the most fun I've ever had playing games with strangers online, and with nothing but the RPG-esque campaigns left there's not really much chance to play the game at its best.

It also kind of sucks that there's no good fluff or stories about the Blood Ravens outside of the games save their Index Astartes article. I think they're a cool chapter and it sucks that the only books about them are by CS Goto.

DoW2 beta multiplayer was some of the most fun I've ever had in an RTS, units were really expensive so you'd only have a few at a time, and if you caught squads by surprise with a heavy weapon or well-timed hero ability they'd die in seconds. Then for release they made everything a lot more durable and cheaper and it became more a case of blobbing around. The campaign was really addictive, though.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 8, 2015

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Both the DoW games accurately represent the hobby.

For example, the first one portrays the daily grind with which you earn the money to purchase your plastic space mans fairly well.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's a pretty lofty claim considering the only film that can top sharpe for portrayals of napoleonic warfare is waterloo. The series is still good on its budget.

The claim is that the books are better than the tv show. Their tiny budget forces them to shrink the scope of the series in a way which makes it suffer compared to the book. And then sometimes they just made silly changes to simplify things or for drama or whatever.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

DoW2 beta multiplayer was some of the most fun I've ever had in an RTS, units were really expensive so you'd only have a few at a time, and if you caught squads by surprise with a heavy weapon or well-timed hero ability they'd die in seconds. Then for release they made everything a lot more durable and cheaper and it became more a case of blobbing around. The campaign was really addictive, though.

Yeah I can attest to DoW: Retribution's campain. Yeah it's short and half of them aren't that great or deep. The Tyranids especially so, I have never been so bored listening to the Hive Mind while using only elite tyranid units because the grunts are too fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Retribution campaigns aren't all that great because they're all identical with different voiceovers and heroes. The Ork campaign is fantastic though and if you only play one that should be it. :orks101: