Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think that has more to do with the fact that even baby humans struggle with object permanence. Quakers at their smartest are supposed to be as smart as a 3 year old, and humans fully understand permanence around 24 months if I remember right, but I don't think any of my 3 Quakers have fully understood it. To me it seems like they learn to associate say paper with having a treat inside, rather than seeing me put something inside and then knowing that its still in there. Maybe this Quaker will be smarter because I gave him foraging stuff at a really little age, and much harder stuff than I ever did with my other ones ever, but hes not a year old yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Well yes, that is the most likely answer.

But also, you know.

:derptiel:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I like being a nerd though

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I'm laughing at my bird right now. He eats Harrison, the mini size. I accidentally got small this time and he's been digging in his food bowl and yelling (I think it's yelling, it's way more chirpy than his attention scream but still loudish) at it for a good 10 minutes now. Every once in a while he pops up and looks at me indignantly. It's the same food!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I was in Europe for 3 weeks and just got back today. Scout was REALLY MAD at me for about 2 minutes and then became velcro bird.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mikerock posted:

I was in Europe for 3 weeks and just got back today. Scout was REALLY MAD at me for about 2 minutes and then became velcro bird.

When I'm gone like that, my grey gives me ONE good bite on the hand and then he's cool.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mikerock posted:

I'm on vacation at the beach and I miss Amadeus terribly and feel really bad, because we will get home late night Friday and I'll have to put him to bed instead of giving him cuddles and snuggles and attention. sorry amadoodlebird.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

When she saw me walk in the door she was vibrating with rage/excitement and then did the dinosaur walk on top of her cage until she got to give me a bite and then she was cool.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mikerock posted:

When she saw me walk in the door she was vibrating with rage/excitement and then did the dinosaur walk on top of her cage until she got to give me a bite and then she was cool.

gcc.txt

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 9, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Very relatedly, is it just me or are GCCs and their ilk incredibly clingy? Like I know we make Velcro bird jokes, but are Pyrrhura birds demonstrably more cuddly than other small parrots, or is it just some sort of cognitive bias?

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pearl will not forage. At all. This is a bird who when we put baby locks on the cabinets under the sink became obsessed with getting inside the dishwasher on the other side to find another way in. She knows the word for almond, but will only get onto my hand for an almond about 20% of the time (while "mitt" has an 80% compliance rate). The closest she gets to foraging is intercepting things on the way to my mouth. A lifetime of having her every need catered to has given her a unique sense of entitlement and the perception that she will eventually get her way.

She's absolutely correct, but I'm hoping there's a smidgen of doubt still remaining.

In contrast, Fi the budgie is entirely food motivated, will work hard for any scrap of millet, and is consequently getting onto my hand more and more readily. She is a delight to train. Why aren't there more foraging toys for budgies? Everything in the store seems too heavy and big for her to use.

In other bird news, we found a juvenile crow with an injured wing in our backyard. Called animal control, they came and captured it but said they'd have to euth it. My husband had already gone inside by that point. I caved when the officer said I could take the bird and bring it to a local wildlife rescue, came back upstairs with the bird in a box, and told my husband that instead of eating dinner we were going on a 45 minute drive. Which he did without complaint. :)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

Look, I don't know what you think about my bird but he uh... he... yeah pretty much. Periodically I try foraging toys again but it always ends with a good 48 hours of millet wrapped in paper or something that he saw me put together and then me unwrapping it for him. It's like Christmas.

One brain cell is for "???" and the other brain cell is for "!!!"

Actually a most excellent description of potato birbs there

Does he go for it if the ends are sticking out of the paper? Try an egg box or cardboard tubes attached to the sides of the cage, mine likes those. If yours does too you can put things in the tube and he'll at least chew through it anyway and get a tasty surprise :derptiel:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Very relatedly, is it just me or are GCCs and their ilk incredibly clingy? Like I know we make Velcro bird jokes, but are Pyrrhura birds demonstrably more cuddly than other small parrots, or is it just some sort of cognitive bias?

They really absolutely are. Capt. Conure just vibrates with rage/excitement when I get home in the afternoon and will never leave my shoulder ever. It's kind of adorable, except when she tries to mate with my neck.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco tries to spend as much of his time awake either inside my shirt or trying to climb inside my shirt, so its definitely a conure thing.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori wants to be in the same room/area as you but not necessarily with you and would rather be off exploring and doing his own things, or investigating what you have and why you have it and he doesn't

Inko does his own thing mostly, but he doesn't count. Maybe Blue-throated conures don't count either

E: Someone on my FB shared this, check out the comments https://www.facebook.com/newslinq/posts/874732095951789

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 9, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Actually a most excellent description of potato birbs there

Does he go for it if the ends are sticking out of the paper? Try an egg box or cardboard tubes attached to the sides of the cage, mine likes those. If yours does too you can put things in the tube and he'll at least chew through it anyway and get a tasty surprise :derptiel:
It depends on how much is sticking out. There's some undetermined paper-to-food ratio that if it gets out of whack it's clearly Not Safe and he needs to go to his favorite perch and yell until I fix things.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

Look, I don't know what you think about my bird but he uh... he... yeah pretty much. Periodically I try foraging toys again but it always ends with a good 48 hours of millet wrapped in paper or something that he saw me put together and then me unwrapping it for him. It's like Christmas.

One brain cell is for "???" and the other brain cell is for "!!!"

Haha. I know because Archer is basically the same way. Hiding millet breaks his brain after a couple of minutes but his 4 year quest to put a hole in the Sheetrock continues unabated despite constant setbacks.

Having tiels and a Senegal Parrot is interesting because of the vast gulf in cognitive abilities. Charlie practically scares me with how smart he is and the tiels always manage to do something even dumber than the last dumbest thing ever.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Another bird-training question!

How do I encourage the budgies to learn certain sounds or songs? Just play them in their vicinity a lot?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Cockatiels are definitely kind of dumb, and look even worse when you have a different species about for comparison, but there are moments of lucidity and intelligence where they'll totally surprise you and make you think huh didn't realise he could do that or whatever. Plus a lot of it is being really suspicious of random things and flighty.

painted bird posted:

Another bird-training question!

How do I encourage the budgies to learn certain sounds or songs? Just play them in their vicinity a lot?

They'll pick up the sounds that they like, so associate the sounds you want with good stuff for maximum effect. Like birds will pick up Hello because you say it when greeting them which is good, their name which is AWESOME, laughter because it makes humans have interesting reactions, etc

Playing in the background can work, but then it might also just become background noise and uninteresting to them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion has been learning flight control incredibly fast. It looked very uncontrolled and random when I let her out first a little less than a week ago. Now she has no trouble landing on targets (especially the curtain tracks and my head), making circles, and do controlled short flights/wing-assisted jumps both outside and inside the cage.

On the other hand she just won't stop chewing on everything. For introducing foods it's great, but when various metal objects and cloth keep being targets too, I get worried.

Also, I didn't get a picture of it, but today we ate an apple together :3:

Battle Pigeon posted:

Playing in the background can work, but then it might also just become background noise and uninteresting to them.
Oh, no point in playing hentai flicks all day while I'm at work then. :saddowns:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Cockatiels are definitely kind of dumb, and look even worse when you have a different species about for comparison, but there are moments of lucidity and intelligence where they'll totally surprise you and make you think huh didn't realise he could do that or whatever. Plus a lot of it is being really suspicious of random things and flighty.
Exactly. They're idiots and then they do something REALLY SMART and you go "oh yeah parrots."

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, like Ellie seems to have some abstract understanding of keyboards because whenever I buy a new one or she sees an open laptop she immediately goes for it instead of cowering in fear.

I've always thought tiels are just smart enough to act retarded versus like a house sparrow which probably isn't as smart but doesn't come across as derpy because it's being totally reactive instead of thinking things through and having the completely wrong conclusion

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Daisy seems just as retarded as most teils, right now her favorite thing to do is perch directly under one of her toys with a bell hanging from it, look up, and stick her whole head in the bell, I've been trying to get a picture of this, but she stops every time I get close.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

Daisy seems just as retarded as most teils, right now her favorite thing to do is perch directly under one of her toys with a bell hanging from it, look up, and stick her whole head in the bell, I've been trying to get a picture of this, but she stops every time I get close.
"I'm wearing a hat!" :derptiel:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My wife's tiel did the exact same thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ahahaha. I love when birds have totally different ideas about how to use their toys. Loki has a bowling set, but instead of using the lever to knock the ball into the pins, he chews at the little wire holding the pins up. When we demonstrate the way it was meant to be used, he looks at us like we're the biggest morons on the planet.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

My wife's tiel did the exact same thing.
So did our oldest cockatiel when I was a kid, Screech. He'd just sit there wearing a bell like a hat for minutes at a time, it was so goddamn weird. He looked perfectly content doing it, too, like he just needed a break for bellhattime.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Glockehutzeit should be a word which describes the indescribable sense of satisfaction in witnessing a bird taking its daily dose of bellhat.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There needs to be one for when it's raining outside and they start going through the "bathing parrot" routine without realizing that they aren't, in fact, getting wet.

Ten years on this earth and Judah hasn't yet figured it out.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Tendai posted:

So did our oldest cockatiel when I was a kid, Screech. He'd just sit there wearing a bell like a hat for minutes at a time, it was so goddamn weird. He looked perfectly content doing it, too, like he just needed a break for bellhattime.

Yeah that's exactly what she does. It's hilarious. One day I will get a picture.

Edit: bellhat time! http://imgur.com/Khs2f6O

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 9, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

Yeah that's exactly what she does. It's hilarious. One day I will get a picture.

:allears: I love cockatiels.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I love ordering from Safe Bird Store because it's like getting a present every time I receive something from them. Plus the strange finger-trap toys that they keep sending freak Captain THE gently caress OUT. She can't stand them, it's hilarious. I know that the scared little thing will love them once she gets brave enough to tug at one of the pieces of paper though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So back in late March my fiance went on about a month long vacation to New Zealand. (She got to see Kias, I am so jealous) Anyway, Simon really didn't like her absence. After about a week had gone by, he started carrying food to her backpack, and eventually started regurgitating on the backpack. He would also go to the closet in the bedroom and climb into her shirts. He would also fly to the chair near the door expectantly whenever he heard someone in the hallway of the apartment. The poor guy really missed her and is a huge sweety. Of course, now that she is back he is being very sweet to her, but he is also his mischievous rear end in a top hat self.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

anotherblownsave posted:

Haha Scout does this too, and then she cheeps into it. Then she'll get REALLY MAD at it when it falls off and fight it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

anotherblownsave posted:

That's not bellhat, that's nibbling on the clapper-I'm afraid you're going to have to take and post more photos :colbert:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

That's not bellhat, that's nibbling on the clapper-I'm afraid you're going to have to take and post more photos :colbert:

She's so camera shy, but I will get it done!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

She's so camera shy, but I will get it done!
Well you would be too, if you were making out with your inanimate metal boyfriend and someone tried to take pictures. Kids and their phones these days.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Today I was eating some ????mystery sprouts??? (alfalfa, snow pea, etc) and Captain Bitey McAfee was insistent on seeing what they were. When he realised I was eating them he insisted on eating some too! Now he is sitting in a happy puff with his eyes closed chewing on delicious snow pea sprouts. So all I need to do is eat healthy and he will try it too!

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 10, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
PYF found something relevant to y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Today I was eating some ????mystery sprouts??? (alfalfa, snow pea, etc) and Captain Bitey McAfee was insistent on seeing what they were. When he realised I was eating them he insisted on eating some too! Now he is sitting in a happy puff with his eyes closed chewing on delicious snow pea sprouts. So all I need to do is eat healthy and he will try it too!
Yep, this is how I get my birds to at least try things. Just eat it blatantly in front of them.

Jealousy is a powerful motivating factor with many parrots.

Sharing food is also a powerful bonding method. Your little dinosaur is lucky to have you. :)