Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jon's execution in the book made sense, because he broke his vows. Show Jon got killed because the Night's Watch is full of dicks, not because of any actual crime against their code. gently caress, even show Davos reinforces the notion that the Watch is a shield for mankind, which includes the Free Folk.

What you're supposed to take from the billion scenes of Jon vs [Night's Watch person] is that the vows have morphed from "Shield to protect mankind" to "Shield to protect from Wildings". So in a sense he really did break his vows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Jon's minor bad choice involved a bullshit plot twist that he was shoehorned into by his author Jon has earned his execution by his fellow brothers, they seem to have remembered their vows better than he did.

Besides, the whole thing about Azor Ahai is that he's supposed to be reborn 'amidst salt and smoke', Jon is 100% coming back.

Fixed that for you.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Fixed that for you.

Because Jon Snow is a real person with his own wants and desires.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
The Watch is what would happen to any nobel order of defenders of the realm if they faced no real threat for thousands of years. They have stagnated and are focused on the small potatos they actually face.

John gets shanked because he announces, explicitly, that he is going to use the watch to get involved in politics south of the wall which is strictly against policy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Not only that but the others are coming, in the first book Osha tells Bran that the old gods are whispering that Robb is riding the wrong way, that all armies should ride north to man the wall, for Jon to take the wildling armies raised by Mance beyond the wall to fight for winterfell is about the worst thing a lord commander of the night's watch could do at that point.

But anyway Jon is coming back, and he's probably gonna realize he was an idiot and forgive the watch. Unrelated somewhat but here's another paragraph foreshadowing that Jon is Azor Ahai:

quote:

Frog-faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table wearing a black velvet doublet and a shiny cloth-of-gold cape, nodding with approval every time the king pronounced a sentence. Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some hero would throw him down and cut off his head. But a voice inside her whispered, There are no heroes, and she remembered what Lord Petyr had said to her, here in this very hall. "Life is not a song, sweetling," he'd told her. "You may learn that one day to your sorrow." In life, the monsters win, she told herself, and now it was the Hound's voice she heard, a cold rasp, metal on stone. "Save yourself some pain, girl, and give him what he wants."

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Martin says the new ASOIAF book is scheduled for release in October. You heard it here first.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha all that poo poo.

What year?

What century?

Are you telling me that there are not eleventymillion Wild cards books in-between?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
a water-damaged publication of the winds of winter prologue will be available this october

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If it were to be released this October it would already be edited and be at the printers.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I sense doubt. What have I done not to be trusted? This comes from the primary source, the Not a Book:

quote:

Jul. 10th, 2015 04:51 pm (UTC)
Re: Winds of Winter
The next book is ... Scheduled for release in October.

Woodpile fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 11, 2015

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Amoeba102 posted:

If it were to be released this October it would already be edited and be at the printers.

You can print a book in a month, especially if you book the presses ahead of time and know you will 100% be selling every copy. Look at the new 50 Shades of Grey book, that went from announced to published super quickly because she wrote it in 3 months *shudders*

Of course the only new ASOIAF book we'll be getting this October are water damaged calandars.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Then there's distribution and book stores putting their orders in etc. If it's been fast tracked,I guess I'll find out in a day or two. His publishers had the official release at July 2017 last time they informed anyone about it.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Amoeba102 posted:

Then there's distribution and book stores putting their orders in etc. If it's been fast tracked,I guess I'll find out in a day or two. His publishers had the official release at July 2017 last time they informed anyone about it.

Publishers have a lot of balls in the air. And Jane Johnson (one of Martin's bosses) couldn't find a ball if it landed in her cooze.

Book. ASOIAF. October.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'll wait to hear something in the next few days. If it's October I will hear about it.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

"Re: Winds of Winter
The next book is A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS. Scheduled for release in October."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
A quick search online finds a few sites mentioning an October release for the book but they all go off rumors and speculation at best.

Rhgr posted:

You can print a book in a month, especially if you book the presses ahead of time and know you will 100% be selling every copy. Look at the new 50 Shades of Grey book, that went from announced to published super quickly because she wrote it in 3 months *shudders*

Of course the only new ASOIAF book we'll be getting this October are water damaged calandars.

Brandon Sanderson wrote Alloy of Law while on a long(ish?) flight. Some people are inhuman writing machines while others are GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

this_is_hard posted:

"Re: Winds of Winter
The next book is A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS. Scheduled for release in October."

Dunk and Egg counts as ASOIAF, right?

I coulda done this better.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Whats the story behind water logged books?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Whats the story behind water logged books?

During the long night between feast and dance, george kept posting on his blog trying to sell out of date "water-damaged" asoiaf calendars that he found in his house or something. It was sad and also angering to read about in lieu of news about the way late book.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

During the long night between feast and dance, george kept posting on his blog trying to sell out of date "water-damaged" asoiaf calendars that he found in his house or something. It was sad and also angering to read about in lieu of news about the way late book.

ahahah that kind of contempt for your fans can't be an accident.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was during the wait between Feast and Dance, before the HBO show was stuffing GRRM's bank account and the advances from his publisher had long dried up. So the only way for GRRM to make money was to hawk signed books and year old calendars he found in his damp basement on his blog.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I am sorry they were water-damaged, out of print, "Guardians of Order GAME OF THRONES rpg books". There were different prices for "minor damage" and "major damage".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GRRM's career/life was destined to end like an old washed up pro-wrestler making the low end convention circuit until HBO hosed it all up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.foodworldnews.com/articl...n-snow-live.htm

From the Food World News: book 6 is finished and ready to go.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
hello i am geigre rr martin esteemed author of a song of ice and fire mostly i like to ghost edit wold cards have you read wild cards if not click here 9 i dunno how to do this ty?#0 i will be appearing at argohjaergohj and asrghoasgohjrghjsrgjh convention becaue titties boy howdy wordstar is sure great. anyway somethign about fottball 9 i mean american football0 somethign else and did i mentiojn wild cardss?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
OH poo poo IT IS TRUE!

http://www.ibtimes.com/game-thrones-season-6-spoilers-director-teases-winds-winter-will-be-finished-time-1996679

http://www.dayherald.com/winds-of-winter-bender-has-read-it-martin-to-attend-san-diego-comic-con-is-the-book-finally-complete/4091/

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Words are wind

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
my keyboard ha given up on the left hand ide and capital and everything the for'ard and back in baic fp game be gone. gently caress i look like a retard mebbe i can rite aoif? me gurm me rite hard i do not do convention me catch hbo i ear me finih firt.

gently caress. *Goe and get ne keyboard*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rejutka posted:

my keyboard ha given up on the left hand ide and capital and everything the for'ard and back in baic fp game be gone. gently caress i look like a retard mebbe i can rite aoif? me gurm me rite hard i do not do convention me catch hbo i ear me finih firt.

gently caress. *Goe and get ne keyboard*

this checks out because a lot of grrms writing sounds like he's having a stroke

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when GRRM sits down and writes. Then he will finish a book, not before.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I hope that the new book, The Unholy Consult, will release before the new season of HBO's A GAME OF THRONES.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I hope that the new book, The Unholy Consult, will release before the new season of HBO's A GAME OF THRONES.

I'm really surprised it isn't out yet. I read he finished the first draft in october 2013 - so I was expecting to see it out this past holiday season... Have you read any of the preview chapters? ( http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?board=4.0 )

Others of you might enjoy this post from Bakker about his goals for the series. In it a friend mentions some of the problems of long fantasy series... All of which apply to ASOIAF...

quote:

He started listing all the notorious foibles of the high fantasy long form, how the plot-lines ‘bush,’ how the quality of subsequent installments drops off as the author’s enthusiasm inevitably wanes, and how it was simply impossible, given the sheer creaking weight of all the verbiage that has come before, to provide a climax that was anything but anti-climactic…

https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/the-four-goads-at-the-crossroads/

kcroy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 11, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

kcroy posted:

I'm really surprised it isn't out yet. I read he finished the first draft in october 2013 - so I was expecting to see it out this past holiday season... Have you read any of the preview chapters? ( http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?board=4.0 )

Others of you might enjoy this post from Bakker about his goals for the series. In it a friend mentions some of the problems of long fantasy series... All of which apply to ASOIAF...

https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/the-four-goads-at-the-crossroads/

Yeah, I just finished a reread too, man was there a lot more stuff I picked up this time. Knowing what was going on made the Seswatha dreams at the beginning much more interesting. I'm ready for more. Sounds like the publisher is just sitting on it too:

quote:

And lastly, things keep dragging on with my publishers regarding The Unholy Consult. My delay turning the manuscript in and the quick turnover of editorial staff in the industry means that no one was up to speed on the series–but six months on from submission, and still we have no word. My fear (not my agent’s) is that they might be re-evaluating their commitment to the series–the way all publishers are reviewing their commitments to their midlist authors. I know for a fact that other publishers are interested in snapping the series up, so there’s no need to organize a wake, but who knows what kind of delay would result. Perhaps shooting them emails explaining why they should believe this series will continue growing might help? I dunno.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There's a reason the Bad Thread got so bad and Neil Gaiman stepped in to try and justify GRRM being a shitbird.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So if the book does release in October (it won't) we should start a betting pool for who the ghostwriter(s) was/were.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

So if the book does release in October (it won't) we should start a betting pool for who the ghostwriter(s) was/were.

That would be really funny.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

RA Salvatore

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Kevin J Anderson

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Terry Goodkind or John Norman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Which Terry is the racist pervert, Goodkind or Brooks? I hope they go with him.