Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Here is Oscar (again my son named him) he's a little camera shy apparently, but not afraid of Daisy at all. In fact they've been talking to each other since 6am
http://imgur.com/6AAK3Qn
http://imgur.com/nKLdYtU
Edit: sorry for the crappy cellphone pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mizuti posted:

A gif of everyday cockatiel behavior courtesy of Pepper.

how do those birds survive in the wild if they're scared of their inanimate food

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Dreggon posted:

how do those birds survive in the wild if they're scared of their inanimate food

I was wondering the exact same thing. I know parrots are prone to acquiring all sorts of arbitrary phobias and rules, but cockatiels seem to take the cake.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Serious post: in the wild being skittish is probably very useful for survival even if it means missing out on a tasty leaf now and then. Also they'll have a billion other bird buddies to boost their confidence, who would have learned from other idiots that Thing is actually Food and Okay, so seeing other birds eat Thing and not fly away would get original bird to try it

In that gif bird is being shown a huge (to him) new dark thing quickly coming down from the sky towards his face with no prior context, so clearly the best method of dealing with it is to deploy the angry eyebrows and make random noises at it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My great-grandmother enjoyed talking about The Wars (all of them) when there was lots of rationing, so, in their part of rural NSW, Parrot Pie and Pigeon Pie were not uncommon dinners.

Apparently she even made it a couple of times for her other descendants who had missed out on the experience.

A friend of mine from semi-rural Australia has mentioned that his family occasionally makes stew out of wild cockatoos they shoot, considering them annoying pests.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

オカメインコ is actually referring to the Okame goddess. You might have seen these masks before:

Same rosy cheeks. :derptiel:
It's nice when the truth is as adorable as my imagination :3:

Battle Pigeon posted:

I'm clicking everywhere in this post and can't find the video link????
He remains Very Angry at cell phones for reasons unknown to me (it even has a picture of a cockatiel on the case you rear end in a top hat bird, whistle at it or something) and stopped playing to look surly every time I picked it up :saddowns: All the time I was thinking "GOTTA FILM THIS FOR BIRBTHREAD (and my mom who loves him)" but no, he's a shitlord.

Oh, cockatiels. :allears:

EDIT: I have threatened to eat Judah or feed him to the cat, depending on how irritated I am with either or both of them at any given time. At one point after surgery last summer I also vaguely remember threatening to feed the cat to him when she wouldn't stop stomping my incision. It's a neverending parade of inter-species dining around here.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Battle Pigeon posted:

Serious post: in the wild being skittish is probably very useful for survival even if it means missing out on a tasty leaf now and then. Also they'll have a billion other bird buddies to boost their confidence, who would have learned from other idiots that Thing is actually Food and Okay, so seeing other birds eat Thing and not fly away would get original bird to try it

In that gif bird is being shown a huge (to him) new dark thing quickly coming down from the sky towards his face with no prior context, so clearly the best method of dealing with it is to deploy the angry eyebrows and make random noises at it

I like the way he starts to whistle a little tune when it's sitting on his perch for a minute, then when the lady picks it up again he starts yelling the tune at it for a couple of bars.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

I like the way he starts to whistle a little tune when it's sitting on his perch for a minute, then when the lady picks it up again he starts yelling the tune at it for a couple of bars.
"DO I FLIRT WITH IT OR HATE IT MY TINY BRAIN CANNOT HANDLE THIS????!!!!"

EDIT: Ahaha I just caught towards the end of the video where he's cornered by the spinach and caught between being all :saddowns: and whistling because everyone is paying attention to him

Tendai fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 15, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The cockatiel threat assessment process is roughly

1) waddle/fly away in terror

2) if it isn't actively trying to kill you, try loving it

3) if that isn't working or even possible try to eat it

4) if it's inedible just yell at it until a human takes it away

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm still convinced that cockatiels just think in punctuation.

"!!!!!!"

"????"

and the head-tilting confusion of

"....?!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have read stuff about screaming Quakers and how to make them less loud. So I looked some up on YouTube, and I don't know what these people are talking about. None of those Quakers are loud unless the camera is really quiet. My Quaker grew up in a house with 2 cockatoos and I think that's the explanation for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDK-qVFI2Xc

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 15, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

I'm still convinced that cockatiels just think in punctuation.

"!!!!!!"

"????"

"....?!"

There's at least one exception:

"zzzzz"

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Bird Crazies: if it isn't actively trying to kill you, try loving it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wrecking Ball posted:

Bird Crazies: if it isn't actively trying to kill you, try loving it.
Well there's my new motto

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Moved Inko's bowls about so that he can access them more easily, and gave him another bowl for dunking food that has been pretty well received. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to get yet that not everything floats like bread (the one thing he was able to carry and dip in his first bowl before), so by the end of the day it's full of pellets, peas, and corn

Steve does not acknowledge Inko or the area where his cage is, unless deliberately put there, where he'll sit quite happily while Inko is all WHAT WHAT IS THIS WHAT

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Why is there a dildo in your bird cage?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Cythereal posted:

for the bird??? stupid

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

"....?!"

My favorite cockatiel expression. You can almost hear their joke of a brain working at full speed

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I swear Oscar is the most tame budgie I've ever met. He comes out on his own, he'll sit on your hand or go up to your shoulder. He also loves following Daisy around, she's very unsure about the whole thing, but hasn't tried to kill him or anything. There's just a ton of dialogue

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

wide awake

fast asleep

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am so envious of you people with your handbirbs.

Look at that cozy little guy :3:

EDIT: Judah will not cooperate with filming :mad: Stop trying to kiss my phone with tongue you gross bird I am trying to make movies of you for the internet.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 15, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Cythereal posted:

Got tired of him using his hanging acrylic toy

Dreggon posted:

for the bird??? stupid

Exactly, thank you

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

wide awake

fast asleep

Aww. He must be really warm to hold :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Aww. He must be really warm to hold :3:

He's SO warm. :3: Just a tiny fluffy ball of love

and sometimes rage

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Birb buddies :3:
http://imgur.com/bdS8kch

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

Yeah they're definitely way less scared when there's more than one. Usually with potential Cockatiel Death Devices Ellie and Anaïs will hang back while Archer courageously investigates before warking to the other two that "Hey this broom is totally awesome and OMG THERE ARE PELLETS ON THE FLOOR!" :derptiel:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

wide awake

fast asleep

Tell me the secrets of hand birb :3: I wish to do so with my screaming fluff ball. He's fine with petting, scratches, and cuddling

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Mmm. I'm a little worried so I'm going to schedule a vet appointment as soon as I can, but just a few moments ago I got a weird sour whiff from Pie's mouth. I couldn't manage to catch the smell more than once after that, but I HAD smelled it a month or two back, too. Googling tells me sour smells are crop infections, but I'm wondering if it's just from eating his vegetables...? Though I guess if that's smelling our that's not good either way.

Aside from that and having a tendency to strain to poop a little recently, he's perfectly active, healthy weight, screaming, eating normally, chewing the almighty hell out of all of my shirts, etc. Everything he's been doing since forever. I really hope it's just nothing. I'm not really all that confident on an exact diagnosis from this vet either since there's no avian specific vets around here and I don't think this guy does crop swabs.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

aerialsilks posted:

Mmm. I'm a little worried so I'm going to schedule a vet appointment as soon as I can, but just a few moments ago I got a weird sour whiff from Pie's mouth. I couldn't manage to catch the smell more than once after that, but I HAD smelled it a month or two back, too. Googling tells me sour smells are crop infections, but I'm wondering if it's just from eating his vegetables...? Though I guess if that's smelling our that's not good either way.

Aside from that and having a tendency to strain to poop a little recently, he's perfectly active, healthy weight, screaming, eating normally, chewing the almighty hell out of all of my shirts, etc. Everything he's been doing since forever. I really hope it's just nothing. I'm not really all that confident on an exact diagnosis from this vet either since there's no avian specific vets around here and I don't think this guy does crop swabs.

From what I've experienced just in the last couple of weeks of owning him, if I let Captain Bitey eat more sweet potato or other tasty veg than he should, his breath smells REALLY bad for a while after. I've taken him back to the vet and he's said in that case it's him eating too much and not to let him gorge himself on sweet potato :v: So that could well be the case for you too. If you're worried though, visiting the vet never hurts.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
With chickens at least, sour crop can be treated by withholding food for a day and only offering fresh, clean water and plain yogurt (for the probiotics; sour crop is essentially a yeast infection, so you need to colonize it with something else to keep it from recurring). Obviously chickens are a lot bigger and hardier than parrots, so a vet visit might not be a bad idea.

Just be careful with antibiotics, because they still need to rebuild their gut flora afterwards.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

From what I've experienced just in the last couple of weeks of owning him, if I let Captain Bitey eat more sweet potato or other tasty veg than he should, his breath smells REALLY bad for a while after. I've taken him back to the vet and he's said in that case it's him eating too much and not to let him gorge himself on sweet potato :v: So that could well be the case for you too. If you're worried though, visiting the vet never hurts.

He had a lot of beans, those are his favourite. I hadn't noticed the smell in a long while because he wasn't getting veggies everyday(oops.) so I'm hoping it's just that.

DarkHorse posted:

With chickens at least, sour crop can be treated by withholding food for a day and only offering fresh, clean water and plain yogurt (for the probiotics; sour crop is essentially a yeast infection, so you need to colonize it with something else to keep it from recurring). Obviously chickens are a lot bigger and hardier than parrots, so a vet visit might not be a bad idea.

Just be careful with antibiotics, because they still need to rebuild their gut flora afterwards.

Yeah, I'll have to pick up some bene-bac afterwards :( I really don't want to give him antibiotics if I don't need to(and stress him out), and hope it isn't a yeast thing since antibiotics would make it worse, right? It did with one of my parakeets and that was a terrifying and miserable experience.

I'll huff his stupid mouth again tomorrow and see if he's still having weird smells, and if he is I'll schedule an appointment the next day. If not I might experiment with his veggies again and see if that's definitely the cause.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Trying different vegies with Bitey in the last couple of weeks I've noticed different ones make his breath smellier or not as smelly. Cauliflower and potato have very little smell (but they're also not very exciting nutritionally, though of course he loves eating them). Broccoli, spinach, silverbeet, and other dark green leafy things make a tiny bit more of a smell but still nothing major. They stain his beak green for a bit though. Carrot makes a strong smell but not a "gross" smell. Orange-fleshed sweet potato (sold as "golden" sweet potatoes here) make a strong smell, and white-fleshed sweet potatoes ("red" sweet potatoes) make a really strong "gross" smell. They are Captain Bitey's favourites too, so if I don't stop him he eats as much as he can stuff into his stomachs and then some more, which contributes to the smell.

I imagine if fed garlic or onion (or anything cooked or seasoned with garlic/onion or onion products) he would have really bad breath, though I haven't fed it to him for obvious reasons. Birds I've kept as a babby that were mostly fed on seeds or pellets alone (because I was an irresponsible bird owner as a babby) smelt "like birds" (basically like their seeds or pellets). Fruit and raw veg don't smell very much either.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Yeah they're definitely way less scared when there's more than one. Usually with potential Cockatiel Death Devices Ellie and Anaïs will hang back while Archer courageously investigates before warking to the other two that "Hey this broom is totally awesome and OMG THERE ARE PELLETS ON THE FLOOR!" :derptiel:

Well, that explains why they always want something their human family is eating.

Since pet parrots tend to be kept alone or in small groups, I guess the intended behavioral routine never happens and you're left with situations like a cockatiel raising the alarm when offered a leaf of baby spinach.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Can love birds eat chillis?

If so, feed Bitey a jalapeño and have a spicy bird.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

Can love birds eat chillis?

If so, feed Bitey a jalapeño and have a spicy bird.

My vet said they can have capsicum (preferably no seeds) as much as they want and chilli (no seeds for little birbs, very few seeds for big birbs) in moderate doses.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Oooh, looking it up, it seems most birds are largely "immune" to capsaicin and chilli powder is therefore added to some wild bird mixes, so that mammals (squirrels in the US and Europe and I guess possums in Australia??) don't get into them. That also explains why wild birds always ate all the chillis off my dad's chilli trees when the dogs refused to even go near one that was cut open.

e: My chickens also love hot spicy curry and have been known to slurp down whole chillis with great happiness.

e2: This is great news, I love hot food! I am going to make so many spicy dishes for Captain Bitey and I to share!

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 16, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Birds can't taste capsaicin which makes sense because they tend to spread plant seeds so it would be bad for a plant like that to repel birds.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Birds can't taste capsaicin which makes sense because they tend to spread plant seeds so it would be bad for a plant like that to repel birds.

Yeah, it's a clever evolution. I wonder if it's that way because birds are more likely to swallow them whole, while a mammal might crush the seed by grinding it down with their teeth? It is a mystery! Either way now I know why birds like chillis so much.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Tendai posted:

Look, the Black and Pink Parrot Murderer bug is a very real threat.

I have a string bikini top I tried to wear once when it was blisteringly hot. Leeloo took one look at it and Lost Her poo poo. I have tried it with multiple suit tops multiple times and only the hot pink with metallic purple dots will make her careen about the room shrieking about the end of days.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I saw this posted in the Cute Pictures thread and didn't see it posted here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLsKlqiyuX0

:): What's a chicken say?
:birddrugs: *trumpet noises*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005