Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That's zero for two in deathmatches for Sangmin isn't it ? Weird how he can dominate so much main games and be the worst at deathmatching, even this one where reading the other player is key. Although I think there is a little imp in Kyunghoon's head who flips a coin and makes him act on the result. He is genuinely impossible to read and Sangmin really should have chosen a different opponent.

Junseok was a true hero this game by sinking them both to save Jungmoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

CeeJee posted:

That's zero for two in deathmatches for Sangmin isn't it ? Weird how he can dominate so much main games and be the worst at deathmatching, even this one where reading the other player is key. Although I think there is a little imp in Kyunghoon's head who flips a coin and makes him act on the result. He is genuinely impossible to read and Sangmin really should have chosen a different opponent.

Junseok was a true hero this game by sinking them both to save Jungmoon.

The big question this season will be: 'How can you hope to defeat an opponent made of pure chaos and buffoonery?'

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sangmin hiding under that table, ahahahahaha.

Anyway this is an ALL TIME GREAT EPISODE.

Sangmin makes an initial error, then tries to fight his way out of it... but Kyunghoon sinks Sangmin three times.

First, after Sangmin reveals the hidden panel in the box, Tittygod sells him out because he doesn't want people to be mad at him.

Second, for some reason (??!) Tittygod tells Junseok what they're doing in round four. I thought it was going to be Junseok just read it and played defense, but nope, Tittygod actually told him.

And then the third and final time is of course the death match where Kyunghoon personally, and completely, finishes the job by eliminating Sangmin.

Sangmin was brilliant in this episode and Kyunghoon was an enormous joke but in the end outplayed him in the death match. I knew exactly what Sangmin was thinking when he bet those chips on draw: "For a normal person this could be a bluff, but loving Kyunghoon, man..."

So uh yeah despite being an all-time great episode, the quality is definitely going to drop going forward without Sangmin.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

There are so many good screencap opps in this episode, but this is one of my favorites.
http://i.imgur.com/8WYt0Sx.png

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

CommaToes posted:

I quite liked the episode.

S4E3: As soon as Sangmin went to the death match, I knew he would lose because of that "not spoilery" spoiler.

This!

Lets please avoid mentioning any type of hints or "sly" outcome references about the next episode before it's subbed. Preferably it'd be nice if everyone also didn't discuss the next episode preview, but I'm not sure I'll get much buy in on that.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The way they lead into the intro tune always gets me :3::3::3:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Teek posted:

This!

Lets please avoid mentioning any type of hints or "sly" outcome references about the next episode before it's subbed. Preferably it'd be nice if everyone also didn't discuss the next episode preview, but I'm not sure I'll get much buy in on that.
I vaguely recall someone making a post about being spoiled by wikipedia but that never came to mind while watching the episode.

What I was trying to figure out, with the "Kyungran lied" scene at the end, was if it was possible for Sangmin to catch up. I mean, of course he can bet on draw and tie if it's a draw, but...

If she had paper, but Sangmin told Kyunhoon it was scissors, and Kyunghoon is making the safe "win" bet, he'll be playing rock, which would actually lose, not draw. They should have misled him, if it was paper, into thinking she had rock. That would be move to lead him into an accidental draw. Since they didn't do that, even during that dramatic scene I was pretty skeptical.

That said, he wasn't fooled by her anyway. Haha I like that she told him scissors and he made a note "definitely not scissors"

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Ahhhh this is such an entertaining season.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Goddamn what a crazy episode.

I agree that Junseok played the hero role, at first I thought it was a crazy read and analysis of the game, but Tittygod leaking the info for no reason makes it less impressive. Still, like he said even with Tittygod telling him he could only be 70% sure, and he'd look like he was wrecking things for the team if he was wrong.

These first three episodes have told an amazing story when you look at just Tittygod and Sangmin. You have Sangmin saving TG early, then learning with each passing game how much of a mistake he made as TG keeps not following orders and generally being the ultimate force of chaos. Sangmin gets distracted and misses the easy points in the first round of today's main match, then out of desperation tries to pull the ultimate betrayal by costing the group as a whole 11 garnets while laying the blame on TG. If it goes to plan he can help TG win while avoiding being last place, and no one will think twice about TG giving Sangmin immunity. But again, TG is pure chaos and wrecks that plan literally in its first minute after round 2, and Sangmin tries to buy his way out, which probably still would have worked if not for a second helping of TG sabotage. Then out of pure frustration he decides it's finally time to put his dog down since he figures he can do well without TG's bullshit, and he's probably right, but TG pulls out the best goddamn game of Betting RPS we've ever seen, complete with mind games, realizing that he was being lied to and playing a card that would have resulted in a draw and further rounds if everyone was honest with him like they said.

I've hated Tittygod all along for wrecking games, but with that deathmatch performance I'm at least open to the idea that he's Keyser Sozeing everyone and trying to appear comically inept while really making plays that ultimately use others for his own gain. He lives in round 1 by sulking so pathetically that Sangmin saves him, he blows up the 11 garnet plan and earns enough points that there's no realistic chance he'll be in last place, and reveals that Sangmin told him to do it immediately to deflect the blame. His overacting in the death match about wanting to change his card (which I read correctly right away, but I think I'm just in tune with TG's bullshit wavelength in some way) suggests that he's been putting on more of an act in his other social interactions than we've seen as well. I'm probably giving him WAY too much credit, but even the possibility of TG making a deep run while having the trust of literally no one and betraying the few people who do give him a shot, or who try to use dumb old' TG for their own benefit, is tantalizing.

At this point Tittygod's got to be number one on everybody's kill list, so it'll be interesting to see what he tries to pull off to stay alive. My only guess right now is crazy TG shenanigans to try to win main matches.

Oh, and even Dealer Nuna was visibly sad to see Sangmin go :qq:.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The big question this season will be: 'How can you hope to defeat an opponent made of pure chaos and buffoonery?'

I want to see Hyunmin be the one to take him out in a deathmatch as a force of intelligence and pure logic. It could be a real Batman vs. Joker matchup if it happens super deep into the season when they don't really have other opponents to pick, otherwise the only way it happens is if Hyunmin loses a main match and chooses Tittygod, since no way does TG EVER choose Hyunmin.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 15, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo, this was one of the best episodes of the entire series so far.

Sangmin hiding under the table to acquire information was such a silly trick, but it worked and I love him for that. It's a pity that he lost the main match due to his initial mistake snowballing, because I felt he controlled the game up until the end - got better intel at the start, figured out the trick to the main match and pulled off a huge momentum shift...but of course, TITTYGOD (and a very smart read by Junseok) happened. Honestly, you'd have thought that after three main matches where he deliberately hosed things up for everyone, people would've caught on and treated him like a leper, but there you go.

TITTYGOD eliminating Sangmin convincingly was the upset of the century too. I can't believe he fell for the "oh no I hosed up no~~" trick, but I can't blame Sangmin for underestimating Kyunhoon's cleverness. Sangmin, who was looking like a favorite to win the whole thing, got outplayed, fair and square, by the court jester in a match all about reading your opponent. Holy poo poo.

This shifts the group dynamics a lot too. Dongmin came out of this smelling like roses, reclaiming the best social player throne he occupied for the entirety of season 3 to boot. SCISSORS is not gonna be an insta-pick for the deathmatch anymore either, and will continue to gently caress poo poo up if the preview is any indication. I would expect the HyunDong Express to pick up steam again, while Jinho starts relying on TITTAHGAWD for a clever play.

Underrated clever moments of the episode: Junseok reading the situation perfectly to save :allears: Jungmoon :allears:; Hyunmin being the first to figure out there was something fishy in R2; Kyungran trying to extinguish chaos with the only deathmatch lie.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This was absolutely one of the best episodes of all time. This was like The Dark Knight of Genius episodes. So much beautiful insanity.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Teek posted:

This!

Yeah, any real tension was gone... Might have to start avoiding this thread after sundays unfortunately.

Kyunghoon isn't that stupid (at least, not more than the average player), but he is incredibly loose-lipped... no impulse control at all. I wasn't surprised at all when he just told the truth when asked, because that's how he has been behaving all the time. But he is hamming it up and editing can magnify it even more. I do think that he mentioned Sangmin on purpose, even though it would have been in his best interest to keep quiet.

Junseok is one to watch, fairly perceptive but also acts on it (unlike Yoohyun for example).

Dias posted:

Holy poo poo, this was one of the best episodes of the entire series so far.

This shifts the group dynamics a lot too. Dongmin came out of this smelling like roses, reclaiming the best social player throne he occupied for the entirety of season 3 to boot. SCISSORS is not gonna be an insta-pick for the deathmatch anymore either, and will continue to gently caress poo poo up if the preview is any indication. I would expect the HyunDong Express to pick up steam again, while Jinho starts relying on TITTAHGAWD for a clever play.

Underrated clever moments of the episode: Junseok reading the situation perfectly to save :allears: Jungmoon :allears:; Hyunmin being the first to figure out there was something fishy in R2; Kyungran trying to extinguish chaos with the only deathmatch lie.

Junseok might have caught on to Dongmin dealing with Sangmin. And I think that Hyunmin probably figured out the trick with the box as well, but just didn't tell anyone he didn't trust. That's why he was so quick to respond.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 15, 2015

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Teek posted:

This!

In the future I will avoid talking about the episode previews as well, or at the very least, put it in a separate spoiler block. Let's try to be nice with spoilers and previews so everyone can enjoy each new episode fully.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

That was a fantastic episode and really fun to watch.

Sangmin is a genius and the game would have gone way differently probably had he watched the time and not missed moving his box in the first round. Each of his subsequent plans to save himself were actually really good, too, but completely foiled by Kyunghoon acting like a total dumbass.

Honestly though, Kyunghoon 100% deserved that death match win. He really outplayed Sangmin and I love that he somehow caught onto the last card not being scissors, either. I fully expect him to continue being the worst player in main matches but I can definitely appreciate how he saved himself there.

Also agreed on how people shouldn't vaguepost about wikipedia or any previews/results until after the episode is translated.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Watching Season 2. Started off weak.. glad Capt Dickhead got canned in the first ep because he was too far up his own arse, but he probably would have been fun to watch.

S2E5 - Probably my favourite ep of the either series thus far. About time there was a proper 'Beautiful Defeats and Ugly Victories' moment. Last half of that ep was amazing to watch. Bummed out for Doohee though.
S2E6 - Death match was just loving spectacular TV to watch.

Was really hoping the one of them was going to go full on D'arby with his cards for the bluff instead of them both stressing out.

Also why is everyone loving 'trusting' Sangmin so bloody much this season? Idiots!
Dunno how old mate has gotten so far either. He seems clueless every ep.

Currently watching ep 8 right now.. I can't figure out why they're trying to go for the low numbers and avoiding the high numbers.. Maybe I missed a rule or something, but it doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. A lot of these games this season have been really lackluster in the 'genius' side of things.
EDIT: Durp. Rewatched the rules. Lowest score wins. :v:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 15, 2015

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Many of the solo Sangmin interviews throughout the episode made it seem like he was out, so I wasn't too surprised when Kyunhoon stomped him in the death match. Still, having the three S2 reps go out in order like that is pretty funny. Also, this is the second week a previous champion has been embarrassed in a death match. Dongmin's the only one really living up to his title so far. I suspect Jinho might return to form a bit if he survives to the later, more individual matches, but that seems like a big if.

Anyway, Sangmin's downfall is a lesson about the dangers of hubris. Aside from getting himself in a mess by not paying attention at the end of the first round, he threw Jungmoon under the bus (for the second time this season!) when she wanted to save both of them, because he wanted to save himself and his reputation at the same time. I suspect it would have been a lot easier to smooth things over if he could claim he was trying to save Jungmoon too. Really, he had four different players -- Jungmoon, Kyunhoon, Dongmin, and Kyungran -- try to help him and he still managed to lose. Admittedly, he would have weaseled his way out of it if not for Junseok's baller play, but still... It's kind of telling that after all his talk of kingly cooperation, his one masterful move this game was to hide under a table. Well, he did figure out the box, but then he squandered that by entrusting it to Kyunhoon.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Only halfway through S4E3, and this is the best goddamn show ever.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

There's only one minute to move your box. How the hell did Sangmin manage to get into a conversation and forget about his box in under a minute? Haha

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
One of the many best things in this episode is when Sangmin emerges from under the table and Dongmin and Hyunmin are sort of just entirely stunned in amazement

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm still in the middle of watching this, but Sangmin crawling out from under the table killed me.

Also, if someone proposed revealing the cards as you close the box I'd agree to it in a heartbeat... so I could rig a false top with my real card. I think the boxes are just black inside so it actually wouldn't be that hard.

Edit:
Well, I guess you wouldn't even have to hunt around for a black spacer to do the card changing trick. :v:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 15, 2015

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:roflolmao:

How is it that the intros surpass the entirety of S2 and S3? I'm barely into the episode yet I've lost count of how many times I've laughed at the trash talk.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Most of my thoughts on the episode of been expressed already, but one thing that annoyed me about this episode was how Jungmoon did absolutely nothing to try to save herself. She just accepted going to the deathmatch without even arguing for herself. Dongmin continues to kind of be an rear end in a top hat towards women. Glad Junseok stepped in to save her.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

If they have to use this many virtual players for betting rock paper scissors, how the hell is Quattro going to work when it comes up?

Subyng posted:

Most of my thoughts on the episode of been expressed already, but one thing that annoyed me about this episode was how Jungmoon did absolutely nothing to try to save herself. She just accepted going to the deathmatch without even arguing for herself. Dongmin continues to kind of be an rear end in a top hat towards women. Glad Junseok stepped in to save her.

I think that was actually a pretty shrewd move - by keeping in line with the more achievable alliance goal Jungmoon kept the numbers on her side - if she was pushing for them to save her then that might open the door for Sangmin's offer to Kyungran or something similar. If she and Sangmin are both on the outside of the main alliance goal, he's got more garnets than her to buy a potential opening.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Subyng posted:

Junseok has been the true hero of this season so far for breaking up all the season 3 team win bullshit, how dare all of you doubt him after Ep1 :colbert:

I think Sangmin just thought himself into a corner in that death match. Kyunghoon was, up until the end, making the simpler moves available, but everyone expected him to gently caress up doing even that. I bet he'll get carried to the final four after that, everyone's gonna be too afraid to try and out think him in a death match now.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think junseok is cool now

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

From the deathmatch I assume that Kyunghoon has a twin brother who isn't completely incompetent that snuck onto the set that day. I mean, he played the deathmatch perfectly but he's been so amazingly bad at everything else that I'm wondering how he managed to pull that off.

Sangmin has been running the show this season so it's going to be weird without him. I assume that now we'll get to see Dongmin running over everyone.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Jesus Christ. This death match is almost too much to watch. :smithicide:

Please, Genius gods, let the right player win. I mean I'll know in about twenty minutes or so, but still...

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
He finally betrayed one too many times. Vaya con dios, Sangmin.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Random Stranger posted:

From the deathmatch I assume that Kyunghoon has a twin brother who isn't completely incompetent that snuck onto the set that day. I mean, he played the deathmatch perfectly but he's been so amazingly bad at everything else that I'm wondering how he managed to pull that off.

Deathmatch stuff: After thinking about it more, I think it basically boiled down to over the top ~acting~ and him taking like 5 minutes to think about each turn. People generally rush through deathmatches a lot quicker than they have to, I think that was a big factor in Dongmin almost losing in monorail for instance. Sangmin had a huge lead early on, if he hadn't gotten duped and gone all in to finish it he would have been fine.

Also, regarding Dongmin coming out looking great, I don't think he'll look that good down the line when everyone watches the episode and knows he was selling out the team for extra garnets. It's not a hurdle he can't overcome, but like he said in the episode he hadn't really betrayed anyone, it just so happened that being on his team meant you would end up happening to lose the game and get thrown under the bus, particularly if you were a woman. Sangmin's made crazier moves in this season alone and everyone still loved him though, so hopefully it should only piss off Jungmoon. But yeah, if I had to pick a winner right now it'd be Dongmin.

Random thought stuff: There is going to be an amazing catharsis when Tittygod gets eliminated though, holy poo poo. I want confetti to drop from the ceiling and everyone to start dancing as he sadly walks up the steps to the door.

Eponymous posted:

He finally betrayed one too many times. Vaya con dios, Sangmin.

He's betraying angels now, :rip: Sangmin.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I actually wonder if Dongmin isn't going to actually attempt to just get Kyunghoon out of the game now. He clearly can't be controlled or trusted.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
... :smith:

:smithicide:

:negative:

Really, this season of the Genius is intense. It feels like I went through a wringer after that episode. Godspeed Sangmin, you were too young and outrageously wily for this world. He would have won the main match too in a magnificent display if it wasn't for freaking Kyunghoon... On another note, this episode really made me like Kyungran even more. She really does deserve the name Angelran.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Power of Pecota posted:

If they have to use this many virtual players for betting rock paper scissors, how the hell is Quattro going to work when it comes up?

I think that was actually a pretty shrewd move - by keeping in line with the more achievable alliance goal Jungmoon kept the numbers on her side - if she was pushing for them to save her then that might open the door for Sangmin's offer to Kyungran or something similar. If she and Sangmin are both on the outside of the main alliance goal, he's got more garnets than her to buy a potential opening.

Having numbers on her side wouldn't help her if she's going to the deathmatch where she would probably lose.

Dongmin likes Hyunmin. He knowns Hyunmin will give him immunity if Hyunmin wins. He doesn't want to risk being picked for the deathmatch if Sangmin loses so he makes sure someone on his own side loses. It's a purely selfish strategy, but he's playing it off as if it's a group win and as if throwing Jungmoon under the bus is somehow required sacrifice. Junseok is the only one who realized "wait, this is kind of bullshit". Dongmin being the one to tell everyone their assigned menu items as a "security measure" is also clearly bullshit. Didn't surprise me at all that Dongmin would use that advantage to give Sangmin information. Again, nobody called him out on it.

It would be loving amazing if someone managed to manufacture a joint loss between Dongmin and Hyunmin.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 16, 2015

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Subyng posted:

Having numbers on her side wouldn't help her if she's going to the deathmatch where she would probably lose.

Dongmin likes Hyunmin. He knowns Hyunmin will give him immunity if Hyunmin wins. He doesn't want to risk being picked for the deathmatch if Sangmin loses so he makes sure someone on his own side loses. It's a purely selfish strategy, but he's playing it off as if it's a group win and as if throwing Jungmoon under the bus is somehow required sacrifice. Junseok is the only one who realized "wait, this is kind of bullshit". Dongmin being the one to tell everyone their assigned menu items as a "security measure" is also clearly bullshit. Didn't surprise me at all that Dongmin would use that advantage to give Sangmin information. Again, nobody called him out on it.

I was fully expecting the turnaround they were building up in the 4th round to be everyone else agreeing to rotate their food choices from what Dongmin said

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Preemptively voting for either Junseok or Kyungran to win, might as well go for the alliance disrupter or the Paragon of Justice™. I honestly don't want to see a MinMin alliance sweep through the rest of the season; that's what made S3 really boring to me. I'd also be okay with the supreme Jinho revival narrative hinted at by E2's deathmatch.

Echoing what another poster said, yeah I think the quality of the upcoming episodes (or at least the enthusiasm for sick plays) is going to drop because of Sangmin's absence. He really brought energy to the set with his unpredictableness (seriously, that table move :lol:), even though he did suffer from hubris. Everything could have been solved if he didn't forget to move his box in round 1...

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
This episode was really good.

Personally, I consider one of the Kings getting knocked out like this to be the best thing that could happen for the show. Sangmin's gonna Sangmin but him and Dongmin have been running everything and I'd like to see other players do stuff.

As for Tittydog, the guy qualified for season 3 so he can't be completely retarded. He also played a near perfect deathmatch game, so... who the gently caress knows...

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kyunghoon :lol:

That was a great episode. I take back everything I've said about Kyunghoon, he's my favorite player now. He has an impact on the game every single week in a way that nobody could ever expect. Sinking Sangmin's plan not once, but twice in the same week all with good intentions is too much. I can't wait to see how Kyunghoon throws everyone's plans out the window from here on out, completely on accident. :v:

He played the deathmatch well though. The part where he broke down in front of Sangmin was great, because it was only slightly exaggerated. That was something only he could have pulled off.

This has been a great season so far, and that was one of the all-time best episodes. Next week is already too far away.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is there a poster of Season 4 players like there has been for 1-3?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Is there a poster of Season 4 players like there has been for 1-3?

There's this one

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
That might have been the best episode of The Genius yet. I mean it had pretty much everything you would want, except Jihno's extreme way which I'm hoping will happen soon. I want a counter group of something like Jinho, Junseok, Scary Nunas and Jungmoon to stand up to Dongmin in the upcoming episodes. Especially since I'm certain they are going to try to make Min-Min the order of the day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Sangmin was my favorite player, I knew it wasn't realistic that he'd win this season but at least I hoped he'd got 3rd place again or something... :smith:

Man, if Tittydog isn't pushed straight away to the death match he'll stay in this season for a long time. He beat Sangmin so soundly that no one on their right mind would choose to go against him I guess.

The most amazing part of this episode is how when he was like this:

It wasn't acting... He thought he really messed up, it takes a few seconds more for him to realize that he's playing against a virtual player.

Tittydog is so bad even his great moves are actually mistakes.

edit: gently caress I can't timg his huge face! sorry spoiler readers