Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Soylentbits posted:

I still don't think the Open/ Pass gimmick was designed. It was likely a byproduct of them personally producing the cards with specific Genius backing. It's the same with the weighted monster items. That was just a freak accident that didn't take into account Dongmin superpowers.

You're saying that overly strange awkward shuffle they never did in any of the Indian poker death matches, designed to preserve card orientation, was an accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Tunicate posted:

What's the story behind the tittygod nickname anyway?

He made a post on some webforum about him getting selected to be on the show, some people said he was a liar, so he told them to go suck their mother's titties. This made air on the last episode of season 3.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Suspicious Dish posted:

You're saying that overly strange awkward shuffle they never did in any of the Indian poker death matches, designed to preserve card orientation, was an accident?

Did they do a different shuffle in previous matches? I have literally not watched that episode since it came out. I'll concede if they did.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Soylentbits posted:

Did they do a different shuffle in previous matches? I have literally not watched that episode since it came out. I'll concede if they did.

I'm almost certain they always do that weird shuffle, they certainly never use a riffle.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

About half an hour into this episode I paused it to play Extreme Ways.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Varam posted:

The S2 top 3 were eliminated in order, leaving Jinho, who is obviously repping S1, and Yoonsun, who is a ghost that the other players cannot see or interact with.

If only they replaced her with Ahyoung :allears:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

El Generico posted:

Well, I felt like watching TV, for once. Decided to check TV IV to see if anything catches my interest.

Turns out Korea made Liar Game but for real, and it's the best thing of all time.

This is everything I've always dreamed about a reality show being since I first laid eyes on Big Brother. Honestly, why didn't reality TV go in this direction here? It's better drama, better gameplay, just so much more entertaining. It does such an excellent job of hiding things so they can be revealed later on, yet giving you enough clues to where it feels like there are genuine mysteries that you can catch on to.

Best show. 10/10

Look for seasons one and two of The Mole. It's basically American Genius.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

Look for seasons one and two of The Mole. It's basically American Genius.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's a very smart show and awesome to boot.

Plus that "three bedrooms" challenge is one of my favorite challenges on a show ever.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Soylentbits posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOfMoIgtKtY

Jinho watches the shuffle performed multiple times, and the dealer repeatedly flips the card orientation while handing back the cards making it easier for Jinho to see the trick. I believe this was the first game that involved creating a deck and shuffling cards, there had been other games involving cards but they weren't shuffled, it was more "select the card you want to play" style from a much smaller assortment of cards.

There had been an Indian poker deathmatch before, but as the players weren't making decks and it was pure probability the shuffle technique didn't matter really matter, aside from making it easier or harder to count cards. I remember that using a different shuffle anyway, for what it's worth.

But yeah, almost every main match game has had a hidden trick of some kind, and the color difference is intended to be immediately noticeable with the red and black cards being easy to distinguish. If you go with the orientation trick being an accident, then there was no way to plan out a high score and a victory without spending garnets.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
This episode was so perfect it's the first time I've thought the show has been scripted. The deathmatch especially had Titty God just making perfect read after perfect read, looked like some prowrestling poo poo where Sangmin was just jobbing out to put Kyunghoon over.

That being said Junseok has exhibited incredible strategy and reads this season and I'm so glad he's in this season. Also wondering if anyone will notice Dongmin's extra garnets and figure out that he'd betrayed the team (which would be very impressive deduction since the team won despite betrayal)

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

SnowWolf posted:

why did kyungran say she was indebted to sangmin and so wanted to save him? Something in season 1 that I forgot about?

Kyungran was largely incognito in S1 and survived week after week by allying with Sangmin. Her first "whoa she's actually smart" play was in the 5/5 episode when there were only 3 players left.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Junseok not losing in a game that manages to somehow be worse than just flipping a coin and sending someone home based on the result has allowed him to just show that he is loving amazing at this. It really wasn't clear with just S1E1 why Jinho was glad to see him leave out of fear for the guy, but the past few episodes have shown it pretty well, I think. Dude is baller as gently caress at reading what's going on and figured out how to interfere with it. Granted, he hasn't always succeeded but he is super on the ball the entire time and if someone other than Dongmin, Hyunmin or Jinho win this time, I reckon it'll be him.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu6VbFJ7IYQ

Ah, the memories...

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The other bts got posted as well: http://youtu.be/DWcLdxubFAA

RIP Sangmin

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just got to the part where Dongmin finds Sangmin under the table.

I'm crying from the laughter now.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Nondevor posted:

The other bts got posted as well: http://youtu.be/DWcLdxubFAA

RIP Sangmin

This is maximum Tittydog, jesus gently caress.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ooooohkay, I'm really conflicted now.

On one hand, Kyunghoon ruined things to an annoying degree this time around through sheer incompetence and knocked out one of the most entertaining players.

On the other hand, he played Sangmin like a loving marionette, not only proving that he does in fact have a brain but also that he's drat good at using it when he tries.

I can't decide whether to vehemently hate him or to finally give him some well-earned respect.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Someone mentioned there's a season 4 song playlist somewhere - anyone got a link?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

ViggyNash posted:

I can't decide whether to vehemently hate him or to finally give him some well-earned respect.

You can do both.

There's a 100% chance Sangmin comes back as a guest. It'll be great.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Kyungran was largely incognito in S1 and survived week after week by allying with Sangmin. Her first "whoa she's actually smart" play was in the 5/5 episode when there were only 3 players left.

She's the first contestant to come up with a successful joint win in the zombie episode

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Mob posted:

She's the first contestant to come up with a successful joint win in the zombie episode

She is Nao Kanzaki from Liar game.

Jinho was that seasons Akiyama and Sangim was definitely Yokoa.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mob posted:

I also believe she got second to Jinho in Open/Pass.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
She also won the first scamming horse race because she had the sense to save some chips till the end when it turned out that Eunji had lied about her hint.

Her playstyle is pretty smart all things considered. She's intimidating enough that you don't want to face her in a death match, but plays such a clean game in the main match and doesn't betray anyone that you also won't have a reason to pick her.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Kyungran's thing is that she isn't the best at any of the skills that the Genius tests - but she also isn't bad at any of those things either. A solid B or B+ in everything, plus that intimidation factor. The fact that she doesn't have any real weaknesses makes her a really dangerous player. She's always going to be a useful ally in a Main Match, and a risky Death Match choice. If she goes out before the final five, I'd be shocked.

But it also puts her at risk if she has to go toe-to-toe with some of the other top players, depending on the game. That's why Jinho crushed her in the finals - he's top tier with game theory, in-game strategy, and creative problem solving. It's not that Kyungran is bad at those things, but the games played to the areas Jinho was superior at, and didn't give her a way to attack his weaknesses (metagame and social aspects, mostly).

Kyungran is always going to be better at something than her opponent, but it all depends on if the game allows her to bring that aspect into play. If it forces her to fight her opponent's strengths, there are very few remaining players who she has an advantage over.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 18, 2015

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

But it also puts her at risk if she has to go toe-to-toe with some of the other top players, depending on the game. That's why Jinho crushed her in the finals - he's top tier with game theory, in-game strategy, and creative problem solving. It's not that Kyungran is bad at those things, but the games played to the areas Jinho was superior at, and didn't give her a way to attack his weaknesses (metagame and social aspects, mostly).

Kyungrun didn't really get a fair shake in the finals against Jinho. There was no social metagaming. Hap Gyul was not well designed and Kyungrun seemed far better at it than Jinho. Her item powers made no sense. Also Jinho had done like 4 times the amount of deathmatches than Kyungrun at that point. That's pretty ridiculous as deathmatches should be a bad thing that should be avoided. It shouldn't give people an advantage for always losing main matches.

I think Jinho deserved to win season 1 but I'm still annoyed at how the finals turned out and I still think that the finals are hurt by having no social gaming aspects at all.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It'd be too chaotic to bring in everyone to play the final deathmatches together, I think they've had a pretty good balance on social gaming mattering with former players deciding who to give their bonus item to and being available to come in as a brief assist in some past seasons.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I liked Jinho winning but I agree that Kyungran was better at Hap Gyul and still ended up losing it because her allies stunk at it. That said, there is a social gaming aspect to the finals. That's why Dongmin got like 90% of the advantages against Hyunmin.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Soylentbits posted:

I think Jinho deserved to win season 1 but I'm still annoyed at how the finals turned out and I still think that the finals are hurt by having no social gaming aspects at all.

I find the last episode of each season to be the most boring. I kinda don't care who wins, and an entire episode of just death matches isn't my ideal Genius experience.

Then again, I find the final episode of any season of any reality show super boring in general, so I'm not sure it's indicative of a flaw in The Genius.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I watched the finale of Season 2 last night.

The final match was such an underwhelming shitfest. Where is the 'genius' aspect of the contestant meant to shine in what amounts to a purely luck based selection of a guest who might have cards you need?
Yohwan would have probably won if it wasn't for the last game being so loving stupid.

Standouts of the season for me were
Ep6 - Mainly for Doohee's card getting pinched and being a proper ugly victory. Truly a dick move.
Ep7 - That deathmatch was something else.
Ep12 - Yohwan killing it in the first deathmatch. Shame about the rest.

All up season 2 was a pretty horrid season.
I skipped ep 10 entirely because it looked bland.

Yeah.. Season 2. poo poo.

Is Season 3 better?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yes.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I can understand not liking Kyunghoon, but I'm pretty sure he's not dumb when it seems he's mostly weak to social pressure. Everything I've seen goons call him out on seem to be because of this.

Fast Luck posted:

Sangmin makes an initial error, then tries to fight his way out of it... but Kyunghoon sinks Sangmin three times.

First, after Sangmin reveals the hidden panel in the box, Tittygod sells him out because he doesn't want people to be mad at him.

Second, for some reason (??!) Tittygod tells Junseok what they're doing in round four. I thought it was going to be Junseok just read it and played defense, but nope, Tittygod actually told him.

He tells Junseok their card strategy in the last round because he doesn't want to dodge the question, tactical situation being a non-factor. Kyunghoon revealing the plan to save Sangmin was because he wanted to mitigate him looking like he betrayed them all for his own gain, which obviously would've made him an instant pariah.

captain innocuous posted:

You have to find the trick first, but then it is how you use it that really makes the player a genius. Sangmin didn't let on about the hidden compartment immediately, he waited for the right moment and used someone else to make a great play. He just made an error in who he picked.

And then look at Tittygod who found the magnet trick but immediately let everyone know what is was for no benefit to himself.

He figures out the magnets in the horror game and Kyungran says she wants to know, so he tells them (and then someone says its not as simple as "this one pair of coins will always stick together" and he backs off pursuing the line of thought altogether). Episode 1 all his failings stem from trying to appeal to two alliances and getting surprise rolled by Sangmin

Though I do see Piriwi seems to agree with me

Piriwi posted:

in his defense he's not even particularly untrustworthy compared to the other players, it's just that he's extremely bad at hiding it and he is not smart enough to profit from it like Sangmin for example.

I'll miss Sangmin, though. He is endlessly entertaining in his audacity to gently caress other dudes over for his own purposes.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

booksnake posted:

which obviously would've made him an instant pariah.

Dude, he's already like the biggest pariah in the history of the show.

Which is kind of getting old, next episode I hope they don't focus on him running around getting rejected by everybody for too long.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

booksnake posted:

I can understand not liking Kyunghoon, but I'm pretty sure he's not dumb when it seems he's mostly weak to social pressure. Everything I've seen goons call him out on seem to be because of this.

He tells Junseok their card strategy in the last round because he doesn't want to dodge the question, tactical situation being a non-factor. Kyunghoon revealing the plan to save Sangmin was because he wanted to mitigate him looking like he betrayed them all for his own gain, which obviously would've made him an instant pariah.

He figures out the magnets in the horror game and Kyungran says she wants to know, so he tells them (and then someone says its not as simple as "this one pair of coins will always stick together" and he backs off pursuing the line of thought altogether). Episode 1 all his failings stem from trying to appeal to two alliances and getting surprise rolled by Sangmin

Though I do see Piriwi seems to agree with me

I'll miss Sangmin, though. He is endlessly entertaining in his audacity to gently caress other dudes over for his own purposes.

The show bases genius off game theory and social acumen. If a player is bad at social pressure then, under the standards of this show, it seems reasonable to view them as dumb. Kyunghoon could know five languages or be a Harvard graduate but if he collapses under peer pressure he is a bad player and does not fit under the standard of intelligence set on this show. Though I don't remember him actually having any credentials that bear positively on his intelligence.

Ahyoung was crazy talented by normal standards (fluent in several languages, excellent singer, no apparent accent, Harvard graduate) but it would be hard to view her as intelligent by the standards of the show because she was horrible at games and easy to manipulate and pressure. Under most circumstances though she's clearly more intelligent than most people.

Part of this was post was just to have an excuse to repost this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNPDHVi3gM

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Symbolic Butt posted:

Dude, he's already like the biggest pariah in the history of the show.

Which is kind of getting old, next episode I hope they don't focus on him running around getting rejected by everybody for too long.

Oh, I agree, but from his viewpoint, he has to avoid this at all costs. Adding 'I am literally going to gently caress over every single other person in the game to win a short term advantage' to his rap sheet is something most people can't handle - though if he was better at handling "loyalty" to Sangmin he would've refused to go along with the betrayal strategy in the first place

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here, even if he seems to be the most flawed player in the game and is probably getting eliminated soon

edit:

Soylentbits posted:

The show bases genius off game theory and social acumen. If a player is bad at social pressure then, under the standards of this show, it seems reasonable to view them as dumb. Kyunghoon could know five languages or be a Harvard graduate but if he collapses under peer pressure he is a bad player and does not fit under the standard of intelligence set on this show. Though I don't remember him actually having any credentials that bear positively on his intelligence.

Ahyoung was crazy talented by normal standards (fluent in several languages, excellent singer, no apparent accent, Harvard graduate) but it would be hard to view her as intelligent by the standards of the show because she was horrible at games and easy to manipulate and pressure. Under most circumstances though she's clearly more intelligent than most people.

Yeah I get that, I just saw that except for people being surprised at him executing this deathmatch, posts about this guy are pretty uniformly 'this guy is dumb' without as much "I liked Ahyoung because she's fun" or cool stuff like that video and thought I'd talk about it in detail

booksnake fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 19, 2015

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

You can't offer to betray everyone to save Sangmin, then feel guilty about betraying everyone and immediately out Sangmin. He offered to help Sangmin first. I can't even be impressed by the death match when the game has no real strategy.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Soylentbits posted:

She's definitely not an excellent singer, but she does have a nice voice.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm pretty sure the impressive thing is the lack of the Korean accent. drat! That's very hard to do.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Can't tell if you're being serious.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm pretty sure the impressive thing is the lack of the Korean accent. drat! That's very hard to do.

Singing without an accent means very little, just listen to an interview with Sharleen Spiteri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I always love to hear Koreans speak English without an accent, it's just really enjoyable to my ears to hear rapid-fire Korean followed by flawless English.