Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

When was the last time you were in SF? If it's been longer than a few years, you'll definitely have new stuff to try. I'm sure your SF friends know what's up though :)

It's been a couple of years, yeah. I'd be interested in hearing what you recommend though, as no doubt some/a lot of my time there will be spent catching up and not necessarily nerding about beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, stuff like that totally makes my day. Kernel is one that we hear many great things about, so i bet you people would be stoked for their beer. unfortunately, right now i can't think of anything else that gets discussed and also does not get imported here. i imagine whatever your local is that doesn't make it far outside of town would do the trick.

Definitely Kernel, also Siren! But honestly I'm not too familiar with the latest in UK craft, those two just have a strong reputation in beer nerd circles in the USA.

Anyone been to Dusseldorf? All I know is the obvious point of trying altbier at the source, happy to hear suggestions!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Thornbridge has some decent stuff as well.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Kaiho posted:

I'm going to do a bit of a road trip in the states in a month or so. It'll include Colorado, and the other half is more than happy to accompany me for some great beers.

Which breweries/brewpubs are not to miss? I haven't got an itinerary yet so can plan accordingly. Or alternatively, which bars have awesome beers and good service, not a ratebeer-tickers type atmosphere?

Also, given I am in Europe and work for a brewery, should I bring some bottles? Is that a thing that people do? When I worked in bars, I would massively appreciate people doing something like that but I know we might be more lax about these things...

But nobody is going to turn their nose up at some cantillon or silly BrewDog, right?

Bring bottles to breweries, they will be appreciated and you will instantly make friends. Do not bring bottles to bars unless you already know someone there.

As for Colorado, where are you going to be? All over or just a specific place?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

air- posted:

Definitely Kernel, also Siren! But honestly I'm not too familiar with the latest in UK craft, those two just have a strong reputation in beer nerd circles in the USA.

Siren, that's the other one i was trying to pull.

does anyone make a good coffee stout year-round? i can't really think of one of those, either.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

funkybottoms posted:

does anyone make a good coffee stout year-round? i can't really think of one of those, either.

Founder's Breakfast Stout?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Compusaurus posted:

Founder's Breakfast Stout?

FBS is a seasonal release.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Eejit posted:

Bring bottles to breweries, they will be appreciated and you will instantly make friends. Do not bring bottles to bars unless you already know someone there.

As for Colorado, where are you going to be? All over or just a specific place?

Cheers dude.

Aim is to use Denver as a base, but do various jaunts. National Parks stuff, mostly.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I won't be able to do the three peat sadly... VIP will probably be gone by the time this post sends.

http://wtfinvitational.com/tickets/

Year round coffee stout: Prairie Bomb.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

air- posted:

I won't be able to do the three peat sadly... VIP will probably be gone by the time this post sends.

Yeah, VIP sold out in 30 seconds, and thanks to the everpresent beer website failure, I only got regular tickets.

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

Got VIP tickets for me and a buddy. Super excited to be going again. Would still be going if I only got regular tickets. Every one they have done so far has been amazing.

Horse and Dragon in Fort Collins has an amazing year round coffee stout called Sad Panda. I think Santa Fe's Java Stout is year round as well.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Kaiho posted:

Cheers dude.

Aim is to use Denver as a base, but do various jaunts. National Parks stuff, mostly.

Okay then, tops for Denver are Crooked Stave, Denver Beer Co, Great Divide, River North, and Epic. Other good spots but not must-visits are Black Shirt, Our Mutual Friend, TRVE, Renegade, Strange, Beryl's, and Diebolt. Avoid: Breckenridge, Wynkoop, and big chain places like Rock Bottom, Yard House, Gordon Biersch, etc.

Good places to eat with beer: Hops and Pie, Euclid Hall, Lowdown, Lucky Pie, Freshcraft, and Pint's Pub. Vine Street has super good food and tasty beer. Not mindblowing beer, but absolutely worth a stop for combination of food, atmosphere, and beer.

Bottle shops: Mr B's and Argonaut near downtown Denver. Small Batch liquors if you're near Berkeley (close to Hops and Pie).

Cannonball Creek in Golden is a must visit. You can also do Mountain Toad and Golden City, but they're not mandatory.

Boulder is honestly a bit of a beer desert. Best places are Boulder Beer and Sanitas. Avery is close and super worth a visit. If you're driving to Rocky Mountain NP via Boulder, you should stop at the Oskar Blues location in Lyons.

Ft Collins: Odell, Funkwerks, New Belgium for breweries. Tap and Handle, Choice City for beer bars.

Colorado Springs often gets a bad rap because of all the military and religious conservatives there. However, it is a gorgeous town and has a solid beer scene and worth a visit. Best places to visit: Trinity, Bristol at the Ivywild School, and Manitou Brewing.

You could also make a short drive west along 24 for some good views as well as Paradox Brewing in Divide. And whatever food truck is parked in front of BierWerks in Woodland Park.

If you head into the mountains, there are some decent quality breweries up there, but they're so spread out that I won't bother listing unless you ask about a certain area.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

mrcowcow posted:

Got VIP tickets for me and a buddy. Super excited to be going again. Would still be going if I only got regular tickets. Every one they have done so far has been amazing.

Horse and Dragon in Fort Collins has an amazing year round coffee stout called Sad Panda. I think Santa Fe's Java Stout is year round as well.

I am all in favor of a bottle share again if we can find a location and people are interested. Last year's was super fun. Dunno if there are a lot of people in town this year again, though.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

mrcowcow posted:

Ooh you know, I suppose this is actually the 4th one since there was the CBC WTF.
Had to take a time out this year because of my other plans, but plus side, beer isn't going anywhere :yayclod:

I'm sure VIP will be well worth it. Hopefully de Garde shows up this time and AA blows everyone away (again).

eejit: I have no doubt that Ryan would be up to help out assuming yall get enough people together, go talk to him if you happen to swing by Stem. I'm sure there's others on Talkbeer who'd be down too.

air- fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 20, 2015

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

Schpyder posted:

FBS is a seasonal release.

They put enough of it out during the release period that it may as well be year round.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Kaiho posted:

It's been a couple of years, yeah. I'd be interested in hearing what you recommend though, as no doubt some/a lot of my time there will be spent catching up and not necessarily nerding about beer.

Cellarmaker and The Rare Barrel are both only 2 to 3 years old and are both awesome. Those two also don't get a ton of distribution so visiting the brewery is recommended for those. as far as breweries just to be on the lookout for on draft at random bars: Faction, Fieldwork, Altamont, Berryessa, and maybe Knee Deep.

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

Ft Collins: Odell, Funkwerks, New Belgium for breweries. Tap and Handle, Choice City for beer bars.

I would suggest skipping New Belgium unless you do the tour. The tour is awesome, but the tasting room is always crowded and there usually isn't anything special on. I would suggest going to Horse and Dragon brewing instead. They have only been open for a little over a year but they are making some incredible beers. Tap and Handle can be a bit hit or miss with their beer selection these days. The Mayor of Old Town has a good selection of beers from Northern Colorado but doesn't always have more limited/unique stuff. The Forge is another option for a beer bar but their selection is much smaller and they are kind of hard to find.

I would be down for another GABF bottle share. Last years was a great time.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Team Philly is coming to Denver. Both myself and a worty uhh snagged tickets to WTF and I just booked a hotel from Wednesday through Saturday. Looking forward to meeting up with you fine folks.

Also, if someone needs general admission ticket to WTF let me know because I bought one before more VIPs were freed up.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

funkybottoms posted:

Alesmith Speeway

Did some work with my local group yesterday. It was a good loving day to say the least. Reviews upon request if you want to know about something. I'll see if I can actually remember anything.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

:catstare:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Velvet Speedway release was a goddamn bloodbath. ISO. FT KwH, Veritas 13-15, stuff like that.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I stand by that typo.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

So how come no one's brought up the Pipeworks berliner releases? Tried the Flower Child and Blue Lady (blueberry berliner) last night and both weren't bad! Plus they're similar to de Garde's $8/9 per bomber price point.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

Hopworks Survival Stout. Available year round. Canned. Under 6% ABV. Really good.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

mrcowcow posted:

I would suggest skipping New Belgium unless you do the tour. The tour is awesome, but the tasting room is always crowded and there usually isn't anything special on. I would suggest going to Horse and Dragon brewing instead. They have only been open for a little over a year but they are making some incredible beers. Tap and Handle can be a bit hit or miss with their beer selection these days. The Mayor of Old Town has a good selection of beers from Northern Colorado but doesn't always have more limited/unique stuff. The Forge is another option for a beer bar but their selection is much smaller and they are kind of hard to find.

I would be down for another GABF bottle share. Last years was a great time.

Yeah, I should have stipulated that NB is best with the tour. I personally didn't much care for the Mayor of Old Town when I went, but good to know about Horse and Dragon. Bottle share is looking up.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Team Philly is coming to Denver. Both myself and a worty uhh snagged tickets to WTF and I just booked a hotel from Wednesday through Saturday. Looking forward to meeting up with you fine folks.

Also, if someone needs general admission ticket to WTF let me know because I bought one before more VIPs were freed up.

Nice, welcome to the poo poo show. Lemme know what you guys get up to, I will be up for some adventuring that week.

air- posted:

eejit: I have no doubt that Ryan would be up to help out assuming yall get enough people together, go talk to him if you happen to swing by Stem. I'm sure there's others on Talkbeer who'd be down too.

Was Ryan the big guy from Talkbeer or the brewer at OMF? I solidly remember all the goons and a few others, but as the night went on, between the evening chill and quantity quality of beer I consumed, the various add-ons are a little fuzzy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

So how come no one's brought up the Pipeworks berliner releases? Tried the Flower Child and Blue Lady (blueberry berliner) last night and both weren't bad! Plus they're similar to de Garde's $8/9 per bomber price point.

I remember liking Flower Child a lot back at it's first release in like 2012. But Blue Lady will be infamous for cheese-related reasons. I can't remember if I've had any others.

But honestly, when I can get a sixer of Off Color's Fierce- a way superior beer- for a buck more on the same shelf, I probably won't be snagging any of those anytime soon.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

I remember liking Flower Child a lot back at it's first release in like 2012. But Blue Lady will be infamous for cheese-related reasons. I can't remember if I've had any others.

But honestly, when I can get a sixer of Off Color's Fierce- a way superior beer- for a buck more on the same shelf, I probably won't be snagging any of those anytime soon.

Oh whoa, yeah... the ratebeer page for Blue Lady has all kinds of awful feedback. The pour I had last night didn't have any cheese/funk nastiness! I also did get to try Eille which was pretty amazing.

Eejit posted:

Was Ryan the big guy from Talkbeer or the brewer at OMF? I solidly remember all the goons and a few others, but as the night went on, between the evening chill and quantity quality of beer I consumed, the various add-ons are a little fuzzy.

Horrible description incoming: bearded dude with tattooes (yeah, yeah). He used to work at OMF and he's at Stem Ciders on weekends. Basically he and I ran things behind the scenes, kept water pitchers full, that kinda thing...

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

Siren, that's the other one i was trying to pull.

evolution's rise up stout is pretty solid IMO

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Oh whoa, yeah... the ratebeer page for Blue Lady has all kinds of awful feedback. The pour I had last night didn't have any cheese/funk nastiness! I also did get to try Eille which was pretty amazing.

The first release of BL is infamous. Pipeworks was still pretty young, maybe 6 months of production or so. And while I didn't ever have the really terribly infected release, I do remember that PW was super cool about refunding or giving merch to make up for it. A friend swore that if you held your nose when you drank it, it wasn't awful...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

cryme posted:

evolution's rise up stout is pretty solid IMO

geographically, that's the closest thing that's been mentioned, but still no distro to central VA!

in other news, Hardywood finally made the official announcement of their expansion, which had been a poorly-kept secret in the local beer scene. poo poo is going to be pretty swank

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

The first release of BL is infamous. Pipeworks was still pretty young, maybe 6 months of production or so. And while I didn't ever have the really terribly infected release, I do remember that PW was super cool about refunding or giving merch to make up for it. A friend swore that if you held your nose when you drank it, it wasn't awful...

I've had this year's on tap and in bottle. It tastes pretty good but at the price point it's just not worth it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Why are Cascade sours like $10 more (at least) at Mammoth in Seattle then they are at Pinocchio's in Philly? Does WA have just ridiculous taxes, or what?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Why are Cascade sours like $10 more (at least) at Mammoth in Seattle then they are at Pinocchio's in Philly? Does WA have just ridiculous taxes, or what?

I can vouch for the fact that WA has ridiculous taxes.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

They couldn't legally refund, but they did offer glassware for anyone that claimed to get a bad bottle, which was most of them. At first they didn't admit they had a problem but then a couple weeks later they said they had some kind of unwanted bacterial infection that made all that butyric acid. It was pretty bad. Since they were still brewing on their 1 barrel system, and because it was a hype release, it was pretty hard to come by, and people derided the individual who posted a case worth of bottles they had hunted down. That was the only consolation for how bad that beer was.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Which of you fuckers are stalking me on the Facebook? I know it's people from here. Don't lie to me. -_-

Side note. I have a local buddy who did a trade and sent the agreed upon bottles. Guy he traded with is now upset because he thought the RR consecration & supplication bottles were 22 or 750ml or something. Now he's asking for local buddy to send more. Have you had to deal with this? What did you do to resolve the issue? I chop it up to buyer not knowing his poo poo and tough luck. I've been burned by this and I ate the loss because I was an idiot. Now I make sure I know bottle size on every new trade. Suggestions?

sterster fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 21, 2015

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

sterster posted:

Which of you fuckers are stalking me on the Facebook? I know it's people from here. Don't lie to me. -_-

Side note. I have a local buddy who did a trade and sent the agreed upon bottles. Guy he traded with is now upset because he thought the RR consecration & supplication bottles were 22 or 750ml or something. Now he's asking for local buddy to send more. Have you had to deal with this? What did you do to resolve the issue? I chop it up to buyer not knowing his poo poo and tough luck. I've been burned by this and I ate the loss because I was an idiot. Now I make sure I know bottle size on every new trade. Suggestions?

IMO, tell him to go suck a lemon, you should know what you're trading for. Some of the early batches of both came in 750ml bottles but those are rare and very valuable and anyone who is old enough to the trade game to want older bottles will know to ask about bottle size. Anything made in the past few years has been in 375s.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
RuinTen is really good. Toppling Goliath Pompeii is a fuckin amazing mosaic IPA. Evil Twin "James Beer" is a tasty strawberry berliner. Also regular Sidamo is a very good coffee stout, partially because the coffee taste isn't super strong. It's good to have a coffee beer that tastes mostly like beer.

Living by Lake Superior (like, a block away) gives everything a really fruity nose when consumed outdoors... I finally realized the connection this weekend. Maybe it's not limited to lakes? Try it yourself and see!

crazyfish posted:

IMO, tell him to go suck a lemon, you should know what you're trading for. Some of the early batches of both came in 750ml bottles but those are rare and very valuable and anyone who is old enough to the trade game to want older bottles will know to ask about bottle size. Anything made in the past few years has been in 375s.

Agreed, tell him to go eat a poo poo. I am pretty new to this game and I've known they come in little bottles for years. Besides, he still gets to try the beer, he just has to drink it more slowly to get the full benefits.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

danbanana posted:

Drinking my first Mexican Cake. Most recent release.

Good roastiness. A little vanilla. Lots of pepper. A little cinnamon on the back end.

I dunno. Nice beer that isn't even close to Huna for complexity or flavor or mouthfeel. It is a little thicker than Mayan Mocha but tastes almost identical. A good to very good beer whose reputation is a little overblown.

Last regular Mayan Mocha I had wasn't a gusher like you described, but it was completely sour. How could they betray me like this??? :negative:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

sterster posted:

Side note. I have a local buddy who did a trade and sent the agreed upon bottles. Guy he traded with is now upset because he thought the RR consecration & supplication bottles were 22 or 750ml or something.

nowadays they are either that size or 3L bottles, so it is what it is. was the trade $4$? doesn't matter either way, but it could be the difference between, "sorry, man!" and "get hosed, rear end in a top hat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

funkybottoms posted:

nowadays they are either that size or 3L bottles, so it is what it is. was the trade $4$? doesn't matter either way, but it could be the difference between, "sorry, man!" and "get hosed, rear end in a top hat"

Don't know the complete deets of the trade tbh. Local buddy is I think too nice and wants everyone to be happy. He's done like 60 trades with all great reviews. They completed this trade about a month ago and are still trying to rectify it. That's way to long to have not said gently caress it and sent him something to have made him happy or to not have said sorry end of story and cut his losses. I've showed him your guys reply and I hope he comes around and drops this bull poo poo. Thanks for the replies tho guys. If he makes a call IL be sure to update on his decision.