Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

That sticker placement is making me feel ill what is wrong with you :gonk:

E: I hate sets with stickers with a passion because I get intensely frustrated if they're not perfectly straight AND centred. This is my problem, not anyone elses :saddowns:

I think these sets would be better off without stickers, honestly. I tried seating them a few times and the adhesive started to give up. Screw that, I'm going to zoom my little ice trucks around. Vrrm vrmm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, its an awesome set in general.

The headlight aren't great...

Let me know what you think, I loved the build process a lot.

Will do. I think I'm going to park the mini-mini on the wing of the f40 because racecar

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Scratch that I'm dumb

Hopper fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 20, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a plastic box full of stickers because I don't put them on my sets anymore.. I think the last set I stickered was my VW bug.

Stickers are dumb, stop making them lego. I'll pay the extra $5 a set.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I would have bought the Maersk Triple-E ages ago if it weren't for the Sticker Scourge.

Weren't those pieces screened at one point?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

xzzy posted:

I have a plastic box full of stickers because I don't put them on my sets anymore.. I think the last set I stickered was my VW bug.

Stickers are dumb, stop making them lego. I'll pay the extra $5 a set.

Sell them, they go for dumb prices on eBay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Only Suckers Use Stickers

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
A set I bought a while back bad the stickers so creased in the box that one of them is impossible to keep attached, it just curls away. Is there a way to restick it? If I contact lego with a complaint would they replace the sheet?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I was dreading to have to sticker Ecto 1, but in that set every GB symbol is printed on the bricks. I was pleasantly surprised.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

xzzy posted:

I have a plastic box full of stickers because I don't put them on my sets anymore.

Same, though I do use them for MOCs sometimes. You just gotta accept you're mostly going to be able to use them once only.

F40 looks drat good, may have to get that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

A set I bought a while back bad the stickers so creased in the box that one of them is impossible to keep attached, it just curls away. Is there a way to restick it? If I contact lego with a complaint would they replace the sheet?

Lego will replace stickers and instructions that arrive damaged. Yep.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Ended up getting that Chima mammoth on sale at walmart today. I definitely wouldn't have paid full price but I got it for 40 dollars which is pretty fair. Also got a hotdog man so all in all today was pretty great.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Did a massive overhaul to my Myst Island build.

Project page is still here: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/108571

I also made this trailer to help spread the word:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXfx8EP8aZ0

Thanks everyone who supported it. I'll stop shilling now.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I use an exacto knife to place stickers.I find it is way easier to place them on straight and you get fewer bubbles.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

deoju posted:

I use an exacto knife to place stickers.I find it is way easier to place them on straight and you get fewer bubbles.

I usually use the tip of my pocketknife's small blade, just under one corner of the sticker. It lets you align the sticker much more easily than using fingers. Doesn't work as well on larger stickers, but I usually only apply more 'generic' designs (computers or geometric designs) to common pieces. Piece in a rare color? No sticker. Rare piece? No sticker. A 1x2 white tile with a computer sticker? Sure!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

AllisonByProxy posted:

Did a massive overhaul to my Myst Island build.

Project page is still here: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/108571

I also made this trailer to help spread the word:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXfx8EP8aZ0

Thanks everyone who supported it. I'll stop shilling now.

Good stuff, best of luck!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One recommendation I'd have for the myst island would be to maybe use some flats to change up the textures a bit for the ground on the stone areas or something. Cool build though.

Finally sucked it up and pulled apart about half my Star Wars sets so I could have some stuff to play around with of my own. The nerd in me was a little ill as I realized there is no chance I'm ever taking the time to try and put them back together, but it had to be done. Even after organizing them I can't even imagine how much time it would take to try and put a 500 piece set back together.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 22, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007
When it comes to building Lego, the longer the better if you ask me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The fun is when you can't find the right piece so you say "gently caress it" and improvise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My general rule is that a lego set gets to stay built until I need a part its using. At that point it gets dismantled and added to the stockpile.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Here's a great guide for presenting your Lego Idea to the best: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/35

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I built my ebay value $275 lego set from Comic Con and I have no regrets.

I should note that with the new ticket system for the con exclusive toys I had to wait in line three drat times for a ticket and a fourth time to actually purchase the drat thing.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 24, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm on a budget lately and I haven't bought a Lego set in a while aside from a 20 lb mix from Goodwill (which promptly got washed in the bathtub but lucky for me it had one of these in it) but saw someone with new-in-box Simpsons house on Craigslist for $150 so I had to pick it up.

I love the little "hinged diorama" sets. Someday when I have more cash I want that fancy Death Star... someday.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just applied stickers for the first time since forever. I feel dirty, but I think the logo explosion is needed in this case.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sainsbury's in the UK has some reduced sets, including the Imperial Trooper Transport from Rebels. £9 for 4 Stormtroopers and a cool little set isn't bad at all. Also 3 S13 minifigs for £5 if you haven't completed that wave.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Any goons at Brickfiesta in Austin this weekend?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I built the palace cinema over the past three days and what a set that is. Are all the expert creator sets this detailed and fun to build?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cloks posted:

I built the palace cinema over the past three days and what a set that is. Are all the expert creator sets this detailed and fun to build?

Yes! Get the Pet Shop if you see it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cloks posted:

Yes. I love the Palace Cinema but it's pretty much the worst one in a lot of ways, so if you enjoyed it you'll adore the rest.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hope when the Scooby Doo sets come out people will make use of duplicate minifigures to make proper Scooby Doo chase scenes.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
One of our Walmarts had most of their Creator and Technic sets on clearance. Hadn't built a technic set in quite a while, pretty fun stuff. Even snagged the smaller Metalbeard movie set for $20.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
gently caress's sake, I was in line at the opening for the new Lego store here, waited forever in line to get my cool shop set, got to the front of the line, and realized I'd left my bank card at home. Ugh what a paaaaaain.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cloks posted:

Parisian Restaurant is my favourite so far.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Had a good day at the Lego store. Picked up both the F40 and the Blue Power Jet, and I got the very last moon rover polybag. Talk about luck. Unfortunately they didn't have any 458 Italias (DJfooboo posted one above), only McLarens. If I was a twelve year old boy I would want all of the Speed Champions sets, they're fairly cheap to collect and they look very cool.

If you like greebly builds, the Blue Power Jet is for you. There's a lot of neat and inventive plate arrangement to make the red, white, and blue livery on the wings. It has articulating flaps and elevons, and working speed brakes. Lifting up the speed brakes show the main engine compartment, which isn't very detailed but shows the turbine engine build. Strangely, there is no articulation on the vertical stabilizers. This can be fixed fairly easily, I think, but it should have been there by default. The dual-seat canopy opens up in the same way as the F-35, and there is a clever use of a 1x1 trans green tile for the HUD. The model is minifig scale, so you could have a pilot and bombardier from your collection hanging out inside. The ejection seats are made out of 1x1 cheese slopes, which look quite good. A shame it didn't include any figs, but I'm sure I can find a suitable pilot elsewhere.

It has retractable landing gear, which is a big plus. No need for a stand, just pop down the gear and set her down. Benny's Spaceship could learn a thing or two from this set. Unfortunately the main gear wheels are still exposed a bit in gear-up config, but this could be fixed quite easily with a few extra parts if you care about it.

Also, NO loving STICKERS. The livery is entirely brick/plates.

The builds for the helicopter and Boat look pretty good, but I bought this set expressly to make the jet. I would buy another set to build the speedboat if I could get it cheap enough.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 26, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat this is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPXDwGIv11o

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Had a good day at the Lego store. Picked up both the F40 and the Blue Power Jet, and I got the very last moon rover polybag. Talk about luck. Unfortunately they didn't have any 458 Italias (DJfooboo posted one above), only McLarens. If I was a twelve year old boy I would want all of the Speed Champions sets, they're fairly cheap to collect and they look very cool.

If you like greebly builds, the Blue Power Jet is for you. There's a lot of neat and inventive plate arrangement to make the red, white, and blue livery on the wings. It has articulating flaps and elevons, and working speed brakes. Lifting up the speed brakes show the main engine compartment, which isn't very detailed but shows the turbine engine build. Strangely, there is no articulation on the vertical stabilizers. This can be fixed fairly easily, I think, but it should have been there by default. The dual-seat canopy opens up in the same way as the F-35, and there is a clever use of a 1x1 trans green tile for the HUD. The model is minifig scale, so you could have a pilot and bombardier from your collection hanging out inside. The ejection seats are made out of 1x1 cheese slopes, which look quite good. A shame it didn't include any figs, but I'm sure I can find a suitable pilot elsewhere.

It has retractable landing gear, which is a big plus. No need for a stand, just pop down the gear and set her down. Benny's Spaceship could learn a thing or two from this set. Unfortunately the main gear wheels are still exposed a bit in gear-up config, but this could be fixed quite easily with a few extra parts if you care about it.

Also, NO loving STICKERS. The livery is entirely brick/plates.

The builds for the helicopter and Boat look pretty good, but I bought this set expressly to make the jet. I would buy another set to build the speedboat if I could get it cheap enough.

This makes me feel better about ordering a blue power jet - it was on sale on TRU's site for about 20$ off MSRP - Didn't really want to get it because I just bought the F40 and was hoping to get the VW Camper soon - but I figured I was going to regret not getting the blue jet at sale price later.

Finished building the F40 earlier today - was a lot of fun and I'm really happy with the final model. Only real critique I have is the flip-up-lights look really lame. It might have looked better with some kind of trans piece but then it probably would have been hard to make it flush while flipped down?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

neongrey posted:

gently caress's sake, I was in line at the opening for the new Lego store here, waited forever in line to get my cool shop set, got to the front of the line, and realized I'd left my bank card at home. Ugh what a paaaaaain.

Wallets are good

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I wasn't too fussed about the Ant-Man set, although I liked the idea of making lego bricks out of lego bricks. But then I saw the film and wanted the set and I just have to say the way they did Anthony's wings was so good I'd be shocked if they don't use that technique in the future for more giant bugs. The little ants are great as well, and the helmets.

A nice selection of completely new bits in there, and for once I think using stickers rather than printing was a good choice, even if only so you could use them on other colours of bricks made of bricks. If they sold sticker sheets separately, I'd grab a few extras.

And yes, the Blue Power Jet is brilliant.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 26, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Porsche 918 Spyder looks pretty good even without any stickers. Except for the finish line flag, that really needs the checkerboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

djfooboo posted:

Just applied stickers for the first time since forever. I feel dirty, but I think the logo explosion is needed in this case.

I used to work at Ansys and everyone flipped out about the company name being on a Lego set and then all "Sockser aren't you excited isn't it awesome" and I just uh "I don't put stickers on my Lego :geno:"