Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Apple features the Gmail checker half way down their own extensions page: https://extensions.apple.com/

As for the daily links thing, that's being added to the next version of Safari that's coming out with the next OSX update. I think that's supposed to drop early this fall?

Excellent about the daily links thing. Unfortunately, that checker doesn't work, the website is down and it hasn't been updated in a long time. I had tried looking at options before asking here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
A G-mail checker thing is why I keep Firefox around; that and Rikaichan.

I keep thinking there might be a lightweight mail client that makes sense to switch to, and a Rikaichan like stand alone program that works that would allow me to not have to run Firefox.

Are there suggestions for a lightweight mail checker that mimics the gmail interface but allow a bunch of email addresses? (I have 35 e-mail address that all have to be monitored.)

Is there a lightweight RIkaichan standalone program?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

robodex posted:

I don't even know if my 2012 mini can run this, but I guess for free it doesn't matter.

There's even a 2D or strategy view if you want even less system requirements. It does lose a minute amount of information though like being able to glance at an opponent city and see what wonders have been constructed from the models that have spawned.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

kapalama posted:

I keep thinking there might be a lightweight mail client that makes sense to switch to, and a Rikaichan like stand alone program that works that would allow me to not have to run Firefox.

Are there suggestions for a lightweight mail checker that mimics the gmail interface but allow a bunch of email addresses? (I have 35 e-mail address that all have to be monitored.)

Why don't you use something like Mailplane or Kiwi? Also, I'd kill myself if I was in any way responsible for 35 email addresses.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Thanks all, for some reason I thought Civ V was new but I think I'm thinking of a completely different game. I know I was thinking of getting Cities Skylines at one point but apparently you need a discrete card for that :smith:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can pin some "always on" sites to the Safari tab bar in El Cap. Effectively the same thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

calandryll posted:

Excellent about the daily links thing. Unfortunately, that checker doesn't work, the website is down and it hasn't been updated in a long time. I had tried looking at options before asking here.
I found an extension called SaveTabs that sounds like it should do what you want, one button to save open tabs (just do it once), and another to restore those tabs...but the download is gone :doh:.

There's another one called Sessions which would work but involves another click or three cause the way the UI works in it. Basically you'd save the open tabs once again, but to restore you click the button, then you click the saved session and another click to restore (off the top of my head). Or maybe there's a way to do it with a JavaScript bookmarklet or something.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

calandryll posted:

After tiring of Chrome killing my battery life, I'm giving Safari a shot. Looking for two extensions that I haven't found an analog for. The first one is a Gmail checker, I was/am using Checker Plus in Chrome. I just need something to tell me when I get emails, etc. The second is for opening the same tabs each day, ie along the lines of Morning Coffee on Firefox or Daily Links on Chrome.

I'm guessing that the second one is something automatic? Otherwise, you can just create a folder in the Safari favourites bar and ⌘-click it to open every link in it.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Anyone had an issue where autocorrect will still happen in some apps (e.g. messages) even if it's turned off systemwide? I'm running the Elcap beta right now but I had it happen in 10.8.4 as well. There's no app-specific setting for it in these apps as well (plus messages is an Apple app) so I'm sort of at a loss as to why it's doing it.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Tippis posted:

WiFi issues on MacBooks is a pretty much constant thing, but with different causes and different machines affected every time. Yosemite was a bit special in that it made it almost universal by replacing the old mDNSresponder daemon with a completely new one — the much-maligned discoveryd. With the recent version .4, they finally ditched discoveryd and went back to the old mDNSresponder, which solved most of the new issues for most people.

That still means that you might have any one of the good old WiFi issues, though, but at that point it's the luck of the draw and won't be any different from any of the other OSX releases. Since it's a .11n machine, at least the odds are in favour of it being old enough to have those kinds of issues fixed by now.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Good thing to try if you're having wifi woes on Yosemite: go into network settings and delete EVERYTHING on the Connections menu. Wifi, Thunderbolt, Bluetooth PAN. Get rid of em all. Then re-add wifi. I've used this on two different model MBPs (one retina,one disc drive) and its solved issues for both.

Thanks for helpful information. Everything is set up and no issues have been found so far.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

maduin posted:

Why don't you use something like Mailplane or Kiwi? Also, I'd kill myself if I was in any way responsible for 35 email addresses.

These are exactly what I am looking for, so thanks.

Unfortunately, they both seem to be limited to a smaller number of accounts than I need. I guess I need to just use a regular mail client that mimics Gmail behavior as much as possible, since there are some non G-mail accounts as well.

As fas the number, once I figured out that quarantining accounts made sense, I was able to figure out who was responsible for most of my junk mail. Most government licensing agencies seem to sell their list of professional license holders to some fairly aggressive spammers. Luckily all that government stuff is done on an otherwise dormant account. I need annual renewal mail, and I have to use that account for outgoing mail to the agency, and Gmail seems to be good at recognizing these "marketing agencies" as spam, without calling the official notices spam.

I am a member of several professional organization that require an email address to be used as a login. They are quarantined from anything else but that mail, and I cannot miss any mail, or risk suspension from the organization. If membership lapses due to missed e-mail (which happens), my liability insurance coverage also lapses.

And a ton of people must still have viruses allow their email contacts to be harvested, because I get bombed every time I process a round of registrations that I am required to send e-mail notification to.

Even ignoring the quarantining aspect, I have to use different companies names, thus different gmail accounts, depending on where customers come to me from, to align my presented name with the referring agents. Add to the fact that I receive pictures and send out pdf as attachments, and I actually use a good percentage of the 15 GB gmail storage for that, I have to separate out my email anyway so that I do not have to pay

I wish gmail would allow a range of Gmail accounts to share the 1 TB.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

kapalama posted:

I wish gmail would allow a range of Gmail accounts to share the 1 TB.[/sub]

That is what a Google Apps account provides, buy storage and share/assign to different accounts. App accounts come with per user fees though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I run 3 Gmail accounts and it's a loving nightmare.

Basically

maduin posted:

I'd kill myself if I was in any way responsible for 35 email addresses.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

MrMoo posted:

That is what a Google Apps account provides, buy storage and share/assign to different accounts. App accounts come with per user fees though.

Is there a market for grandfathered free Apps accounts out there?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kapalama posted:

As fas the number, once I figured out that quarantining accounts made sense, I was able to figure out who was responsible for most of my junk mail. Most government licensing agencies seem to sell their list of professional license holders to some fairly aggressive spammers. Luckily all that government stuff is done on an otherwise dormant account. I need annual renewal mail, and I have to use that account for outgoing mail to the agency, and Gmail seems to be good at recognizing these "marketing agencies" as spam, without calling the official notices spam.

I am a member of several professional organization that require an email address to be used as a login. They are quarantined from anything else but that mail, and I cannot miss any mail, or risk suspension from the organization. If membership lapses due to missed e-mail (which happens), my liability insurance coverage also lapses.

I take it you don't know about the "+" trick. Gmail drops anything after the plus for delivery, but it will still stay in the "To" field allowing you to determine which it is based on whatever criteria you use with the "+".

So if you have an email you use for, let's say Amazon, you would put email.name+Amamzon@gmail.com. All emails from Amazon will show up in your inbox as "To:email.name+Amazon@gmail.com". If you get an email from a site that's NOT amazon with the "+Amazon", then you know it's likely they sold your address (or got hacked).

You can something similar to dots ("."). Gmail ignores those. Internal to the email servers email.name = emailname = em.ailname=em.ail.na.me. You can mix and match the periods as you like and they'll show up with the periods in the "To" field. I personally find the "+" method more flexible and easier to use.

kapalama posted:

Even ignoring the quarantining aspect, I have to use different companies names, thus different gmail accounts, depending on where customers come to me from, to align my presented name with the referring agents. Add to the fact that I receive pictures and send out pdf as attachments, and I actually use a good percentage of the 15 GB gmail storage for that, I have to separate out my email anyway so that I do not have to pay

If you're talking Apps where its "@company.name", I don't think the tricks I talked about above will work and you're sorta stuck. But if you are talking about a bunch of "@gmail.com" addresses, then you should consolidate and start using the "+" method.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The nice thing is that these are not particularly active accounts by and large. Since I quarantined them right, the active spam just comes to a couple of accounts, and I can handle them in Chrome which allows logging into 10 Gmail accounts at once in separate tabs (and then another 10 in an incognito window if needed). I am also stuck on an old system anyway, so I can't use Safari, and have to live with Chrome.

MrMoo posted:

I have actually looked a little bit at Google Apps (and discovered that for a big company Google is really, really horrendous at documentation, and really, really good at pretending problems/customer complaints do not exist).

Since I cannot find some answers, and cannot trust others, my main concern has to do with data portability. For personal liability reasons, I have to retain records (those PDFs I have to mail,and some PDFs I have to receive). Paper records are just too unreliable.

Some people have talked about the difficulty of extracting from a domain under Google Apps. I have to retain records tied to my professional ratings independent of the company. If I sold the company, and transferred the administration of the Google Apps domain to the new owners, would separate Gmail addresses still be extractable from the domain, and If they were once under a per user pay scheme would they be revertible back to free status, or another Google Apps domain?

Part of me says since I have a system that works, even if ties me to an 4 year old version of Firefox to track the largely unused accounts, that I should not get into the learning curve to handle the present mail situation. I do need to set up a Google Apps (or something like it) for a new website rollout this fall, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just got set up with a Google Apps account and while it's great, I'd recommend using it on a Browser that only has the one Google account activated on it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
So I've got my Macbook Pro, I've got my wife's iMac, and I've got my Thunderbolt cable. Am I really required to do all this hacky, backwards poo poo in order to view my MBP through the imac?

The problem: I want to use the imac's bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but the bt keyboard and mouse won't run on both computers at the same time. But you need the keyboard working on the imac in order to initiate target display mode in the first place. This guy's got a fix, but holy poo poo there has to be an easier way, right?

Edit: Apple is kind enough to tell you how to connect the two computers - to which I went "yay!" and immediately ordered a thunderbird cable - but they conveniently leave out the part about how if you're using actual new hardware you can't loving do it. The only way to do it is to carry around my damned

Further edit: Jesus Christ, the box even shows a picture of a macbook and an imac pairing. I shouldn't be so mad about this, but come on. You shouldn't have to buy a second keyboard just to make this work.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 24, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jackpot posted:

So I've got my Macbook Pro, I've got my wife's iMac, and I've got my Thunderbolt cable. Am I really required to do all this hacky, backwards poo poo in order to view my MBP through the imac?

The problem: I want to use the imac's bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but the bt keyboard and mouse won't run on both computers at the same time. But you need the keyboard working on the imac in order to initiate target display mode in the first place. This guy's got a fix, but holy poo poo there has to be an easier way, right?

Edit: Apple is kind enough to tell you how to connect the two computers - to which I went "yay!" and immediately ordered a thunderbird cable - but they conveniently leave out the part about how if you're using actual new hardware you can't loving do it. The only way to do it is to carry around my damned

Further edit: Jesus Christ, the box even shows a picture of a macbook and an imac pairing. I shouldn't be so mad about this, but come on. You shouldn't have to buy a second keyboard just to make this work.
Holy poo poo, no.

Just get synergy. It's only $10 for the basic version and it's really easy to set up. I use it to use 1 KM for 3 different computers (2 OS X and 1 Win 8.1). It's a networked KVM, without the V.

http://synergy-project.org

EDIT: Before anyone asks, they recently started charging for the binaries because only a tiny number of people donated to the project and they would have had to shut it down otherwise. You can get the source and roll your own if you can't spare $10. I find it highly useful and worth the price.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 24, 2015

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

robodex posted:

Thanks all, for some reason I thought Civ V was new but I think I'm thinking of a completely different game. I know I was thinking of getting Cities Skylines at one point but apparently you need a discrete card for that :smith:

I can run Skylines on a 2014 15" MacBook Pro with integrated graphics. It's just not supported.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flosofl posted:

I take it you don't know about the "+" trick. Gmail drops anything after the plus for delivery, but it will still stay in the "To" field allowing you to determine which it is based on whatever criteria you use with the "+".

So if you have an email you use for, let's say Amazon, you would put email.name+Amamzon@gmail.com. All emails from Amazon will show up in your inbox as "To:email.name+Amazon@gmail.com". If you get an email from a site that's NOT amazon with the "+Amazon", then you know it's likely they sold your address (or got hacked).
Neat, wish I knew about that trick earlier instead of setting up aliases in my...

quote:

If you're talking Apps where its "@company.name", I don't think the tricks I talked about above will work and you're sorta stuck. But if you are talking about a bunch of "@gmail.com" addresses, then you should consolidate and start using the "+" method.
...Google Apps account :doh:

Never mind, it works :dance:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

japtor posted:

Neat, wish I knew about that trick earlier instead of setting up aliases in my...

...Google Apps account :doh:

Never mind, it works :dance:

That's good to know. It may be just the thing with the "." that does't work with the Apps account. Or maybe it all works with Apps. I don't have one, and I'm just going off stuff I vaguely remember, maybe, sort of reading sometime regarding Google Apps stuff.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's actually not a Google-specific thing, it's part of the email standard that I guess nobody else really used much before. But that only makes it even more annoying when websites refuse to accept an email address with a + in it because it's a 'special character' :downs:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

TACD posted:

It's actually not a Google-specific thing, it's part of the email standard that I guess nobody else really used much before. But that only makes it even more annoying when websites refuse to accept an email address with a + in it because it's a 'special character' :downs:

This is what happens unforunately.

japtor posted:

Aliases? What are those?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

I'm curious: Why aren't you using an actual mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Mail.app, whatever..)?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I'm curious: Why aren't you using an actual mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Mail.app, whatever..)?

The simple initial reason is that I liked/needed the conversation view of Gmail, something was not a feature when I transitioned to all Gmail, and then I found a solution (Gmail Manager for Firefox) that solved my problem of multiple Gmail accounts. Since I no longer use Firefox for anything but the two plugins (Gmail Manager and RIkaichan), I don't have to worry about updating Firefox since I only use it for two extensions, and no browsing. Updates also often broke the extension until I stopped updating both the browser and the extension.

But then what has become standard practice, from the general proliferation of digital only paperwork, has further tightly tied me to the Gmail metaphor (web only, no local storage). I cannot use a client that stores attachments machine side ( as I think Outlook does, and I know Mail.app did) for potential liability/privacy issues, and I now store all my liability paperwork and medical clearances, including scanned paper in attachments in the associated Gmail account.

But if there was a way to use an email client that looks, feels, and acts like Gmail, I'd be all for that. That's why I asked the thread for ideas.Kiwi and Mailplane look good but seem to be limited to a number of gmail accounts/only gmail accounts. Mailplane also requires 10.7 or up, and I am tied to 10.6.8 still.

Another reason for quarantining email accounts asked by someone else: If I had a email account compromised because I used one of the work addresses, physical or e-mail,, or real world info of any kind, with any non work sites (FB, SA, random porn sites, Amazon, Target, iTunes Store) I would be utterly defenseless in a lawsuit. Also why I still have that silly avatar off the left. Cannot pay IRL money, which is tied to IRL me, to remove it. Paypal is not real world money. I use it many places, but I cannot use it here. It sucks, because I know that avatar conditions many people to treat what I say with disregard. But it is also a decent reminder that people do childish things online, and the same sort of people who buy custom avatars like that, might like to do some extended trolling, like doxxing and hacking accounts, that would have serious real world financial consequences for me.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 24, 2015

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If the main concern is attachments, I'm pretty sure Mail.app has a checkbox to prevent attachments from downloading unless you specifically ask it to. And then you can also enable FileVault so nothing can be accessed even if you download attachments and your machine get stolen.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

kapalama posted:

Some people have talked about the difficulty of extracting from a domain under Google Apps. I have to retain records tied to my professional ratings independent of the company. If I sold the company, and transferred the administration of the Google Apps domain to the new owners, would separate Gmail addresses still be extractable from the domain, and If they were once under a per user pay scheme would they be revertible back to free status, or another Google Apps domain?

I believe once you start paying for things a lot of tools become available for importing and exporting content. Google have promoted the ability to export everything from any type of account for a while.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Or at least forwarding.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cingulate posted:

Or at least forwarding.

Well forwarding can be an issue if you need to send replies from a specific address. I funnel everything down to a specific mailbox from various accounts and that's bitten me before.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kapalama posted:

Aliases? What are those?
What it sounds like pretty much, like the main email would be myname@mydomain.com, but you could also set up arbitrarywords@mydomain.com to point to the main email. I forget what the limit is but you can set up a bunch.

I forget how it works for sending from those addresses though (if even possible), and it wouldn't address your concerns like your current quarantine system, at least if you need a hard quarantine like you're doing now. You would be able to filter/separate things out based on the email address trail but technically they'd all be in the same account. I guess you could do stuff with them and/or forwarding, but I figure you end up in the same mess you're in now anyway in having to manage all the email accounts.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

kapalama posted:

yeah at this point you'd really be better off using a native email client - makes managing multiple inboxes way easier and the gmail web interface really starts getting annoying when dealing with multiple accounts. part of one of my previous jobs was managing 3 busy gmail/gapps inboxes and even with pinned tabs in chrome etc it was just irritating. then again irritation is the nature of email i suppose.

the mac just seems to be inundated with good email clients which is nice coming from windows where there's pretty much none, but then again gmail through IMAP has always been a distinctly ropey experience

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 24, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Which is why I hated when my company switched to some wacky middleman authentication which broke all IMAP clients and requires us to use Gmail, which I hate.

Don't get me started on what they did to phones.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

flosofl posted:

Well forwarding can be an issue if you need to send replies from a specific address. I funnel everything down to a specific mailbox from various accounts and that's bitten me before.

I have a couple of people who have written to me in Japanese, and using IIRC yahoo.co.jp's interface to send and receive mail from their gmail account causes Gmail to label the mail as suspicious and/or it gets put in the spam folder. And yes yahoo is still very much a big deal in Japan, and they have so great tools for handling various email accounts, and some great tools for doing the same on the iPhone, which is why people use it as their email client.

There is a tendency to land foreign language mail in the spam folder anyway. Though it is much, much better now than it used to be when basically all Japanese email was called spam by Mail.App and Gmail. You could teach it not to call it spam, but at one time, on an English system or through an English webmail interface, if the mail could even be read for encoding problems, Japanese email would be put in the spam folder, which would then encourage Japanese people to send completely romaji emails, which would always be marked by filters as spam because it ends up looking like baynesian gaming spam.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Is anyone having issues with Safari in El Capitan and full screen youtube videos that are embedded? Playback is very choppy. Same video being played on youtube.com is fine in full screen though.

Here's an example:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/11336/castles-burgundy/dice-tower-reviews-die-burgen-von-burgund

Also, in YouTube full screen videos, if I move my mouse on the YouTube icon that is in the lower-right corner of the screen, it will switch desktop and show me the Safari window with the "Click to Exit Full Screen" text. Very annoying.

MBP Retina mid-2014 with El Capitan 10.11 Beta (15A225f)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Secx posted:

Is anyone having issues with Safari in El Capitan and full screen youtube videos that are embedded? Playback is very choppy. Same video being played on youtube.com is fine in full screen though.

Here's an example:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/11336/castles-burgundy/dice-tower-reviews-die-burgen-von-burgund

This plays fine for me, but I don't have a retina screen.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Secx posted:

Here's an example:

Also, in YouTube full screen videos, if I move my mouse on the YouTube icon that is in the lower-right corner of the screen, it will switch desktop and show me the Safari window with the "Click to Exit Full Screen" text. Very annoying.

MBP Retina mid-2014 with El Capitan 10.11 Beta (15A225f)

Never had that issue on what is probably almost exactly your configuration, provided it's a 13-inch.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

So in trying to delete my old Time Machine backups so i can use the drive to backup some media, I foolishly moved two machines to the trash. Is there a way to fix this?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
GIven I'm not doing anything serious with my Yosemite system at the moment.. Is the latest 10.11 beta that dropped this week stable enough for daily use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Which is why I hated when my company switched to some wacky middleman authentication which broke all IMAP clients and requires us to use Gmail, which I hate.

They can still enable IMAP for that, or at least app-based authentication (like Mailbox and a couple other clients use). They're just being jerks.