Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Kitiara posted:

This sounds like an awesome idea. You can totally count me in.

The only idea I have is to grab clips of big moments from various Genius seasons (possibly including other stuff she's subbed like Crime Scene, Abnormal Summit, a quick bit about Jinho's trip with Lady Jane. etc), stitch them together, put a song over it, and put a big thank you message to Bumbi at the beginning and maybe the end, and sign it from English speakers everywhere or something along those lines, then tweet Bumbi a link to it on youtube or another video site along with a thank you message in the tweet. If you wanted to make it kind of jokey you could make it basically nothing but Jinho-focused stuff, but I'd go with more of an overall homage to Bumbi's subs.

I know very, VERY little about how to do any of that, but I'm sure somebody does, so something to consider once this season's wrapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Clocks posted:

Yeah, it's surprising how crazy good these subs are, too. My boyfriend wanted me to watch some bollywood movie and literally every sub we found (and there were like, 4 different ones) were just... completely crap quality. My appreciation for bumdi went up like tenfold after that.

If you can, see if you can find subs by Charmeleon for any Bollywood stuff - there aren't any of the little added touches that make Bumdidlyumptious the best (like explaining the Eunkyul catchphrase or that the characters for Titty God could be rearranged into "scissors" from the last episode) for things that don't quite translate, but he always does excellent work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If I had an address I could send actual, physical gem garnets :p

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Episode 4's up.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I really hope the season 2 curse is broken this ep. Actually, all of the contestants are so great I don't want to see any of them go.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Season 4, Episode 4: Holy poo poo at the main match winner. Did not see the ending to the main page coming. I thought there might have been some hinky stuff going on since they didn't reveal a few things, didn't expect that.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Another amazing game of The Genius. That main match twist was pretty great, Yeonseung and Junseok are such natural allies and it ended up working so well. Also was cool to have a 100% skills death match, and a competitive on too, though a special equation usage would have been neat, maybe if Hweejong was around.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Meh, the main match was awful. with an obvious strategy that three different teams picked up (gee, there are 12 auctions and each player is given six tickets, I wonder what a good team number would be). And again, they didn't get any extra garnets (not that is was actually possible to get more than a couple) and "betrayals" are not the same when everybody knows you cannot trust any group. They tried to save that mess with the editing but when all the auctions in the last 3 rounds of the game are for $1 things cannot really be interesting. They really need to go back to forced team or individual games. The elimination match was also lovely, 10-6? there wasn't even a cut to commercials for the final reveal

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 24, 2015

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.
I'm still on the beginning of the episode and it is already amazing. How can you not love that opening fake-out when they play the intro music and Kyunghoon enters to....nothing as literally the ENTIRE CAST has decided to hide from him. And then the fact that he dyed his hair and wore sunglasses so he could PRETEND TO BE SANGMIN? Dude is a wacky, backstabbing idiot but his sheer weird desperation is starting to manifest in entertaining ways since he's decided to give up any semblance of acting like a normal person.

Still miss Sangmin quite a bit. Only Sangmin has the type of genius that allows someone to hide underneath a table in pretty much plain sight, eavesdrop on other teams and ALMOST GET AWAY WITH IT.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

NowonSA posted:

The only idea I have is to grab clips of big moments from various Genius seasons (possibly including other stuff she's subbed like Crime Scene, Abnormal Summit, a quick bit about Jinho's trip with Lady Jane. etc), stitch them together, put a song over it, and put a big thank you message to Bumbi at the beginning and maybe the end, and sign it from English speakers everywhere or something along those lines, then tweet Bumbi a link to it on youtube or another video site along with a thank you message in the tweet. If you wanted to make it kind of jokey you could make it basically nothing but Jinho-focused stuff, but I'd go with more of an overall homage to Bumbi's subs.

I know very, VERY little about how to do any of that, but I'm sure somebody does, so something to consider once this season's wrapped.

Maybe something similar to this thank you video from Shenmue fans. Specifically the part at 1:06 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4nG7m0FZhc

I was not expecting that twist to the main match ending at all. I wasn't paying too much attention since the last 3 rounds was just everybody posting $1 so I was assuming it was a straightforward Hyunmin win. I was totally baited :(

This was actually a complaint my brother had when I introduced the show to him. He didn't like in the first couple episodes of season 1 how the editors would intentionally hide information for a big reveal later on. He felt it was a little cheap so I'm not sure if he finished the season :(

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 24, 2015

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

gently caress yeah, Mentality King. :black101:

Maduo fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 24, 2015

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I liked this episode, it was The Revenge Of The Fruit Shop.

awww yissss Mentality King + Junseok playing the nash equilibrium. At first I thought Junseok was being dumb, but that was pretty good and they deserved the win for that.

I think this is the first time Yoohyun definitely beat Hyunmin on a main match.

Death match was p good, too bad Yoonsun lost stamina.

trucutru posted:

with an obvious strategy that three different teams picked up

2. Come on Dongmin+Hyunmin's strategy was awful, and I'm glad people took advantage of that.

Maduo posted:

This is funny as heck on hindsight.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Straight Shooter Captain America Justice Kyungran was in fine form this ep.

Maduo posted:

Wanna empty quote this forever (but I'm still rooting for Kyungran overall)

Peacheshead
Oct 21, 2010

Zythrst posted:

Another amazing game of The Genius. That main match twist was pretty great, Yeonseung and Junseok are such natural allies and it ended up working so well. Also was cool to have a 100% skills death match, and a competitive on too, though a special equation usage would have been neat, maybe if Hweejong was around.

The problem with the special equation is that since 1, 4, and 9 are the only perfect squares on the board, you can only use the equation with target numbers of 3, 4, and 5 (I don't think any of these came up?). Maybe it would be better if the equation was x2+y2. Still a very tense death match though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
God drat was that a fantastic episode. I love how out of the Yeonseung and Junseok duo, Yeonseung was the man with the plan there. Only Yoohyun realised it in the same way; Hyunmin kind of did as well but his implementation was worse. Like Dongmin said, their biggest weakness in this instance was greed. Their real biggest weakness in general is they are, by far, too well known a team now. Also goddamn dangerous because their strength are basically the entire game.

Deathmatch started off great, picked up steam and that one mistake by Yoonsun at the end cost her big time. The season 2 curse continues, but in this case it's not necessarily a bad thing. As soon as Hyunmin named his 3 options I knew the deathmatch was going to be amazing no matter who he picked. Out of the 4, Yoonsun will probably be missed the least (Kyunghoon's isolation is made very well known and obvious but hers was all over and super subtle; she was standing alone from everyone else in a few group shots, it was only brought up once in episode 2 etc. etc.) so I can't say I'll be sad to see her go. That said, I was kind of expecting her to win if only because Hyunmin seemed like he'd all but given up despite what he said. From the instant Hyunmin's loss of the main match was revealed he looked like he was going to burst into tears at any moment and it was even more noticeable whenever Yoonsun got a number right in the deathmatch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Interesting main match this time.

One of my biggest complaints about the series (and really it's not that much of a complaint) is that the players tend to not be ruthless enough. It's what let Sangmin run roughshod over most of them; he was one of the few who was really willing to get in there and do some dirty work. This game the knives really came out.

Dongmin was beaming when he realized Yeonseung had played all of them. :v:

In the deathmatch, I thought they were avoiding giving information to their opponents and then they just started going nuts. The square roots weren't useful since the only numbers you could make with them were 3, 4, and 5.

trucutru posted:

Meh, the main match was awful. with an obvious strategy that three different teams picked up (gee, there are 12 auctions and each player is given six tickets, I wonder what a good team number would be). And again, they didn't get any extra garnets (not that is was actually possible to get more than a couple) and "betrayals" are not the same when everybody knows you cannot trust any group. They tried to save that mess with the editing but when all the auctions in the last 3 rounds of the game are for $1 things cannot really be interesting. They really need to go back to forced team or individual games. The elimination match was also lovely, 10-6? there wasn't even a cut to commercials for the final reveal

The way to get the advantage in the main match was to convince other people to play a bad strategy. Putting more than one ticket in was a really bad idea unless you you could completely isolate yourself, but there were a few who did it anyway. The more people you could convince to play badly, the more profit you earned.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Peacheshead posted:

The problem with the special equation is that since 1, 4, and 9 are the only perfect squares on the board, you can only use the equation with target numbers of 3, 4, and 5 (I don't think any of these came up?). Maybe it would be better if the equation was x2+y2. Still a very tense death match though.

I was thinking they had some extra rule regarding truncation (I vaguely recall a game that did that before with square roots?) but still there was no way to use it for a number bigger than 6. 10 was the smallest number that came up.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Symbolic Butt posted:

I was thinking they had some extra rule regarding truncation (I vaguely recall a game that did that before with square roots?) but still there was no way to use it for a number bigger than 6. 10 was the smallest number that came up.

Season 3 had the number auction game that truncated any decimal points. In it, 10.9 would be truncated to 10.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Was expecting to go in here and post "ugh, another Hyunmin stomps the entire match game, just what I expected". That was a good twist, thank you editors. Also, why didn't someone go all-in with like four tickets on Shrimp and two on the others and offer it for $1 in round one? Alternatively, why didn't Jinho all-in with his three remaining tickets and get $3 instead of $1? I don't understand why people didn't play the multi-sale thing harder. Yeongsung won because he dare sold two at the same time...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Symbolic Butt posted:

They very specifically stated that the targets were all natural (whole) numbers, so I think the 1/4/9->3/4/5 analysis is spot-on, and probably also why using the special equation counted for double.

The editing was pretty drat good. I knew they were way overselling a Hyunmin steamroll but it was impossible to tell quite how it would go down, or that it would go quite so horribly as it did. I've been rewatching season 1 with a newbie recently, and within the first two episodes they picked up on an obvious Jinho winner edit. Then again, it's easier to avoid that with almost literally the entire cast being viable contenders.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Not really sure how much of an edit they can do for most of them, since they film only a few episodes behind each season.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I know that was the case from season 2 and on, but I'm not so sure about season 1. I'd easily believe they got it all in the can to sell it as a full series.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

I know that was the case from season 2 and on, but I'm not so sure about season 1. I'd easily believe they got it all in the can to sell it as a full series.

Can you point out the specific edit? They mention watching the previous broadcast one week, so I doubt they really did it all up-front.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can you point out the specific edit? They mention watching the previous broadcast one week, so I doubt they really did it all up-front.

Specifically flattering camera angles and focus. I don't know, he spotted it very specifically and I didn't, but an episode or two in it seemed very uncanny. He also noted the hilariously staged aspects of the introduction. Not sure whether to veer genuine or cynical on this one.

ninja: in particular, he noted that the camera on Jinho came in from a lower angle, which gives an imposing, statuesque impression.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Well its funny you guys should mention it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbBThgoyfSA

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Really refreshing episode, nice to see players other than the big 4 making plays and taking names. Junseok, Yoohyun, and Yeonseung all looking strong, and I'm happy to see Yoohyun in particular start to do things on his own. Jinho and Kyungran seem really behind the curve relative to the others though, they're both behind even Jungmoon in backstabbing and scheming. Now that all the S2 are gone, the S1 players as a group sans Junseok seem solidly weaker than S3 though. None of them have really been playmakers, just following into massive alliances that don't actually result in wins.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Loved the episode.

This episode really reminded me why I hated Hyunmin so much during the first half of S3, and when he started trying to convince Kyungran "Look, we'll all be safe just as long as we all agree to throw Yeonseung under the bus," that feeling of disgust came back. So when the final reveal happened, I was ecstatic.

Still rooting for him to lose, ideally at the hands of Titty God.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Really surprised to see hyunmin lose a main match.

Junseok looks too strong right now, how different would S1 have gone if he hadn't trusted Jinho?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This season is the best season. I was not expecting that outcome at all.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Pretty good epsiode, it can't really measure up to how completely bonkers episodes 2 and 3 were, but it was still solid.

Mentality King and Junseok really stepped up their game this episode, it was interesting to see everyone trying to plan stuff out when the winner had been decided in the first round. We watched like 30 minutes of pure misdirection and bluffing from various people who had varying opinions on where exactly their alliance was in the game. It was nice to see Tittygod get dragged into the most effective strategy and still not produce a winner for his team, he really is a curse. Oh, and season 2 curse continues, goddamn look out Jinho.

Beating Hyunmin in a Deathmatch is drat hard, I have to give big props to Yoonsun for coming as close as she did. I agree that the square root function was useless though, there are lots of better things they could have put on there, using squares instead would be the bare minimum on where to start. Using only addition with 1, 4, 9, 16, etc. is pretty drat tough, but still has way more numbers you could theoretically apply it too.

I'm looking forward to King Dongmin next week, he's been shown up a few times recently and the game looks like a mafia variant, and he has literally played 1,000+ games of mafia if his bio on Crime Scene is to be believed. If he doesn't win or at least pull off some amazing plays I'll be shocked.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

That game design could have been a disaster if the entire cast had been on the cutthroat angle since there was literally no rational reason to ever bet anything other than $1. Imagine a 10-way tie.

This episode really highlighted how Kyungran and Jinho's playstyles are outdated because no one outside S1-cast-sans-Junseok cares about any kind of honor code, and Sangmin who was making the dirty plays for that team is gone. Meanwhile Junseok's experience of season 1 has transformed him into :stare: Stone Cold Lee Junseok and it's great.

Edit: It was also cool how Junseok and Kyunghoon deliberately used their poison reputation as an advantage, while Yoonsun's passive ghosting was what lead to her doom

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 24, 2015

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

NowonSA posted:

Pretty good epsiode, it can't really measure up to how completely bonkers episodes 2 and 3 were, but it was still solid.

Mentality King and Junseok really stepped up their game this episode, it was interesting to see everyone trying to plan stuff out when the winner had been decided in the first round. We watched like 30 minutes of pure misdirection and bluffing from various people who had varying opinions on where exactly their alliance was in the game. It was nice to see Tittygod get dragged into the most effective strategy and still not produce a winner for his team, he really is a curse. Oh, and season 2 curse continues, goddamn look out Jinho.

Beating Hyunmin in a Deathmatch is drat hard, I have to give big props to Yoonsun for coming as close as she did. I agree that the square root function was useless though, there are lots of better things they could have put on there, using squares instead would be the bare minimum on where to start. Using only addition with 1, 4, 9, 16, etc. is pretty drat tough, but still has way more numbers you could theoretically apply it too.

I'm looking forward to King Dongmin next week, he's been shown up a few times recently and the game looks like a mafia variant, and he has literally played 1,000+ games of mafia if his bio on Crime Scene is to be believed. If he doesn't win or at least pull off some amazing plays I'll be shocked.

I agree with this prediction.

In all honesty, I think SA has broken our expectations of mafia. This might be more a discussion for TGR, but as a wholly mediocre SA mafia player, I dominated in a real life game of werewolf among experienced players. It'll be interesting to take it from our weird goony perspective, and weird real life perspectives, and see how Korean celebrities deal with it.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Kyungran really is a saint. I really hope she makes it to the end!

Honestly, I wasn't too big of a fan of the main match until the very end. As I feared from last week, the MinMin alliance immediately rose its head and made the social plays way more boring. Sangmin was too great at disrupting them. However...

M. E. N. T. A. L. I. T. Y. K. I. N. G!

Yeonsung is awesome. I was a huge fan when he got revenge during the second Middle Race in S3, so it was great seeing Hyunmin's plan fall straight through. I appreciate Junseok's willingness to break any majority plans as well.

Yoonsun was also great to see during the deathmatch! Definitely left the episode feeling a ton of respect for her, and I enjoyed seeing Hyunmin sweat. Best part was the whole :objection: in the middle :allears: I knew the lone wolf approach would fail eventually, but at least she left with pride (and finished off the S2 elimination train). I hope she comes back later with Sangmin as guests. The Emperor can just stay home...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nondevor posted:

Kyungran really is a saint. I really hope she makes it to the end!

Honestly, I wasn't too big of a fan of the main match until the very end. As I feared from last week, the MinMin alliance immediately rose its head and made the social plays way more boring. Sangmin was too great at disrupting them. However...

M. E. N. T. A. L. I. T. Y. K. I. N. G!

Yeonsung is awesome. I was a huge fan when he got revenge during the second Middle Race in S3, so it was great seeing Hyunmin's plan fall straight through. I appreciate Junseok's willingness to break any majority plans as well.

Yoonsun was also great to see during the deathmatch! Definitely left the episode feeling a ton of respect for her, and I enjoyed seeing Hyunmin sweat. Best part was the whole :objection: in the middle :allears: I knew the lone wolf approach would fail eventually, but at least she left with pride (and finished off the S2 elimination train). I hope she comes back later with Sangmin as guests. The Emperor can just stay home...

Junseok: gently caress y'all, Imma sell for a dollar.

Others: Um, wat

[Junseok alliance wins, and he never lies]

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

MENTALITY KING

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Well that Jinho preview from last week didn't pan out, he was extremely useless this game. It almost seemed as if he wanted to go to a death match.

The counter to the $1 strategy is for two players to team up, match their picks and have one player bet $5 and the other $1. For example, I wonder if Dongmin could have won the game if he had convinced Jinho to only bet $5 during the last two rounds. (EDIT: doing some rough calculations I think that in that particular scenario it wouldn't have worked, doing it only 3x isn't enough because the other competitors that are already ahead pointwise profit too much).

But Dongmin didn't even seem to realize that Hyunmin had already potentially lost the game by round 2, you'd think he should have picked up on Junseok doing the same strategy. The fact that a player like Yeonsung didn't even try to check his earnings should have also been suspicious. And the secret item used on mackerels was also fishy... After round 2 they could have easily checked if there were other players potentially spreading out their picks like they were.

Their problem wasn't greed, it was hubris by thinking they were the only real players in the game. Even though Hyunmin failed to follow the instructions, Dongmin still thought they would win.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 24, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Wow Welcome to business school.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Piriwi posted:

The counter to the $1 strategy is for two players to team up, match their picks and have one player bet $5 and the other $1.

You can't give the token to the elimination candidate.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The real winner here was Bandage Man as not a single garnet was won by anyone due to their $1 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

CeeJee posted:

The real winner here was Bandage Man as not a single garnet was won by anyone due to their $1 games

The garnet goals were super unrealistic to begin with though. You'd have to either convince everyone play a perfect $5 every time game or make huge profit off multiple lucrative betrayals without someone undercutting you. And that's just for the 1 garnet tier :wtc: