Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Chillyrabbit posted:

I have used a Samsung galaxy Tab 2.0 (7 in), I can fit the whole page of a manga on my tablet using forced downsizing to about 80% and its mostly readable, but the smaller non bubble speech text is unreadable unless you squint. I would honestly say go for a 8 in or bigger at least to comfortable read.

I bought a 10" galaxy tab a couple years ago, and I love it for reading manga. But I like reading scroll-able manga more than click through readers. It's definitely more enjoyable than trying to use your phone or a laptop, that's for sure.

In other news, Yoake ni Furu (the sequel to Yozora no Sumikko de) has a new chapter translated/edited. Yay!

Also, I don't think I've seen it posted about, but Hidamari ga Kikoeru is being continued into a second volume. Also yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
New Wakabayashi Toshiya (Tsurezure Children) 4komas.

http://bato.to/read/_/334613/tsurezure-children_v1_ch17.5_by_tsurezure-scans/

Holy crossovers, batman! Apparently everybody goes to the same school.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
So are we eventually going to see the stuff in the original 4komas in Tsurezure Children? I'm confused by what's going on here and whether it's the same thing with extras or a continuation or what, and the scanlations starting so far in isn't helping.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

DoubleDonut posted:

So are we eventually going to see the stuff in the original 4komas in Tsurezure Children? I'm confused by what's going on here and whether it's the same thing with extras or a continuation or what, and the scanlations starting so far in isn't helping.

I don't think so. It makes sense that there are extras for the people who bought the volumes, and I think the pixiv comics are going to introduce different plots.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
So is it just a published form of the original stuff? I'm asking so I can explain to people who I want to read it whether they need to check out the stuff called Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-Koma Collection or not, basically.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DoubleDonut posted:

So is it just a published form of the original stuff? I'm asking so I can explain to people who I want to read it whether they need to check out the stuff called Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-Koma Collection or not, basically.

Yeah it looks to be a published form of the original 4komas, with some extras added in. Batoto has them split up though. I think eventually they'll get merged together under Tsurezure Children, as more scans and translations come in.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 25, 2015

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
It's one reason why the uploader of the serialized version is labeling the chapters out of order - they're supposed to go after the chapters in the pixiv version. Check out both!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Alright, thanks. I wasn't even aware the original stuff came from pixiv in the first place.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
uh I just finished the four volumes of Princess Jellyfish on Crunchyroll and that was the most fun I've had reading a comic in loving ages

Is there any timeline for the rest of the series to be released on there? I assume that now that it's licensed, it's been taken down from everywhere :smith:

also, is the show worth watching?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
The show is really really good (never watched the dub). I have no idea what content it has compared to the manga though cause it finishes so nicely I just figured that that was it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tarezax posted:

New Wakabayashi Toshiya (Tsurezure Children) 4komas.

http://bato.to/read/_/334613/tsurezure-children_v1_ch17.5_by_tsurezure-scans/

Holy crossovers, batman! Apparently everybody goes to the same school.
"Take a look in the mirror. There's your answer~"

Oh my god.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

uh I just finished the four volumes of Princess Jellyfish on Crunchyroll and that was the most fun I've had reading a comic in loving ages

Is there any timeline for the rest of the series to be released on there? I assume that now that it's licensed, it's been taken down from everywhere :smith:

also, is the show worth watching?

Not sure what their timeline is, but it literally only got picked up a few weeks ago, so hopefully it won't take long. I somehow never actually finished the show, got hooked on the manga instead.
The OP is freakin amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJoeGEEu5L4

:siren:You should however definitely read her autobiographical manga Kakukaku Shikajika right now though, i like it even more (and i like Princess Jellyfish a whole hell of a lot)
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kakukaku-shikajika-r10369

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

:siren:You should however definitely read her autobiographical manga Kakukaku Shikajika right now though, i like it even more (and i like Princess Jellyfish a whole hell of a lot)
Maybe the best manga I've read.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just wanted to thank you guys for the tablet recommendations and such :) It sounds like the best option for me would be a Samsung Galaxy Tab S, I am just unsure about the screen size.. It basically sounds like the most practical and high-quality tablet around that has a great rep, and seems to be highly esteemed in the Tablet thread for "Inspect your gadgets" and has an unusually high approval rate on Amazon for a Tablet (4.6) when most tablets on Amazon - even their native Kindles - are usually always a few tenths lower at least. The price point is also exactly what I was intending to spend. More than anything else I think this is the best one because it seems to have the highest quality screen.

But about the screen size, the two options are an 8.4-inch screen or the 10.5-inch. Initially I thought I should *obviously* go with the 10.5-inch one, but now I'm thinking it might actually be too big, after looking at comparison shot.

I was just measuring my physical manga, and here's what I can tell based on my collection:

A "normal-sized" volume of American manga has a height that varies from 7" - 7"; but the most common height by far is ~7.25", which is what both SuBLime and DMP (for their normal-sized manga) use. The width is pretty much always about 5 and one-eighths inches - sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. The panel layouts generally utilize the full height, but not quite the full width (due to the spine and binding) so it's rare for the width to exceed 5 inches.

So based on that, I look at the 8.4 and I think it may be big enough, at least in relative size. But I don't think this really transfers over. But the point is, the 8.4 is much more... book like, in terms of how it looks and how you hold it. I'm a bit afraid the 10.5 will be a bit unwieldy. But at the same time, I have big hands, so perhaps not. I'm ultimately thinking it might be best/safer to go with the 10.5.

To the fellow who had the big 10-inch Asus tablet... It wasn't too unwieldy or difficult to read manga with it? I think I may go to Best Buy just to hold these drat things in my hands and get an idea of their physical size before I decide.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
Yeah, it actually is kinda unwieldy, but I have kind of weak wrists (like, pre-carpal tunnel) and do not have large hands. I do like it for reading manga, though. I think going to the store is a good idea, or borrow one from someone for an hour and position yourself however you read for comfort purposes. I think 8.4" sounds just fine; I kind of made a snap judgement because I wanted it to arrive in time for a trip I was going on and erred on the side of too large.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I've been using an iPad 3 since they came out and I have pretty much no complaints about reading on it using 3rd party apps like mangastorm

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

kaworu posted:

I have big hands, so perhaps not.

Do you have yaoi hands?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I wanted to have a few posts to make sure this is separate from the award-winning josei drama, but this is the best thing Morinaga Milk's done since Girl Friends (that I've noticed). Only two chapters so far, but it's becoming monthly after this one, aw yeah baby.
http://dynasty-scans.com/series/hana_and_hina_after_school

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Please never stop posting when there's an update of it. :)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Do you have yaoi hands?

Oh god, I actually kind of do. I actually have a number of anime-ish characteristics but it would to be embarrassing to list them, and in the real world it's really just resulted in a disturbing number of first dates with seemingly okay guys who admit to being pedophiles. hosed up stuff.

I've actually never really gone to any anime conventions besides our local one a tiny a bit. I'm thinking of going to my first soon but I truly don't even know where to begin. I live in Portland, Maine and our piddly little local convention was last month and I missed it. I actually have to visit a friend in CA soon and yaoi-con is in SF in September and I was thinking of going, as I do know at least a few old friends from way back in the day and am still in touch with a couple to some degree. I suppose I have this odd desire to find people who actually like this stuff also, because I don't really know anyone like that IRL... It's look I'm looking for my tribe :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

kaworu posted:

and in the real world it's really just resulted in a disturbing number of first dates with seemingly okay guys who admit to being pedophiles. hosed up stuff.
There's so much wrong with this. :psyduck:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

I wanted to have a few posts to make sure this is separate from the award-winning josei drama, but this is the best thing Morinaga Milk's done since Girl Friends (that I've noticed). Only two chapters so far, but it's becoming monthly after this one, aw yeah baby.

It's pretty cute. For some reason I agree about it being better than her other fare, despite the fact that it's really just familiar tropes and characters at this point...I guess it's got some kinda X-factor.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yay! I didn't see a new chapter had come out.

keanerie
Nov 3, 2007

a kitten posted:

Not sure what their timeline is, but it literally only got picked up a few weeks ago, so hopefully it won't take long. I somehow never actually finished the show, got hooked on the manga instead.
The OP is freakin amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJoeGEEu5L4

Is any of Higashimura's other work translated? I know she's done a lot more aside from Kuragehime and Kakukaku but am having a hard time tracking down any of it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

keanerie posted:

Is any of Higashimura's other work translated? I know she's done a lot more aside from Kuragehime and Kakukaku but am having a hard time tracking down any of it.

http://bato.to/search?artist_name=HIGASHIMURA%20Akiko

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh beaten while i was looking, but yeah there's a few although i haven't read any of them.

http://bato.to/search?artist_name=HIGASHIMURA%20Akiko

VVVV
that's pretty much what i was afraid of.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 27, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its mostly one shots or series someone translated a few issues of and then stopped

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Chas McGill posted:

Maybe the best manga I've read.
Yeah it's really, really up there. Like I don't know how compares to something like Nausicaä (because why would you compare them?) but it's just so god drat good.

Please read Kakukaku Shikajika if you haven't already!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Neat stuff in the latest Tamen De Gushi. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What the hell happened? A baseball?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Clearly this is the story's natural evolution into an action-thriller.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I've never been worried by a manga before.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And two more Yona.

As well as two new Wakabayashi 4-koma!

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 27, 2015

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh man. So I have been looking for this particularly rare and expensive volume of manga Private Teacher Volume 1, or Katekyo. Mostly because it has pretty great art, the sort or fluffy/silly stuff I like, and it's uncensored - somewhat rare in yaoi manga, occasionally it's absurd and instead of a cock you seen a big white space or it's just confusingly half-drawn. Makes me really appreciate that manga with correctly drawn anatomy.

But anyway, if you click on the manga link from that goodreads page, you will see that the cheapest used copy of Volume 1 is $231, and the cheapest new copy of volume 1 is an absurd $2,159.15 (I don't think anyone is really going to pay $2k for a volume of manga). But again, this is consistent through-out all the sites. Barnes and Noble has it for $316, while half.com has a single copy left for the same price ($316). And Volume 2? That goes for $60 used or $80 new, and that's been consistent. I actually found a cheap used copy in perfect condition about a week ago (of volume 2) from a UK seller for only $15 and $5 shipping, but it will apparently take like a month to actually get here - but I couldn't pass it up. Volume 3 costs $25 last time I checked, but I picked up the one last cheap copy on amazon that was still priced at $11. Volume 4 is still in print and costs a normal $7-$10 - haven't bought it yet.

So I have been searching for this manga on ebay every day, hoping someone puts up a copy of volume 1. It kills me - in the sold listings I saw that a used set of volumes 1-3 sold for $30 at the beginning of July, which is an insane mispricing on the part of the seller - but someone else snapped that one up before me.

But I log in today, and what do I see but a full set (all brand new and shrink-wrapped, 1 through 4) of this series, going for $175. I had just made a really good profit by selling a new full set of the Finder series for $160, so my paypal wallet was in good shape. I mean... even though I own copies of 2 and 3 the math definitely works out in my favor, and the only other new copy of Volume 1 I've found online costs over 2K like I said, even thoiugh that's absurd I still imagine it would command at least $200, even though I will likely hang on to it for now. So I made the purchase, hell yes. I mean, the fact that the whole lot sells for $175 and it includes a new copy of Volume 1, which sells for a minimum of $200 realistically... Well, tough to resist that. I mean, I'll be ending up with 2 copies of volumes 2 and 3 (and can get another copy of volume 4 for very cheap) - so I can also sell volumes 2-4 for about $80-$100 on Ebay/Amazon most likely (given that volume 2 costs $60+ and volume 3 costs $20+ that's reasonable) and that'll recoup a lot of the cost. Oof, it feels so complicated sometimes. But still, helluva deal, and I don't normally say that after spending that kinda money but when you can turn it around into even more in the end, and the profit margins are as thick as $50-$100 on some of these sales... Well, it's very addictive to just get into this cycle of selling and buying that pays for itself.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 27, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
ADTRW: Dicks and Dollars

(also goddamn tamen de gushi so short :[)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hells yes, dicks and dollars is right - :dong::20bux::dong:. Cocks and cash. Dongs and dough. Pricks and paydays. ... errm that's probably enough

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New Taiyou no Ie epilogue chapter with some closure for Sugimoto.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i always knew in my kokoro, that they were a hot guy all along

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Certainly wasn't really expecting that sort of direction. Also, looks like it'll be an entire new volume (the 13th) of extra chapters just like Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I'm happy for you. A bit aghast that anyone pays that much for manga, but happy for you.