Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Phanatic posted:

In contrast to the previous prices I reported, Chuck's Hop Shop in Seattle is pretty incredible. 42 taps with a really solid selection, including some Midnight Sun, and ridiculously good bottle prices ($5.60 for Hop Stoopid? Yes, please), and specials ($5 for a flight of 4 IPAs always plus events, which tonight was $5 for four radlers), and a pretty damned good food truck out front. Go there. Drink things.

Hop Stoopid is usually $4.99 here down in CA, it's just a damned good deal of a beer. But Chuck's Hop Shop is the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apache
May 11, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm going to look for it but I doubt it's here in sarasota//bradenton.

If you make it into Tampa, they still have some in their Ybor tasting room, which is one of the better tasting rooms around.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Apache posted:

If you make it into Tampa, they still have some in their Ybor tasting room, which is one of the better tasting rooms around.

I'll be in the area tomorrow so gently caress yes.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

for all you west coast beer holmes skillets, this year's Aroma Coma is much better than last year's. and Drake's actually made Aroma Prieta this year too which is cool, unlike last year

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

for all you west coast beer holmes skillets, this year's Aroma Coma is much better than last year's. and Drake's actually made Aroma Prieta this year too which is cool, unlike last year

Hopefully this will lead to my local getting rid of their 4 packs of last year's Aroma Coma

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

MunchE posted:

Hopefully this will lead to my local getting rid of their 4 packs of last year's Aroma Coma

pretty sure Aroma Coma is bomber/draft only, maybe you're thinking of Alpha Session? I think that's the only 4 pack they offer, at least that I can think of. anyways it really is much better this year

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

I'll probably be there for a bit some time this weekend or upcoming week, so that's great news. Coma was pretty mediocre last year and Prieta was definitely missed. Did you happen to try the third release, Aroma Therapy?

And yes, Aroma stuff is always either bomber/draft or draft only.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Senf posted:

I'll probably be there for a bit some time this weekend or upcoming week, so that's great news. Coma was pretty mediocre last year and Prieta was definitely missed. Did you happen to try the third release, Aroma Therapy?

And yes, Aroma stuff is always either bomber/draft or draft only.

no I was at a bar with just Coma and Prieta. but one of the patrons worked at Drake's and said that Therapy is the hop bill of both so the bartender made a cuvee of both and let some of us try it. it smelt nice but it kinda tasted like nothing, like they canceled out each other's flavor. I doubt it was actually close to the real Therapy but was funny to try.

he also talked about a triple dry hopped version of Coma called Paloma that I kinda want to go to San Leandro just to try haha

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Holy poo poo. My local beer group is imploding at an alarming rate. The question "How fresh is it, whats the bottle date?" has gone full retard and is now a series personal attacks and brewers slamming each other. It was funny for like the first 60 replies, but for fucks sake, openly slamming other brewers and making persoal attacks on social media is a pretty lovely way to represent a brand.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'll be in the area tomorrow so gently caress yes.

Snagged one, it was roasty without a strong fishy taste. I loved it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

No_talent posted:

Holy poo poo. My local beer group is imploding at an alarming rate. The question "How fresh is it, whats the bottle date?" has gone full retard and is now a series personal attacks and brewers slamming each other. It was funny for like the first 60 replies, but for fucks sake, openly slamming other brewers and making persoal attacks on social media is a pretty lovely way to represent a brand.

Beer nerds ruin everything

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
So I went to Greece, and literally the only beer worth drinking was called Crazy Donkey from the Santorini Brewing Company, Greece's first (and maybe only) IPA. It cost 20 euros for a 750ml bottle and was kind of good. Greece is pretty freaking awesome but just drink wine or be ok with drinking more Alpha and Mythos than you thought your palate could take.

For reference, the other beers we had from Santorini Brewing Company were Not Good. At all.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

the yellow dart posted:

For reference, the other beers we had from Santorini Brewing Company were Not Good. At all.

not surprising if you know that Santorum is the westernized version of Santorini

No_talent posted:

any good digs to share?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

the yellow dart posted:

It cost 20 euros for a 750ml bottle and was kind of good.

:staredog: I'd hope more than kind of good for $21.95 USD.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Nth Doctor posted:

:staredog: I'd hope more than kind of good for $21.95 USD.

You would hope...but no.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

the yellow dart posted:

So I went to Greece, and literally the only beer worth drinking was called Crazy Donkey from the Santorini Brewing Company, Greece's first (and maybe only) IPA. It cost 20 euros for a 750ml bottle and was kind of good. Greece is pretty freaking awesome but just drink wine or be ok with drinking more Alpha and Mythos than you thought your palate could take.

I've seen it for cheaper than that but I guess YMMV. Anyway, Santorini Brewing Company is the Greek arm of a ramshackle brewery called Rocky Head in London. The guy divides his time between London and Santorini, and does a wine distro business on the side so ... yeah.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

the yellow dart posted:

There's a pretty clear division between beer territory and wine territory in Europe. I was in Lisbon, and it seemed impossible to find any craft beer at all, there was nothing but SUPER BOCK everywhere and some Sagres and if you're lucky, some foreign big brands. There was a beer museum but it just had lovely macros from various countries that were once Portugese colonies... Couldn't find anything with some quick Googling either. Only on the last day I ran into some beers by Oitava Colina, a Lisbon-based brewery, which were pretty good. And I only found them in an Austrian cafe full of foreigners, so that doesn't really count.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

any good digs to share?

Not really. Unless you're familiar with the beer scen in Saskatoon Saskatchewan.... Some smart remarks about if a beer was less than 2 months old (Thanks SLGA!) he would drink nothing but one of the less adventerous breweries for a month and then a distributor and the brewer started going at it with a dude who likes to troll people. More brewers and people joined up launching personal attacks and shaming eashother business/skills. The only useful information came, oddly, from one of the guys on the attack somehow managed to have normal productive discussion on disrto laws with another brewer who didn't get involved.

We're like 10 years behind where the US is at, but the scene just exploded since early 2014. It's growing pains, but still dumb.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

pretty sure Aroma Coma is bomber/draft only, maybe you're thinking of Alpha Session? I think that's the only 4 pack they offer, at least that I can think of. anyways it really is much better this year

You're right, I was thinking of Alpha Session. Gotta keep an eye out for the Aroma Coma

No_talent posted:

My local beer group has devolved into a bunch of dickheads posting "porch bombs" or ISO:FT for the newest stupid hype stout. Or guys going "Hey everyone, I heard Pliney is the best, where can I get it?"

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

MunchE posted:

My local beer group has devolved into a bunch of dickheads posting "porch bombs" or ISO:FT for the newest stupid hype stout. Or guys going "Hey everyone, I heard Pliney is the best, where can I get it?"

You're part of the STL group too?! Oh wait, you left out the part your Sick Side Project stash

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

trauma llama posted:

You're part of the STL group too?! Oh wait, you left out the part your Sick Side Project stash

are there chug videos? people can do whatever they like with things they own, but, man, i really don't loving get it, especially when you're doing it with world-class beer- it's like having an eating competition with real Kobe beef or something

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

MunchE posted:

Yeah it seems like pretty much every beer group devolves into that and chug videos. I guess there is really only so much to say about beer though. Once you've been involved in the community for a couple years it starts to get pretty stale.

funkybottoms posted:

are there chug videos? people can do whatever they like with things they own, but, man, i really don't loving get it, especially when you're doing it with world-class beer- it's like having an eating competition with real Kobe beef or something

From the people who brought you "$100 Stout Drain Pour" comes "1337 Chugz," the newest innovation in dick waving! Don't be some nerd who carefully sips their pumpkin peach beer, BLAST THAT poo poo DOWN YOUR GULLET!

Keep your eyes peeled for a sneak preview of our next product, "Di$gusting Cuvees ft. Fou & Derivaton."

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

are there chug videos?

Still my favorite d-bag chugger, to this day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuJeYaxmh1A

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

WaffleStomp posted:

Still my favorite d-bag chugger, to this day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuJeYaxmh1A

Counterargument: These guys are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIyV0J2IEGI

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Fat Lou posted:

Counterargument: These guys are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIyV0J2IEGI

:agreed:

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

funkybottoms posted:

Nah no chug videos. Worst: drain poor/ pics videos

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So I lucked out on the Velvet Speedway Stout sale and opened a bottle this weekend with some friends. Not the vanilla bomb I was expecting, overall it is closer to BA speedway with a subtle vanilla flavor that blends into the bourbon, coffee, and malt. For me the initial taste was a rich bourbon sweetness that changed to a sweet caramel or marshmallow like flavor. Still some heat from the alcohol though. Everyone seemed to taste something different which was cool to hear. Finishes with smooth roasty coffee flavors. Definitely, a step up from the regular BA Speedway. Going to wait to around November for the other bottle to see if the alcohol fades a bit more but I wouldn't want to wait any longer as it is great right now.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
Can I get a recommendation for some kind of beer that doesn't taste like stale piss and can be found in common liquor stores in the southern US?

It's that or I just stick to mixed drinks.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

nehezir posted:

Can I get a recommendation for some kind of beer that doesn't taste like stale piss and can be found in common liquor stores in the southern US?

It's that or I just stick to mixed drinks.

you need to be more specific- i'm in the south and i can pick up really good beer at 7-11 or CVS

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I'm going to say this. Le cumbre; most underrated brewery. Everything I've had has been pretty drat good. If you haven't had it try and get some. Elevated Ipa is the tits. Project dank even better. Stout is solid. I don't like hefe but it was acceptable and their red ryeot awesome. Go forth and try to find some my friends. Unfortunately I'm drinking my last can so can't help.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

funkybottoms posted:

you need to be more specific- i'm in the south and i can pick up really good beer at 7-11 or CVS

Central arkansas. I guess I want a beer that tastes less bitter and more sour. Preferably with added flavors. I can't really tell which flavor is annoying me, barley or hops.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

sterster posted:

So I'm going to say this. Le cumbre; most underrated brewery. Everything I've had has been pretty drat good. If you haven't had it try and get some. Elevated Ipa is the tits. Project dank even better. Stout is solid. I don't like hefe but it was acceptable and their red ryeot awesome. Go forth and try to find some my friends. Unfortunately I'm drinking my last can so can't help.

Just went to La Cumbre today and enjoyed the hell out of it. Had pints or tastes of the Elevated, Red Ryeot, Cream Ale, Male Stripper and Dank and they were all from good to great. My favorites were probably the Dank and Male Stripper. Would have tried the Acclimated DIPA but $7 a pint seemed a tad too pricey to me given that I could get the others for $4.50 or $5.50 a pint. Overall a really awesome brewery though, my favorite spot in ABQ by far.

A distant second goes to Marble, whose Double White is the Legit Champion of Summertime Brews(tm).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nehezir posted:

Central arkansas. I guess I want a beer that tastes less bitter and more sour. Preferably with added flavors. I can't really tell which flavor is annoying me, barley or hops.

Sorry man you're out of luck. Arkansas doesn't have anything. Beer isn't cool there. Good try though.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

nehezir posted:

sweetness comes from malt and bitterness is generally due to hops (it can also come from highly-roasted malt in dark beers); sourness is typically the result of bacteria added along with traditional beer yeast. do you have a store nearby that sells single 12oz bottles that you can make you own six-pack with? the standard advice is to try a wide range of styles that way, then refine the results until you have a clearer understanding of what beers or breweries you do or do not like. if sour is for sure your thing, you might not find as many domestic examples (in Arkansas, at least), but a shop with a halfway-decent import section should have some things like Monk's Cafe, Petrus Oud Bruin or Aged Pale, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Rodenbach, and gueuze from Hanssens, Lindemans, or Oud Beersel

is La Cumbre underrated? i've certainly heard plenty of good stuff about them and i'm in VA

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

is La Cumbre underrated? i've certainly heard plenty of good stuff about them and i'm in VA

Them, Nexus, and Marble are who come up first when people bring up ABQ beer so I'm not sure underrated is the right word, more that they're in a location where expanding distro seems pretty tough.

So I guess this is the formal announcement, I've mostly told folks face to face, but I've been hanging under the radar in an effort to save money for a huge backpacking trip around the world. I won't go too deep into the itinerary, but the relevant part for the thread is how it'll include historic/"classical" beer related destinations that are either bucket list for me or because I haven't really seen them covered online.

My first "stop" was catching up with friends from DC and I really liked Bardo in the NE neighborhood. Fun spot to hang out and they surprised me since they've already hit the point of (seemingly) being consistent with their core styles to where they can experiment with stuff like their ginger beer and a gruit that did an awesome job balancing between herb, malt bitter, sweet, and sour.

Bardo's namesake comes from the bar dog, and it's the most dog friendly beer hangout I've ever been to, outside of a few places that are explicitly dog parks that happen to have a bar. This is not so much a tasting room, and more of place to meet up with a lot of friends to have a few pitchers of beer and play corn hole.

The big concern I do have is how would they maintain consistency given that all of their equipment is outdoors? Other down side is location, but I think there aren't many production breweries located conveniently to a metro station.

Next up: I'm flying from JFK to Dusseldorf tonight. Stoked about altbier at the source.

air- fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 28, 2015

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

So I guess this is the formal announcement, I've mostly told folks face to face, but I've been hanging under the radar in an effort to save money for a huge backpacking trip around the world. I won't go too deep into the itinerary, but the relevant part for the thread is how it'll include historic/"classical" beer related destinations that are either bucket list for me or because I haven't really seen them covered online.

i'm excited for you, man- just sad that i won't be able to send you beer for such a long time!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Sounds awesome! Thanks for the Bardo review; I'll head out there when I next have a chance.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ChickenArise posted:

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the Bardo review; I'll head out there when I next have a chance.

Someone behind the bar mentioned they a have more fancy pants location in the works, so that's gotta mean someone with deep pockets has their back!

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So...

To renew or not renew Bruery membership next year... that is, that is the question.

I've enjoyed my membership and I have a mule who doesnt' overcharge(just a thank you box after the bimonthly shipments,a nd nothing crazy) .

That being said, its $300 and at least 100/month and then you add on shipping.... its not cheap. I could take a brewery trip once a month, or save that for my friend's constant VT runs.... or use it for gas to get to Boston and back in a day....

Im torn on my decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

funkybottoms posted:

Hmmm :/ perhaps underrated isn't the right word. In the beer world I hear very few things about people looking for or talking about their beers. You hear about HT & FFF all the time. I guess I just think they should be closer to that well known. I honestly think elevated & project dank are on the same level or better than some of the well known Ipa/Dipa out there eg: Pliney, Blind Pig, ZD, HT, SOS etc.

It's my opinion and perhaps I'm wishing for my own 'heady' trade fodder.

Also, Funky, have you had any of their stuff? Perhaps I can get some out to you. I'm fresh out and might be able to pick up some stuff in the coming month or so.

Vertigo posted:

To renew or not renew Bruery membership next year... that is, that is the question.

Thought about splitting the membership with someone? Me and some buddies do that. We just kind of figure out who wants what bottles and generally we bottle share anything that's limited.

sterster fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 28, 2015