Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
About the same level, but there are screws. They provide a miniature wrench to screw them in and everything, it's kind of neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You don't even really need the wrench, but it does help if you can't get a good grip on those tiny, tiny bolts

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
gently caress, there's another one

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

There's been a ton of these, ever since that first one a while back. Personally, this one is my favorite:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

BlitzBlast posted:

Frame Arms are about the size of your average HG.

what? no they aren't, they come quite a bit larger. most aren't quite at 1/100 MG size, but some get kinda rediculous with how big they are. (which pushes the inner frame to nearly it's weight point.)

Also, some of the older ones are actually pretty decent, but that list is pretty much... well, the two Rapiers and the tank one that's not being re-released. most of the rest you'll want some glue handy.

E: there was a yellow one that transformed into a tank with pigtails that... seemingly never released? it was based on the one that transformed into a motorcycle, if I remember right.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 26, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There's been a ton of these, ever since that first one a while back. Personally, this one is my favorite:

I really wish I could find a WIP as to how people do this, because I would love to try something like this one day.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Colon Semicolon posted:

what? no they aren't, they come quite a bit larger.

Whoops, you're right. Looks like at bare minimum Frame Arms clock in around the size of CCA era UC.

Monaghan posted:

I really wish I could find a WIP as to how people do this, because I would love to try something like this one day.

It's pretty much "look at some art/an animation cel of the machine and do your best to match that shading". Some people go further and even reshape the parts but the paintjob's all you actually need.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Didn't win the competition but I lost to someone who I know IRL and respect the hell out of, and I got some useful constructive criticism. Maybe next time I decide to enter a contest I'll start more than a week in advance :V

Anyway, if anyone wants to buy a Sengoku no Jin, I am selling one in SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733231

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So along with getting several kits I recently picked up a set of tamiya tools which I've been using to build my Hi-Mock. Holy poo poo I knew games workshop tools sucked but I didn't know they sucked that much (I had some from when I didn't know any better).

Also I'm pretty sure the entire toolset cost less than a single tool from GW would, even if I don't have much need for the screwdrivers the clippers, files, knife and tweezers are all great.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, the Tamiya tool kit is really great for the price.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I got the keroro nippers and honestly, the tamiya vanilla nippers are pretty decent. Sharpen them once every 2 months and they do a great job.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ActionZero posted:

So along with getting several kits I recently picked up a set of tamiya tools which I've been using to build my Hi-Mock. Holy poo poo I knew games workshop tools sucked but I didn't know they sucked that much (I had some from when I didn't know any better).

Also I'm pretty sure the entire toolset cost less than a single tool from GW would, even if I don't have much need for the screwdrivers the clippers, files, knife and tweezers are all great.

When I started out I got the Tamiya tool kit, and it was so nice. I loved the knife up until the blade ran out and I switched to X-Acto. I still use the clippers for heavier cutting work to save my main clippers. I used the tweezers up until 2-3 months ago, and I use the flathead screwdriver from time to time when I'm applying putty.

The clippers and tweezers have been replaced by more Tamiya products, and my only complaint is that the spring on my clippers broke after a year-ish of use.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ActionZero posted:

Do not give Games Workshop money.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ActionZero posted:

boom boom boom posted:

Someone was contemplating buying GW tools and paint at the local hobby store. I encouraged them to look elsewhere. I can't believe I bought that poo poo once upon a time. :cripes:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh god, Games Workshop.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
So I'm building this dude at the mo:

Can anyone share some advice about what colours look decent for panel lines on green parts? Black?

[edit]

I should probably clarify that I don't have any dark green markers/paint. I do have grey/black/brown tamiya panel line ink stuff and a set of gundam markers with the classic rx-78 colours.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 27, 2015

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Is it FINALLY coming? http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2015/07/mg-1100-altron-gundam-glory-of-losers.html

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, they just had to break my heart, starting with Altron.

Still, if they keep doing novel stuff, we might get Prometheus someday in the future and :flashfap:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I better be able to pose it with long, stretchy arm action :colbert:

Also why am I now only realizing Altron's head looks identical to Wing's

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Man, they just had to break my heart, starting with Altron.

Still, if they keep doing novel stuff, we might get Prometheus someday in the future and :flashfap:

Altron is from Endless Waltz, not from a novel. They also didn't start with it, sinceboth Wing Zero and Deathscythe Hell already have MGs.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

Altron is from Endless Waltz, not from a novel. They also didn't start with it, sinceboth Wing Zero and Deathscythe Hell already have MGs.

The article says "Glory of Losers", isn't that one of the side novels, like Frozen Teardrop and all that? Seems like it's the first of the kits based on the novels, that's what I mean.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The article says "Glory of Losers", isn't that one of the side novels, like Frozen Teardrop and all that? Seems like it's the first of the kits based on the novels, that's what I mean.

I can't read japanese, but the image clearly says Endless Waltz. Gundamguy itself seems to be the only thing saying glory of losers, and it's been wrong before.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Droyer posted:

I can't read japanese, but the image clearly says Endless Waltz. Gundamguy itself seems to be the only thing saying glory of losers, and it's been wrong before.

EW Altron doesn't have the scorpion-tail beam cannon or the wings. They got added to the GOL version. It's another retcon to the EW Altron to make it more comparable to TV Altron.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

EW Altron doesn't have the scorpion-tail beam cannon or the wings. They got added to the GOL version. It's another retcon to the EW Altron to make it more comparable to TV Altron.

You're right. Nevermind then.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the mg heavyarms custom is going to be released soon. I just have to keep believing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

the mg heavyarms custom is going to be released soon. I just have to keep believing.

We're due for an RG announcement within the next few weeks, seeing as how they generally announce the next around the time the current one releases, so you could see the RG version first (:pray:).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

:hfive:

Is the Glory of Losers Heavyarms Custom particularly different than the EW one? Maybe another couple gatlings? :getin:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Is the Glory of Losers Heavyarms Custom particularly different than the EW one? Maybe another couple gatlings?

Gundam wikia has nothing on any retcon modifications on the other suits. I assume they are all the same as their EW versions.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Been asking for this for years BUT I kind of hope it doesn't because I still have the regular MG version on my backlog :v:

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

So I'm building this dude at the mo:

Can anyone share some advice about what colours look decent for panel lines on green parts? Black?

[edit]

I should probably clarify that I don't have any dark green markers/paint. I do have grey/black/brown tamiya panel line ink stuff and a set of gundam markers with the classic rx-78 colours.

Black is usually the go-to if you want a nice high-contrast look, though you could brush a blob of some of the brown on the back of a piece and see how it looks. Past a certain shade of green, any dark wash applied to it is just going to look like a watered-down black. It might not be as strong contrast-wise, but there isn't any really noticeable difference. Here's some Agrax on a Fenice piece for example:

If you can get it locally or if you're cool with ordering it, though, Vallejo makes an acrylic wash for their Game Color series that comes in Black, Grey, Brown, Green, and primaries. I picked up some of the Blue to try out on the Qan[T] and ∀ and it does its job pretty well. Not as dark as black would be, but not light enough to match the shade of the blue plastic. Would imagine the Green would look the same, except y'know, green.

It's totally optional, though, and the color is most noticeable on white, like that saber hilt, so unless you wanna do the white pieces with green lining (which might look kinda cool), it's more something to keep in mind.

Astro Creep fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 27, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Don't worry; I'm sure Bandai will make the Heavyarms Custom a P-Bandai exclusive. :q:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'd honestly be kind of surprised if they didn't after Tallgeese III. Sandrock Custom too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

closeted republican posted:

Don't worry; I'm sure Bandai will make the Heavyarms Custom a P-Bandai exclusive. :q:

Come on, that's too evil for even Bandai, don'cha thin-

BlitzBlast posted:

I'd honestly be kind of surprised if they didn't after Tallgeese III. Sandrock Custom too.

:negative:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Chinese knock-offs will be our salvation :v:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

boom boom boom posted:

Never again.

edit: Mocks are loving absurd.

I begin to suspect dark magic is afoot.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 27, 2015

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I ordered a couple of mocks myself today, I also have a ton of spare weapons and parts from broken/boring HG's. :getin:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Chinese knock-offs will be our salvation :v:

If Bandai keeps making almost every MG kit a P-Bandai kit, I'll seriously be tempted to start getting Chinese knockoffs because gently caress Bandai. I mean, they made the Amazing Red Warrior, something nobdy wanted, a regular release, but something cool, like the GM Cannon and FX--78-2 Heavy Gundam, are P-Bandai exclusives? That's horseshit.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The GM Cannon I don't get because they are already making MG GMs and I am 100% certain the Cannon parts are another couple of sprues, why not just do a full release? At least the exlcusives aren't ultra expensive and they seem to make a decent amount of them compared to their other toylines were even a thing that gets a regular release is impossible to come by.

The Red Warrior is obvious why it got a full release though, it's a Gundam but Char, easy money.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
There's some stuff I understand being P-Bandai exclusives, like the millions of MG Zaku II 2.0 recolors Bandai has made, but stuff that actually has significant differences from the base kit, like the GM Cannon, ZZ Zssa, and Pale Rider, really should get a regular release because of how different they are from their regular releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't remember any significant differences between the Zssas. ZZ version is just a different color without the shield and Sleeves details.